Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

I like Monuments and think they add some pretty neat additional layers to how you choose to expand. It's also just obviously a way better system than triggered modifiers lol.

I actually do like monuments, the main issues I have are that there's no easy way to find them (for some reason they never made a mapmode?) and that so many of them are so specific on activation requirements that it just makes them an upgradeable national idea rather than like a conquering bonus. If there was some really expensive way to make monuments work no matter your culture or something then that'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Zeron posted:

I actually do like monuments, the main issues I have are that there's no easy way to find them (for some reason they never made a mapmode?) and that so many of them are so specific on activation requirements that it just makes them an upgradeable national idea rather than like a conquering bonus. If there was some really expensive way to make monuments work no matter your culture or something then that'd be cool.

There is a "Great Projects" mapmode.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Groke posted:

There is a "Great Projects" mapmode.

Oh right it was added in a patch. I played a bunch a bit after Leviathan's release but it's been awhile since I've played.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
New DLC trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiQUtgKc46M

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I'm hype.

Mali was my first big EU4 playthrough back in the day. Gonna be nice to return to the region.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Where is this button to "extend the Regency"?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Next to the abdicate throne button.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looks like it’s a Leviathan thing then

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jay Rust posted:

Looks like it’s a Leviathan thing then

Yeah I also don’t have leviathan and also noticed the game telling me to use the button I don’t have

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I have protected the secret of old world coffee.

Also made a failed colony because I was bored and lazy. :v:

Here's all the old world coffee provinces you need to grab in Africa and Asia

This fucker in India, and an extremely large percentage of colonial land the Malaya/Borneo/Molucca area can spawn coffee (Rougly a 10-20% chance with a few 33ish%), and yes, those count.

Also you can technically lose and regain provinces and still get the achievement but I did it within the spirit of the achievement because my brain is broken. :v:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Origins"? What, they run out of period book titles or something?

EU4: Revelations

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Detheros posted:

I have protected the secret of old world coffee.

Protect the Secret is one of my favorite meme achievements because there is a clear 'intended" path to achieve it (ie what you did) but they way it's written is way simpler; you just have to be yemen, at any point past the last day of 1699 and no old world coffee provinces are owned by a country with a capital in europe. You don't have to have started as yemen, any of the provinces can previously be owned by a European capitaled state (say even, your own). That means it's pretty easy to pair with the "form arabia" missions because you just do a quick pit stop in yemen first, or do even dumber poo poo like Nahuatl yemen

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mantis42 posted:

"Origins"? What, they run out of period book titles or something?

EU4: Revelations

It's clearly an homage to the only Assassins Creed game that takes place in Africa. Revelations would be Ottomans-focused DLC.

Edit: But seriously I hope they don't expect this to sell well. After Leviathan I'd expect them to go for a theme that will attract maximum attention. But here it's Africa rework and maybe I'm getting old but it feels like we had Africa rework not that long ago, and it was more significant cause there were all the new provinces and countries. And here we get missions and formables?.. Apart from scripts and models and music the only new mechanic is Jewish religion. I know it's an immersion pack but it feels like Paradox Tinto is now ordered to fail by releasing a DLC that would be a hard sell in the best of time, and they release it while people are still asking if the game is unfucked after previous DLC.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 20, 2021

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
the last time subsaharan Africa was touched was in 2016 lol

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

In my brain Rights of Man is still a new expansion. I've tried creating Coptic empire with Karabakh a few times (this expansion added Coptic mechanics) and left it for later. This "later" is just around the corner for years, and Fetishist African countries are still on my list of something to try when I'm not waiting for the patches.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Time flies, when you’re on speed 5 !!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Time flies, when you’re on speed 5 !!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless you're on .31 :v:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Nobody plays in Africa more than once.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Average Bear posted:

Nobody plays in Africa more than once.

Does North and the Horn count?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I don't like playing in Europe so I'm one of those folk who mess around in other continents more frequently, Africa included. It helps there are achievements in those areas.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here's why europe suxx

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rarely a problem but

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Literally the only time I bothered playing in loving Europe was as Dipshitsen and that was before it was updated with Emperor which I never got because it's boring as hell compared to CK

The main draw for EU was exactly getting to do something other than the Euros

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like playing in Africa because I like the weird alt history scenarios EU can provide and I like the idea of Africans pre-emptively stopping colonialism in its tracks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

any start in any place can be fun except north america north of mesoamerica

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I like playing in Africa because I like the weird alt history scenarios EU can provide and I like the idea of Africans pre-emptively stopping colonialism in its tracks.

the rest of the world's story in eu4 is frantically doing colonialism yourself to stop the europeans from getting a toe hold

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
yeah uhh i did one of those "im gonna repel the colonizers" campaigns as morocco and to become powerful enough to defeat spain i had to conquer all of africa down to the cape and wound up colonizing south america and the caribbean

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well if it's on your continent you're just a conquering rear end in a top hat and not a colonizing rear end in a top hat.

But yes you either die a hero or blah blah.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Well if it's on your continent you're just a conquering rear end in a top hat and not a colonizing rear end in a top hat.

But yes you either die a hero or blah blah.

I think there's a lot of people who would find that statement extremely disagreeable.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

From an ecological standpoint, the only ethical way to play EU4 is to do a horde world conquest and raze every province down to 1/1/1, to return Mother Earth to her natural state.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow, MEIOU and Taxes v3.0 open alpha is on Steam. I never thought I would see the day.

e: ooh yeah, that's the good stuff. Right into my veins.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 21, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This is a disgusting unholy abomination of a mod.

Please post more.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's what euv should be

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
M&T is genuinely good if you're the kind of player that likes Vicky. The mechanics are actually good, it's just a lot harder to learn than it needs to be because of having to kludge everything into the EU4 interface.

Gaius Marius posted:

I think there's a lot of people who would find that statement extremely disagreeable.

famous non-colonizer Russia takes issue with this post and I shall be reporting you to Okhrana.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 21, 2021

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
i love that theres even a distinction between "ethical" gameplay in a game with slavery, genocide, massive wars that kill millions, explicit economic exploitation, etc
but colonizing is "bad" lolol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Continuing my random achievements run after giving up on Three Mountains, got Mare Nostrum. Decided to try with Aragon and get Consulate of the Sea along the way.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I remember doing that. Want a tip? (Though this was several patches ago)

Build a bunch of galleys. Go way over your force limit. Wait for the ottomans to declare on Albania. They’ll send their whole army into Greece. No CB the ottomans. Blockade the strait, quickly capture the two port provinces on the Asian side, run hogwild through Anatolia

It’s a fun campaign

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I remember doing that. Want a tip? (Though this was several patches ago)

Build a bunch of galleys. Go way over your force limit. Wait for the ottomans to declare on Albania. They’ll send their whole army into Greece. No CB the ottomans. Blockade the strait, quickly capture the two port provinces on the Asian side, run hogwild through Anatolia

It’s a fun campaign

Oh, nice. Might do that.

I think I was gonna try to no-CB Byzantium before they get eaten by Ottoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh, nice. Might do that.

I think I was gonna try to no-CB Byzantium before they get eaten by Ottoman.

This is the better option if you can manage it, since vassalizing Byz means you take over their war, which is defensive. Inviting all of Europe to destroy the Ottos is epic