Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

An associate of mine has been hyping up Jeff Davison for mayor. Who is this guy? Is he bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

hillaryous clinton posted:

Quebecois and the French approach language differently imo. The French are language snobs yet happily use loanwords that aren't French ("mail" to denote email, for example). Accents are ok, English words are actually cool, but don't you dare use improper grammar! In proper Quebec french this is a no-no (use "courriel"). This is because Quebec is keeping the French torch lit in a sea of colonialist anglos intent on snuffing it out, or something like that.

For what it's worth, as a native Quebecois who visits France sometimes, I enjoyed myself a whole lot more over there once I started leading with English. They seem much happier tolerating an "American" tourist (my English is not very French-accented) than hearing Quebecois.

It's really cringy and annoying that any Quebecois would would give a hard time to anglos trying to practice.

The vast majority of Quebecois dont give you a hard time if youre trying or practicing, from my experience anyway. Its just that the ones who do are unbelievably loud and obnoxious about it so those are the encounters that most people remember.

I wish the French taught outside Quebec was more thorough. I took it from grade 3-13 (yes Im old, 13 was still a thing) and never once felt confident speaking or writing it despite all those hours in classrooms. And now since I havnt used it in 20 years Ive forgotten what little I did learn.

Other than how to talk to a pineapple. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

half cocaine posted:

An associate of mine has been hyping up Jeff Davison for mayor. Who is this guy? Is he bad?

Doesn't matter now.

At least the CTFs boy Wunder is out of Calgary politics. Expect him at the provincial or federal next.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Arc Hammer posted:

Some other tweets are pointing to the Elections AB communications being controlled by the Alberta Government and accusing Elections AB of being partisan.

For some Ontario news Dougie channeled his inner Don Cherry to warn New Canadians to not be lazy freeloaders.

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1450165263123550219?t=iHd2C9Tl0OlDwL5qW3707Q&s=19

>> Ford later clarified that this does not apply to 'western europeans'

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
The city of Hamilton started it's injunction proceedings yesterday regarding homeless encampments. There's a large twitter thread here from a guy who was there and reported on it. I'm most of the way through it and it's pretty interesting. I think next week they are expecting a resolution:

https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/status/1450098685195407360

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What a nice way to wake up, my neighbour will be replacing a councilor who I feel has been there for most of my life. Edmonton sure rocked the boat at city hall

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty sure Ward Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi is going to go to a recount as there's less than 40 votes between the two leading candidates. I won't be unhappy for either of the candidates, though I voted for Glynnis Lieb.

In general though, I'm super happy about the election results in Edmonton, and laughing my rear end off that Nickel left his councillor seat only to get hosed in the mayoral election. So happy that fucker's off council.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hillaryous clinton posted:

Quebecois and the French approach language differently imo. The French are language snobs yet happily use loanwords that aren't French ("mail" to denote email, for example). Accents are ok, English words are actually cool, but don't you dare use improper grammar! In proper Quebec french this is a no-no (use "courriel"). This is because Quebec is keeping the French torch lit in a sea of colonialist anglos intent on snuffing it out, or something like that.

It's funny that Quebecois people seem to believe they use fewer loan words, cause my experience is that informal Quebecois French uses way more loan words than French French. Then again the gap between formal and informal French in Quebec seems way higher than in France.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

My major gap in being able to speak the French of young montrealers was that I only had ever really spoken French in school and at home in BC so never knew all the English words they do use. It’s like they use some a lot as French verbs but if you use the wrong English word as. French verb they look at you funny. My franco friends were always telling me “hey you don’t have to be so formal around me” because it sounds weird to them if you make an effort to not use any English at all.

Also one time I was at a bbq with a bunch of Parisian friends visiting Vancouver and when they asked me to pass the brioches (hot dog buns) I just smiled and laughed inside and passed the buns.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've only ever dipped my toe in Quebec for a night of drinking at 18, since Ottawa wouldn't serve me. Like our good squirrel friend said, as a visitor, a smile, pointing, and an attempt at using my cereal box Francais worked great. Same when visiting the tiny village in France where my MIL lived, and same when I got a few hours to leave the ship in Tunisia.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Femtosecond posted:

Video here where Del Duca explains his "electoral reform" promise.

Del Duca would apparently immediately implement Ranked Ballots. Never mind all that referendum nonsense that we've always put PR through.

Presumably the Citizens Assembly is not gonna be anywhere near a question around whether or not we should vote using PR, considering that every Citizens Assembly ever has proposed using PR.

https://twitter.com/StevenDelDuca/status/1450119006141222922?s=20

What a loving nightmare this will be if this guy gets elected.

Honestly RB is still better than FPTP (everything is better than FPTP) and referendums inevitably fail or get ignored

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alctel posted:

Honestly RB is still better than FPTP (everything is better than FPTP) and referendums inevitably fail or get ignored

I think the point is it would result in eternal Liberal governments and Del Duca knows it because while they aren't everyone's first choice, they're the second choice of a lot of NDP and Conservative voters.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
poo poo, I remember asking my québécois grandfather for help with my grade nine French homework, and he was stumped. He was from an Anglo area of Quebec.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 7, 2023

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Alctel posted:

RB being implemented seems to me substantially worse than our current situation.

* RB will either result in similar outcomes to FPTP in the best case or more likely result in fewer NDP/Green MPs in the worse case. This is worse.

* After RB is implemented people will immediately pivot to the talking point that "electoral reform is done" with the issue settled and it will become more difficult to achieve PR in this country. This is worse.

At this point it seems most likely that the only way the Conservatives get into power is through an overwhelming "change" election where the electorate are disgusted with the government and vote for the default opposition (similar to Ontario 2018 election). It is inevitable that at some point this will happen.

RB will not prevent this, but rather strengthen the ensuing Conservative government and make it more likely to be a majority.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think the point is it would result in eternal Liberal governments and Del Duca knows it because while they aren't everyone's first choice, they're the second choice of a lot of NDP and Conservative voters.

Are you sure about that?

The NDP (federally at least, not sure about the ONDP) were by far the largest second choice for people - a lot of con voters really really hate the liberals and vice versa and a major part of liberal campaigning is scaring NDP voters into voting liberal.

Femtosecond posted:

RB being implemented seems to me substantially worse than our current situation.

* RB will either result in similar outcomes to FPTP in the best case or more likely result in fewer NDP/Green MPs in the worse case. This is worse.

* After RB is implemented people will immediately pivot to the talking point that "electoral reform is done" with the issue settled and it will become more difficult to achieve PR in this country. This is worse.

At this point it seems most likely that the only way the Conservatives get into power is through an overwhelming "change" election where the electorate are disgusted with the government and vote for the default opposition (similar to Ontario 2018 election). It is inevitable that at some point this will happen.

RB will not prevent this, but rather strengthen the ensuing Conservative government and make it more likely to be a majority.

As I said above, I don't think that may actually be the case. A lot of people vote liberal out of fear of the conservatives, which means they can now put NDP as #1 and liberals as #2. Likewise, a lot of conservatives would vote NDP before liberal (they really really hate the libs)

And the 'electoral reform is done!!" talking point is purely conjuncture, and it's not like PR is really having a lot of success by itself. Just the experience of doing something slightly differently on your ballot would open people up to further reform, esp if they like RBs.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 19, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Apropos of the French chat

Couldn't even use Duolingo smh

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

leftist heap posted:

It's funny that Quebecois people seem to believe they use fewer loan words, cause my experience is that informal Quebecois French uses way more loan words than French French. Then again the gap between formal and informal French in Quebec seems way higher than in France.

Oh, informal Queb is certainly rife with anglicismes. No doubt some have been fully appropriated by Quebecois and are used formally, too, and I just don't realize it. I know I'm out of my depth debating this, so I'll just say that I get in the impression there's an honest effort (in the last decades at least) to create French language expressions instead of copy pasting English wholesale the way I've seen the French do recently.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Alctel posted:

Are you sure about that?

The NDP (federally at least, not sure about the ONDP) were by far the largest second choice for people - a lot of con voters really really hate the liberals and vice versa and a major part of liberal campaigning is scaring NDP voters into voting liberal.

As I said above, I don't think that may actually be the case. A lot of people vote liberal out of fear of the conservatives, which means they can now put NDP as #1 and liberals as #2. Likewise, a lot of conservatives would vote NDP before liberal (they really really hate the libs)

And the 'electoral reform is done!!" talking point is purely conjuncture, and it's not like PR is really having a lot of success by itself. Just the experience of doing something slightly differently on your ballot would open people up to further reform, esp if they like RBs.

This is my view. RB would result in more seats for the NDP in competitive ridings.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Alctel posted:

Are you sure about that?

I forget where the last place I saw this was, but don't a lot of Conservative voters just straight up not have second choices?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

I forget where the last place I saw this was, but don't a lot of Conservative voters just straight up not have second choices?

From 2019 federally:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

MagicCube posted:

From 2019 federally:

That's the chart I remember seeing. It's why I don't think RB (while obviously not as good as PR) would be as terrible as people are saying.

It's also why I think the federal liberals ditched AV once they took a closer look at some of the poll numbers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm getting some whiplash. Just last week BC was up talking about how Northern Health is in total shambles. Yesterday they reported 1800 new cases over the weekend.

So naturally today Dix and Henry are announcing capacity limits being lifted.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol, Kenney just tried to say that municipal elections are non partisan with a straight face.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol, Kenney just tried to say that municipal elections are non partisan with a straight face.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

EDIT: Like, holy gently caress, his ministers and Elections Alberta got partisan yesterday. Eat a bag of dicks, sir.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol poo poo he just got asked about the councilor had sex with a teenager and this answer is just the most waffling "I don't have the facts so I can't do anything." answer ever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Without all the facts, who can really say if a 34-year-old police officer taking a 16-year-old who he'd known for at least two years to his house and then sexually assaulting her is bad?" -- Kenney, apparently.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There hasn't been a single question about Covid yet. Kenney is desperately trying to shunt questions to McIver but nobody is budging on the phone line and they're going for Kenney's throat.

Lol and the final question is Rick Bell.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm getting some whiplash. Just last week BC was up talking about how Northern Health is in total shambles. Yesterday they reported 1800 new cases over the weekend.

So naturally today Dix and Henry are announcing capacity limits being lifted.

Walking around in restaurants packed to the max? No problem!

Going to a hockey game with 30,000 other people? No problem!

Packing Cineplex to watch Tom Hardy cream all over his goo friend? Cool!

Go to a dance hall / night club that can also accommodate a vaccine passport now that we have one and can allow for distancing from others by being able to walk away? NO. gently caress YOU. NO DANCING ALLOWED.

I’m not bitter that a metal concert I’ve been looking forward to for months just got moved from the Commodore to the loving Orpheum, noooo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

There hasn't been a single question about Covid yet. Kenney is desperately trying to shunt questions to McIver but nobody is budging on the phone line and they're going for Kenney's throat.

Lol and the final question is Rick Bell.

Did Bell go at him? Bell going anti-Kenny this year has been :discourse:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

B33rChiller posted:

I've only ever dipped my toe in Quebec for a night of drinking at 18, since Ottawa wouldn't serve me. Like our good squirrel friend said, as a visitor, a smile, pointing, and an attempt at using my cereal box Francais worked great. Same when visiting the tiny village in France where my MIL lived, and same when I got a few hours to leave the ship in Tunisia.

There's a lot of truth to this. If you just smile and be humble and try, 90% of Québécois are happy to accommodate you.

The other five percent are simply assholes. Ethnonationalism is just their excuse.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Another Bill posted:

There's a lot of truth to this. If you just smile and be humble and try, 90% of Québécois are happy to accommodate you.

The other five percent are simply assholes. Ethnonationalism is just their excuse.

That's only 95%. What about the remaining 5%?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Sean Chu won by 52 votes in Calgary ward 4. given the high advance vote numbers, wonder how many people voted for him before it came out that he'd done sex creep poo poo to a 16 year old while he was a a police officer. seems likely more than 52 votes. oh well, we'll never know

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
*the aristocrats voice* Municipal elections!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Alctel posted:

Are you sure about that?

The problem is that we just don't know. Our multiparty FPTP system already results in vote splits, counter intuitive results and distorted outcomes and the nature of ranked ballots is that.... literally none of this will change and it will if anything become harder to guess at what will happen.

In this case where people vote NDP #1 and Liberal #2 what happens if the NDP wins the first round and the Liberals come in third? The Libs are eliminated and their second votes are redistributed. The strategic "ABC" voter better hope that more Libs didn't put the Conservatives as #2. It's entirely possible that the Liberal second round votes give the Conservatives the victory over the NDP resulting in a situation where the "ABC" voter hosed themselves by putting NDP #1 instead of "strategically" putting the Liberals as #1.

NDP would have won in FPTP but loses in Ranked Ballots due to unexpected Ranked Ballot shenanigans. Ooops.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm on board with Femtosecond here. Ranked ballot is sometimes marginally better than straight FPTP but it can easily be as bad, just in different ways.
It still has the core problem of not actually representing the views of the people.

My conspiracy theory is that media is heavily against PR because it means the tense races in close ridings don't really exist anymore and their election night coverage would be impacted.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

You're never going to see proportional representation in any meaningful way in Canada because it would mean the political donor and lobbying classes would have to reorganize and it would be chaos and nobody wants that right?????

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm all for chaos, actually.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

That's cool. Just wanted to make it clear that anyone who advocates against alternative voting is just trying to stack the cards for their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I actually do kinda wonder: would ranked choice or PR just split the current parties entirely