Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wildtortilla posted:

My son was born seven weeks ago and since then I haven’t touched my Switch. Been playing FFT on my iPhone exclusively cause it’s something I can play with one hand while an infant sleeps on me.

I’m up to the farthest point I’ve ever been in the game (end of chapter 3) and dang this game is so good.

I guess this is to say I never thought I’d play a game on a phone yet here I am. Playing a real good game on a phone and enjoying it.

Hey, congrats! Good luck finding time to game for the next few years. My son is why I stopped gaming for about a decade, but phone games weren't that great in 2008. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Walla posted:

Hey, congrats! Good luck finding time to game for the next few years. My son is why I stopped gaming for about a decade, but phone games weren't that great in 2008. :)

Further to this, I remember when my wife and I weren't even married yet, we both loved Spelunky. Played it all the time, either switching off turns or playing co-op. Then over the course of 5-ish years, we had two kids. Stuff got busy, I never played my 360 anymore, never logged in on Steam. Gaming for us was kind of dead for like... 2-3 of those years, aside from random stuff on my phone.

As our kids got a bit older, we got a Switch, and our older son really took to it, with his little brother kind of following suit. We all ended up playing more, together (and then other stuff on my own, like RE4, after they'd go to bed at night).

Then Spelunky (and 2) came out for the Switch, and 8+ years after we first played it together on our 360, 5 moves and two kids later, now we're all playing it. My older son is obsessed with it.

I love it :3:

Anyway, my point is, gaming might go away for a bit when you have a child, but it'll definitely come back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Murdstone posted:

If you pay $19.99, and then later you pay $30, you have paid $49.99.

That didn't work with voucher chat so it won't work here

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Dpulex posted:

I'm sorry kotaku insulted daddy nintendo

Could you be anymore of a miserable bastard in this thread

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

No everyone is going to be paying $50 or the equivalent in their local currency because that's how maths works.

wherhe i live the price increase is less than the ac dlc price and the increase is smaller over all. thank you nintendo the only company to understand regional pricing :pray:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

until the other coward companies offer me the ability to pay just for online for half the price so idont have to get the awful ps+ games nintendo will stay winning. and thats just facts.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

beer gas canister posted:

Anyone have recommendations for really weird or unique games available on Switch? Not looking for visual novels or simulators, I'm talking mechanically, stuff like TumbleSeed. I've been looking at old DS games and have been struck by how many one-off, weird games were made for it, like Bangai-O Spirits (which owns so hard).

Maybe snake pass

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there another way to turn a Nintendo Switch, Pokemon Sword, Kirby All Stars, and a Gameboy Advance SP with a stack of games (including Metroid Fusion and Castlevania Double Pack) into an OLED switch besides GameStop? I called every GameStop within an hours drive and none of them got in OLED this week. Their bonus trade-in promotion only lasts until November and I was hoping to max out on value but I really just want a new switch and mario kart.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Further to this, I remember when my wife and I weren't even married yet, we both loved Spelunky. Played it all the time, either switching off turns or playing co-op. Then over the course of 5-ish years, we had two kids. Stuff got busy, I never played my 360 anymore, never logged in on Steam. Gaming for us was kind of dead for like... 2-3 of those years, aside from random stuff on my phone.

As our kids got a bit older, we got a Switch, and our older son really took to it, with his little brother kind of following suit. We all ended up playing more, together (and then other stuff on my own, like RE4, after they'd go to bed at night).

Then Spelunky (and 2) came out for the Switch, and 8+ years after we first played it together on our 360, 5 moves and two kids later, now we're all playing it. My older son is obsessed with it.

Anyway, my point is, gaming might go away for a bit when you have a child, but it'll definitely come back.

I appreciate these words! I’m looking forward to gaming with my son in a few years. His cousin is 6, just got a Switch, and is already making plans to game with my kid.

Hopefully my kid will be gaming before he’s six (I dunno if that’s a good or bad goal, but I was playing Mario and Zelda 1 & 2 when I was in pre school and I think I turned out okay!).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Hammer Bro. posted:

For those of you enjoying Dungeon Encounters, I'd be curious to know what you like about it.

I game jammed a similar concept that I thought had potential and I'd already put it out of mind until I ran from a battle and found out that DE and I had even used the same music.

Trying to discern if the selling power is much more than pedigree / minimalist novelty and if the staying power is anything other than familiarity / completionism.

I’ve been hooked and put a ton of time in since it came out, for me it’s definitely one of those games where you keep wanting to go just a little farther and end up playing for hours. The appeal is just “it’s really fun” but to try and break it down further:

- The battle system is a great fit for this kind of game. It’s fast and simple, but not mindless - equipping your team requires more thought than just picking the biggest numbers, and even when you’re backtracking and fighting weak enemies choosing your targets deliberately will finish the fight faster than mashing attack. Battles against dangerous opponents are tense but not unfair.

- The exploration is consistently interesting. Obviously some of the appeal is just the satisfaction of stepping on every tile to get them all painted in, just like filling out the minimap in Wizardry. But the game also keeps things interesting. First, by changing up the design every 10 floors - every biome has a different style to its maps and has a recognizable layout, and feels different to explore. Second, by giving you a steadily increasing toolbox you can use to navigate with. You start out only being able to walk around, but you go you’ll find abilities that let you shift floors or move around the map in more ways. By the late 30s you have so many abilities you’re no longer really restricted to exploring the dungeon linearly (but at the same time, your abilities have limited charges and restrictions, so getting where you want can be a puzzle). You can still go though meticulously clearing a floor at a time, but the game practically taunts you to start poking you head farther down, and since encounters are visible on the map being way out of depth just changes the gameplay to “use your abilities to avoid fights”.

- A much smaller point than the previous two, but I also really like how the game handles losing characters. Nobody can ever be permanently lost, but there’s lots of ways you can be forced to shift up your party. A party wipe means you old team is left KOed on the tile they fell, and you need to send out a new team from base camp. A petrified party member can’t be brought with you, and has to be left on that tile until you can find a shrine to restore them. Some monsters can consume a party member and flee, and you have to hunt them down to get your party member back. Some traps or monsters (or careless use of the full teleport ability, once you get it) can cause a party member to become lost in the dungeon, and need to be found.

Because of the way the character growth and the battle system work, this is never as much of a setback as it might sound. But it does a great job of preventing you from falling into a rut, while also tying the battle and exploration parts of the game together more tightly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only thing worse than going to bat for video game publishers is going to bat for video games journalism

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Me getting throwaway Xbox 360 games I'll never play is a better deal than me getting N64 games I will play, actually.

Who here isn't clamoring to play Port Royale 3!?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Stux posted:

wherhe i live the price increase is less than the ac dlc price and the increase is smaller over all. thank you nintendo the only company to understand regional pricing :pray:

yeah but you also couldn't buy petrol for months because of drooling dullards and you won't have any turkeys at christmas

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

hot take: the game pass that let's me play the games i know i'll enjoy and love is the one that's worth the money for me, so i'll be getting the expansion because i fuckin love n64

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I want a Gamecube and GBA emulator because I feel like there's a bunch of good games I never played on 'em.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I'm really guarded on Kotaku critics because I'm so used to lovely incel/4chan types melting about Kotaku and so even when I hear legitimate criticisms of it I worry I'll end up agreeing with some racist/sexist maniac.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:allears: This is beautiful.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

video games journalism

no such thing

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zurtilik posted:

I'm really guarded on Kotaku critics because I'm so used to lovely incel/4chan types melting about Kotaku and so even when I hear legitimate criticisms of it I worry I'll end up agreeing with some racist/sexist maniac.

i mean, yeah, but in this specific scenario it's literally some dunce more or less going 'maybe samus should smile more, she'd be prettier that way :)' in article form

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean, yeah, but in this specific scenario it's literally some dunce more or less going 'maybe samus should smile more, she'd be prettier that way :)' in article form

the same author also wrote an article claiming that the nick smash clone could actually be a smash killer and complaining that donald and goofy weren't in ultimate despite their inclusion for would only be a stage cameo cost more than the entirety of ultimate's development, including dlc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

it's ok to make fun of awful shitsite kotakua

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Zurtilik posted:

a good rule of thumb is "was it Kotaku or the people criticizing them that said women should smile more?"

if you side against someone who is telling a woman to smile more you are very likely to be on the right side

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what gaming sites are good?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

abelwingnut posted:

No.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

yeah but you also couldn't buy petrol for months because of drooling dullards and you won't have any turkeys at christmas

you sound upset about my incredible nintendo switch online expansion pack pricing, and frankly jealous too. ugly.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

abelwingnut posted:

seems like all of the good writers started podcasts and/or youtube channels and the sites have all gone to hell

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

abelwingnut posted:

lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

abelwingnut posted:

This one

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I mean I agree with you all re: Kotaku, I was just saying I have gotten to a knee-jerk initial reaction due to past events. Yeah, that article sucks.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

quote:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010130104500/http://www.gamefaqs.com/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bushisms.txt posted:

:glomp:

Thanks. He also loves Mario Golf.

Speaking of, I really gotta get back into it. I miss playing with y'all!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

https://www.coolmathgames.com

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Snake Maze posted:

Dungeon Encounters Articulation

Thanks for that; I have some similar thoughts and some differing opinions, but it's good to see what the highlights are.

It's a bit less streamlined (though in my madness I think Dungeon Encounters could be streamlined further) but you might consider giving https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordor:_The_Depths_of_Dejenol a look-see. This game shares a lot of DNA with it when it comes to exploration and party dynamics and the dungeon design / exploration is top-notch. I don't know if DE has teleportation traps but when all four party members end up lost and separated hoo does the tension go up.

Just remembered the Steam Deck is coming out eventually. Definitely putting Mordor on it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

beer gas canister posted:

e; speaking of weird mobile poo poo, does anyone have any DS recs? There's a drat good used game store in my city and they have a ton of DS games

Rocket Slime
Ghost Trick
Rhythm Heaven

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know the drat things probably haven't even reached people's homes yet but does anyone know if the Switch n64 controller's rear accessory port does anything? Clearly from the photos it's still there but there's no direct pics of the back of it so it's impossible to see if there's actually a connector in there or if it's just for show.

I would be amazed if it worked since Nintendo would gain absolutely nothing by including it but I was just wondering if anyone confirmed it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

abelwingnut posted:

nintendo.com

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

bushisms.txt posted:

I’m going to cry and throw up.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Kotaku is trash but the way this thread gets worked up about tweets and articles that nobody is reading is really embarrassing actually. Reminds me of the defensive Nintendo kids at school

Most of us aren't into the hobby the way some of you all are we just want to play some cool games and the switch has a lot of cool games.

Oh boy what dumb thing did the media say about Nintendo this time around?? Yawn gently caress off

My apologies to those of you who are making cool posts and have to read this equally lovely post

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah Kotaku is literally just a blog that puts out some really good articles and some dumb ones. Same as literally any site.

People get uniquely worked up about it for :iiam: reasons, even when they're saying the same things every other outlet is saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Best part is that some of those articles are obvious nerd bait

You got nerd baited you losers ahahaha