Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You barely have to move as dragoon. It's - - r r f and - - - f r.

Having to do positionals on back-to-back GCDs is what makes it slightly tricky imo. SAM and NIN have more frequent positionals, but more time to move because they’re all combo enders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

You barely have to move as dragoon. It's - - r r f and - - - f r.

standing on the border between flank and rear and occasionally sliding two feet the other way is fun. Also the endgame math tryhards figured out that the difference between nailing every positional and missing them all makes a total of 4% difference to your dps, so no one even notices if you don't bother doing them. Especially since you'd either have to be trying or have a tank actively loving with you to miss them all.

Theris fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 19, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Theris posted:

standing on the border between flank and rear and occasionally sliding two feet the other way is fun. Also the endgame math tryhards figured out that the difference between nailing every positional and missing them all makes a total of 4% difference to your dps, so no one even notices if you don't bother doing them. Especially since you'd either have to be trying or have a tank actively loving with you to miss them all.

Yeah. I don't mind the middle monk positional going, because it lets Perfect Balance and Blitzes flow a bit smoother, but back to back alternating positionals are like a couple steps of movement or 2.4s, and honestly more of an optimization than a requirement. Positionals are fun.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
What are you'alls top secret lucky numbers for Jumbo Cactpot? Ive only done two drawings so far but my pool of numbers right now is

I use two of the above, then my third ticket is the month/day birthdate of whoever I know IRL that pops into my head first.

Very auspicious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I do randoms every time.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Subjunctive posted:

I do randoms every time.

You monster

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That way I’m not certain as soon as I hand in the first one that they’ve all lost. I get 3 times the anticipation!

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Woo just wrapped up the first Stormblood credit roll. I enjoyed that story even if it wasn't quite as good as HW. I'm hoping to get through all of the Shadowbringers MSQ before EW drops.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

WITCHCRAFT posted:

What are you'alls top secret lucky numbers for Jumbo Cactpot? Ive only done two drawings so far but my pool of numbers right now is

I use two of the above, then my third ticket is the month/day birthdate of whoever I know IRL that pops into my head first.

Very auspicious.

1337 was the winning number one time and dozens of people won lol

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Pobrecito posted:

Woo just wrapped up the first Stormblood credit roll. I enjoyed that story even if it wasn't quite as good as HW. I'm hoping to get through all of the Shadowbringers MSQ before EW drops.

Hey me too a couple days ago. ShB is super neat. I took 2 days off work this week to just MSQ my life away, just cause I gotta know!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I decide ahead of time on a few numbers, usually a birthday or just a pattern, and then random until the last digits match up. So if I was thinking of 6/13 I'd find a random ending in 6, a random ending in 1, and one ending in 3.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I always do at least one ticket of 0000.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Nibble posted:

Having to do positionals on back-to-back GCDs is what makes it slightly tricky imo. SAM and NIN have more frequent positionals, but more time to move because they’re all combo enders.

Dragoon is also losing the positional requirements on wheeling and fang to trigger Raiden thrust. You still want to land them because they get a pretty big potency boost for doing so but whiffing them no longer will desynch your whole rotation either.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I pick numbers basically at random but I do it myself instead of hitting the random button because I want to be responsible for what happens. I won the grand prize a little while ago so it's a strat that's already paid off.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I did Ultima Weapon for the first time a while back. I've kind of stalled on the MSQ because I took the advantage of flying mounts to level other combat jobs and dip my toes into the gathering/crafting jobs. I think I'm almost to Ishgard in the MSQ.

When I first played Ultima Weapon, I was like "holy poo poo, this is the Last Boss! This fight is so badass!!"

Since then I have realized that Ultima Weapon isn't a Last Boss. You just finished the tutorial. This is the first boss of the rest of the game. I'm so excited to get into HW group content.

Thornmarch was amazing when the music came in, it's simultaneously goofy and epic. My favorite fight so far was The Whorleater and it was entirely because of the pre-fight music. My subwoofer rattled the windows on those drum beats and I was HYPED

This is the track in-game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JnpkloqH6g

I immediately thought of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M4K5wk9DCM

It is a song about invaders crossing the sea to Japan. The savage wind and waves destroy the fleet. Not by chance. A powerful, primal spirit made the wind and waves lash the fleet to pieces.

The drum beat started in the cinematic before The Whorleater and I was like "oh poo poo I'm not fighting some big snake dragon thing, I'm fighting Literally The Ocean As a Concept. The fight itself I felt like I was being thrown across the ship and slammed almost overboard multiple times. I've done some of the ARR extreme trials and parts of Crystal Tower but none of them felt badass as The Whorleater.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Yeah. I don't mind the middle monk positional going, because it lets Perfect Balance and Blitzes flow a bit smoother, but back to back alternating positionals are like a couple steps of movement or 2.4s, and honestly more of an optimization than a requirement. Positionals are fun.

I largely enjoyed positionals while I leveled NIN to 80. However, on MNK I can't wait until I get to the later levels. Dungeon bosses turn around to target non-tanks so goddamn much in ARR and early HW dungeons.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I think it's about time I joined a free company and I was looking at the goon companies, because, you know, they're right there. It looks like they'd prefer for me to join TPT, but I don't have access to Kugane and won't for a while yet (I think). Can I join the company without going to Kugane? Or should I join a different company?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Picayune posted:

I think it's about time I joined a free company and I was looking at the goon companies, because, you know, they're right there. It looks like they'd prefer for me to join TPT, but I don't have access to Kugane and won't for a while yet (I think). Can I join the company without going to Kugane? Or should I join a different company?

I'm pretty sure you can still join, you just have to apply through either right-clicking a member in the wild, or through the free company menu. At least I think there's a way to do it from there, I've never done it that way.

You won't be able to visit the FC house until you reach Kugane, but you can still get all the other benefits.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you can visit the fc house (and the shirogane housing wards) before unlocking kugane proper via teleport directly to the street in front of the house. you just won't be able to leave the wards via the ferry to kugane and will have to teleport back out like you do 99.99% of the time anyway.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tortolia posted:

Glad you're having fun and you'll soon be to able to address some of those things (like unlocking AST or getting the 50-60 skills, which are unfortunately tied to HW zones and plot progression; after that the only job skills tied to job quests are the level 70 capstones).

Can I ask what you're having issues with? We may be able to advise adjustments in this regard.

Thanks for reading my impressions dump. And thanks everyone for advice.

I am constantly playing the hud-rearrangement mini-game so I don't want to call out specific gripes with the HUD yet. Everything relevant is competeing for readability 2-3 meters away from a TV at 1360x768 native. Having a seperate HUD layout for multiplayer stuff has been the biggest help. It's not always fun trying to find the balance between having a readable UI vs a clear view of the field, but every improvement is satisfying. I am yet to play with font sizes and colors too.

When poo poo starts going down in a boss fight there are so many bunched up player names with titles. Damage numbers, ability names, and visual effects, cover a lot of the action too. I could turn off player names / titles or make them too small to easily read but that feels contrast to the point and spirit of the thing. Healing from the back, sometimes I don't get a good look at a cool boss for the whole fight.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Begemot posted:

I'm pretty sure you can still join, you just have to apply through either right-clicking a member in the wild, or through the free company menu. At least I think there's a way to do it from there, I've never done it that way.

You won't be able to visit the FC house until you reach Kugane, but you can still get all the other benefits.

You absolutely can visit your FC house if it's in kugane before reaching there in the story, but you won't be able to leave the housing district.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Picayune posted:

they made a new guild for new people, Eorzea Mahjong club, that has a house in uldah. Might be a better fit.

The house is at Plot 57, 10th Ward Subdivision, The Goblet (Ul'dah). You may need to get into the discord to get the invite approved, so check the op of the main thread.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
There’s also no reason you couldn’t join any of the other FCs, if they have room. I’m in PBC and haven’t noticed any spoilers in chat, and people are always happy to answer questions or run content with first-timers.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nibble posted:

There’s also no reason you couldn’t join any of the other FCs, if they have room. I’m in PBC and haven’t noticed any spoilers in chat, and people are always happy to answer questions or run content with first-timers.

Yeah, it's not that PBC or DGKK are newbie unfriendly, just they were both pruning folks who hadn't actually been inactive that long, and Third Party Tools went from being ~420 people to also approaching cap, which is why they created a 4th FC recently.

Regardless, the application process is the same for any of the FCs, and it's pretty seamless in the Catgirl Bargains discord linked from the OP of the main thread (just requires some manual auth since GDN is dead, but we've got tons of inviters who can assist).

Heran Bago posted:

Thanks for reading my impressions dump. And thanks everyone for advice.

I am constantly playing the hud-rearrangement mini-game so I don't want to call out specific gripes with the HUD yet. Everything relevant is competeing for readability 2-3 meters away from a TV at 1360x768 native. Having a seperate HUD layout for multiplayer stuff has been the biggest help. It's not always fun trying to find the balance between having a readable UI vs a clear view of the field, but every improvement is satisfying. I am yet to play with font sizes and colors too.

When poo poo starts going down in a boss fight there are so many bunched up player names with titles. Damage numbers, ability names, and visual effects, cover a lot of the action too. I could turn off player names / titles or make them too small to easily read but that feels contrast to the point and spirit of the thing. Healing from the back, sometimes I don't get a good look at a cool boss for the whole fight.

Yeah, that's fair, I can't necessarily speak towards optimizing the screen on a lower resolution TV. If you're using duty specific HUDs that does a lot of the work, and there's some options in the character/system config menus that can further help (like one that auto-hides your quest journal in instances). Beyond that, it's just tweaking it; maybe hiding player titles and using initials instead of full character names; resizing particular windows that don't need to be so large, adjusting screen positions, etc.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
All of the goon fcs are good. DGKK is definitely the best by a country mile though. And I've heard weird rumors about PBC. Something about forced donations from new members and something called a "beat in"? Just rumors I've heard obviously but better safe than sorry.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
New folks! There's some cool stuff going on right now!

Dragon Quest X collaboration - get a Thug's Mug, get the Slime Crown (it has jiggle physics), get the Brickman minion, get, uh, some Puff Puff. https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/003226.html

Unlike the FFXV crossover this is a lower level event and also only takes about 20-30 minutes; so it's quick to knock out.

Moogle Treasure Trove, colloquially known as a Mogtome event. Square has started doing these during the quiet times between patches. https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/mogmog-collection/202110/7pBwXOpUFp

In short, a variety of content will also now give you Irregular Tomestones, aka "mogtomes", when you complete them. You straight up exchange mogtomes for goodies. A lot of them are things you can obtain elsewhere in game (minions, beast tribe mounts, music rolls), but if you want X reward but don't necessarily want to farm the respective trial, here you go.

A lot of the qualifying content is level 50+ (MSQDR is always a popular choice), but PVP is super busy during mogtome events, and if you're curious about Rival Wings, this is the best time to go do it.

Every mogtome event has a special glam item for 100 mogtomes that you can't get anywhere else - this time it's a cool bomber jacket that they unlocked from doing some community Blue Mage runs during the big 14 hour livestream a few months back.

This runs until patch 6.0, so you've got just under a month to earn those mogtomes. Have fun!

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

How do you rank up further in your GC after the level you get your squadron?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's only two more ranks implemented in the game, and for both you'll have to interact with the Squadrons. The first will require completing two Flagged Squadron missions, one unlocks when a member reaches level 20, the other at level 40. The second will require running 5 dungeons with your Squadron and completing a Flagged mission that unlocks once a member reaches level 50. If you want an indepth guide for doing Squadron stuff, this WeskAlber video is a great one.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

five unique dungeons iirc

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ah, yes, it is unique dungeons.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

If you have no interest in crafters and gatherers, run maps. A couple of hours in a group clearing Zonureskins is still profitable. Map profits are far better at the start of patches though.

Long-term, retainer ventures are a lot of free gil, but it will be less profitable with only combat jobs. Ideally you want desynth for some of the gear they bring, which takes some crafting. The highest value targeted material explorations tend to be the gatherer ones as well.

I really recommend leveling a gatherer job or three if you can be arsed. Maps alone are 300k+/week, gathering lets your retainers do the more profitable ventures, and you can gather reasonably profitable HW and StB materials at no gear investment.

What is this about maps

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

What is this about maps

The level 60-70-80 group maps (zonureskin is the level 80 group map; if you read the descriptions on the maps it will mention if a party is recommended or not as there are solo maps at those levels) have a chance at spawning a portal to a treasure dungeon, which gives you a bunch of gil and tomestones outright, plus chances at rare materials and other treasure.

Since maps are on a 18 hour gathering timer the supply can be limited, so folks will buy the unused maps directly to run them. So you can gather and sell them, or gather and use them in map parties.

Of note in the current Mogtome event item pool are "ostensibly special" maps; these are unique in that they not only stack in inventory but guarantee the treasure portals.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
For the sake of discussion, I'm only talking about Timeworn Zonureskin Maps, the latest and highest level.

You can collect one map a day with your gatherers (total), and can only have one in your inventory at a time. You can put them in retainers, etc. to hold more total, but one on hand.

They generally sell for decent values.

The use of a map is in two commands - Decypher and Dig.
Decypher will show you a map fragment for a random part of a random zone in Shadowbringers, and mark a big X on it. There are a limited number of locations, so there are guides online that show you where your map fragment corresponds to.

You go to that point and use the Dig command. If you're in the right spot, a treasure appears. If not, it says you didn't find anything and you can try to find the correct spot.

If you are correct, waves of monsters will spawn. You'll probably need some amount of group presence to deal with them. When you win, you can open the chest. Inside you'll get a load of random crystals, gil, tomestones, crafting mats, and the chance to get rare cosmetic materials. Shell Leather, for example, is selling around 300K a piece.

If you're lucky, you also get a portal that will open. You take the party in, and you end up in two random dungeons. You can take 8, but a balanced 4 person party is usually fine as well.

One leads you to a room with a chest. Kill the waves, loot the chest, yadda yadda. You'll have a choice of 3 doors. One will continue the run, two will boot you to the outside world again. The further you go, the better chances for rare items, and the bigger loot tables. Rare housing, rare minions, etc. Eventually you reach the bottom, and everyone gets like 100K gil plus from the chest, plus loot.

The other dungeon is like a roulette table. Take a spin, fight the boss or waves, loot the chest. Some rolls boot you, some rolls give you bonuses.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Good lord, this is all very confusing. I guess I'll make more sense of it when i actually get there, I'm still doing my anima weapon quest back in heavensward. There's just so much to do in this game

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wait, question about the anima weapon. Each intermediary stage is it's own look, right? If I want to keep a "copy" of an intermediary stage for glamor do i need to redo the whole quest up until that point?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McCloud posted:

Wait, question about the anima weapon. Each intermediary stage is it's own look, right? If I want to keep a "copy" of an intermediary stage for glamor do i need to redo the whole quest up until that point?

No, Gerolt's assistant or the nodes should sell "replica" versions for a small sum of gil. Those are your glam versions and can be placed inside the glamour dresser. You can also buy them whenever needed.

ARR relics are the exception here in that you have to complete the entire weapon to the end before replicas are available. Expansion relics have the replicas available as you go along.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm should i farm a bunch of the ARR relic fates at once. like as long as im in the zone with these weapon ill never otherwise use, kinda makes sense to try to get 3 or 4?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

McCloud posted:

No, every major revision of the look will be available as a replica from a vendor near Gerolt. They do this with every relic weapon, so you can have spares for glamour purposes. The only ones that aren't available sometimes are like the intermediate steps without glow/particle effects. But with the latest one, they started including those too!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Begemot posted:

No, every major revision of the look will be available as a replica from a vendor near Gerolt. They do this with every relic weapon, so you can have spares for glamour purposes. The only ones that aren't available sometimes are like the intermediate steps without glow/particle effects. But with the latest one, they started including those too!

Also because the proper relic weapons, since they have custom stats, cannot go into a glamour chest because that strips as much info as it can to save space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tortolia posted:

No, Gerolt's assistant or the nodes should sell "replica" versions for a small sum of gil. Those are your glam versions and can be placed inside the glamour dresser. You can also buy them whenever needed.

ARR relics are the exception here in that you have to complete the entire weapon to the end before replicas are available. Expansion relics have the replicas available as you go along.

Begemot posted:

That's a relief!