Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've talked to people for whom the politics did not go over their heads and they fall into two camps:

1) People who immediately stopped reading the books
2) People who, well, you know

Username post combo holy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have only the barest contact with sword of truth but lmao that tracks

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I basically don't remember the first 6 books at all.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Pleads posted:

I have never heard of Gene Wolfe, Shadow of the Torturer is not available at any library in my city of 1.3 million, and Amazon(.ca) doesn't have a physical version of it for less than $140.

What the hell.

A city with 1.3 million people must have at least one used book store or thrift shop.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Gawyns supposed to be handsome though.

Cole Sprouse as Galad

KJ Apa as Gawyn

Timothée Chalamet is also close to my head canon for Galad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

th3t00t posted:

Cole Sprouse as Galad

KJ Apa as Gawyn

Timothée Chalamet is also close to my head canon for Galad.

Chalmette is pretty enough but it's the wrong kind of pretty. I think galad is supposed to be blonde bishonen pretty like that Swedish dude who was in Death in Venice.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ah yes, blonde bishonen pretty,

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I see Christiano Ronaldo in my minds eye for galad - dark, graceful, super athlete

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
"he was almost too handsome for masculinity."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hooplah posted:

Ah yes, blonde bishonen pretty,

Wheel of Time is basically an anime

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

"he was almost too handsome for masculinity."

the dark one's touch on the pattern is strong...

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-ama...m_medium=social

good pics here imo

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That's a nice find. I know we already saw them in the BTS thing posted a short time ago, but these Children of the Light look pretty good. Not how I envisioned them when reading the books, but the aesthetics is unique and appropriate for what they are trying to represent.

The Waygate is functional, but doesn't evoke the Ogier crafted feeling that it's supposed to.

Sophie Okonedo looks great as Siuan Sanche. Her clothing is pretty cool, certainly gives the feeling that this is what a proper fantasy pope wears.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

An Isekai thanks to the reincarnation.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

quote:

Daniel Henney, who plays a character called Lan Mandragoran, told me that he was getting used to his new life here. “I was on a show for six years in L.A.,” he said. “When I was done with that, I was ready to try something very different.” He paused to indicate the mud and the woods and the Eastern Europe of it all. “And this is very different.” He said the hardest part of being over here was figuring out how to eat like an actor from Los Angeles. He would kill for some Sweetgreen. “I've got a naked hot tub scene coming up,” he said, even as he was being inundated with dumplings and sausage. “What the gently caress?”

lol

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

The Waygate is functional, but doesn't evoke the Ogier crafted feeling that it's supposed to.

I like the way it looks, but how are they going to seal them? There's no door like in the books, maybe it just stops working if you take off the leaf but I liked the idea of a door opening up so you didn't just accidentally fall through.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I see there will be more equal opportunity nudity than in the books.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Torrannor posted:

I see there will be more equal opportunity nudity than in the books.

That was actually in the first book, the boys all got naked and took baths in Baerlon and Matt nearly told the attendant about all of the crazy poo poo they had been through

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Time to toss the dovie'andi

[RJ note: Dovie'andi means dice]

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Glumslinger posted:

That was actually in the first book, the boys all got naked and took baths in Baerlon and Matt nearly told the attendant about all of the crazy poo poo they had been through

Also it's referenced plenty of times, with the mixed baths in Fal Dara, sweat tents in the waste, Aiel jumping out of blankets naked to fight trollocs, etc.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Glumslinger posted:

I loved that it mirrored LOTR in that way. First leg of the journey done, time for a bath. But less singing and more shouting at Mat.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Invalid Validation posted:

It took till the book that he did an atlas shrugged knockoff and spent like 1000 pages carving a statue while lamenting communism for me to start questioning the bullshit. I get it.

:same:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nitrousoxide posted:

An Isekai thanks to the reincarnation.

Nah. Implicit in isekai is being able to bring across useful knowledge or perspectives from the original world. All the main WoT characters, even the ones like Rand and Mat who can access their previous lives are still native to that era of Randland and their perspectives are of Two Rivers kids with occasional insights into the past, not Age of Legends folks trying to adapt to the Third Age.

If anything, it's the Forsaken who are living in an isekai, but since they're antagonists and we only get their perspectives rarely, their presence doesn't make Wheel of Time itself an isekai series.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Oh word

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

jng2058 posted:

Nah. Implicit in isekai is being able to bring across useful knowledge or perspectives from the original world. All the main WoT characters, even the ones like Rand and Mat who can access their previous lives are still native to that era of Randland and their perspectives are of Two Rivers kids with occasional insights into the past, not Age of Legends folks trying to adapt to the Third Age.

If anything, it's the Forsaken who are living in an isekai, but since they're antagonists and we only get their perspectives rarely, their presence doesn't make Wheel of Time itself an isekai series.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Chalmette is pretty enough but it's the wrong kind of pretty. I think galad is supposed to be blonde bishonen pretty like that Swedish dude who was in Death in Venice.

using anime words is fitting because the kid was underage

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm very much looking forward to seeing the dragon tattoos on Rand's actor. They need to be appropriately shiny or I will be upset.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Torrannor posted:

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the dragon tattoos on Rand's actor. They need to be appropriately shiny or I will be upset.

If they don't sparkle it'll be a failure. Put them on him but use the VFX to give them an ethereal quality.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If they don't sparkle it'll be a failure. Put them on him but use the VFX to give them an ethereal quality.

And they must be wingless dragons, but I'm not worried on that front. Eastern dragons are surely easier to fit on arms than western ones.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chalmette is pretty enough but it's the wrong kind of pretty.

:wrong:

There is very little pretty in Chalmette:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

“I say sometimes that showrunning is basically just laying your body over the show and trying to protect it as you take 10,000 swords into your back,” Judkins told me wearily one day over the phone. He said he'd had his assistant keep track of how many suggestions Amazon had had, just for the pilot. In the end “we got 11,000 notes,” Judkins said. Actual number. “Even if I only do like a 10th of those, that's still like multiple notes per second,” he said. Executives had questions about individual shots and how the show was depicting magic. They had questions about style and tone. And they were friendly questions, but they were also infinite, and every time Judkins got one—usually while he was on some faraway set full of new and different problems to solve—he had to consider whether it was worth doing or whether to dig in. “It's very hard to take your little precious kernel of an idea and deliver it at the end of the production-and-notes process,” he said.

I would pay to see what tech execs think is good storytelling. Please, for the mother of god, I'd pay!!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

they need to be so bright they're blinding people and there's an ongoing joke of people shielding their eyes from them, including rahvin losing to rand because of it

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Because of Wheel Takes, I am finally watching Winter Dragon. I'm a little over halfway through and I'm honestly pretty impressed, given that I assume they had almost no budget.

Also, god drat I am in love with Billy Zane's Ishamael. I never would've thought to give him an exasperated "are you loving serious?" tone when speaking to Lews Therin and it's amazing.

edit: "If you'll excuse me old friend, I have to join my family." :lol:

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 20, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zane should be one of the Forsaken. Winter Dragon wasn't great, but he saved it singlehandedly. Though I do like the shot where Lews Therin looks into the mirror and the camera swings around to show reality.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Zane should be one of the Forsaken. Winter Dragon wasn't great, but he saved it singlehandedly. Though I do like the shot where Lews Therin looks into the mirror and the camera swings around to show reality.

Is Zane a big fan or something? It makes no sense that they paid him to do that given the budget on the project.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I actually go back and scrub through to some of Zane's lines in winter dragon from time to time, he really kinda nailed it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

if by some fantastic mistake i become a billionaire, this is absolutely the thing i will spend into existence

RE: Wheel Takes. Ali sounds like Leslie Knope often. And she just toes the line of "too theater-girl for me to feel positively about". When she sings it reminds me of jenna from 30 rock. her reads do tend to be pretty good still, I'm partway through TDR

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I want the sword fights to be them shouting the name of the move, and each move being some ridiculously stylized motion, overlaid with a clip of an actual boar rushing down a mountain, etc

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I want the sword fights to be them shouting the name of the move, and each move being some ridiculously stylized motion, overlaid with a clip of an actual boar rushing down a mountain, etc

I want it to be like a JRPG where the target doesn't move and the charging boar just tramples over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I choose you Boar rushing down the Mountain!!!