Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hexigrammus posted:

Drought in the Canadian Prairies has hit the barley crop, which is going to impact beer brewing. We're hosed, everyone panic.

Local onion crop has been good though. I was going to simplify my life by adopting the ancient Sumerian commoner's diet of onions, beer, and wild rear end. Unfortunately this barley shortage is going to screw that up.

Also a lack of wild rear end.

Tinder should still have a pretty good supply of wild rear end for years to come, but I'm sure that will dry up eventually too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if they're going to just straight up murk him. Seems like there's a lot of ways to make that happen in that setting. At this point it no longer feels like a question of being too brazen, just if they think it would be more useful if he was made an example of.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

why don't you just not post in the other thread :confused:

Why do moths fly into fire

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

why don't you just not post in the other thread :confused:

no listen man, I'm making a difference

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i think a bit of outreach is nice. helping them face reality and move to acceptance and all that. acceptance has helped me both personally and professionally :shobon:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Lol. I still can't believe that the planners only expected to make the aquifers last 40 years from the start.

why make it last longer? I, the planner, am going to be dead in 40 years so why the hell make anything last a second longer?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
sometimes i read the extremely long winded posts in the other thread and then lol lmao at people saying the dome video was too long because at least the dome video was funny sometimes

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

coke posted:

also let me check the ipcc estimate from few months back

phew even at the worst estimate we still have a few more decades till there's enough co2 to kill all shellfish in the sea

wait

ok we got nothing to worry about till at least 2070 or so before the ph gets that low

lol that the co2 ppm seem to affect the ph even more in puget sound even at corresponding concentration, but im sure it will be fine though and we wont reach that level of devastating ph level in the ocean world wide till 2070

lmfao that this thread fell for a junk paper that was a stealth ad for some grifters published by predatory governments that accepts anything to legitimize their power

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2021/04/climate-change-has-cost-7-years-ag-productivity-growth

quote:

Despite important agricultural advancements to feed the world in the last 60 years, a Cornell-led study shows that global farming productivity is 21% lower than it could have been without climate change

Lol

kater
Nov 16, 2010

but how much lower is it because of climate change prevention policies?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if they're going to just straight up murk him. Seems like there's a lot of ways to make that happen in that setting. At this point it no longer feels like a question of being too brazen, just if they think it would be more useful if he was made an example of.

But...I don't understand, Chevron has all those "we're the good guys now and are ~totally~ going to compromise our profits to save the planet" ads playing on television now! :smith:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

it’s really cool to witness an openly bought judge act as the attack dog for her big oil masters

but yes vote and all that

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Wait, do I vote for the judge or for Chevron??

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Minenfeld! posted:

Wait, do I vote for the judge or for Chevron??

Correct

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
vote with your dollars. i'm sure the other oil companies are much more ethical. the market fixes all sins.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Car Hater posted:

*shrug*

Idk, I absorbed both threads long long ago and I know full well that I am in fact a coward for not martyring myself. They're not wrong there, they just want to be able to smugly point and laugh at the sad monk committing self-immolation, and don't believe that the flames will reach them.

being a martyr seems weird, it’s like you have to be fundamentally trusting that the people left behind will care or change or anything and that seems quite preposterous. seems more constructive to vote.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*shrug*

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

blatman posted:

can u make onion beer

Onion wine, but the recipe needs potatoes and raisins.

Add it to the list of horrible things documented in this thread.

Serious poo poo, but just :lol: at the oyster farmers :qq:

Pacific oysters are an alien invasive species from Japan. In the early 1980s big oyster farms in Washington state were using a helicopter to spray mudflats with the pesticide Sevin. The idea was to kill all the burrowing invertebrates allowing the mudflats to harden up and keep the oysters happier.

:piss: I'm going to have to think about that for a while. How is that even possible?

Some Scientist Who Always Smells of Dead Fish posted:

Because pH is hard to measure and has only recently become a concern, little is known about the historic values, Murray said.

That, and the idea that the buffering capacity of inshore waters was immense so why bother? lol, owned.

Maybe there's some historic data sets out there collected by students who were too young and naive to know it wasn't worth doing.

silicone thrills posted:

Lol. I still can't believe that the planners only expected to make the aquifers last 40 years from the start.

Cadillac desert has some solid crack o pingos

Only 50 pages in but it's a banger for sure. I think I would have gotten more from the sections on Alberta's watersheds in "Stupid to the Last Drop" if I'd read it first. On the positive side some of Alberta's watersheds are so polluted by tar bitumen sands operations that we're probably at less risk of an invasion now if we don't agree to divert everything south of the Arctic Ocean down to Colorado.

Love the idea that rain follows the plow. More people = more wet. An idea worthy of Facebook.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Hexigrammus posted:

Onion wine, but the recipe needs potatoes and raisins.

you could probably just not add the onions and go with potatoes and grapes, then

unless that's the joke

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

that international forum on collapse at the University of Tasmania just started and the moderator did a good job reminding everyone that indigenous people have already been through it, and that we need to recognize the importance of our support networks, as this is brain-breaking stuff

the person who originated the green new deal is on the forum

I’m excited about the work of the guy from Just Collapse

quote:

Just Collapse is a platform dedicated to justice in the face of inevitable and irreversible global collapse.

Just Collapse advocates for a Planned Collapse to avert the worst outcomes that will follow an otherwise unplanned, reactive collapse.

Just Collapse recognises that there will be no justice in an unplanned collapse.

name dropping “overshoot” a lot

So far so good

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

lol the moderator is reminding everyone that maybe imperialism isn’t the answer, and the movement’s acknowledgment of forced population control in the 70s isn’t on the table

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Living in the pnw and paying attention to scientific articles is definitely some poo poo that will turn anyone into a doomer.

Between all the obvious logging and horrifying environmental poo poo that goes with that, you've got the quickly dying salmon populations from rubber tire road run off and the acidic ocean poo poo.

As I was typing that I remembered the Oso landslide which was on of the biggest in the world that took out a whole town a few years back and it is believed it was directly tied to logging destabilizing the land over a few decades.

https://www.usgs.gov/news/five-years-later-oso-sr-530-landslide-washington?qt-news_science_products=1#qt-news_science_products

also here's the salmon thing

https://www.washington.edu/news/2020/12/03/tire-related-chemical-largely-responsible-for-adult-coho-salmon-deaths-in-urban-streams/

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

yoooooooo first PowerPoint is about how bullshit renewable energy is in solving the climate crisis

was a little rough seeing these eco nerd academics getting to grips with Zoom this far into the pandemic, but the message is solidddddddd

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

“massive population reduction”

“life after fossil fuels will look like life before fossil fuels, there are many, many, silver linings to this”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Between all the obvious logging and horrifying environmental poo poo that goes with that, you've got the quickly dying salmon populations from rubber tire road run off and the acidic ocean poo poo.
lol wait until you get to the part where all the salmon gets killed off in Cadillac Desert.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

it’s totally rude to submit “lol, lmao” constantly in the q&a

presenter totally just namedropped bright green lies

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

yeah, these nerds are calling for a reduction of the human population down to 1 billion

e:

“it ain’t eco fascism if it’s applied universally”

“to us, it’s not a question of coercion, but what the just and humane methods are we can pursue to reduce the human population”

Unless has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Oct 20, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

US target population of 0. just doing our fair share

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Just Collapse I think is on the right track, and the academics have totally embraced the crack-ping

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that just collapse stuff is a pretty neat evolution of rationalizing with problem but i'll reserve my judgment until i hear their comment on my exclusive diet of Arby's and IVs to keep me from dying of arby's sparked dehydration

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Oct 20, 2021

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
everyday I come to read the thread, and everyday

lmao

like, have we tried blowing on the 4 stones yet? just checking

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

meh, I still find inner meaning in the fight that isn’t based on shaming or recruiting others, and I buy that there are significant differences in a planned contraction versus an unplanned contraction

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

tiberion02 posted:

everyday I come to read the thread, and everyday

lmao

like, have we tried blowing on the 4 stones yet? just checking

That's a good movie.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Unless posted:

meh, I still find inner meaning in the fight that isn’t based on shaming or recruiting others, and I buy that there are significant differences in a planned contraction versus an unplanned contraction

the cynic in me wants to argue that pretending like society would ever possibly agree on a planned collapse is a waste of time but I guess they can just focus on building smaller networks and communities of people anyway which would probably help a lot of people in some capacity.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

speak the true true

ocean’s a multitude of drops, muthafuckaaaaaaaa

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Jel Shaker posted:

i would imagine that if you went on tv and said that most of southern europe would be an inhospitable desert within our childrens lifetimes you would not only have the “delete the last 7 seconds of broadcast” button mashed repeatedly but be banned from all media in damnatio memoriae

it'd be like the end of harrison bergeron

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Unless posted:

“massive population reduction”

“life after fossil fuels will look like life before fossil fuels, there are many, many, silver linings to this”
was this recorded? would like to watch but it was a bad time for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

trump will fix everything