Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ikanreed posted:

Yeah space jump plus screw attack is like your "here you're done being challenged by regular problems, go collect things" signal.

There's an important dimension to metroidvania where you feel like an unstoppable badass by the end without resorting to pure number go up.

One of the things that does make Metroid stand out is that all or most of the upgrades make traversal easier in some fashion. Where in some other Metroidvania games an ability could just end up being a glorified key to access a new path or a few and never used again.

HenryEx posted:

I like the last section of ZM.
Puilling off a full stealth no-alert run is one of my proudest gaming achievements, and requires some insane crumble-block dodging, single-wall jumping and mid-air balling. It really pushes the engine and Samus' movement abilities to the limit.

edit: also it's proof that metroid can crawl

You also need frame perfect shots. Space Pirates can actually see in front and behind them. The only time they can't see anything is while turning around, which is how you avoid getting seen by the first Space Pirate. Even then the timing is really hard.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastajake posted:

People keep comparing Samus to Doomguy. Who is Doomguy?

The guy from the game Doom. The revamp from 2016 is what you need to go play so you, too, can rip and tear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZMg9ryeWOw

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mr. Nice! posted:

The guy from the game Doom. The revamp from 2016 is what you need to go play so you, too, can rip and tear:

And you play it's sequel when you need to rip & tear MORE: :blastu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3gx-jyEL3I

Also, it's no longer Doomguy. It's the Doom SLAYER! :black101:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Samus came first though. We should be comparing doom guy to her.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Samus came first though.

drat… doom guys pretty good

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I finished this last night and was left with an interesting feeling.

On the one hand, it's beautiful, it has great animations and fun-feeling combat, cool environments, and I even liked the puzzle-bossiness of the EMMIs. Hell, I liked the fights with the Chozo Warriors too, even if they were repeated. Super Metroid is a Top 10 Game of All Time for me and I think Metroid Dread is absolutely a worthy successor to that legacy. I think closing off paths behind you frequently was slightly annoying when I wanted to backtrack with a new toy, but over time I came to appreciate how it reduced a lot of pointless wandering when I was lost.

On the other hand, I think I've fallen out of love with metroidvanias. Right around getting the Storm Missiles, I was just like... "Alright, great, new poo poo, whatever, let's open the three doors I remember and just get on with it already." I got the Screw Attack and Power Bombs and just... never went back to collect the collectables they opened up. I had 175 missiles, an extra 50 just didn't feel worth the effort. By the end I was finishing it just to finish it.

Normally I would tell you I love metroidvanias, having loved everything from Ori and SOTN to Hollow Knight and Guacamelee. I don't know if it was the game's fault or just my own tastes changing, but I was just really not feeling it this time. I think there's just been so many iterations on "Start, can't reach anything, get your double jump, get your air dash, get your underwater thing, get your magic beam, now go back and find the trinkets" over the last 20 years that this didn't feel innovative enough (except for the EMMIs). Other people may feel like it has perfected the Metroid model, but for me the loop is a little stagnant.

Also, this hurt my hands to play, especially with the bullet spongey bosses. I'm old with kids, give me an easy mode dammit!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That Dang Dad posted:

Also, this hurt my hands to play, especially with the bullet spongey bosses. I'm old with kids, give me an easy mode dammit!

Those storm missiles that you dismissed as mere door openers would have at least mitigated that problem.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

TaurusOxford posted:

Those storm missiles that you dismissed as mere door openers would have at least mitigated that problem.

I fiiiinally figured out how to use them appropriately in combat during the Z-57 and Cross Bomb boss.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Samus should really let Adam start the ship himself, this is the second time it's almost killed her.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

Samus should really let Adam start the ship himself, this is the second time it's almost killed her.

He knows what he did

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

That Dang Dad posted:

I finished this last night and was left with an interesting feeling.

On the one hand, it's beautiful, it has great animations and fun-feeling combat, cool environments, and I even liked the puzzle-bossiness of the EMMIs. Hell, I liked the fights with the Chozo Warriors too, even if they were repeated. Super Metroid is a Top 10 Game of All Time for me and I think Metroid Dread is absolutely a worthy successor to that legacy. I think closing off paths behind you frequently was slightly annoying when I wanted to backtrack with a new toy, but over time I came to appreciate how it reduced a lot of pointless wandering when I was lost.

On the other hand, I think I've fallen out of love with metroidvanias. Right around getting the Storm Missiles, I was just like... "Alright, great, new poo poo, whatever, let's open the three doors I remember and just get on with it already." I got the Screw Attack and Power Bombs and just... never went back to collect the collectables they opened up. I had 175 missiles, an extra 50 just didn't feel worth the effort. By the end I was finishing it just to finish it.

Normally I would tell you I love metroidvanias, having loved everything from Ori and SOTN to Hollow Knight and Guacamelee. I don't know if it was the game's fault or just my own tastes changing, but I was just really not feeling it this time. I think there's just been so many iterations on "Start, can't reach anything, get your double jump, get your air dash, get your underwater thing, get your magic beam, now go back and find the trinkets" over the last 20 years that this didn't feel innovative enough (except for the EMMIs). Other people may feel like it has perfected the Metroid model, but for me the loop is a little stagnant.

I think the reason I connected with the Prime games much more than the mainline Metroid games was because it has those Metroidvania aspects, but all the different touches like the visor reflections, water collecting on it, the scan visor and the way it incrementally teaches you about what's going on in the different areas and what kinds of things live there and what the dangers are, it adds a really great illusion of being in that different place a lot better than the mainline games, for me. In the mainline games it's too easy for me to just parse the gameplay relevant parts of the environment and kind of ignore the backgrounds and what's going on in the world, which pulls me in a lot less. I totally agree that for me the core gameplay is pretty well trodden ground, even if it's executed well

gently caress I'm excited for Prime 4

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mastajake posted:

As other people have mentioned, its like the nickname for the unnamed space marine you play as in Doom.

Whats particularly relevant (IMO) is the way the characterize him in Doom (2016) - pretty much the whole game is in first person, and Doomguy never talks, but still ends up expressing in the ways he acts during short cutscene like sequences, and his animations in general.

Basically, in a similar fashion to how Samus gets characterization in Dread cutscenes without saying a word.

CainFortea posted:

Samus came first though. We should be comparing doom guy to her.
Yeah, but Doom came out in 1993 and Super Metroid wasn't until 1994.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

drat… doom guys pretty good
doomguy is an ace king and samus is the most powerful lesbian icon in the galaxy you can't change my mind

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

calling samus a bounty hunter always feels wrong since she isn't hunting bounties but really doing one-woman army mercenary contracts for the federation

like even in this game "the bounty" isn't "go arrest this guy and bring him to jail" its "go clean this up and recover our emmis"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

mastajake posted:

https://youtu.be/SfeUDj_53D0

e: beaten like a demon

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

C-SPAN Caller posted:

calling samus a bounty hunter always feels wrong since she isn't hunting bounties but really doing one-woman army mercenary contracts for the federation

like even in this game "the bounty" isn't "go arrest this guy and bring him to jail" its "go clean this up and recover our emmis"
She's not a bounty hunter she's a space hunter. She's not paid to capture, she's paid to kill.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You’re not gonna believe this, but he’s the guy from DOOM

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The United States posted:

She's not a bounty hunter she's a space hunter. She's not paid to capture, she's paid to kill.

and that makes way more sense, as she basically is hired to go kill stuff

wonder why it got changed/stuck as bounty hunter since we Metroid Prime: Hunters existed including that title

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Oxyclean posted:

Whats particularly relevant (IMO) is the way the characterize him in Doom (2016) - pretty much the whole game is in first person, and Doomguy never talks, but still ends up expressing in the ways he acts during short cutscene like sequences, and his animations in general.

The important bit isn't necessarily the way they're characterized but rather how they're characterized. Doom guy don't give a gently caress.

https://youtu.be/L6zUYxaflVE

https://youtu.be/-u1H0gltsbw

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Man I wanna replay prime again.

Switch rererererelease please

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

Start with Samus's ebay page open

lol Samus sells all her upgrades, only to find out she could really use them again.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If they're cool they'll use the developments from this game to completely reboot her ability set for the next one, so instead of finding an excuse for her to lose and re-acquire all the same old crap, she can instead gain an entirely new set of different and unfamiliar upgrades.

That would actually be really cool, but Samus kind of seems too overpowered after all the abilities she collects in Dread. I wonder how they’d step up the game to make it challenging. Interesting thought.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

C-SPAN Caller posted:

wonder why it got changed/stuck as bounty hunter since we Metroid Prime: Hunters existed including that title

Someone at Nintendo saw Empire Strikes Back and their takeaway was "bounty hunter = cool space guy"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's just a translation issue that came up. Sounds like "space hunter" was envisioned as something similar to a "big game hunter" who hunts the most dangerous creatures in the galaxy, but it got turned into "bounty hunter" through localization, probably because of everyone thinking of Boba Fett from Star Wars when you think "space" and "hunter".

Also the mercenary aspect was there from the start where Samus got paid more the faster she completed her mission, but I think Nintendo wanted to walk that back a bit and say that she is also motivated by a sense of justice and compassion, not just greed, as that is not a good look.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 19, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

Man I wanna replay prime again.

Switch rererererelease please
god, same

just today i was considering hooking up my old wii u so i could play them but then i googled it and remembered that the prime trilogy release requires wiimote+nunchuck controls and you can't play off-tv so i just lost interest..... how much i would love to be able to play prime on the switch, it's unbearable

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the 'actually bounty hunting' idea did suck pretty bad and I'm glad Nintendo didn't go with it. The appeal of Metroid games is in exploring their large, alien worlds, a mission based system hutning down scumbags for cash does seem to be missing the point entirely

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Nintendo needs to get that message out. All YouTubers that talk about Metroid proudly proclaim her as a bounty hunter, further spreading the misconception. I’m glad to see that interview screen shot, because her as a bounty hunter didn’t quite add up in my mind.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

The hand you used to pilot the ship.... is too burning red. To order a special driving wand please smash your palm against the helm... now

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Good Sphere posted:

Nintendo needs to get that message out. All YouTubers that talk about Metroid proudly proclaim her as a bounty hunter, further spreading the misconception. I’m glad to see that interview screen shot, because her as a bounty hunter didn’t quite add up in my mind.

I mean it'd be odd for them to try and push that message when in Other M (a game they still want to push as canon if Dread's reward screens are any indication), Samus calls herself a bounty hunter, and in the opening cutscene of Dread Adam remarks that "the bounty for this mission does not seem appropriate."

She still needs to eat at the end of the day, and she clearly doesn't want to be restrained by Federation restrictions. I'm sure there's enough bounties in the galaxy that she can choose the ones that fit her moral compass and still give her a good payday.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Samus is basically a Predator (except has a better record at it).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/deluxepeach/status/1072201946939998208

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Good Sphere posted:

TaurusOxford posted:

I mean it'd be odd for them to try and push that message when in Other M (a game they still want to push as canon if Dread's reward screens are any indication), Samus calls herself a bounty hunter, and in the opening cutscene of Dread Adam remarks that "the bounty for this mission does not seem appropriate."
Well part of the issue seems to be that "bounty hunter" isn't a completely inaccurate localization, she is doing mercenary missions and killing things for monetary rewards. The problem is the term starts breaking down if you imagine her being like Space Dog the Bounty Hunter, running down galactic bail jumpers and dropping space racist slurs.

TaurusOxford posted:

She still needs to eat at the end of the day, and she clearly doesn't want to be restrained by Federation restrictions. I'm sure there's enough bounties in the galaxy that she can choose the ones that fit her moral compass and still give her a good payday.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Samus is basically a Predator (except has a better record at it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUXIq98aqTc&t=6s

Solid Snake: part Japanese
Samus Aran: part giant bird alien

Yeah she should be taller

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 19, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nice try:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, but Doom came out in 1993 and Super Metroid wasn't until 1994.

Okay, but Metroid was in 1986.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, finally beat the last boss after 2 attempts. Though I think I glitched his first form.

For some reason, in my second attempt, it only took a couple of missiles to make him go golden and just one counter animation/missile spam to take him into phase 2.

I had pretty much full health because of that which helped me get through to phase 3.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

TaurusOxford posted:

The United States posted:

Well part of the issue seems to be that "bounty hunter" isn't a completely inaccurate localization, she is doing mercenary missions and killing things for monetary rewards. The problem is the term starts breaking down if you imagine her being like Space Dog the Bounty Hunter, running down galactic bail jumpers and dropping space racist slurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUXIq98aqTc&t=6s

Solid Snake: part Japanese
Samus Aran: part giant bird alien

Yeah she should be taller

Oh. Well I stand corrected. I guess Samus IS a bounty hunter (kind of).

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

lol I want my money back! I was just about to beat it (I think) during the escape sequence when you blast away the huge door.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Ah, you did the thing.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

It did it again. What the hell. What do I do.

Edit: I called Nintendo, and they told me it is caused by placing a marker on said object I mentioned in a spoiler. An update should be coming out this month. I guess I can remove the marker and try again, but I’m exhausted. So maybe later tonight.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 20, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Good Sphere posted:

lol I want my money back! I was just about to beat it (I think) during the escape sequence when you blast away the huge door.

I had that happen around four hours in because my sd card died. Thankfully, even if the game file is downloaded to the sd your save data is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Good Sphere posted:

It did it again. What the hell. What do I do.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1448816874423308288?t=ly6KNrP1IQalCUQcjgvX5g&s=19