Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stev posted:

puts out some really good articles

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
no one was getting worked up, just pointing out a dumb article they wrote on metroid dread

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm getting worked up! (About Star Fox 64 on 10/25!)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

KingSlime posted:

Kotaku is trash but the way this thread gets worked up about tweets and articles that nobody is reading is really embarrassing actually. Reminds me of the defensive Nintendo kids at school

Most of us aren't into the hobby the way some of you all are we just want to play some cool games and the switch has a lot of cool games.

Oh boy what dumb thing did the media say about Nintendo this time around?? Yawn gently caress off

My apologies to those of you who are making cool posts and have to read this equally lovely post

Clickbait: "buh we not smart"

Thread: "lol"

*goon drafts a novel about how everyone is worked up*

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Willo567 posted:

no one was getting worked up, just pointing out a dumb article they wrote on metroid dread

Sure worked up is hyperbole obviously, but like why do you have to keep linking to Kotaku tho ?

You playing any cool games?

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

*goon drafts a novel about how everyone is worked up*

How long do you think novels are? No wonder internet articles get you guys so worked up reading is hard :(

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 19, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1417275650482839555?t=59z2d_Wv3gIkXscezltOlg&s=19

This was good and correct until they changed it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

6 days left until I'm rocking some F-Zero X and Ocarina of Time FISHING ONLY on the Switch! :toot:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Anyways I'm still waiting for my skull co neogrip for my OLED. Playing without one has been incredibly painful so I bought one from Amazon in the meantime

It kind of sucks it flexes on the sides but hey it was 12 bucks and it came with prime shipping

I think my favorite part is that the white color on the grip doesn't really match the white of the console so it looks pretty off lmao

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just realized that Segas fishing trilogy doesn’t have a switch port and that seems like a loving crime.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

holy BALLS this wbesite just swore??? abotu a game??? Take all my 5s and my manbabies :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reminder that Shin Megami Tensei V comes out next month.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

gently caress me I can't wait to see what Kotaku has to say about this one!!

SMTV is going to own so so hard

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah guys, If you find yourself chuckling at some breathtakingly tone-deaf article, instead of posting about it one single time just ask yourself this: could I instead be contributing to the higher level gaming discourse on the dead comedy forums? The answer is always yes. Keep your chuckles to yourself, keep your head down, and get gaming!

Maybe for the next month we should just post a list of what games we are playing and a simple “good” or “bad.” I’ll start:

Metroid Dread— good
Slay the Spire— good
Nick All Star Brawl— good

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

I'm really guarded on Kotaku critics because I'm so used to lovely incel/4chan types melting about Kotaku and so even when I hear legitimate criticisms of it I worry I'll end up agreeing with some racist/sexist maniac.

nah Kotaku has cratered in quality the last year or so. I still laugh at the PS5 review ending with some kind of loving political discourse or the broken brained articles pushed about wanting to gently caress game characters. Site is just filled with deranged writers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KingSlime posted:

gently caress me I can't wait to see what Kotaku has to say about this one!!

SMTV is going to own so so hard

they're gonna say it owns bones

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yikes yeah my suggestion is stop going to that website man it's clearly having an effect on you

Srice posted:

they're gonna say it owns bones

Smh at the state of online gaming journalistic standards how can Kotaku do this to us gamers??

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

I said come in! posted:

if they do not add a jack frost spirit in ultimate to celebrate the launch im burning my copy of ultimate

KingSlime posted:

Sure worked up is hyperbole obviously, but like why do you have to keep linking to Kotaku tho ?

You playing any cool games?

How long do you think novels are? No wonder internet articles get you guys so worked up reading is hard :(
i linked to one article, and it was when i pointed out nintendo took down their video on being able to play dread in emulators.

anyways, i'm playing ultimate again now that's sora's out. will probably get back into new horizons once the update and dlc come out, then play some mario party

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 19, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

6 days left until I'm rocking some F-Zero X and Ocarina of Time FISHING ONLY on the Switch! :toot:

I swear I come from a different timeline where Ocarina of Time didn't have fishing because I sure don't remember it! Was it like Link's Awakening?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
V cool, I've been thinking about animal crossing but I'm not really sure I want a Zen garden experience atm. I remember earlier entries I would eventually just treat my daily check in like a chore more than a way to relax but that's probably just me

Using that gorgeous OLED to play through hollow Knight and ys 8 right now! Ys is ugly but extremely fun! Although what's up with that jump sound effect?? It's this weird distorted spindly sfx, sounds proper hosed and it bothers me every time lol

Anyways both games are great!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Lastdancer posted:

I swear I come from a different timeline where Ocarina of Time didn't have fishing because I sure don't remember it! Was it like Link's Awakening?

Majoras Mask had no fishing and was one of the few good additions the remake made

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Breath Of The Wild is really good. My kid keeps taking skulls into peoples' houses and laughing maniacally as the residents cower

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yo anyone wanna go check and make sure the Pokémon team is feeling ok since they just put out a video with some guy getting loving murdered by a Pokémon, Blair Witch style?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

There's only one place for it, and it's in Lake Hylia. You can't do it from the start, but I forget what you have to do to unlock it.

I love it so much, that it bugs me a lot that BOTW has zero fishing that doesn't involve bombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73Y2tA_J30

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 19, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's only one place for it, and it's in Lake Hylia. You can't do it from the start, but I forget what you have to do to unlock it.

I love it so much, that it bugs me a lot that BOTW has zero fishing that doesn't involve bombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73Y2tA_J30

Well you can shoot them with an arrow or just... dive in there and catch them with your hands yeah that was a bit disappointing.

At the very least I have a legitimate reason to go replay OoT now!

EDIT: Watching the video and yeah I'm pretty sure 12-13 year old me decided I 100% the game without ever touching that. What a silly child I was

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ROJO posted:

Which are you talking about out of curiosity? I can't think of a shinespark puzzle you can't solve the first time you see it, unless it is super obvious a required power up is missing (because of a power bomb block or something). Usually if you get to a puzzle in the game, you have the tools to do it from a game progression standpoint. Crap I'm struggling to think of too many that flat out require any movement upgrades at all (one absolutely requires flash shift but it is super obvious and you should have that before speed booster anyways IIRC), vs weapon power ups to clear blocks.

Don't get me wrong, the mechanics are super opaque, but I honestly can't think of a non-obvious time the answer is "come back later with a different move/weapon set."

I'm thinking of the one where there is a morph ball tunnel with collapsing blocks under it and then further on there are bomb blocks above it, and above that there are speed blocks.

The intended way to do it is to get up speed, enter shinespark mode before the tunnel, then cross bomb over the collapsing blocks, bomb the bomb blocks, then shinespark upwards.

I was trying without cross bombs. So I could get my speed up, slide into the tunnel and across the collapsing blocks in speed mode, but then couldn't enter shinespark mode after that. When I would get to the other side of the tunnel I would try to press ZL to exit morph ball and then immediately press down to enter shinespark mode, but exiting morph ball mode lost me my speed and it didn't work. If there was a way to get from morph ball with speed into shinespark, you could solve the puzzle without cross bombs.

There have been other puzzles that are possible without aerial shinesparks but very difficult and have extremely precise timing, but if you know you can cancel out of a somersault to do an aerial shinespark it becomes much easier.

I've gotten two power bomb upgrades before getting power bombs, so there are puzzles you're not really supposed to solve yet that you can see as you go along, aside from the obvious ones with special blocks you can't break. One I got by chaining bomb jumps to go up higher than the game expected me to be able to. I got a missile upgrade using some tricky timing on space jump and morph ball bombs that I was probably supposed to come back for with cross bomb.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's tons of fishing options in breath of the wild. You can grab them with your bare hands, snipe them with arrows, water dash into them, whistle to scare them and make them beach themselves, or just hit the pond with lightning and kill them all at once

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

There's tons of fishing options in breath of the wild. You can grab them with your bare hands, snipe them with arrows, water dash into them, whistle to scare them and make them beach themselves, or just hit the pond with lightning and kill them all at once

Yes, all fantastic alternatives for those (weirdos) who don't want to use a rod and lure, chilling on a pier or boat, just trying to catch something.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah but I wanna reel them in and set records

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Jimbozig posted:

The intended way to do it is to get up speed, enter shinespark mode before the tunnel, then cross bomb over the collapsing blocks, bomb the bomb blocks, then shinespark upwards.

Was there any confirmation that is the intended way? I believe the intended way is (like you indicated you tried) to speed-boost slide through the tunnel, store the spark in the alcove on the far left, and then roll back in, bomb, and spark up. The timing is more forgiving and frankly, there is no point for the alcove to exist if cross-bombs is the intended way. I agree the inputs are a little wonky in the alcove (you don't actually have to use ZL, if you power-slid into an opening, you automatically start running on the other side, so just hold L while in the tunnel then down when you get out) and the slide timing to enter is kinda tight, but frankly easier that the cross-bomb timing IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk5BzeUJBE

Jimbozig posted:

I've gotten two power bomb upgrades before getting power bombs, so there are puzzles you're not really supposed to solve yet that you can see as you go along, aside from the obvious ones with special blocks you can't break. One I got by chaining bomb jumps to go up higher than the game expected me to be able to. I got a missile upgrade using some tricky timing on space jump and morph ball bombs that I was probably supposed to come back for with cross bomb.

Yeah, totally agree there are other power-ups you can get early (I think I had 4 power bombs early?), and definitely other power ups you see and definitely cannot get yet. Cross-bomb puzzles are the main culprit there, because they aren't intuitive even with preivous-game knowledge because it is a novel item. My main comment was shinespark puzzle specific, and that none of them require un-attained power-ups that aren't blatantly obvious.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 19, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

every videogame needs fishing

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Jeez I just realized in the whole Mario sports pantheon there is no "Mario Fishing". Talk about a missed opportunity! Could even do some party-style speed fishing minigames with the joy-cons.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The real money would be on Mario Underground MMA Fights. Gotta retire my Luigi from my tournament circuit save because Toad busted his knee cap with a leg sweep

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lastdancer posted:

Jeez I just realized in the whole Mario sports pantheon there is no "Mario Fishing". Talk about a missed opportunity! Could even do some party-style speed fishing minigames with the joy-cons.

wow yeah like some kind of "mario party" thaht had fishing minigames... can you imagine???

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

wow yeah like some kind of "mario party" thaht had fishing minigames... can you imagine???

That'd be cool! Yeah they should make a Mario party game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

seeing a dumb rear end article that everyone hates and laughing at it with other people is fun. reading 10 posts by king slime about how everyone else is upset and shouldn't be talking about it and he himself is the only sensible poster is not fun. this is my game review of the last 2 pages of the nintendo switch thread.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ROJO posted:

Was there any confirmation that is the intended way? I believe the intended way is (like you indicated you tried) to speed-boost slide through the tunnel, store the spark in the alcove on the far left, and then roll back in, bomb, and spark up. The timing is more forgiving and frankly, there is no point for the alcove to exist if cross-bombs is the intended way. I agree the inputs are a little wonky in the alcove, but frankly easier that the cross-bomb timing IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk5BzeUJBE

Yeah, totally agree there are other power-ups you can get early (I think I had 4 power bombs early?), and definitely other power ups you see and definitely cannot get yet. Cross-bomb puzzles are the main culprit there, because they aren't intuitive even with preivous-game knowledge because it is a novel item. My main comment was shinespark puzzle specific, and that none of them require un-attained power-ups that aren't blatantly obvious.

If they didn't intend for the method in the video, why does the area on the left even exist? The cross-bomb method never even enters that part. Also, iirc, you don't have the cross-bomb by the first time you enter this area, but you DO have the speed booster.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Muscle Tracer posted:

If they didn't intend for the method in the video, why does the area on the left even exist? The cross-bomb method never even enters that part. Also, iirc, you don't have the cross-bomb by the first time you enter this area, but you DO have the speed booster.

exactly my point, the puzzle is unnecessarily complicated if they expected you to come back with a later power-up, and do it a more difficult way

ROJO fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 19, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Johnny Joestar posted:

every videogame needs fishing

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I think samus automatically exits the morph ball once you exit the tunnel into the alcove, so pressing ZL isn't necessary and that's what would cause you to lose your shinespark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Shinespark fishing is what Nintendo needs to deliver to the hands of waiting fans