Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Over here everyone still insists on WhatsApp. A very few switched to Telegram. Try to mention something like Signal, or I don't know, Riot, and you'll be looked at as if you just ranted about the moon being made of cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

However, the CIA didn't write the software and the whole point of the government's interest in this kind of thing is to enable activists in other countries to communicate effectively to try and bring about regime change in those countries (they also pumped funding into Tor and email encryption).

I'm skeptical about this argument, I think the CIA/NSA would much rather have Iranian activists discovered and executed and then fund new software with an undiscovered backdoor than have communications that they can't monitor, but I think it's a moot point. Mossad vs Not Mossad, assume that if the government wants your communications badly enough they will get them. I can't think of any illegal plans i have off the top of my head but if I had them I wouldn't be putting them in writing regardless of encryption.

I do like Signal well enough, I wish I could pair it with multiple computers but I get why that's not a thing I guess. I use it for communicating complicated technical ideas with a friend of mine so we don't have to type long messages with our thumbs on our iPhones.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

cage-free egghead posted:

Signal owns, been pushing it hard in the last year. Converted most of my group texts to it instead which is great because now can share gifs and do easy voice chat

Also, on Android it can be set to the default text app so you can handle both people on Signal and those still using texts in the same app. And then send them an invite to Signal. Sadly due to Apple's controls it can't do that on iPhone but oh well.

And the desktop app is pretty good - I use it more than the mobile app since I'm mostly at my desk, and it's gotten real good at mirroring messages with no delay (i.e. you send a message from mobile and it shows up instantly in the conversation on the desktop and vice versa, so there's no delay switching).

edit:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I do like Signal well enough, I wish I could pair it with multiple computers but I get why that's not a thing I guess.

:confused:

But...you can link your phone with multiple computers? I have three linked right now. My only complaint is you can't link other mobile devices, so I can't link my tablet as well because to Signal it's a new root device.

edit2:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think the CIA/NSA would much rather have Iranian activists discovered and executed and then fund new software with an undiscovered backdoor than have communications that they can't monitor
I defend very few things in the IT space, because almost everything is poo poo one way or another, but I really don't think you can fault Signal for how it does things. Both the client and more importantly the protocol are open-source and have passed various audits, it's run by a nonprofit that has said it's determined to maintain independence, openness, and security, and if the CIA can in fact put backdoors in open-source code without anyone noticing, then they're some real fuckin geniuses. People have complained the server code is not often updated on Github, but I don't know how that necessarily matters if the messages getting to the server are already encrypted. https://softwaremill.com/what-ive-learned-from-signal-server-source-code/

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to instantly conclude the CIA/NSA will do the worst thing whenever they have the option, but again the funding Signal got was not directly from the CIA, it was from a different albeit related arm of the government whose immediate mandate is to spread Internet freedom. My point is that it's easy to gloss over that and go "it's just the CIA hiding behind this other org!" but while the aims of the BBG are certainly linked to what the CIA wants, the way they're going about it is very different from gathering SIGINT. If you want to communicate absolutely securely then sure, launch yourself and your conversation partner to the dark side of the moon in a soundproof container (or really just a laserproof container since the vacuum of space will do the soundproofing for you), but for today, if you want a reasonable guarantee of security, I think Signal's the best choice.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 19, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

WTF? When I paired my desktop it desynced my laptop. I'll need to dig into it more, I asked my friend about it and he said that's how it worked.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

22 Eargesplitten posted:

WTF? When I paired my desktop it desynced my laptop. I'll need to dig into it more, I asked my friend about it and he said that's how it worked.

Maybe this was a while ago? You should just be able to go into Linked Devices in the settings on the phone, click Add, scan the QR code on the desktop app, and then confirm adding (and type in a device name on the desktop app you just linked). It'll then pull across your contacts & groups, though not previous conversations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Maybe this was a while ago? You should just be able to go into Linked Devices in the settings on the phone, click Add, scan the QR code on the desktop app, and then confirm adding (and type in a device name on the desktop app you just linked). It'll then pull across your contacts & groups, though not previous conversations.

I frequently have signal desync linked devices randomly, especially in large groups, where nobody starts to get messages, everyone fails to get messages, or everyone gets spammed with some cryptography/timing error

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I used to be mostly whatsapp but after moving from android to iphone (and losing a decade of chat history), I now use telegram for non-technical chats and signal or keybase for technical minded ones. Signal is still too barebone in features compared to the average consumer chat app.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Also, on Android it can be set to the default text app so you can handle both people on Signal and those still using texts in the same app. And then send them an invite to Signal. Sadly due to Apple's controls it can't do that on iPhone but oh well.

Warning there's a really huge trap in this, I ran into it with multiple people.

If you set up signal as your default text app, and so do people on your contact list that you previously SMSd, then after some time passes you might find some of them get new phones / uninstall signal and don't unregister it.

You then come along to message them and hit the send button, and the message will go into the void. You have to realise that they don't have signal any more and decide to send SMS directly.

This was particularly bad for the case where, for example, a group asks everyone to install signal, but a lot of the people are nontechnical and not using signal outside that - they absolutely won't unregister it and bang, lost messages with no indication.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That was quite a common thing with iMessage at one point as well, had a couple of people move to Android and messages would fall into a void until they deregistered

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Apparently our Helpdesk is not allowed to use Powershell.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xiw posted:

Warning there's a really huge trap in this, I ran into it with multiple people.

Thanks Ants posted:

That was quite a common thing with iMessage at one point as well, had a couple of people move to Android and messages would fall into a void until they deregistered
This and the linking computers thing are why I don't like Signal or any of the other services that attach to a phone number.

I'm not going to say don't use it, it does seem to be the best "Secure Messenger" app that's widely used, but ffs phone numbers are not good identifiers and I wish there was a better answer that normal people could accept.

Being able to "seamlessly" integrate with SMS is easier in the short run but bad in the long run.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Isn't the reason why it asks for a phone number is so people who have you in their contact lists get notified that they're on Signal?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cage-free egghead posted:

Isn't the reason why it asks for a phone number is so people who have you in their contact lists get notified that they're on Signal?
Any service could do that, all of the major social media apps have been doing it for pretty much their entire existence, yet they do not actually require a phone number to operate.

Signal uses the phone number as a primary identifier, unless they've changed something recently you can not have an account without a phone nor can you communicate with someone without giving them your number. I'd prefer a username-based system where attaching a phone number is entirely optional.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Apparently our Helpdesk is not allowed to use Powershell.

Update: command line is "discouraged" and they are not allowed to use regedit.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Update: command line is "discouraged" and they are not allowed to use regedit.

:lol: Is this a security policy?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No, it's their own drat department. Absolutely amazing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Our level 1 helpdesk isn't allow to do command-line stuff unless it's specified in a process document/kb article. They also aren't allowed to touch regedit at all.

We reluctantly put that policy into place some years back because they kept royally loving things up. Cost us a lot of time and money.

Level 2 has very few restrictions and L3 has none at all.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

ConfusedUs posted:

Our level 1 helpdesk isn't allow to do command-line stuff unless it's specified in a process document/kb article. They also aren't allowed to touch regedit at all.

We reluctantly put that policy into place some years back because they kept royally loving things up. Cost us a lot of time and money.

Level 2 has very few restrictions and L3 has none at all.

Came here to post this. Our level 1 desk management bitched constantly about getting rights, and once they got them promptly burned a server to the ground. This isn't an uncommon arrangement.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, this isn't just level 1 folks, it's their whole department. And they don't touch servers, just end user devices.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't imagine telling anyone they can't use ping, gpresult, systeminfo, or a million other commands.

If your Helpdesk folks have access to do a ton of damage, pair down their access properly instead of asking them nicely not to use the right tool for their job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had a "nmap is a HACKER TOOL and thus forbidden" policy a long time ago. Everyone ignored it because it turns out it's a useful tool and the policy got quietly deleted at some point.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We aren't allowed to run unsigned scripts within the powershell gui, even though they are scripts we have written.

However, if you open up a powershell command prompt and paste the script there, it works just fine lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I rushed to make rounding this morning, only to find out it was for the hospital I don't work at.

Like, the calendar is correct (Not that it can be read on a phone), but what is the value add in having me wandering around a hospital I don't work at anymore? Hi, thanks for your feedback, I'll never see you again.

The hospital I actually work at is short staffed and a team member is on light duty due to injury. What the gently caress are you guys thinking starting this up again and having people go back and forth?

And then later on I'll get emails talmbout "Your tickets are late and also people are escalating". Yeah no poo poo, and that wouldn't get better by having me wander around poking at WOWs at a hospital I'm not assigned to and having to drive back, that's almost half a whole work day.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I can't imagine telling anyone they can't use ping, gpresult, systeminfo, or a million other commands.

If your Helpdesk folks have access to do a ton of damage, pair down their access properly instead of asking them nicely not to use the right tool for their job.

We deal with customer systems a lot, that have their own access schemas. Since we can't make the customers set up proper access, we had to restrict what L1 can do.

Certain commands are kosher. Most are not.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I rushed to make rounding this morning, only to find out it was for the hospital I don't work at.

Like, the calendar is correct (Not that it can be read on a phone), but what is the value add in having me wandering around a hospital I don't work at anymore? Hi, thanks for your feedback, I'll never see you again.

The hospital I actually work at is short staffed and a team member is on light duty due to injury. What the gently caress are you guys thinking starting this up again and having people go back and forth?

And then later on I'll get emails talmbout "Your tickets are late and also people are escalating". Yeah no poo poo, and that wouldn't get better by having me wander around poking at WOWs at a hospital I'm not assigned to and having to drive back, that's almost half a whole work day.

Sup fellow WOW fixer. Do your nurses also play destruction derby with them in the hallways? Because that's the only way I can imagine some of these are broken the way they are.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

mattfl posted:

Sup fellow WOW fixer. Do your nurses also play destruction derby with them in the hallways? Because that's the only way I can imagine some of these are broken the way they are.

At my current one, luckily they don't.

At my old one hoo boy. Carts would just end up with 3 wheels ready to topple over, how the gently caress did you guys do that? USB ports destroyed because people kept plugging in their phones and ramming into walls, and they were stupidly exposed so people could do that. Drawers for meds that would just be a trash bin, one time I found someone's bowl of Raisin Bran in there, thankfully with no milk. Plus all the random medical trash that will fall inside them, including vials of meds. There's also the fun game of "What's that stain?", could be coffee, could be blood, could be something even worse :v:.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

skooma512 posted:

At my current one, luckily they don't.

At my old one hoo boy. Carts would just end up with 3 wheels ready to topple over, how the gently caress did you guys do that? USB ports destroyed because people kept plugging in their phones and ramming into walls, and they were stupidly exposed so people could do that. Drawers for meds that would just be a trash bin, one time I found someone's bowl of Raisin Bran in there, thankfully with no milk. Plus all the random medical trash that will fall inside them, including vials of meds. There's also the fun game of "What's that stain?", could be coffee, could be blood, could be something even worse :v:.

Yup, sounds about right. Do you guys go through a lot of cisco wireless phones? I think our nurses use them as hockey pucks.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I will never understand how I go through the amount of phones that I do. It's a total mystery.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

phone calls suck and the easiest way to avoid getting a phone call is to break your phone. :smuggo:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have some log-forwarding software that spiked to 100% and basically locked a server up.

MSP: Add more CPU's to the VM

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Bob Morales posted:

We have some log-forwarding software that spiked to 100% and basically locked a server up.

Me: "Adding more CPUs doesn't solve poor software."
MSP: "It always does for me :smug:"

Aaaaaaand the contract review is up in 3, 2, 1...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also known as every conversation with every DBA ever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FW: Google Releases Security Updates for Chrome

FW: Adobe Releases Security Updates for Multiple Products

FW: Microsoft Releases October 2021 Security Updates

FW: CISA, FBI, and NSA Release Joint Cybersecurity Advisory on Blackmatter Ransomware

FW: [Webinar] Join us for "Building a cybersecurity program on a budget" webinar

FW: Cisco Releases Security Updates for IOS XE SD-WAN Software

(we don't even have any ASR/ISR routers but hey, it's an advisory!)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Will someone not rid of me of this turbulent production bearing single source of truth ES 1.5 cluster?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Can’t figure if this is pissing me off it not:

Customer has really hosed up their architecture, such that their myriad VPCs in myriad accounts are so bolluxed with overlapping IP spaces and subnets encompassing 10,000 IP addresses for two EC2 instances that peering VPCs is next to impossible.

They’ve never admitted that this was a problem.

But today they’ve asked me to confirm IPv6 support for all of their services, apparently so they can move to a new v6-based scheme and unfuck their broken design. So I get to do the heavy lifting for them, but I get to advise on their architecture and talk best practices.

All without them admitting there was a problem.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I get to explain to my customer tomorrow that I billed them an extra $250 because their senior enterprise data engineer who is always questioning my recommendations couldn't figure out what was causing the "Invalid JSON" error in the 5 line example I sent him earlier and it couldn't possibly wait for normal business hours.

A single comma was in the wrong spot

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

mattfl posted:

Yup, sounds about right. Do you guys go through a lot of cisco wireless phones? I think our nurses use them as hockey pucks.

Thankfully IT wasn't responsible for telecom hardware at either hospital I've worked at.

New place now has iphones with vocera. Buckle up it's gonna get expensive.

Bob Morales posted:

Our Citrix servers serving the EMR would constantly get overloaded and refuse connections or kick people off.

Our solution? Just dump everyone and reset the server. The guy assigned to citrix on the server team did that like a couple times a week. No root cause analysis, no remediation. He probably wouldn't even have known how to fix it because I think he just learned on the fly from Google. Our VMs would also go Agent Unreachable, all the loving time, to doctors. Solution? Just reset them, manually from the very laggy console. Nobody even bothered to try and make it detect when this happens to either reboot, or even just warn, because it's easier to just piss the doctor off and let Desktop worry about it, even at 2am on a Saturday. The guy who built that system now works for VMware itself, because he's very competent and did such a good job, even though it was broken from go-live to bankruptcy 7 years later.

Oh and my lead was denied a promotion to the network team, because he didn't have the skill to "play with the big boys" :smug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Iron Rose posted:

Will someone not rid of me of this turbulent production bearing single source of truth ES 1.5 cluster?

Sounds like a job for Mr Rubber Mallet.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Thankfully IT wasn't responsible for telecom hardware at either hospital I've worked at.

New place now has iphones with vocera. Buckle up it's gonna get expensive.

Our Citrix servers serving the EMR would constantly get overloaded and refuse connections or kick people off.

Our solution? Just dump everyone and reset the server. The guy assigned to citrix on the server team did that like a couple times a week. No root cause analysis, no remediation. He probably wouldn't even have known how to fix it because I think he just learned on the fly from Google. Our VMs would also go Agent Unreachable, all the loving time, to doctors. Solution? Just reset them, manually from the very laggy console. Nobody even bothered to try and make it detect when this happens to either reboot, or even just warn, because it's easier to just piss the doctor off and let Desktop worry about it, even at 2am on a Saturday. The guy who built that system now works for VMware itself, because he's very competent and did such a good job, even though it was broken from go-live to bankruptcy 7 years later.

Oh and my lead was denied a promotion to the network team, because he didn't have the skill to "play with the big boys" :smug:

Wow lucky you. Hospital IT here is responsible for anything that touches our network.

Also, we are moving from Cerner to Epic and with Epic comes iPhones with their iOS app and oh ya we're installing Jabber on all of them and getting rid of the cisco wireless phones....

*stares at stack of 300+ iPhones I need to configure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

Wow lucky you. Hospital IT here is responsible for anything that touches our network.

Also, we are moving from Cerner to Epic and with Epic comes iPhones with their iOS app and oh ya we're installing Jabber on all of them and getting rid of the cisco wireless phones....

*stares at stack of 300+ iPhones I need to configure

Whatever phones my local hospital uses, they have voice-activated dialing, it's hilarious watching someone try to use voice dialing with most of the doctors names.