Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Robobot posted:

You guys are thinking too hard about it. They just would have kept having games until there was one person left. They didn’t plan on having three people at the end of the glass bridge, but because they did they went to the dinner/knife thing. If five people had made it they probably would have done another 50% make it or not game.

For all the bullshit they put the contestants through, the game runners are rather finnicky about sticking to the rules. There are explicitly only 6 official games, and the squid game is very much a team based game. If more than 2 people had made it to the end, they would simply have divided into two teams, winner(s) take all.

Now, whether or not they would have all made it through steak night is another question, but there's nothing in the rules to preclude a team victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
yeah i don't really see any reason why they couldn't have multiple winners. It doesn't seem particularly important to the contest itself, and its not like a two-person victory is that much less entertaining than a one-person victory.

In fact, it seems like the main reason why Sang-woo kills Sae-byeok when he has the chance to is because, if the final game is one played on two teams, he can tell that it's going to be her and Gi-hun vs. him, not any other arrangement. From his perspective, he needs to even the numbers to have any chance of victory.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, even if it’s a final team game, there’s nothing to dissuade the winning team members from going after each other to take it all. Could be one reason why the knives are provided, makes that process easier.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I thought the earlier episodes were much better than the last 2/3 or so (though I was fine with the ending). I hated every scene with the VIPs, not because they were scummy rich guys, but because they were all terribly written and acted, and all their dialogue was extremely on-the-nose. I'd much rather they didn't talk and leave some mystery, and instead they went full mustache-twirling in the other direction.

I was also bothered by, as many have mentioned, the supposed fairness and equality considering they added a bunch of bullshit like the exploding glass after the 5th game, and shorting the food to cause a riot. They also kill people for breaking arbitrary "rules" outside of the 3 clauses that nobody agreed on. Either have the rules be airtight and squeaky clean so nobody can make a logical protest, or have zero illusions about being fair and square and just make a rigged game for cartoonishly evil shithead billionaires, but you can't do both.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I actually liked the way the games were 'fair' but clearly not fair; it was pretty clearly part of the commentary. Those in power want to have rules and maintain the appearance of fairness, because it keeps the lower classes ie the contestants in line and also helps them sleep at night, but when the chips are down they're not actually bound by their own rules. If any contestant could even say 'hey, this is bullshit, you can't just turn the lights off for no reason, you're making the game unfair' the game runners (if they even bothered to listen) would find a way to justify it as 'fair' eg by claiming that they never made any promise not to adjust the lighting dynamically, so there's no issue. The point is that the system chooses to appear fair when it can, but will never rule against its own interests.

As an example of this, the Frontman clearly believes his own bullshit to some degree - he's convinced himself the games are in fact fair. His whole speech about how the guards making a deal with the doctor was violating the integrity of their mission seems honest (in the sense that he believes it). He maintains his belief that the system is fair even when it comes to others with some degree of power, just less power than he has: he murders one of his managers in cold blood for letting their face be seen by an outsider. But when it comes to his own interests, he voluntarily lets his brother the cop see his own face and doesn't seem to notice or care about the hypocrisy.

in conclusion, while the game is obviously rigged, but people stuck in the game have no choice but to try and work within its biased rules in the hope that they'll succeed even so, and the people rigging the game are both advantaged by maintaining a fig leaf of fairness and, because they don't have to play the game, are able to buy into the illusion that the game isn't rigged.

It's not exactly a hidden metaphor for capitalism.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I was also bothered by, as many have mentioned, the supposed fairness and equality considering they added a bunch of bullshit like the exploding glass after the 5th game, and shorting the food to cause a riot. They also kill people for breaking arbitrary "rules" outside of the 3 clauses that nobody agreed on. Either have the rules be airtight and squeaky clean so nobody can make a logical protest, or have zero illusions about being fair and square and just make a rigged game for cartoonishly evil shithead billionaires, but you can't do both.
the show was intentionally designed to make you bothered about this

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
No reason they couldn't have the first person to make it "home" on the Squid Game win and then shoot everybody else. It would be perfectly in keeping with the broader MO.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I liked the acting and dialogue of the VIPs. I don't get all the hate for it. They're not supposed to be sympathetic figures, smart, cunning, clever, mysterious, or anything other than just rich as hell and bored. I think they sold it well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

sticklefifer posted:

That's literally the point though. Your entire life you're told that the rules are airtight, squeaky clean, and most importantly - fair. But the reality is that the rules aren't fair, get changed on the fly, they don't apply to certain people, and arbitrary bullshit can be the difference between life and death.

I'm not as familiar with the situation in South Korea, but it's pretty hard to argue that American society isn't a rigged game for cartoonishly evil shithead billionaires.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

YoursTruly posted:

I liked the acting and dialogue of the VIPs. I don't get all the hate for it. They're not supposed to be sympathetic figures, smart, cunning, clever, mysterious, or anything other than just rich as hell and bored. I think they sold it well.

Other than the fact that they sounded dubbed, even though they weren't, I agree.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_dialogue_replacement

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

YoursTruly posted:

it's perfectly possible for good actors to pull off unlikeable idiot rear end in a top hat characters and/or awkward rich buffoons. succession does this quite well

the VIPs were not that. they were whatever white dudes the production team could find for a k-drama doing bad line reads

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

sticklefifer posted:

they added a bunch of bullshit like the exploding glass after the 5th game.

The glass exploding was so that anyone still standing on the bridge when the time ran out would fall. If we go by other game's procedure, people who succesfully complete a game are taken out of the room where the game is played, so I'd say one of them getting injured by the exploding glass was an unintentional accident as consequence of them finishing at the literal last second. Granted, they could have treated her afterwards but they probably justified that it was a "fair" outcome considering all 3 remaining players were in the room when the glass exploded so they all had equal chances of getting skewered.

Also, what everyone else already said about the intended commentary about fair not being fair.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

lezard_valeth posted:

The glass exploding was so that anyone still standing on the bridge when the time ran out would fall. If we go by other game's procedure, people who succesfully complete a game are taken out of the room where the game is played, so I'd say one of them getting injured by the exploding glass was an unintentional accident as consequence of them finishing at the literal last second. Granted, they could have treated her afterwards but they probably justified that it was a "fair" outcome considering all 3 remaining players were in the room when the glass exploded so they all had equal chances of getting skewered.

just have the bars of the platforms hanging by hooks and release them so they fall. No deadly explosions of glass needed. The explosion was clearly meant for spectacle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

no hay camino posted:

just have the bars of the platforms hanging by hooks and release them so they fall. No deadly explosions of glass needed. The explosion was clearly meant for spectacle.

That’s the thing… spectacle is the point. This is a show to entertain rich assholes

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
If no one wins the game, you get to double the budget for next year's game.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

it's perfectly possible for good actors to pull off unlikeable idiot rear end in a top hat characters and/or awkward rich buffoons. succession does this quite well

the VIPs were not that. they were whatever white dudes the production team could find for a k-drama doing bad line reads

White actors in every K drama are always terrible. Run On was a decent k-drama (for a romance one) and the main character was a translator/interpreter meaning white people were in parts of it and all of the line reads were absolutely awful. It's just a trope of k-dramas at this point that western actors speaking english will almost always have terrible line reads.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

a computing pun posted:

I actually liked the way the games were 'fair' but clearly not fair; it was pretty clearly part of the commentary. Those in power want to have rules and maintain the appearance of fairness, because it keeps the lower classes ie the contestants in line and also helps them sleep at night, but when the chips are down they're not actually bound by their own rules. If any contestant could even say 'hey, this is bullshit, you can't just turn the lights off for no reason, you're making the game unfair' the game runners (if they even bothered to listen) would find a way to justify it as 'fair' eg by claiming that they never made any promise not to adjust the lighting dynamically, so there's no issue. The point is that the system chooses to appear fair when it can, but will never rule against its own interests.

As an example of this, the Frontman clearly believes his own bullshit to some degree - he's convinced himself the games are in fact fair. His whole speech about how the guards making a deal with the doctor was violating the integrity of their mission seems honest (in the sense that he believes it). He maintains his belief that the system is fair even when it comes to others with some degree of power, just less power than he has: he murders one of his managers in cold blood for letting their face be seen by an outsider. But when it comes to his own interests, he voluntarily lets his brother the cop see his own face and doesn't seem to notice or care about the hypocrisy.

in conclusion, while the game is obviously rigged, but people stuck in the game have no choice but to try and work within its biased rules in the hope that they'll succeed even so, and the people rigging the game are both advantaged by maintaining a fig leaf of fairness and, because they don't have to play the game, are able to buy into the illusion that the game isn't rigged.

It's not exactly a hidden metaphor for capitalism.

I think the 'fair' part isn't meant for the game masters. The lights were shut off because the glass maker's experience was an unfair advantage to other players. Their surprise in missing his employment history indicates they try to make sure no contestant has an edge over any other player. Obviously #1 violates that, but #1 was never going to go past the 4th round.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There's also the element that the game master could be to an extent a "true believer" in the ideology of the game since he used to be a participant and he's the type of person who donated a kidney, versus the financiers who just think it's a whole lot of fun to watch. That would actually make more sense as far a social commentary goes. The mega rich tend to have a cynical view of loyalty to their own people or country and are on the first flight out when they gently caress thing up, the enforcers in the middle are often true believers. I got the sense that he was slightly bothered that the sponsors of the game don't "get" it but you can read anything into a dr doom mask.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

dr doom mask.

Yooooo, my first thought when I saw it.

Anyway, I didn't mind the detective side story. If anything, it was the first time that we saw that the organizers of the games weren't perfect. There were blind spots in the system that maybe could be exploited.

Though, out of all the things that could have bugged me, it was the detective's astonishingly long battery life on his phone that I couldn't shake.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you can do a lot of things to preserve battery life like turn off the phone

Confusion
Apr 3, 2009
Interesting article about the VIPs:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/19/they-didnt-just-pick-us-up-off-the-street-meet-the-globally-derided-squid-game-vips

I think this part it most telling:

quote:

“It’s different for every show, but non-Korean performers often act with dialogue that is translated by a non-native – sometimes even by Google Translate – so it can sound unnatural,” he says. While actors do have the freedom to fix clunky dialogue, it often happens at the last minute, and comes with plenty of restrictions. “And often we don’t have the scripts for the rest of the show,” he adds. “We are only given our scenes, so we have no idea of the tone.”

Kennedy says this problem was exacerbated on Squid Game. Not only were the VIPs handed their scenes without context – which meant they had to invent their own backstories for their characters, which they described to me as “total idiots” and “dirtbag millionaires” – but “We were all wearing very heavy plaster masks, and sitting on couches that were at least 20-30ft away from the closest VIP. We all had to yell our lines vaguely into the air, which added to the weird tonality of the delivery.”

Seems to be like the creator/director just wasn't all the interested or invested in their performances, which I guess makes sense if you only have a Korean audience in mind.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

comedyblissoption posted:

you can do a lot of things to preserve battery life like turn off the phone

Yeah, this is so blindingly obvious I have to question why this is still brought up by people. Do people own phones that somehow lose tons of power when turning off and on? Huh? Why is this confusing?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sometimes phone batteries just start sucking poo poo. My current one can go for days without charging if I'm not doing much but I've encountered so many old or lovely phones that will die in like 6 hours from doing nothing.

It's definitely a dumb thing to think about in a show like this though.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Confusion posted:

Seems to be like the creator/director just wasn't all the interested or invested in their performances, which I guess makes sense if you only have a Korean audience in mind.
no no, you’re just naive if you didn’t believe that’s how they would be irl - this thread

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I feel like that was part of the tension. He turned his phone on just to take notes or when he might have to record poo poo. His battery was less and less each episode.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Some people had questions if the players knew there would be only one winner. There was big hint dropped in the start of the 2nd episode. They were told the prize money would increase per dead player and at the end the prize money would be 4.56 billion. you can only have that amount if there is only one player left.

No one seemed to get the hint but it was there.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Shwqa posted:

Some people had questions if the players knew there would be only one winner. There was big hint dropped in the start of the 2nd episode. They were told the prize money would increase per dead player and at the end the prize money would be 4.56 billion. you can only have that amount if there is only one player left.

Isn't that the same way they promote lottery winnings, regardless of how many split the prize?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Teek posted:

Isn't that the same way they promote lottery winnings, regardless of how many split the prize?

But the pool could only reach that number if 455 people had died, is the implication above I believe.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Teek posted:

Yeah, this is so blindingly obvious I have to question why this is still brought up by people. Do people own phones that somehow lose tons of power when turning off and on? Huh? Why is this confusing?

People just leave their Wi-Fi on and the networks are all cheap shits so they check for a Wi-Fi connection constantly to get you off their 5G network, even when there's not one around....

Some folks are just unable to do the basic poo poo to get their phone battery to last a while. Like just turn off Wi-Fi and Location and you probably got 24+ hours on your phone battery :lol:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jackpot posted:

The English dubbing is so bad my wife and I almost gave up on the show 30 minutes in. Just awful, distracting. Had to turn dubbing off and subtitles on to save it, I can't imagine why that's not the default.
It's this simple, I reckon:

The kind of person who would prefer subtitles is the kind of person who'd look for the option for them, whereas the kind of person who's put off by subtitles would see them, close the window, and never return.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Teek posted:

A lottery is a preset amount of money each time. They announce the prize pool and then people pay tickets to win it. Subsequent prize pool are affect by the previous one but the current one is not increased based on the amount of players in the current pool.

This prize pool increases based off of the amount of people in the game who die. There is only one way they can say the exact amount of money the winner will get. They planned on only one winner.

We are talking about the same people that think say eliminated instead of dying is clever. And drop a hint for the bridge game. Or drew the future games on the walls of the dorm room.The game masters love to heavily hint at things.

Edit: They probably would have said you can win up to 4.56 billion if they wanted multiple winners. But they have a history of double speak to imply hints so I'm still of the impression they were trying to hint only 1 winner.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 19, 2021

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I 100% thought that the prize money was just the grand total of all the players debts and the debts of the dead players gets added to the winnings.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

duck trucker posted:

I 100% thought that the prize money was just the grand total of all the players debts and the debts of the dead players gets added to the winnings.

That would be such a cool concept.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A friend of mine worked in post production at Disney and they didn’t allow any WiFi devices. He forgot and turned on his personal laptop and a couple minutes later a security guard was in his room sniffing around to see if there was an unauthorized device

If you’re invading a top secret rich people death game compound you should probably turn your phone off, because if they have decent security they will detect an unauthorized Wi-Fi device

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Shwqa posted:

I could be wrong but I think they phrased it along the lines of "the total possible prize is 4.56 billion." Implying that it might not get that high.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah a phone or wireless enabled device without everything turned off is screaming into the void constantly. One of the easy ways to increase battery life is turn those broadcasts off, which a good detective would know.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I could be wrong but I think they phrased it along the lines of "the total possible prize is 4.56 billion." Implying that it might not get that high.
I just learned that if you screenshot Netflix it blacks the screen out but leaves the subtitles. I went to take a screenshot of the scene in question. Here is what they say when a player ask how much they will win if they beat all 6 games.

I took that as there will be only 1 winner but obviously it could be taken a different way.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It being made kinda clear but with just enough room for wishful thinking was perfect given the metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they say that if the contest ended early the proceeds up to that point would go to the dead contestants' families? If every player died the 46 billion won would be split up 456 ways. My admittedly poor math skills say the family of every contestant would get about 100,000,000 won or $80k USD.

Which I guess means, on average each player owes $100k with Sang-woo out performing the average because he's such an over achiever.