Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Well its also that we CAN deal with a huge source of the pain and misery we feel but therapists tend to pushback against 'extremism' and then apparently some of them report you to the feds, not even for plans, just for general anti-capitalist sentiment.

To the extent capitalism itself is making me mentally sick (and its probably the majority cause) I don't think learning to live with it is actually doing any good, for myself or anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Ronwayne posted:

Well its also that we CAN deal with a huge source of the pain and misery we feel but therapists tend to pushback against 'extremism' and then apparently some of them report you to the feds, not even for plans, just for general anti-capitalist sentiment.

To the extent capitalism itself is making me mentally sick (and its probably the majority cause) I don't think learning to live with it is actually doing any good, for myself or anyone else.

Lol what therapist is reporting people for being disgusted with capitalism

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

poll plane variant posted:

Lol what therapist is reporting people for being disgusted with capitalism

The one that said the DSA was an extremist organization and any group the cops pay attention to, overtly or covertly, should be avoided, and said that me being interested in going to a meeting was a huge danger sign of where I might be headed* and elsewhere casually dropped the fact they sent the cops on "wellness checks" to people's homes.

After that I try to have a talk with all new therapists under what circumstances they send out people with the authority and capacity to restrain others and have to do an annoying game where I don't supply any the keywords they're looking for when they're obviously fishing for them.

*Yeah, yeah, I know, but this was a right-lib criticism, not a M-L one.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Oct 15, 2021

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I do concur that going to a DSA meeting is bad for your mental health, but it's because of how many opportunists are members and the slow crushing realization that they all want to be the next AOC.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Oh yea dropped off my badge and key for work yesterday and was absolutely loving terrified they were going to pink slip me and hold me prisoner in the facility so I wouldn't do any whistleblowing. A bunch of the patients I talked to thought they were going in to do a 20 minute evaluation for depression/anxiety and then go home but then they were pink slipped and held prisoner there for weeks so the hospital could get that sweet insurance money.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Holy loving poo poo, that is like, pretty much all my paranoia and worries about mental health facilities in one place except for the one where they let violent patients run amok and/or orderlies who obviously wish they were riot cops and behave as such.

I'm glad you got out of there, CU, I'll stand by assessment of "hell on earth". Or maybe "Hotel California, but its about medicaid money" :smith:

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 01:34 on Oct 15, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I find it hard to discuss delicate subjects with people who I've never met in person. It's so easy to misread something when I don't personally know someone, and when I can't see their body language or hear their tone of voice.

I'm not sure I'm following everyone's line of thought, but I think it's useful to be very clear when you're talking about is versus ought. In my mind, the world is hosed, and it ought to be a lot less hosed. Therapists have to work within the limitations of what is. We have to live in that world, and a decent therapist will help us navigate it. In the United States, we have a system that is broken in many ways. In my opinion, we ought to have a system where people don't have to worry about poverty, homelessness, or suffering due to a lack of social services. A therapist has a very limited set of tools to help someone. There's a massive gap in services, and it seems like most people's (not just therapists) solution to filling that gap involves getting peers back to work.

I tried to get at this topic a few weeks ago, but I was hypomanic at the time and probably didn't come across well. I feel like this shifts a systemic problem (capitalism, lack of services, etc.) to a personal problem. This puts an unfair burden on the individual struggling with mental health issues. This burden ends up weighing on the few people who actually give a poo poo about us. Friends, family, clergy, volunteers, medical professionals, and others are stuck trying to help us. I, for one, feel guilty as hell about this. Much of my suicidal ideation comes from the thought that I'm a burden to the people around me. I feel like I've cost them too much in terms of material help and heartache. Pretty much everyone who is close to me has given me a talking-to about how I need to get it together and have a career. I know these people care about me, and I love the hell out of them. I know hurting myself is not the answer. Suicide would absolutely not fix anything, and it would only hurt the people who care about me.

I know I'm focusing a whole lot on the way I think things ought to be. That isn't very helpful in a practical sense. I can think about my ideal world all I want, but it doesn't change my material circumstances. I can try to be active and push for this ideal world, but I know that realistically it's unlikely that I'll make a large difference.

I feel like many people (including myself) associate working hard with being a moral person. I've struggled with anxiety and an unstable mood for decades. I feel like I put quite a bit of work into surviving and trying to better myself. I know this is just my perception, but I feel like I need to prove my value as a human being to the people around me by showing some kind of material success. I've internalized the idea that I'm a bad person for not achieving this success. I tell myself that's not true, because of the work I do for my family and NAMI. Ultimately, I know that's the wrong approach. I shouldn't have to justify my very existence to myself or others. I'm sure everyone who cares about me would agree.

I know that the solution to my problem is getting my poo poo together. I think the solution to my problem ought to be better social services. My options feel limited to pulling up hard enough on my bootstraps to get a livable wage, settling for starvation-level public assistance, or leeching off of those who care about me. I haven't given up on work. At the very least, I want to continue advocacy in a volunteer capacity. I do think I have something to offer to the people around me.

I have a hard time navigating bureaucracy. I feel like the system is designed to filter out people like me. I want to give kudos to Ronwayne, and anyone else who managed to navigate the system and get (some of) what they deserve. We all deserve to have our basic needs met, at the very least.

This heavy focus on personal responsibility from the people in my life makes me feel like the problem lies entirely within me. I know that, practically speaking, the solution has to come from me. These people want to help, and probably think they're helping. I know my idea of what ought to be is far from happening in the US. I feel like less of a person for not achieving what people expect of me. I feel like I'm crazy for thinking I deserve essential services, when so many people in my life disagree. tl;dr: I want to find a therapist with a similar idea of what ought to be. I think that would go a long way toward making me feel validated as a human being who deserves to exist.

I hope this wasn't too convoluted. I appreciate having you all to post with.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Thanks Uganda, If anyone wants to PM asking how I'm continuing to survive despite no earned income for 2.5 years and also not being a physically starved wreck, I'm happy to answer questions of how I managed to dig up enough cash to survive, with the note bearing that every state is different outside Texas and in that case I can only provide generalist advice on where to find such places and resources.

And one of the most important mental health victories for myself was learning to separate my economic production from my worth as a human being. Even if someone just sits on their rear end they should be provided with food, healthcare, shelter, and a comfortable environment. Most people want to help until its burned out of them. It might not be at industrial society levels of expectations for productive behavior, but it would be something.

More and more I'm beginning to think "You're just lazy" is the modern day of saying schizophrenics are possessed by demons and other ignorant nonsense. It's b.s. from a society trying to reduce us to a resume, credit score, and targeted ad profile.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Oct 15, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. There are plenty of things that I rationally know to be true, but it's hard to overcome a lifetime of putting myself down.

I had a nice get-together with some extended family today. I saw people who I hadn't seen in over a decade. I was facebook "friends" with them for a long time, but didn't really communicate with them until I went hypomanic a few weeks ago and overshared with loving everyone. Holy poo poo was I embarrassed to see them in person. I nearly bailed. It was going to be a small get-together, but it ended up being a lot bigger than planned. I think some of them came because they knew I'd be there :)

Growing up, I saw them as an obligation that I had to put up with on holidays. Now, I realize how much they really care. I got some advice on dealing with non-profit boards, which I'll use at my local NAMI. No one grilled me on my work experience this time around. Family get-togethers have felt like I'm running a gauntlet of excuses for my personal failings until now. I feel lucky to have them.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I posted this in the last page but my ability to deal with poo poo has gotten much better after abandoning the self imposed responsibility to earn the maximum amount of money I can justify. I'll have enough to live okay and that is fine until I knock somebody up or want to do something extravagant like see a doctor

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, one of the most dehumanizing phrases I have ever heard is "Lifetime earning potential". As if your life is supposed to be based around increasing it.

Over the years, SA has learned to tolerate and sometimes accept the useful insights of the furry and the juggalo.

I guess at this point we can add basement NEETs (non nazi variants), that that list.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I find it hard to discuss delicate subjects with people who I've never met in person. It's so easy to misread something when I don't personally know someone, and when I can't see their body language or hear their tone of voice.

Just something that stood out to me here - it's why I always make an effort to really try and read into someone's tone and or put myself into someone's shoes based on the situation they're in. What I've noticed is that people genuinely do mean what they say, and if they're trying to put up some sort of wall through humor, anger, or any other kind of emotion - it's easy to piece together what they truly mean.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i have 200k+ in student loans, haven't paid back a cent, and if civilization collapses before i do that means i got away with stealing an education :getin:

Yeah see this is why I have to think what I previously posted or else I feel bad that I was not able to benefit from an opportunity available to other people.

thehandtruck posted:

(Sorry I missed this and forgot about it and then remembered it.)

This is a gross mischaracterization of my post, but maybe I have a blind spot so I will engage in earnest. The bolded part is very much true. It's painful but it is exactly what I meant, in the exact way that you're unhappy with. If someone goes in to therapy lamenting the loss of a leg, and they have exhausted all remediation possibilities, the therapist's job truly is to help them learn to deal with being broken. I wouldn't use the phrase "being broken" because I have a fundamental disagreement with you about the nature of being human, but "being broken" suffices here. A therapist cannot heal or regrow the leg. The loss of the leg has huge implications that impact every single activity of that person, and it also reaches into their very core and identity. That person can take medication for the rest of their lives, and it will indeed dull the mental anguish, but it will also dull their joy. I personally do not think that is an equitable trade for the majority of cases, but someone else might and that's fine. Therapy and the like helps people come to terms with "being broken" (again, your phrase not mine), which will hopefully bring some kind of healing and acceptance, and then hopefully growth and happiness.

I think you misunderstand. I am depressed because I have a permanent physical disability which means that society sees me as useless if not a burden. Because society is unlikely to change in a way that uplifts my worth and I am unlikely to become magically not physically disabled I will likely continue to suffer from depression. I am physically broken and frankly it is insulting to be told to get used to it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My gp and some other doctors told me to go to a mental health professional to help with my brain problems and the brain doctor told me :shrug: sorry not much I can do about those physical problems at the root of your brain problems.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That sucks, I'm sorry SN. I do agree that sometimes being accepting of bad but unchangeable situations often results in one being taken advantage of and/or ignored.

It's been pretty stressful but so far I've had my best luck in getting things done and making others provide me with essential services by being low-key pissy and upset most of the time with a mostly polite face over it. If I ever get to the point I just accept my situation I think I'm gonna implode and rot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shifty Nipples posted:

My gp and some other doctors told me to go to a mental health professional to help with my brain problems and the brain doctor told me :shrug: sorry not much I can do about those physical problems at the root of your brain problems.

Yup, that's a familiar experience.

They also said I was dealing with the massive amounts of pain way better than expected. At least once they confirmed where the damage was and started believing I really was in that much pain all the time.

I can't get therapy because it's unlikely to do anything with how composed and self-aware I am (based on previous attempts), and the pain medications are at the maximum dosage I can take without a major risk of harm. Turns out that "being in pain all the time sucks" isn't something you can medicate or talk away.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I gotta say, it hurts to hear someone describe themselves as "broken." It's not at all my place to police the way others describe themselves, though. I know physical problems affect mental health, but I feel like I don't know a whole lot about the subject. I'd like to think a good therapist could provide validation and teach coping skills, but maybe that's not the case. If you've already come to terms with your situation, maybe "validation" is more like condescension? I think everyone could benefit from better coping skills, but trying to treat a physical issue with coping skills may be just setting someone up for failure. In my support groups, we have a lot of people who have physical issues alongside a mental health diagnosis. I don't think we currently have anyone whose problems stem entirely from physical pain or disability, but I don't want to assume.

I have some degree of power over the peers in my support groups and classes, and I want to be very careful about how I use it. I know I'm not a trained professional or an expert. I'm just someone trying to fill the massive gap in services. I try to be hyper aware of the way my actions affect people in those situations. I consider body language, tone of voice, people's apparent moods, and whatever else I can to gauge their reaction. If someone described themselves as "broken" in one of my support groups, I would probably tell them that I don't think of them that way. I'd try to provide validation for what they're going through. If I could provide any practical advice, I'd do my best to offer it. Maybe that's the wrong approach? I try to help where I can, but there's only so much I can do with a few minutes worth of talking once a week. The least I can do is try not to hurt anyone. Those visual and auditory cues are entirely missing over text, so it's hard to gauge others' reactions to what I say when posting. I try to adjust the way I interact with people in real-time based on the way I perceive their response, too. I can't do that with a big ole' word dump like this.

I hate to differentiate between mental and physical problems, because our brains and body chemistry are aspects of physical health, too. I think defining something as "mental health" can diminish how seriously people take an issue, but I don't think that's the case in this thread. I don't want to be pedantic, and I wonder if there's a better way to draw that distinction. It's a useful distinction in this case.

I know people who have been denied proper physical healthcare because of their mental health. One person I know fell and broke both of her wrists. They immediately labelled it as self-injury and sent her straight from the ER to a mental health facility. Do not pass go, do not receive basic loving first aid. Things tend to get even worse when cops are involved. Another person I know had her arm broken by her boyfriend. Her issues were treated as if they were all in her head, and she spent the night with her broken arm handcuffed to a bed. The arm was in nasty shape the next morning. I have all kinds of stories like that.

You've all given me a lot to think about. I don't want to pry, but I'd be interested to hear more about any experiences related to mental health professionals trying to help out with physical problems. I'm also curious about how people's physical health treatment has been affected by the way medical professionals perceive your mental health.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

I think you misunderstand. I am depressed because I have a permanent physical disability which means that society sees me as useless if not a burden. Because society is unlikely to change in a way that uplifts my worth and I am unlikely to become magically not physically disabled I will likely continue to suffer from depression. I am physically broken and frankly it is insulting to be told to get used to it.

Hi unless your physical thing mechanically causes depression, the two are not intrinsically linked. If your condition is permanent, you absolutely must "get used to it" and the people telling you to do that (in doubtlessly more patient & accommodating terms) are working towards your best interest. Nobody is trying to insult you by suggesting that despite your physical stuff, your depression can be treated. But by all means keep looking for reasons to not improve.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Jorge Bell posted:

But by all means keep looking for reasons to not improve.

Hoss, that was completely unnecessary.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'd try to provide validation for what they're going through. If I could provide any practical advice, I'd do my best to offer it. Maybe that's the wrong approach?

Practical advice and condescension often go hand in hand. When you've lived with a problem for a while, you tend to have way more knowledge than you'd want to. Hearing the same thing over and over will absolutely drive you mad. Especially when the thing is "I was trying to help, you don't need to be rude".

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

endlessmonotony posted:

Practical advice and condescension often go hand in hand. When you've lived with a problem for a while, you tend to have way more knowledge than you'd want to. Hearing the same thing over and over will absolutely drive you mad. Especially when the thing is "I was trying to help, you don't need to be rude".

When you put it that way, I find it extremely relatable. Many people seem to think they could handle my mental illness better than I do, despite my decades of learning and practicing coping skills. If I'm doing that to others, I need to be aware and change it.

My idea of practical advice is to mention local services. Putting people on the spot is a huge pet peeve of mine, and it's one of the few things I'll immediately intervene in. I don't like to see people grilled or called out for what they do/don't do. I talk to a lot of people in crisis, and I want to make sure they have a safe space where they feel welcome to return.

I get the impression that a lot of peer concerns are written off as symptoms of mental illness, and not valid topics for discussion. We have a lot of people telling us what to do and speaking for us, but few people actually listening. At NAMI, we have a program called "in our own voice." We have to go through training, get certification, be chosen by non-peer teachers, and be coached so we can spend a few minutes sharing our experiences. Calling it "in our own voice" seems like a bad joke. We're not even trusted to talk about our own experience. I'm not aware of any certification required for non-peers to share their experiences with peers.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
The thing to understand is depression IS the coping skill.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Uganda Loves Me posted:

When you put it that way, I find it extremely relatable. Many people seem to think they could handle my mental illness better than I do, despite my decades of learning and practicing coping skills. If I'm doing that to others, I need to be aware and change it.

Being able to acknowledge that someone has probably heard it before is by itself useful. Gets you the benefit of the doubt, at least.

thehandtruck posted:

It's amazing how often people attribute my "I'll never heal" to depression, too. No, that's what the doctors told me after several surgeries.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I am homeless, broke, stealing food often, and have been since spring. I have no ID or anything for a job but I don't want one anyway. So many resources come from churches and I won't touch it because I have extreme religious PTSD and I hate those loving places so much. I'm scared to panhandle. I just placed myself in a strange city for no reason. I'm so scared and so ready to quit but I dont want a painful death.

What does it loving take for someone in abject poverty and extreme emotional pain to get some actual help from non jesus freaks?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

thehandtruck posted:

I think we're working off of different definitions of "coping skills" and possibly even "depression." I tried googling depression as a coping skill, and the results came up with mentions of coping mechanisms that are associated with depression. I'd be genuinely interested if you have reading material on the subject.

I get the impression we're talking past each other. I really like this thread and the people in it. Maybe I'm not reading the room right, but I don't want things to devolve.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
is it normal to conclude a session with your therapist and immediately just sleep the rest of the day and feel sad and lovely?

because this is like three sessions in a row.

I always just feel worse

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

is it normal to conclude a session with your therapist and immediately just sleep the rest of the day and feel sad and lovely?

I always just feel worse

from personal experience: do you feel like your sessions with your therapist are helping you recover or feel better overall? it's normal for therapy to be physically, mentally and emotionally draining immediately afterwards if you're doing a lot of hard work, with the effort hopefully paying off when future bad situations/triggers/traumas come up and you're better able to recover from them then.

but if you're having three sessions in a row that aren't helping and are making you feel like absolute poo poo, i would stop seeing that therapist. that kind of experience is what my conversion therapy felt like, and it's actively harmful imo.

related, i finally managed to get to the support group for conversion therapy survivors tonight, and I'm really glad I went. It was chill and there were people I knew and although I didn't have a ton to say it was a good space to be in. Will definitely be going back.

And I've sorted out most of my grad school stuff. I spent my scholarship refund for this semester on an iPad Pro, and having something that isn't my desktop battlestation designed for multitasking 30 things at once made it much more possible to focus on my readings for tomorrow's class. Got my meds adjusted, talking to disability services on Friday. Still have to sort out student loans, but overall, things are going to be okay, I think. Maybe even good.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

This whole thing started because someone said I shouldn't expect to take antidepressants for the rest of my life and should instead change and stop being depressed. I was born with spina bifida I am not going to ever get better.

endlessmonotony posted:

Yup, that's a familiar experience.

They also said I was dealing with the massive amounts of pain way better than expected. At least once they confirmed where the damage was and started believing I really was in that much pain all the time.

I can't get therapy because it's unlikely to do anything with how composed and self-aware I am (based on previous attempts), and the pain medications are at the maximum dosage I can take without a major risk of harm. Turns out that "being in pain all the time sucks" isn't something you can medicate or talk away.

Oh yeah, I used to think that my pain wasn't severe enough to matter unless I was rolling on the ground crying but now that I am an adult I just lol and lmao at the low pain tolerance of many other people around me and I've never taken anything stronger than ibuprofen.

Jorge Bell posted:

Hi unless your physical thing mechanically causes depression, the two are not intrinsically linked. If your condition is permanent, you absolutely must "get used to it" and the people telling you to do that (in doubtlessly more patient & accommodating terms) are working towards your best interest. Nobody is trying to insult you by suggesting that despite your physical stuff, your depression can be treated. But by all means keep looking for reasons to not improve.

You are a fool.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
Don't fight you guys; this is a place of healing.
The Canada thread is the place of fighting

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think my therapist just legit sucks and I often find myself not saying things because I don't want to hurt his feelings? I don't know he never says helpful things to me.

like I'm trying to talk about the crushing weight of modern life and he's trying to get me talk about my favorite running shoes and why he like nikes.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I think we're working off of different definitions of "coping skills" and possibly even "depression." I tried googling depression as a coping skill, and the results came up with mentions of coping mechanisms that are associated with depression. I'd be genuinely interested if you have reading material on the subject.

Sure yeah. I don't know if I could suggest like one definitive book on it; it's just foundational to most theories of mind. Basically the idea is that depression, anxiety, and psychosis are all coping mechanisms because they are "preferable" to the psyche than the alternative. For example:

Bob is a paper pusher at Raytheon. He hates the fact that his works contributes to vaporizing little brown children across the world. It is such an assault on his mind and soul that his psyche can't take it anymore. He becomes "depressed". He can't sleep, can't eat, and wouldn't you know it, he doesn't have the energy to go to work. He says, "I am depressed. I have depression." Maybe he understands it maybe he doesn't, doesn't matter at all though. The point is his psyche coped with the intolerable pain of hurting other humans by slowing him to such an emotional and physical state that he couldn't go to work anymore.

That's basically what I mean when I say depression is the coping mechanism. You have to look at what does the depression do for Bob, what systemic part does it play. It played a pretty big part here, and was pretty loving helpful at least from my pov.

But you can extend the vignette to go back to my original comment. What happens if Bob goes to a psychiatrist looking for depression medication? They give him depression medication! It helps a little bit, but he's still depressed because they medicated him and sent him off right back to work. Versus if he goes to a (good) therapist, they will probably say something like, "Oh weird...seems like you're more depressed the more you go to work...maybe that job isn't a good fit...maybe it's good you're not going in anymore..."

So just to sum up my wall of text: being "depressed" was more preferable to Bob's psyche than the knowledge that every second he spends at work he contributes to capitalism and the murder of human beings all over the world, so he became depressed to cope and fix the situation.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I always just feel worse

To some degree, but if it's extreme it's important to back off a bit if the discussion feels like it's too much to handle. Pacing in therapy is important, and it seems therapists don't always pay attention to it, or can't recognize it when it's not right. If you feel bad because of a general disconnect with your therapist though, it may be a sign to find someone else. Either way it's definitely worth talking to your therapist about.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Segata Sanshiro posted:

I am homeless, broke, stealing food often, and have been since spring. I have no ID or anything for a job but I don't want one anyway. So many resources come from churches and I won't touch it because I have extreme religious PTSD and I hate those loving places so much. I'm scared to panhandle. I just placed myself in a strange city for no reason. I'm so scared and so ready to quit but I dont want a painful death.

What does it loving take for someone in abject poverty and extreme emotional pain to get some actual help from non jesus freaks?

I'm sorry segata. To help you out, do you have a bank account, and would you be comfortable telling me the area you're in via PM?

Yes, I realize the above question can be sketchy as hell coming from a rando on the internet, but I'd need to know if gofundme and/or paypall is an option. If you're near most large cities there's usually a secular aid service somewhere nearby which I might be able to narrow down if I know the general area you're in/can be in.

I think my therapist just legit sucks and I often find myself not saying things because I don't want to hurt his feelings? I don't know he never says helpful things to me.

like I'm trying to talk about the crushing weight of modern life and he's trying to get me talk about my favorite running shoes and why he like nikes.

I think he might just be on a different wave length, but yeah I've had huge pits in my stomach walking out of a therapists office, but if its happened three times in a row you and him are not accomplishing anything productive. Going to therapy can be a useful part of getting better but you are under no obligation to go to a specific therapist.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Oct 19, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

thehandtruck posted:

Sure yeah. I don't know if I could suggest like one definitive book on it; it's just foundational to most theories of mind. Basically the idea is that depression, anxiety, and psychosis are all coping mechanisms because they are "preferable" to the psyche than the alternative. For example:

Bob is a paper pusher at Raytheon. He hates the fact that his works contributes to vaporizing little brown children across the world. It is such an assault on his mind and soul that his psyche can't take it anymore. He becomes "depressed". He can't sleep, can't eat, and wouldn't you know it, he doesn't have the energy to go to work. He says, "I am depressed. I have depression." Maybe he understands it maybe he doesn't, doesn't matter at all though. The point is his psyche coped with the intolerable pain of hurting other humans by slowing him to such an emotional and physical state that he couldn't go to work anymore.

That's basically what I mean when I say depression is the coping mechanism. You have to look at what does the depression do for Bob, what systemic part does it play. It played a pretty big part here, and was pretty loving helpful at least from my pov.

But you can extend the vignette to go back to my original comment. What happens if Bob goes to a psychiatrist looking for depression medication? They give him depression medication! It helps a little bit, but he's still depressed because they medicated him and sent him off right back to work. Versus if he goes to a (good) therapist, they will probably say something like, "Oh weird...seems like you're more depressed the more you go to work...maybe that job isn't a good fit...maybe it's good you're not going in anymore..."

So just to sum up my wall of text: being "depressed" was more preferable to Bob's psyche than the knowledge that every second he spends at work he contributes to capitalism and the murder of human beings all over the world, so he became depressed to cope and fix the situation.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but this only works if you assume depression always has an external cause, which it doesn't.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Shifty Nipples posted:

This whole thing started because someone said I shouldn't expect to take antidepressants for the rest of my life and should instead change and stop being depressed. I was born with spina bifida I am not going to ever get better.

Oh yeah, I used to think that my pain wasn't severe enough to matter unless I was rolling on the ground crying but now that I am an adult I just lol and lmao at the low pain tolerance of many other people around me and I've never taken anything stronger than ibuprofen.

You are a fool.

I admit I didn't go back and read what you initially said in detail and in context until now. I played a game of telephone when I could have just gone back and read what you said in the first place. I think you raised valid points, and I misrepresented them in at least one of my posts. I'm sorry about that. I've found it's usually a safe bet to listen to and defer to people who have actually experienced something.

My sister has a shortened spinal cord, which I know is not the same thing. She has a slew of other issues, both related and unrelated to spinal cord issues. Her life can be unimaginably hellish at times. Spina bifida is some serious poo poo, and it sounds like you handle it better than most of us could. Thank you for your openness about something so intensely personal.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Ronwayne posted:

I'm sorry segata. To help you out, do you have a bank account, and would you be comfortable telling me the area you're in via PM?

Yes, I realize the above question can be sketchy as hell coming from a rando on the internet, but I'd need to know if gofundme and/or paypall is an option. If you're near most large cities there's usually a secular aid service somewhere nearby which I might be able to narrow down if I know the general area you're in/can be in.

Pm sent

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Where I used to work (in legal aid) we'd sometimes send clients to the Urban League, which had money for people in crisis and wasn't explicitly a religious organization. I don't know how well that would universalize outside of Pittsburgh, though. It was always a struggle trying to find actual substantive help and what little did exist was, admittedly, often from churches.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

You are a fool.

I have sympathy for your poo poo but this:

Shifty Nipples posted:

I am depressed because I have a permanent physical disability which means that society sees me as useless if not a burden. Because society is unlikely to change in a way that uplifts my worth and I am unlikely to become magically not physically disabled I will likely continue to suffer from depression. I am physically broken and frankly it is insulting to be told to get used to it.

...is a thing you can address with talk therapy. It has nothing to do with your physical stuff at all. The poo poo you posted here is about self esteem and your own sense of worth. Throwing your hands up and saying "well this is impossible to change" isn't just counterproductive and wrong, it could end up convincing you to hurt yourself.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Jorge Bell posted:

I have sympathy for your poo poo but this:

...is a thing you can address with talk therapy. It has nothing to do with your physical stuff at all. The poo poo you posted here is about self esteem and your own sense of worth. Throwing your hands up and saying "well this is impossible to change" isn't just counterproductive and wrong, it could end up convincing you to hurt yourself.

The tone of your original posting was not encouraging or helpful and several people called you out on it. Even here referring to challenging situations (the intersection of mental health with objectively difficult situations) as "your poo poo" is really belittling, so whatever tough love you envision yourself as offering is not coming off that way and you've already been told so, and that is your own shortcoming, not anyone else's weakness or desire to suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

As a reminder - I think it's extremely important to talk through any friction points we may encounter between each other.

I just ask that we be mindful of how we communicate as a whole, and to extend grace towards anyone that may or may not have misunderstood or misinterpreted what someone may have said.

There are folks who post, but even more that lurk. I wouldn't want anyone to be discouraged from using this awesome resource because of misunderstandings between those who utilize this thread to brainstorm, vent, or seek a shoulder to lean on.

Stay safe.