Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like Keaton simply for his supports. That he seems like a viable combat unit is just gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Leo feels like he should be a lot better than he is. He's got fine bases and great growths and yet every time he turns out to be merely serviceable, nothing more.

Keaton works well as a bulky heavy hitter. He also gives access to Velouria, who is one of the best kids - give her a mother like Camilla and she's an unholy terror on the battlefield.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You pretty much outlined why you don't hear much about Keaton. No 1-2 range is bad, and the 1 map he could shine on is Kitsune hell and it's the same map that could destroy him. Also at this point your team is set, and Corrin gets the best support partner in the game soon and Xander still exists. There just isn't room for poor Keaton generally.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have decided that using one of each of the route bonus rewards is fine. Changing into a Witch does wonders for Nyx's viability since she's actually suddenly got the stats to do what she wants to do: double and explode guys with the benefit of extra movement to boot. Getting Warp down the line is huge too. Wondering if I should mess around with Ballistician for Niles or Mozu but I've never used one before. Do they use regular bows?

e: Oh, right, you have to choose between free Witch item or free Ballista item. Glad I picked Witch.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 19, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ballistician is male only, since Fates kept the gender locks for every DLC class other than Dark Flyer and Dread Fighter.

Ballisticians use bows, their skills essentially turn them into a mobile ballista and they gain no experience when using those skills. Also 4 move and slow as balls but they do have high defense. The class kind of sucks.

If you're looking at DLC I think Vanguard can fix most of the things wrong with Arthur.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I at least liked Keaton for battle use better than the Awakening bunch. In general, I appreciate that they tried to make the beast units more interesting in personal dynamic, even if it still kind of misses the mark in a few ways.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Walla posted:

Ballistician is male only, since Fates kept the gender locks for every DLC class other than Dark Flyer and Dread Fighter.

Ballisticians use bows, their skills essentially turn them into a mobile ballista and they gain no experience when using those skills. Also 4 move and slow as balls but they do have high defense. The class kind of sucks.

If you're looking at DLC I think Vanguard can fix most of the things wrong with Arthur.

Oh, lame. Why can't a girl shoot a long range weapon of war!!!

Is the Vanguard DLC free? I have little interest in paying for more Fates content.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The only other free classes are Great Lord and Lodestar which are Lucina's and Marth's classes from Awakening. You get them in the Before Awakening DLC.

In another great decision by IS, you can only have these classes in 1 save file on your whole system. You have to delete that save if you want the classes in a different file.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Walla posted:

The only other free classes are Great Lord and Lodestar which are Lucina's and Marth's classes from Awakening. You get them in the Before Awakening DLC.

In another great decision by IS, you can only have these classes in 1 save file on your whole system. You have to delete that save if you want the classes in a different file.

I had Selena cosplay as Lucina and if that's wrong I don't want to be right.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Increment me as +1 "dumb restart to not noticing counter" death.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Wait, Keaton's a chief?

Really?

...I should've known because I did play Birthright up to his map, but wow.

I think the beastrune is kinda interesting and I'm kinda disappointed they didn't have any other variations on the concept. I guess a beastrune+ would step on the dragonstone's territory a bit too much, but.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Keaton's a pretty solid tank and can be run alongside or in place of Benny. He can't use Javelins or Hand Axes, but he's got much better movement and natural Beastbane is helpful instead of having to shuffle around effective weaponry. Since he passes on Fighter via marriage, he's pretty fun to turn some of your girls into Charlottes.

It's a shame that he and Benny have a A+ support but neither profit much from it; Benny already has Fighter, and Keaton (much like most units) doesn't get much out of the Knight line unless you really want Wary Fighter, and even then it's probably not worth shuffling in and out of the line for it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The issue with witch is that unless you buy the dlc you are only ever going to have one and the game provides such a perfect witch recipient it would be almost criminal not to give it to her.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Walla posted:

This is 101% not true, I have no idea what you're talking about. Getting the Lodestar and Great Lord seals is always the first thing I do.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Maybe I'm thinking you can only get 1 seal per save file? Though I seem to remember doing the map and not getting the reward.

I apologise. It's been years since I've messed with the dlc except for the Anna gifts and castle rewards.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Cythereal posted:

I blame this thread for leading me to acquire a copy of Fates for my emulator and play Conquest first.
:sickos:

Walla posted:

Keaton is a good boy.

The trigger for the reinforcements is to be in range of an attack from the forces on the right. You can turtle the staff users without any worries, but once a single enemy can attack is when the Kinshis arrive.

This map is another reason I make sure to have 2 archers.

Odin is basically Leo. If promoted to Dark Knight right now he would have equal or better stats in everything except magic and resistance. Fates went hard on nerfing magic users except for Corrin and Hayato.
Oops, I guess I made things harder on myself for no reason! I would have felt a little bad about stalling out all the staff uses like that, but that wouldn't have been as embarrassing as how I actually played the chapter...

Obligatum VII posted:

Alternate answer: marry Kaze and Charlotte and get a murderbeast Midori, which would be pretty funny (even though you probably don't plan to use the kids, it's at least funny conceptually and Kaze would certainly get value out of charlotte as a stat backpack).

Edit: Oops, quote is not edit, etc.
I would be fully on board with that if I had the room in my deployment slots. Unfortunately me wanting to use every single royal has left things pretty crowded... I'm not fully convinced I've got enough room for Leo and Xander tbh.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You put that Leo gives Leo Samurai, instead of Odin giving Leo Samurai.
Oops! Fixed. Although Leo totally would be one of those "I studied the blade" types, I bet he's done some katana training on his own.

LiefKatano posted:

Wait, Keaton's a chief?

Really?

...I should've known because I did play Birthright up to his map, but wow.

I think the beastrune is kinda interesting and I'm kinda disappointed they didn't have any other variations on the concept. I guess a beastrune+ would step on the dragonstone's territory a bit too much, but.
I guess they only made the beast guys leaders of their tribes so they could be the boss of their respective chapters? Kaden's also the leader of his.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah Keaton's a pretty solid tank and can be run alongside or in place of Benny. He can't use Javelins or Hand Axes, but he's got much better movement and natural Beastbane is helpful instead of having to shuffle around effective weaponry. Since he passes on Fighter via marriage, he's pretty fun to turn some of your girls into Charlottes.

It's a shame that he and Benny have a A+ support but neither profit much from it; Benny already has Fighter, and Keaton (much like most units) doesn't get much out of the Knight line unless you really want Wary Fighter, and even then it's probably not worth shuffling in and out of the line for it.
I know the A+ supports are like Heart Seal classes and they weren't made with gameplay balance in mind, but I really do wish some units had better support options. Poor Benny deserves better.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Just like Embrace The Dark, this chapter title comes from a line of the song Azura sung in Chapter 14. I think that's pretty cool.

Azura walks straight into a lake and Corrin follows her, entering an underwater vortex and ending up in some strange world full of floating islands and bizarre physics... And then Gunter shows up, apparently still alive despite his fall into the Bottomless Canyon.

I'll be honest, the first time I played this game I thought all this was rad as hell. And divorced from context, it still kind of is. Unfortunately this chapter also marks the introduction of Conquest's most infamous plot twist, so the experience gets somewhat soured the second time around.

Anyway, Gunter! He's receieved 7 levels since we last saw him, and... he's good now? Not only are those stats way, way above what his level 10 averages would have been from his stats since we last saw him, he's actually gained more than 7 points in 3 different stats. He's back in our party for good.

This chapter's objective is for all deployed units to escape to the tiles on the right side of the map in 20 turns or less. Considering the small distance to travel and the relative lack of enemies, it seems easy enough...

Except there's also an alternative objective to defeat this boss, who's on a completely separate island we seemingly have no way to access.

And last of all we're only allowed 3 units, all of which are force deployed. Everything about this chapter really adds to the whole feeling of "wtf" the story is going for right now. The game's actual plot aside, I love the atmosphere they're building here.

Gunter might be here as insurance to make sure a terrible or underleveled Corrin doesn't softlock you, but ideally Corrin wants to defeat as many enemies as possible, since this chapter is pretty much free EXP. These Villagers are the weakest of the enemies we'll be fighting, and yet Corrin falls just short of doubling them... I think she needs a boost from somewhere.

Time to ruin any immersion and go back to the castle to introduce the Mess Hall. Here you can cook dishes to temporarily increase a unit's stats, using the resources you find in your castle.

Unfortunately the game has randomly assigned me Arthur as a chef today. Normally a meal will give +1 to each stat that corresponds to the ingredients used to make it, but the chef currently manning the cafe will add their own modifiers. I don't know what modifiers Arthur gives, but somehow I don't think they'll be good.

Corrin needs speed to double and magic to hit OHKO thresholds. Milk & Berries is just a fruit smoothie, right? I'm sure Arthur can't mess this up.

Oh, it's actually a pudding... That adds way too many variables for my comfort. Did Arthur accidentally add salt instead of sugar? Did he use eggs that were out of date?

Good thing Corrin has children to taste test for her. She's got another kid she hasn't recruited yet, Kana can test for poison.

...congratulations Arthur you are completely useless. Turns out "Reckless" cancels out the benefits of whatever ingredients you added and replaces it with str + 2. Not useless, but not exactly helpful either...

She didn't even eat it! That's the worst thing about the mess hall, until you've upgraded it to level 3 you can't even decide who gets to eat what you've made, it just gets randomly assigned to half the units in your army. You can always repeat the process to hope you roll a better selection, but each attempt uses up ingreients...

Yeah sod the mess hall, tonic time. Corrin gets HP mag speed and def. Sucks to spend actual gold on this, but oh well. Hmm, maybe Arthur would cook better if I were paying him...

How do we reach the southern island? Let's split up and look for clues. Using this vein creates three replicas of our deployed units. They have the same stats, any stat changes, an inventory, any damage taken, and a bunch of other stuff, but they otherwise move like separate units from the original. Activating the dragon vein is completely optional, but there are a bunch of goodies on the southern island we want to get.

Azura's song will only refresh the original unit, not their clone, but the stat boosts from Inspiring Song will carry over to both. Clone Azura (Azuura) unfortunately can't sing, so she's mostly useless.

Gunter returns to serve as the ultimate pair-up partner for Corrin. He might not boost her magic stat, but his personal skill does boost her damage output and accuracy massively no matter her weapon type. He is perfectly capable of fighting alongside Corrin on his own, but doing things this way funnels all the EXP into her.

These Villagers are really just here to provide EXP. Aesthetically they also add to the weirdness of this chapter, since Villagers normally are a player or green unit only class.

These guys are the real problem. Even if they can't damage Corrin, they will debuff the stats of both her and her clone. Not a problem for the top path Corrin, but a slight issue for the bottom path one who's facing much tougher enemies and has a boss they want to defeat.

There's really not much clone Azura can do. You could pair her up with Corrin or Gunter, or you could use her personal skill to provide a very tiny amount of passive healing, but that's about it.

I never noticed it before, but the Villagers are attacking even though they can't hurt Corrin and they have no skills that would be helpful. I wonder why? I guess this map doesn't have the "AI won't attack if they can't do anything" behaviour?

Unfortunately nobody can take out these Ninjas in one hit. Corrin can counterattack them on enemy phase if she's got a Levin Sword, but they're still going to have a chance to debuff her.

The south island Ninjas are also a little scarier than the north ones. Some of them come with Poison Strike... There's 3 different stat boosters (and EXP!) available to collect though, so it's worth trying your best to take down as many as possible in the time you have. How easy that is depends on how good your Corrin is.

If your Corrin isn't promoted when you go into this chapter, they will be when you finish it.

Oops! Now that's an embarrassing mistake to make on one of Conquest's easiest chapters. Azura wasn't in range of anyone before I moved Corrin, and I forgot to count tiles to make sure she'd stay that way after I moved her...

Thankfully this chapter is so short and formulaic that I was able to do pretty much the exact same moves to get back here, so I didn't need to redo all my screenshots. In fact, stats gained upon level up are determined the moment a unit joins your party in lunatic mode, which means all my previous levels were the same. Units who join during a chapter can reroll the levels they earn there if you restart, but once the chapter ends they'll all be fixed from then on! This is meant to stop you from savescumming good levels.

Moving on... Some of the enemies closer to the boss are packing both ranged weapons and Seal skills. A ranged Corrin who can counterattack them and defeat them in a single round doesn't have anything to fear, but one who can't do that is going to have to waste multiple turns defeating enemies who can stack debuffs on them without fear of retaliation. This is one of the advantages of a magic Corrin who can use the Levin Sword.

Both copies of a unit sharing an HP bar is both good and bad. It means one unit can potentially get the other (and therefore both of them) killed, but it also means one unit can heal the other by using a Vulnerary. The top Corrin has much less work to do, so she mostly spends time healing her clone.

Level 20 at last! 20 in both offenses is very cool. Unpromoted units don't cap all their stats at 20 like they did in past games, so this isn't quite as impressive as it looks...

Incidentally, this Corrin is above average in every single stat except Luck, ironically. That last boost to her speed was enough to put her on her average for that. Most noteworthy is her magic which is 3 points higher than normal.

Time to dip into the convoy and promote her... Corrin's convoy access makes this chapter go a lot smoother, it would be really annoying if you had to bring promotion items and vulneraries with you in advance.

She only has one option available because this is not Revelation. The Conquest-unique promotion option gains the ability to use tomes, and has a focus on magic, speed, and resistance. The Birthright exclusive one gets staves and focuses on every other stat instead. Discovering your Corrin's one promotion is magic focused can be a little annoying if you picked magic as a bane.

Visually it's hardly an upgrade, your cool cape gets replaced with this crappy moth-eaten one. The rest of her outfit you can't see because I accidentally Mike Wazowski'd her with this giant text box.

Now she's promoted I can dance her again to boost her stats even further, and then give her another Vulnerary. This must be really annoying for the enemies on the bottom island.

I was saving most of these until I was sure who would be on my final team. I guess I'm still not 100% sure if Camilla's marrying Kaze or Keaton, but I doubt I'd be giving it to either of them anyway... They do both have low luck, but I don't think they'd be seeing combat much.

Equipped weapons are another thing replicas share with one another. I didn't actually know this and denied myself a counterattack for no reason because of it.

This is the last enemy left on the top island. Once he's gone I can just have OG Corrin sit there and do nothing while Azura dances her for EXP and stat boosts. If this chapter somehow takes 20 turns I'll have her ready near the exit to escape, but I don't think it will.

Over 10 turns left and most of the bottom island's been wiped out. I've definitely got time.

This group of Fighters all have Seal Strength and two of them have Hand Axes. They can be extremely annoying if you don't have a ranged weapon, especially if they lower your strength so much you can't take them out in a single round. In one occassion where I had a really bad Corrin I think I failed to beat the boss because of them.

Gunter's gaining a lot of EXP just from dual guarding. His internal level is definitely lower than it looks, although I'm not sure what exactly it is. He's leveling up faster than Corrin is anyway.

That level would have saved me from that embarrassing game over if it had happened earlier...

The boss of this chapter has some fairly solid stats, and some enemy-only 1-2 range weapons. Speedwings increase speed and are immensely valuable. This is the first one we've had the chance to get...

Defeating him can sometimes be an issue. Sometimes.

The secret is to crit him with Dragon Fang.

EZ.

This strange land has a curse on it that makes you disappear if you speak of it to anyone else. You won't know what's going on here from just playing Conquest, but in Revelation you'll learn there's actually a secret power here manipulating Garon in an attempt to destroy both kingdoms. It... wasn't a reveal people liked, and wasn't even included in the first draft of the game's story.

We do however learn that Garon is actually a slimeboy and therefore irredeemably evil and must be killed. He was once a reasonable if somewhat strict person before he got slimified, and that's why your royal siblings are still loyal to him. The rest of the game will be about trying to prove to them that Garon is in fact irredeemable. And a slimeboy. If you want an actual explanation of this game's plot then you should probably check out the other LP I linked in my OP.

Lastly, Felicia! She's been tracking us through various dimensions to find us... somehow. Probably not necessary when we keep going back to Nohr in between missions.

Felicia is the servant you would get at the start instead of Jakob if you picked a male Corrin. At this point in the game she's just there to be a backup staffbot or a support partner for someone like Leo... She's more useful as a late joiner than Jakob would have been, at least.

Next time: Obligatory boat chapter

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So has the quest for the chair officially begun or do we have to wait until the next chapter?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

midnight lasagna posted:

I would be fully on board with that if I had the room in my deployment slots. Unfortunately me wanting to use every single royal has left things pretty crowded... I'm not fully convinced I've got enough room for Leo and Xander tbh.

I mean, you don't have to use any of them long term and you DID want to unlock the paralogue. Having a very powerful (potentially) Midori is just kind of a funny joke to go with that. I guess getting their support up in a reasonable time frame could be tricky though.

I feel like Fates didn't give enough deployment slots for the number of characters it provided, particularly since they actually did a good job making them pretty distinct, whereas older FEs had a lot of mostly interchangeable people.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Man perhaps I was a little harsh on Conquest. I don't hate most of these maps now that I think about it a little.

I suppose the hellgrind starts with what's coming up though.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
The funniest part about not being able to tell the siblings about Slime Man is that the game later proves you 100% correct, because even when Slime Man is in front of your face, your siblings hesitate to fight back.

Anyways Fates is rad as long as you accept that it's also stupid and ignore Revelation.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
'We can't tell anyone cause of bullshit plot magic' I hate that part. It's so unnecessary.

My favourite part of this chapter is when Azura comes up with the plan to pretend to be on Garon's side and conquer Hoshido so they can reveal his slimy nature.... then later when Corrin, in a rare show of intelligence, pretends to have killed a bunch of soldiers to convince Iago, Azura acts shocked and appalled. IT WAS HER IDEA this game can't even be consistent

Honestly the whole 'conquer Hoshido to defeat Garon' plan is so awful that it genuinely made me suspect that Azura was going to be a villain in Revelation

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Walla posted:

Maybe I'm thinking you can only get 1 seal per save file? Though I seem to remember doing the map and not getting the reward.

I apologise. It's been years since I've messed with the dlc except for the Anna gifts and castle rewards.

It's that, you get one of each seal the first time per save that you clear it with the NPCs all alive and after that you just get a Pebble each time. There were later DLC maps that gave more copies of the seals and could be farmed infinitely for them, but those never left Japan for whatever reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm enjoying the gameplay so far, having only previously played Awakening and Three Houses. It's definitely a change of pace.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually used Azura in combat in this one. It was the combination of amusement factor, clone Azura not being able to sing, Corrin getting jack poo poo for experience here and the fact that mine's strength growth actually came through. Yours seems strength screwed, 14 is really low for her growth.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

I don't win weapons from the lottery often, but it makes sense to forge the duplicates I do get. Especially considering I'm absolutely swimming in emeralds. Bow No! isn't quite as strong as the Steel Bow, but it'll help Niles when he needs extra power but can't afford to sacrifice speed or accuracy.

Unlocked 2 C supports for Gunter and one C support between Corrin and Azura. I'm surrpised they never managed to unlock one together until now...

No point posting everyone else's stats when they're exactly the same as last time. This Corrin is blessed in almost every single stat and yet somehow she looks a little underwhelming to me? I think that's me just being ungrateful...

As soon as she learns Draconic Hex at level 5 I'm going to start reclassing her. I'll go Paladin for Elbow Room and Defender, and then after that I'll see. For some reason the Paladin class provides a single point of magic, so it might not actually be a bad class for her to remain in and use the Levin Sword.

Gunter
Great Knight (from Cavalier) (HS: Mercenary, Wyvern Rider)
A+ Support Classes: Jakob (Troubadour)
Personal Skill: Forceful Partner (Gives hit +15 and +3 damage dealt when supporting Corrin)
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 15% (35)
STR: 5% (25)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL: 5% (15)
SPD: 0% (5)
LCK: 15% (20)
DEF: 5% (25)
RES: 5% (0)

Gunter's back! And he's here to stay. Gunter is the first of one of many "Corrinsexuals", pre-promoted units who can only S support Corrin and have very few or even no support options otherwise. These units recieve one extra Heart Seal option to make up for their lack of consistent access to other classes through supports.

As you can tell by his growths, Gunter is 100% a jeigan type unit. Not one of those newfangled "growths just as good as the rest of your army" jeigans like Seth or Frederick, or even a "growths not good but still enough to make any EXP they gain not a waste" jeigan like Marcus. Gunter has base stats and as far as he's concerned they're the only stats he needs. Unlike other jeigans however, Gunter joins halfway through the campaign and most likely won't even have the highest stats of your army when he joins. There's a mounted prepromote you'll recruit next chapter who completely blows his bases out the water while also having much better growths and a personal weapon...

He's not useless as a combat unit though. Gunter's bases will keep him going for a short while. He's hard to kill and has good enough offenses to tank some enemies and soften up others for the rest of your units. Joining at such a high level is actually good for him - it puts him closer to level 15, where he will gain access to all the most valuable skills. His internal level is much lower than other units so he'll level up much faster. He's also got a level cap of 30, although in practice that doesn't really mean much since his growths are so awful. If you want to make longterm use of Gunter as anything but a support bot, swap him through a few classes to rack up as many cool skills as possible. Rally Defense from Wyvern Lord and Trample from Malig Knight are both good options.

Of course what most people will use Gunter for is supporting Corrin. His personal skill gives them a huge bonus to their offenses, and his default class of Great Knight gives them power and bulk and an extra point of move. He's definitely more useful for more physical oriented Corrins, but the +3 power boost applies to any form of attack. A longterm partner for a magical Corrin might want to switch him to Malig Knight or Bow Knight so he can give more relevant boosts. Just be aware that a Kana fathered by Gunter will have absolutely atrocious growths.

Pros
  • Godlike support partner for Corrin, increases their offensive potential massively
  • High displayed level combined with low internal level allows him to gain high level class skills earlier than anyone else
  • Good base stats make him a solid combat unit right off the bat

Cons
  • Garbage growths severely limit his longterm potential
  • Can only support a grant total of 2 units
  • Will ruin Kana's growths because being old is hereditary

My Rating: Best voice acting in the game?

Felicia
Maid (HS: Mercenary)
A+ Support Classes: Peri (Cavalier), Flora (Dark Mage)
Personal Skill: Devoted Partner (Gives +2 damage dealt and -2 damage received when supporting Corrin)
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 40% (40)
STR: 10% (20)
MAG: 35% (45)
SKL: 30% (45)
SPD: 40% (55)
LCK: 55% (65)
DEF: 15% (20)
RES: 35% (45)

It's Felicia! She's finally here, and only slightly underleveled. I don't have as much experience using Felicia as I do Jakob, especially the version that joins later in the game. That's the one I'll be talking about since she's the one I'm stuck with this playthrough.

Right off of the bat, Felicia's a staff user with C rank staves and a pretty decent magic stat. She's also able to use the Flame Shurriken immediately. If you just want a healer who's capable of dealing decent damage in an emergency then she's a perfectly serviceable unit to slot into your army. Her growths aren't very good, but that's to be expected from a magic focused unit in this game.

As a support unit she's okay. Her personal skill only benefits Corrin, but she can't S support girl Corrin and they most likely would rather pair up with Jakob or Gunter instead if they wanted a dedicated support partner who's personal skill they could take advantage of. She's a pretty good marriage candidate for Odin or Leo, who both appreciate the speed she gives and have magical children who don't mind Felicia's influence on their growths. Troubadour unfortunately isn't a particularly good class to inherit or obtain through Partner Seals, but Leo's son already gets the class by default and therefore will inherit Mercenary instead.

As for reclass options, I guess Strategist is fine? She makes a much better one than Jakob will thanks to her higher magic, although keep in mind that her physical bulk will be completely and utterly non existant as one. Bow Knight and Hero both have some decent skills, especially the Breaker ones they'll get at level 15 which Felicia will be able to unlock very quickly. Otherwise... idk really, I assume Walla has some more substantial Felicia opinions. F!Corrin Felicia is kind of just a staffbot who shares Jakob's weird level gimmick but won't have had the time he had to build supports or gain levels and WEXP.

Pros
  • Staffbot with a good starting staff rank and magic stat
  • Almost uncontested access to the Flame Shurriken
  • Weird semi-promoted status lets her gain cool skills from promoted classes early
  • A decent mother for magical units and a solid support partner for mages who need speed

Cons
  • Underleveled, mediocre stats and growths
  • Very physically fragile, bad strength means she struggles to use non-magical knives effectively
  • Likely to be outclassed by Elise or a trained Jakob as a staffbot
  • Late joiner who joins late

My Rating: Her "we've got trouble!" line-read didn't deserve to become a meme, it's perfectly fine >:[

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I don't think "We've got trouble!" became a meme because it was a bad line read, I thought it became a meme because it was cute.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I really like chapter 15. It's such a weird shift from everything else in the game and also features some of the best music.

midnight lasagna posted:

My Rating: Best voice acting in the game?
I mean, it is DC Douglas. Just photoshop Wesker's shades onto Gunter in every battle and you have perfection.

I really ought to get back to the Bad Units run I was doing (stalled out in the loving wind chapter), but both Gunter and Felicia were putting in decent work on Hard. Gunter remains one of the better physical walls for a while and is always a great pairup for Corrin, and Felicia with the Flame Shuriken does a pretty solid job of cleaning up chaff (slightly ironic). I'm very much expecting both of them to cause significant issues as I get to the endgame, though...

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

So has the quest for the chair officially begun or do we have to wait until the next chapter?

The quest for the chair starts now.

Chocolate Bunny posted:

'We can't tell anyone cause of bullshit plot magic' I hate that part. It's so unnecessary.

My favourite part of this chapter is when Azura comes up with the plan to pretend to be on Garon's side and conquer Hoshido so they can reveal his slimy nature.... then later when Corrin, in a rare show of intelligence, pretends to have killed a bunch of soldiers to convince Iago, Azura acts shocked and appalled. IT WAS HER IDEA this game can't even be consistent

Honestly the whole 'conquer Hoshido to defeat Garon' plan is so awful that it genuinely made me suspect that Azura was going to be a villain in Revelation

I think that happens at the beginning of the next chapter.

Shiny777 posted:

It's that, you get one of each seal the first time per save that you clear it with the NPCs all alive and after that you just get a Pebble each time. There were later DLC maps that gave more copies of the seals and could be farmed infinitely for them, but those never left Japan for whatever reason.
That must be it. I remember +7 Pebble being a meme because people use that map for support grinding. I love having cheats on my 3DS and not having to carry a dead unit for 7 maps to make a kid.

Cythereal posted:

I'm enjoying the gameplay so far, having only previously played Awakening and Three Houses. It's definitely a change of pace.

Fates has my favorite gameplay in the series. It's recognizable as Fire Emblem, but the aura skills and buffs and debuffs do just enough to change uo the formula.

midnight lasagna posted:

As for reclass options, I guess Strategist is fine? She makes a much better one than Jakob will thanks to her higher magic, although keep in mind that her physical bulk will be completely and utterly non existant as one. Bow Knight and Hero both have some decent skills, especially the Breaker ones they'll get at level 15 which Felicia will be able to unlock very quickly. Otherwise... idk really, I assume Walla has some more substantial Felicia opinions. F!Corrin Felicia is kind of just a staffbot who shares Jakob's weird level gimmick but won't have had the time he had to build supports or gain levels and WEXP.

Remember that your second servant gets 12 auto levels, just like Kaze. Even if you don't want male Corrin, it's not a bad idea to do the prologue maps with him just for a better Felicia later. A level 17 Felicia here would look much better, especially in the next few maps. Jakob would be weaker at the start but he would also gain levels faster in the earlier maps so you probably wouldn't notice it much. Also Corrin's level doesn't change when switching genders, and their stats only change if you alter the bane and boon.

Strategist is probably her best natural class, just like Jakob wants to be a Paladin. She gets natural access to both Tomebreaker and Shurikenbreaker and can potentially have both when it's most useful. Also you can pass Shurikenbreaker to Ophelia before benching Odin and that combined with Calamity Gate will make it impossible for ninjas to hit her.

Also also, don't overlook her personal skill. It's the equivalent of giving Corrin a strength, magic and defense tonic every time they fight together and that's pretty good.

Gunter is pretty good too. Seal him to Wyvern Lord and let him ferry Corrin everywhere. RIP Vow of Friendship.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

midnight lasagna posted:

In fact, stats gained upon level up are determined the moment a unit joins your party in lunatic mode, which means all my previous levels were the same. Units who join during a chapter can reroll the levels they earn there if you restart, but once the chapter ends they'll all be fixed from then on! This is meant to stop you from savescumming good levels.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you saying that ALL level ups FOREVER are determined when they first join you, or that at the start of each chapter all their potential level ups are calculated? Because if a unit's entire future viability is determined before you even get a chance to use them, then, well. That sucks rear end. Also, if that is the case, how does it work when you change class?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Are you saying that ALL level ups FOREVER are determined when they first join you, or that at the start of each chapter all their potential level ups are calculated? Because if a unit's entire future viability is determined before you even get a chance to use them, then, well. That sucks rear end. Also, if that is the case, how does it work when you change class?

Yup, it saves a string of the rolls, so changing class would still change their growths the roll is compared against. In theory you could class change around to get a stat point you would otherwise miss, but that's a cool 4k in cash per level up you do that for. It's not exactly sustainable.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's a lunatic only thing, but yes every single level is pre-rolled. Basically 2 dice are rolled for each stat 40 times, so if you class change you can manipulate the rolls a little but since you don't know the values you're never going to know if the level up was effected or not unless you play with multiple saves. Really the units just end up on their averages. It just means if you reset a map you're not changing your stat gains.

I actually like it. I wish there was a toggle that you could choose at the beginning of a new game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, it changes that godawful feeling of getting a reset after a string of really good levels. It means your mistake just cost you time and not a super good unit.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Wasn't there a game that did like a fixed level up mode? One of the Tellius games I think?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Wasn't there a game that did like a fixed level up mode? One of the Tellius games I think?

They... weren't so fixed and would alter based in incredibly weird, obtuse and completely opaque mechanics including what weapons you had used.

E:
oh and I forgot it was new game+ for whatever reason.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 21, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Best voice acting in nouveau FE games is still Berkut. :colbert: Also, since we don't care about spoilers: is this Gunter still possessed by the Revelation dragon king or whatever the gently caress happens there?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Gunter is only possessed in Revelation. You can tell because Conquest Gunter can gain supports, but Revelation can't.

I'm not sure of the reasoning.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bogart posted:

Best voice acting in nouveau FE games is still Berkut. :colbert: Also, since we don't care about spoilers: is this Gunter still possessed by the Revelation dragon king or whatever the gently caress happens there?

Lies! Lies! Lies! Lies! LIEEEEESSSSSSS!

UNCLEEEEEEEEEEE

(god, Ian Sinclair does such an excellent job)

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I think the only reason you can't support Gunter in Revelation is because you're basically guaranteed to have an S-Rank open with him before you get other party members and Gunter Kana, as mentioned, sucks.

Gunter should totally have like all 70 growths but an unremovable skill that halves them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Its funny that Gunter can have growths like that and not actually be useless due to Fate's mechanics. Being a movement/stat backpack is a dumb role, but Corrin can actually make use of it so... sure!

The other people with passives that buff Corrin don't gain access or easy access to Wyvern Rider so let's milk it I guess.