Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

gently caress, the magic eraser feature makes me want to upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

XIII posted:

gently caress, the magic eraser feature makes me want to upgrade

It did an awful job of removing the cars in that twitter picture. I expect its effectiveness to be very mixed.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

NuclearWinterUK posted:

It did an awful job of removing the cars in that twitter picture. I expect its effectiveness to be very mixed.

I think it did a great job of removing the cars. It did a lovely job of filling in where they were.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose it's not likely buds will be back in stock in time. Bummer to miss that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

NuclearWinterUK posted:

It'll be fine for tweaking pics to post on IG, which is basically the only thing I even use my camera for

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think it did a great job of removing the cars. It did a lovely job of filling in where they were.

Well yes. You know what I mean!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I've been really looking forward to the full release of 12 after weeks of System UI crashing while doing various tasks on Beta 5.1. The good news is that we've upgraded from System UI crashes, which only really hang the phone (Pixel 4) for a few seconds......to the entire loving phone hardcrashing and restarting itself. This is a very cool and good feature and I am glad to have it.

At least my At A Glance widget shows the weather again :toot:

barnold fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 20, 2021

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

You can't trade in a Pixel 5a to get the 6 Pro :saddowns:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

barnold posted:

At least my At A Glance widget shows the weather again :toot:

My dad can't get his to show weather on the lock screen or the "default" at a glance that is on the home screen upper left. Did you do something to fix it? He's gone through every setting he can think of.

Edit: Second factory reset and weather magically came back. Guess it was just a Google Thing.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 20, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well after thinking over some more, I went for the seafoam 6. Cancelled my yellow Pro, so try that if you want one!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Syrinxx posted:

You can't trade in a Pixel 5a to get the 6 Pro :saddowns:

I'm not interested in doing this myself but this seems surprising, you'd think they'd want people to turn in their phones of the version that they still sell, so that they can turn around and sell them as refurbs easily, weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y8rdML9fpI

7:25 or so in. David mentions that Marques found the telephoto impressive and you can tell that he both wants to say a ton but knows he can't and very quickly says he just had a very very short demo with it to move on.

I can only imagine that after the cameras stopped he was like "Dude, you know I couldn't say anything about camera quality!"

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've never used a screen protector but I'm thinking about it for the 6. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Kind of a bummer that some features went missing from RC to the final version of Android 12, not being able to change system font and icon shapes anymore is lame.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I updated to Android 12 tonight and an app I use for work did not carry over. I went back into the Play Store to redownload it, but it fails the install every time.

The app is RoadWarrior Route Planner.

The store just says "Can't install RoadWarrior Route Planner. Try again, and if it doesn't work, see common ways to fix the problem."

Anybody see this before with other apps? This is A Problem if I can't get this poo poo working.

e: clearing the Google Play Store cache in Settings did nothing.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 20, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Holy moley, the biggest carrier in Australia is selling the Pixel 6 for $799 aud including tax, which is equal to $523 US. That's $200 less than the Pixel 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ars has a long form about tensor and they talk about the two bigs.

quote:

"When it's a steady-state problem where, say, the CPU has a lighter load but it's still modestly significant, you'll have the dual X1s running, and at that performance level, that will be the most efficient," Carmack said.

He gave a camera view as an example of a "medium" workload, saying that you "open up your camera and you have a live view and a lot of really interesting things are happening all at once. You've got imaging calculations. You've got rendering calculations. You've got ML [machine learning] calculations, because maybe Lens is on detecting images or whatever. During situations like that, you have a lot of computation, but it's heterogeneous."

A quick aside: "heterogeneous" here means using more bits of the SoC for compute than just the CPU, so in the case of Lens, that means CPU, GPU, ISP (the camera co-processor), and Google's ML co-processor.

Carmack continued, "You might use the two X1s dialed down in frequency so they're ultra-efficient, but they're still at a workload that's pretty heavy. A workload that you normally would have done with dual A76s, maxed out, is now barely tapping the gas with dual X1s."

The camera is a great case study, since previous Pixel phones have failed at exactly this kind of task. The Pixel 5 and 5a both regularly overheat after three minutes of 4K recording. I'm not allowed to talk too much about this right now, but I did record a 20 minute, 4K, 60 FPS video on a Pixel 6 with no overheating issues. (I got bored after 20 minutes.)

So, they use the two bigs a once at a scaled down frequency to get better speed an efficiency as dual A76s at a MUCH lower thermal overhead.

It's going to be interesting as most 888s overheat in some fashion. I wonder if they are really overheating due to maxed out A78 cores running full tilt on multithreaded workloads which this dual X1 design might sidestep.

quote:

So what are those new capabilities? Here's one: the previous Pixel phones' incredible camera performance despite their ancient sensors is thanks to its HDR+ algorithm, which, with a single button press, does exposure stacking across 10 photos taken in half a second and merges them into a single photo using machine learning. Thanks to the ancient camera hardware, though, the video quality on Pixel phones has been pretty bad, because there's just no way that you can run something like image stacking on a video... until now! The Pixel 6 can run Google's HDR algorithm on 4K video for every single frame at 60FPS. Welcome to the world of video image stacking, brought to you by Google Tensor.

The video version of the HDR+ algorithm is called "HDR Net," and Google actually built a specific accelerator for this algorithm into the Tensor Image Signal Processor (ISP). Gupta said that this should "bring the signature Pixel look to videos."

Did I mention my review unit recorded a 4K, 60FPS video for 20 minutes straight, while HDR-Netting every single individual frame, without any overheating issues? We'll have to see how good the camera quality is after a review, but all that talk about sustained "medium" performance and the weird CPU layout is starting to come together here. This sounds like a real, tangible 10x improvement over previous Pixel devices, which, again, lasted around 3 minutes in 4K video mode with no fancy image stacking.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/the-google-silicon-team-gives-us-a-tour-of-the-pixel-6s-tensor-soc/

Having a chip like this at $599 seems insane on paper. Let's hope it delivers on the software side.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 20, 2021

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Changed it to my carrier and saved a bit, got a charger included as well.

But they do not make it easy to price compare

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aw man, they got rid of holding the power button to get quick smart home controls.

Are those somewhere else now?

It's so annoying how lots of ordinary stuff I do on my phone is just a couple extra taps now. Who is Android 12 for?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoobles posted:

Aw man, they got rid of holding the power button to get quick smart home controls.

It's so annoying how lots of ordinary stuff I do on my phone is just a couple extra taps now. Who is Android 12 for?

The new weird quick settings! Swipe down for that now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any idea why the status bar is turning dumb colors when a pseudo-web-view (not sure what to call it - when you open a web page from e.g. email)? Even on Android 11 I'd sometimes get white text on a white bar, but now I'm getting grey text on a black bar:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would say my biggest fear for the Pixel 6 right now are if the Samsung modems are any good.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My biggest gripe so far with A12 is that turning the wifi on/off is like a secondary menu now unless I can change it somehow?

I turn off wifi when I get in my car because Android Auto removed that for some loving reason.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Free 30W charger with a Pixel 6 Spigen case (ordered from Spigen directly): https://www.droid-life.com/2021/10/19/if-you-buy-a-spigen-pixel-6-case-theyll-give-you-a-free-30w-charger/

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So pixel pass offered me less on a trade-in than the Google store did a few hours ago. 250 vs 400 something. So I guess I'm going to skip on the pixel pass for now.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I cancelled multiple phone orders that I managed to get in after it hosed up my initial pixel pass because tonight I was just able to order the pixel pass on fi, easy with no errors.

what the hell google, make your experience always that

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

smoobles posted:

It's also on the lockscreen in the bottom left corner. If you don't see it, you just need to toggle the option on in Settings

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Was annoyed that the control center can only fit 4 buttons now, til I realized now I've got all this real estate for my zero notifications

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This video is more interesting/honest than most rather than most of the typical corporate crap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y8rdML9fpI

Warning: I think one guy is literally orgasming

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

smoobles posted:

Was annoyed that the control center can only fit 4 buttons now, til I realized now I've got all this real estate for my zero notifications

this new notification shade is my biggest upset about android 12 by a huge distance.

as stated above, it just shows you a blank screen if you have no notifications and fewer quick settings options than before. everything is a few extra steps away from where it used to be in android 11.

logically, there has to be a reason for these changes:

• qualitative feedback from focus groups that the unlabeled quick settings icons were too ambiguous and/or behaved unexpectedly when tapped (presumably non-tech types who expect a more hand-holdy approach to software steps)
  • quantitative feedback from user inputs over time revealing not enough users interact with the settings we're complaining about for it to be a big disappointment to change it all
  • some business decision to make more settings available as widgets so users are more reliant on features introduced in android 12 to keep them reliant on android-specific features? or just take "advantage" of Material You? this one's tricky and hard to believe but not implausible
  • a bunch of other reasons around data and feedback that i can't think of at the moment bc i can't help but think this overhaul is pandering to less techy types which is smart if you want to sell as many phones as apple but you're never gonna do that until posting photos and videos on social media apps isn't a disaster (which is more than likely why they're partnering with Snap, an app where the platform has failed to perform up to standard for over half a decade

ok so that's a lot of thoughts. i'm not mad i'm just disappointed :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just picked up two spigen pixel 6 pro cases, rugged armor and slim armor cs, and am very happy with both. I've bought like half a dozen spigen cases per year and they seem to be better quality than the recent Samsung ones. Really good texture and just enough protection.

Edit: ah poo the slim armor cs doesn't work with wireless charging. Should have known.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 20, 2021

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just picked up two spigen pixel 6 pro cases, rugged armor and slim armor cs, and am very happy with both. I've bought like half a dozen spigen cases per year and they seem to be better quality than the recent Samsung ones. Really good texture and just enough protection.

I just ordered the liquid air, based mostly on how it looks. Hopefully that's a decent one--I honestly couldn't really tell the difference between the models online. I've always been happy with Spigen in the past.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I grabbed a Spigen Ultra Hybrid. I don't generally like hard polycarbonate, but the edges are TPU so I'm going to give it a shot. I don't want an all black case, it's so boring. I want the color of the phone to be visible. I've have Spigen full clear TPU in the past and liked it. They don't seem to make those anymore though.

The clear TPU cases start to turn brown and yellow after 6 months or so, but I just buy a new one when I gets real bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I grabbed a Spigen Ultra Hybrid. I don't generally like hard polycarbonate, but the edges are TPU so I'm going to give it a shot. I don't want an all black case, it's so boring. I want the color of the phone to be visible. I've have Spigen full clear TPU in the past and liked it. They don't seem to make those anymore though.

The clear TPU cases start to turn brown and yellow after 6 months or so, but I just buy a new one when I gets real bad.

I almost got that Ultra Hybrid one but I'm just unsold on clear cases. Do they show scuffs, etc, easier?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I almost got that Ultra Hybrid one but I'm just unsold on clear cases. Do they show scuffs, etc, easier?

Usually they turn yellow.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

The cheap TPU one I have now has scuffs but the light has to catch it at the right angle to really notice. For $7 from Amazon I'm not complaining.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
I picked up the Spigen Tough Armor, a little pricey but I use the little kickstand a decent amount and the texture is such that if it falls out of my hand I must be unconscious, so it's protection in that way rather than actually worrying about what happens when it hits something. That's always been my approach with cases, just buy the grippiest thing I can find.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the pixel 6 says it's £599 in the UK and $599 in the US. I know US has tax to apply onto that, but isn't it only 10%? Is the UK just charging the equivalent of an extra $150 for this?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

roomtone posted:

the pixel 6 says it's £599 in the UK and $599 in the US. I know US has tax to apply onto that, but isn't it only 10%? Is the UK just charging the equivalent of an extra $150 for this?

Brexit fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Global prices are never straight currency conversions.