Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If you do get a prebuilt, reformat it ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
so i built a PC way back in 2013 and the case is getting a bit dinged up and i want to swap it out. however, all knowledge of anything about PC building has leaked out of my head in the interim so I feel a bit like a newbie again.

given these specs, what size case am I looking for?

also, since switching cases will be a good time to upgrade anything - are there any components that look particularly dated? i mainly use the PC for recording/editing audio and occasionally (non-graphic intensive) gaming, so I'm guessing the GPU is fine, but maybe some sort of processing speed boost would make things snappier?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PopZeus posted:

so i built a PC way back in 2013 and the case is getting a bit dinged up and i want to swap it out. however, all knowledge of anything about PC building has leaked out of my head in the interim so I feel a bit like a newbie again.

given these specs, what size case am I looking for?

also, since switching cases will be a good time to upgrade anything - are there any components that look particularly dated? i mainly use the PC for recording/editing audio and occasionally (non-graphic intensive) gaming, so I'm guessing the GPU is fine, but maybe some sort of processing speed boost would make things snappier?

There is no reasonable upgrade for that machine. That machine is old enough that you are nearing total rebuild territory anyway. I would personally hold off on a case change until you’re going to full rebuild as you don’t know what you’ll need.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

There is no reasonable upgrade for that machine. That machine is old enough that you are nearing total rebuild territory anyway. I would personally hold off on a case change until you’re going to full rebuild as you don’t know what you’ll need.

ah, good to know! so the new question would be - are there any general benchmarks to aim for when looking to build one that can do both audio and video editing?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A memory upgrade might help since that's particularly slow RAM. In fact, I have to wonder if that memory is meant to be faster and XMP isn't enabled in the BIOS. edit: unless it's showing the base clock of DDR3-1333. ignore me if so.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 17, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

PopZeus posted:

ah, good to know! so the new question would be - are there any general benchmarks to aim for when looking to build one that can do both audio and video editing?

Frankly I'm surprised you haven't been frustrated by the speed of it and it's only the case that made you want to upgrade!

Generally speaking AMD Ryzens are the best productivity CPUs, available in 6, 8, 12 and 16 core flavours in the 5600x/5800x/5900x/5950x. You'll want to pair that with either 16 or 32GB of CL16 3200 - 3600 speed DDR4 RAM in a b550 chipset motherboard.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

PopZeus posted:

Puget Systems have some good productivity benchmarks around stuff like video editing and photoshop
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-CPU-Performance-1960/
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-Studio-11th-Gen-Intel-Core-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5000-Series-2104/

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I have a problem.

I put the PC together this weekend. Got a scare when it wouldn't post, but figured it out eventually. Despite reading the manual, I still had managed to connect the front panel header incorrectly. Also, one of the Arctic P12s was a dud (blades hitting the housing at low speeds), but I had a spare Cooler Master fan that came with the case, so put that in for now.

Now to the actual problem.

I didn't realise that the video card had LEDs on it which would be visible through the mesh. I turned them off, but the damage was already done. Despite having thought that ARGB LEDs are a gimmick at best and deliberately going for a stealthy and understated look, I now want to replace ALL the fans with new ones with pretty lights on them.

It's just addiction to shopping for parts, isn't it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

a podcast for cats posted:

I have a problem.

I put the PC together this weekend. Got a scare when it wouldn't post, but figured it out eventually. Despite reading the manual, I still had managed to connect the front panel header incorrectly. Also, one of the Arctic P12s was a dud (blades hitting the housing at low speeds), but I had a spare Cooler Master fan that came with the case, so put that in for now.

Now to the actual problem.

I didn't realise that the video card had LEDs on it which would be visible through the mesh. I turned them off, but the damage was already done. Despite having thought that ARGB LEDs are a gimmick at best and deliberately going for a stealthy and understated look, I now want to replace ALL the fans with new ones with pretty lights on them.

It's just addiction to shopping for parts, isn't it?

Pretty much, I dismissed ARGB poo poo as dumb stuff just like cold cathode lights were but then wound up with an entire case full of them because I am shallow and like the inside of my PC to look like the Vegas Strip I guess.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I've never understood the whole make-your-pc-look-like-a-pride-parade thing. I think it looks gaudy and infantile

I'm a pretty miserable guy tho

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've never understood the whole make-your-pc-look-like-a-pride-parade thing. I think it looks gaudy and infantile

That's just, like, your opinion, man

I've always liked lights and patterns, love laser shows and club lights and stuff like that. They're cool to just watch and zone out with for a bit. And it's not like you can't turn them off when you don't want them, it's just fun to have the option

Also it's not like hyperactive rainbow patterns are your only option. A nice orange/red/blue/whatever glow can look really cool, and add a little colour to a room

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Get out of my account.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I love ARGB and you can pry my gaudily lit case, keyboard and mouse from my cold dead hands if you really HAVE to. Otherwise, just bury them with me.

Jokes aside I also hated RGB with a passion some 15 years ago, but it turns out that when I had enough money to blow and I could actually choose almost freely what went into my build, I managed to make my first "beautiful" (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I've gotten plenty of compliments on it so I choose to believe it's actually good) build in a Meshify C and loved it.

Next build will be even more flashy, I'm waiting for the Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo to be announced in December (here's a preview by Der8auer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGr6DXtxuxI )and new CPUs to come out to see what to fill it with besides copious amounts of ARGB stuff. I do want to try that vertical GPU mount on the side panel and have a 360mm radiator on top as exhaust and 3x 120mm fans on the bottom as intake. If that setup sucks for some reason, I'll be putting the radiator as side exhaust, vertical mount GPU but on the "normal" brackets, and 3x bottom intake to keep it all cool.

I have two questions for now: are AIOs now reliable and good? I'd be getting one for aesthetic reasons mostly (so I'm not about to spend lots of money building a custom loop) since I'm not an extreme overclocker, but back when I made my last builds (2015-2018 or so) there were still lots of unanswered questions about the long term reliability, leaks, breakage rates, price/value proposition etc on AIOs.... but air cpu coolers haven't gotten any smaller or cuter, they're still big hunking cubes of metal that look kind of out of place in the sort of build I want to make

next, this one will probably get me laughed out of the thread, but is there any hint on when GPUs are going to become available to the average man who doesn't want to spend his life botting on discord channels for drops or whatever fancy methods people use nowadays? It's not a budget issue, even though I don't like to waste money, and I'm in no hurry to build a new pc (thank God I bought a 1080 just before the super-expensive 2000 series came out), but I like to plan things in advance which is almost impossible these days with completely random prices and availability of GPUs (skewed towards the "we don't have them ,and if we do the price is 300% MSRP because gently caress you" end of the spectrum) and no significant news on the next gen/refresh GPUs that surely should come out relatively soon?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I've been using an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 for the past year or so and I'm really pleased with it. Keeps my 3600 (admittedly not a particularly heat-generating CPU) down around 25-30c at idle, depending on ambient temperature, and it's quiet and unobtrusive. It reviews very well, as well.

I get the impression that AIOs are more of a lateral step rather than a strict improvement over air coolers unless you're running a particularly hot CPU, but they're perfectly legit now (though read reviews, of course)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hi goons, hoping I can get some help building a home work PC for my wife that's also used to play some fairly gentle video games (Co-op stuff like Overcooked mostly. The most specs demanding game is Earth Defense Force 5 or Satisfactory). The last time I built a PC was before the pandemic, and virtually all the parts I used just a few years ago are listed as unavailable on PC Part Picker now. The main reason for the update is that over the years the PC has gotten slower and slower to do anything, to the point where now it feels like it takes a minute to open anything. Office documents, Steam, chrome, whatever, all take painfully long to start.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? work from home (Chemical Engineering, so a fair amount of mathcad and matlab math, but not much need for robust graphics or more demanding simulations. She has a work desktop that she remotes into now).
What's your budget? ~$1200
monitor resolution / refresh rate? Keeping both current monitors, here's the newer one 1080p 60HZ

The last time I updated her computer was back in 2015. I suspect the only thing worth salvaging and reusing is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GAMING Video Card, and if video card prices weren't completely insane I'd be expecting to update that too. Old PCPartPickerList in case there's anything else worth salvaging.

Storage looks reasonably priced, so will probably try to get a 2 TB drive.

PCPartPicker part list
CPU:
CPU Cooler:
Memory:
Storage: 2TB Samsung 870 evo?
Video Card: GeForce GTX 970 4 GB from old PC
Power Supply:
Monitor: re-using her current monitors, 1080p 60HZ is the newer one
keyboard, mouse, speakers: re-using current ones
OS: I think I can transfer her windows 10 license from her current pc
Total:

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 18, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you don't need to spend anywhere near 1200 dollars, definitely not if you're not updating the GPU. a ryzen 5600X, 16 or prolly in your case 32GB of at least 3000mhz ideally 3600mhz ram, a b550 motherboard, probably a good idea to use the NVME slot if you aren't already so like a wd sn550 or something. decent gold rated PSU, whatever case reviews well and catches your fancy.

easy peasy. you could go even cheaper on the CPU if you wanted, there's a competitive 6 core/12 thread intel cpu that would need another mobo but is broadly the same.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Potentially stupid question, but I current have a 32gb 2x16gb set in my PC and I'm looking into getting a second to expand the system memory out to 64gb as I am actually getting close to the 32gb limit often with my workloads (I'm running two different VMs pretty regularly now).

Do I need to make sure the second set of Ram matches the first? Do they need to be the same speed or does it not matter? Will I get a performance benefit if I buy ram that's clocked higher than the first pair or will that not work?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a 970 will push 90% of games at mediumism or better 1080/60 too. probably better than a last gen console but not the pro version, i'd eyeball? the rest of your kit will be a ton more powerful so it will be the bottleneck.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CerealKilla420 posted:

Potentially stupid question, but I current have a 32gb 2x16gb set in my PC and I'm looking into getting a second to expand the system memory out to 64gb as I am actually getting close to the 32gb limit often with my workloads (I'm running two different VMs pretty regularly now).

Do I need to make sure the second set of Ram matches the first? Do they need to be the same speed or does it not matter? Will I get a performance benefit if I buy ram that's clocked higher than the first pair or will that not work?

it is ideal for it to match, that minimizes risk of weirdness and allows more stable overclocks and higher speeds sometimes but it's almost always fine to mix. all your poo poo goes to the lowest common denominator in terms of performance so if you added faster ram it wouldn't do anything but if you added slower than your current it would actually slow your current down.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CoolCab posted:

it is ideal for it to match, that minimizes risk of weirdness and allows more stable overclocks and higher speeds sometimes but it's almost always fine to mix. all your poo poo goes to the lowest common denominator in terms of performance so if you added faster ram it wouldn't do anything but if you added slower than your current it would actually slow your current down.

Ok that's what I figured...

I'll just try to get the same 3200mhz sticks. They're cheaper anyways I just wasn't sure...

Thank you!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Are we close enough to Alder Lake to recommend everyone who can wait to wait just a little bit longer (with a note in the op and title)? It's under two weeks to launch, November 4th, and it's looking to seriously shake up the desktop market.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's also looking shaky for games

There are more and more leaks and bad news about its scheduler and its interaction with drm in a lot of games, on top of general middling performance

I bit the bullet on a 5600x anyway, I can always upgrade to 5800 3dv next year.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
idk i feel like if it actually shakes up the desktop market the recommendations will change, they always do. i would need enthusiast press to start making recommendations before i would.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I love ARGB and you can pry my gaudily lit case, keyboard and mouse from my cold dead hands if you really HAVE to. Otherwise, just bury them with me.

Jokes aside I also hated RGB with a passion some 15 years ago, but it turns out that when I had enough money to blow and I could actually choose almost freely what went into my build, I managed to make my first "beautiful" (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I've gotten plenty of compliments on it so I choose to believe it's actually good) build in a Meshify C and loved it.

back when i was buying my last round of parts several years ago fractal was selling the version of their cases without a transparent window on the side for a little cheaper so i got that and could ignore the inside but now they're selling them for the same price so you'll want the windowed one but then you'll want to get fancy lightup inside parts. fractal is in on a conspiracy with the people who charge 30 bucks to put LEDs on a ram stick

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I thought I was adamantly anti-LEDs when building my PC but... there's a big window on the side. I thought RGB RAM was as far as I would go, but my new mechanical keyboard just has a rainbow wave moving across it at all times and it's too cool to turn off (and not obtrusive anyways)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The point of ARBG is that you can change the colors to whatever you want, including all of them at once. This is like being mad at people for having a favorite color.

And this is coming from someone with LEDs off in my current rig because I achieved my preferred aesthetic with the case alone.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's also looking shaky for games

There are more and more leaks and bad news about its scheduler and its interaction with drm in a lot of games, on top of general middling performance

General middling performance? Every leak is extremely promising for ADL. The 12400 is looking like being a 5600x killer for cheaper and it doesn't have E-cores so scheduler concerns are a non-issue.

I'm not saying it'll necessarily replace every recommendation in two weeks but I think it's so soon everyone who can wait to see, should wait.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

General middling performance? Every leak is extremely promising for ADL. The 12400 is looking like being a 5600x killer for cheaper and it doesn't have E-cores so scheduler concerns are a non-issue.

I'm not saying it'll necessarily replace every recommendation in two weeks but I think it's so soon everyone who can wait to see, should wait.

Eh. Leak implied intel based performance numbers, which I don’t trust at all. That pricing leak that happened may mean the prices are insane if they’re really that good.

On top of all that, lol if you think anyone in this thread will get one if they’re actually good. Chip shortage plus scalpers etc etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
when are the reviews due?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I keep hearing that the embargo ends 4 Nov.

I finally have enough saved to comfortably put together a new WFH desktop, but if Alder Lake might drop prices a bit then I guess I can wait a couple weeks more.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Barry Foster posted:

And it's not like you can't turn them off when you don't want them,
Is that always true? I've got some RGB ram on a cheapo motherboard. Is there some secret software that will let me shut it up?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

Is that always true? I've got some RGB ram on a cheapo motherboard. Is there some secret software that will let me shut it up?

Usually the manufacturer will provide something (although it's often dogshit), although YMMV.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey guys, I'm saving up for a new PC, I havent upgraded my PC in six years and I'm ready to upgrade to build a PC that will last me another 5-6 years, I plan on just emptying out the case I already have and re-filling it with the following components:-

My current Case is a large Fractal Design which I think is equivalent to this one:-

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-r6/blackout/

Here is the build I'm going for:-

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($745.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($147.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($6.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($132.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($132.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($356.85 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($324.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($204.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $2248.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-19 08:45 EDT-0400

I mainly use my PC for both Gaming and Creative work such as 2D animation, Painting, concept art, After Effects, Premiere and Photoshop which I use extensively. However I do plan on dabbling in some very basic Blender 3D animation. I plan on having a 4K monitor and then a 4K Wacom Cintiq plugged into the same machine. I also plan on streaming my art making.

is this a good setup to last me a while and power me through the 4K gaming generation? thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'll refrain from commenting on the rest since I don't know what kind of hardware your planned usage necessitates, but I do have a (potentially controversial) opinion on the longevity of the current top-end GPUs.

I don't think the 3080 will be a particularly good 4K card for 5 to 6 years to come. To be frank, I don't think any card out right now will be, not even a 6900 XT or 3090. If this were 1440p then I'd say yes, but 4K is a very challenging resolution to render. It takes roughly three times as much power to render 4K than it does 1080p, and the industry has not fully completed its transition to making 4K the new standard—we're still in an awkward middle period where we're pretty okay at 4K but a handful of games can still bring even brand-new top-end hardware to its knees at that res. I personally expect these top-end GPUs to become obsolete at 4K sooner than the previous top-end GPUs became obsolete at 1080p. I'll give the 3080 three more years at most at 4K before you start really wanting an upgrade. Hopefully by that point, GPU prices won't be as insane and you'll be able to upgrade to a GPU that has true longevity at 4K.

Maybe the advent of AI upscaling will prove me wrong, but I don't love the look of DLSS past its highest quality mode. If it takes DLSS performance mode on lower settings to hit 4K 5 years from now, then eh... You should probably plan on upgrading your GPU sooner than the rest of your build, if nothing else. Which is pretty discouraging given how expensive video cards are nowadays. TBH, I feel like games moved to 4K too soon. I guess the industry's hand has been forced by TV manufacturers pushing the format before game hardware was ready for it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'll refrain from commenting on the rest since I don't know what kind of hardware your planned usage necessitates, but I do have a (potentially controversial) opinion on the longevity of the current top-end GPUs.

I don't think the 3080 will be a particularly good 4K card for 5 to 6 years to come. To be frank, I don't think any card out right now will be, not even a 6900 XT or 3090. If this were 1440p then I'd say yes, but 4K is a very challenging resolution to render. It takes roughly three times as much power to render 4K than it does 1080p, and the industry has not fully completed its transition to making 4K the new standard—we're still in an awkward middle period where we're pretty okay at 4K but a handful of games can still bring even brand-new top-end hardware to its knees at that res. I personally expect these top-end GPUs to become obsolete at 4K sooner than the previous top-end GPUs became obsolete at 1080p. I'll give the 3080 three more years at most at 4K before you start really wanting an upgrade. Hopefully by that point, GPU prices won't be as insane and you'll be able to upgrade to a GPU that has true longevity at 4K.

Maybe the advent of AI upscaling will prove me wrong, but I don't love the look of DLSS past its highest quality mode. If it takes DLSS performance mode on lower settings to hit 4K 5 years from now, then eh... You should probably plan on upgrading your GPU sooner than the rest of your build, if nothing else. Which is pretty discouraging given how expensive video cards are nowadays. TBH, I feel like games moved to 4K too soon. I guess the industry's hand has been forced by TV manufacturers pushing the format before game hardware was ready for it.

This is a good point, but my philosophy on GPU's is that so long as it's on par or slightly better than the current generation of videogame consoles then it will last me just as long as that console cycle.

like for example, I currently have a GTX 970, by today's standards it's paltry, but because it was more powerful than a PS4 is, then I am managing just fine with it until today because all games up until now are made to work with a PS4 level of capability. now that console generations are moving forward significantly however, it's clear I gotta move on to something on par with the PS5 to last me as long. at least that's my thinking.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The XSX and PS5 are 4K-capable, but they do not do 4K effortlessly. New console games often target 30 FPS in their "quality" modes, which frequently means "below 4K, but close enough that most users hopefully won't notice." Like 1800p or something (or down to 1440p in the worst cases). Games also naturally run better on consoles than they do on directly equivalent hardware on a PC, though AI upscaling can make up the difference there. I'm also expecting new console revisions a bit sooner than the in-between steps we saw in the previous generation.

I'm just a bit pessimistic on the long-term viability of the current cards at 4K. Maybe the 3080 will be fine five years from now. It's not like there are much better options available, anyway. If nothing else, the 3080 will do 4K well right now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's no secret even the top end gpus are leaning hard on upscaler tech just to do 4k smoothly

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeah despite nvidia’s “it’s 4K ready!!!!” Fanfare, we’re just not there. IMO we’re at least 2 gens away from decent, real 4k.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lol they were promising 8k with the 3090 somehow.

1440p is the sweet spot for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

lol they were promising 8k with the 3090 somehow.

the big asterisk was 8k when using DLSS

tbh 4k isn't all that different, rendering it natively will probably always be a meme and long term when 4k becomes the standard we'll be using dynamic resolution feeding some kind of fancy upscaler as a matter of course