Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/drewhamlin/status/1450278038168485888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So like, here's a question. Now that we know that M1 Max is some Real poo poo and there's probably more to come, and there's going to be something real lunatic powerful in the eventual new Mac Pro that will let them make something the size of the Cube or the Trash Can that will absolutely melt everyone's faces, what actually is going to be lost in the move away from the PCIE/MPX form factor? Like, after all that did anyone actually do anything of note for the Pro crowd using MPX Modules or even just the space inside that thing, or was it basically just a slot to put bigass graphics cards in?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
High end AV ad-in boards are a thing, as are internal raid arrays. Both niche, but definitely fall under the "pro" usage scenario.

This huge music studio pro nerd definitely thinks he needs a rack mount Mac pro.
https://youtu.be/t2oEzNDYAoI

Edit: this is the better link https://youtu.be/kIQINCWMd6I

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 20, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man you guys are right, it’s within sixty days. Definitely going to pop AC+ on there as soon as my box is delivered. Glad I asked, then.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Man you guys are right, it’s within sixty days. Definitely going to pop AC+ on there as soon as my box is delivered. Glad I asked, then.

Good to know, I thought it was still a year too

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Arivia posted:

What would you recommend?

Oceanhorn 2 is a 3d zelda
Wonderbox is a 3d zelda maker
World of Demons is a Platinum Games (Bayonetta et al)
FANTASIAN is a full fat Mistwalker (OG Final Fantasy) JRPG
World's End Club is a full fat Izanagigames (Zero Escape, Daganronpa) platformer that is guaranteed to gently caress your brain with some insane story, I haven't started it yet
Clap Hanz Golf is Golf from the Everybody Golf / Hot Shots Golf people
What the Golf is better than golf
The Last Campfire is cute indie 3d puzzler adventure by Hello Games (No Man's Sky)
LEGO Builder's Journey is same but LEGO
Cozy Grove is a spookier Animal Crossing
Zookeeper World is mother loving zookeeper
Card of Darkness is a run-based card game from Zach Gage who makes insanely great games like Really Bad Chess and Pendleton Ward who made Adventure Time
Taiko no Tatsujin Pop Tap Beat is the latest version of that sick rear end japanese arcade rhythm game where you play a drum
Manifold Garden is a wonderful non-euclidian puzzle nightmare
A Monster's Expedition (Through Puzzling Expeditions) is a wonderful euclidian puzzle paradise
Mini Metro and Mini Motorways are what they say on the tin, loving awesome
Marble it up is a marble game
Grindstone is Life

these are just a handful of notable examples, there's so much amazing poo poo on there, there's more every week, and so much poo poo on my backlog it's actually insane, and you can play it on every device, with controllers if you want, and it syncs everywhere

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 20, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LRADIKAL posted:

High end AV ad-in boards are a thing, as are internal raid arrays. Both niche, but definitely fall under the "pro" usage scenario.

This huge music studio pro nerd definitely thinks he needs a rack mount Mac pro.
https://youtu.be/t2oEzNDYAoI

Edit: this is the better link https://youtu.be/kIQINCWMd6I

love how this cat is low-key wearing lifestyle bondage cuffs in all his videos

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Martytoof posted:

Man I tripped last year and sent my iPad Pro flying into a concrete floor like 200 days into AppleCare and they replaced it like it was nothing — You better believe I’m getting AC+ on my $3000 laptop :P

Oh word, I’m going to need to research real quick. No issues spending the money to protect, just figured I had a year to slap it on there :O

I'm going to do the $99/year on mine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is there really a need for a separate iMac Pro if the iMac comes with a ProMotion screen and an M1 Max? I get why it existed, but it seems unnecessary if the new iMacs line up with the new MBPs.

The iMac Pro has been dead since March, they killed it at the same time when they released the M1 iMac.

There is no iMac Pro anymore.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Thought that Gurman had said there were 64 and 128-core behemoths coming that were more appropriate for compact cheese grater III revs..
Yeah the rumor basically seems to line up with doing 2-4x M1 Max. Curious if it'll be some freakish monster interposer with all the dies and RAM chips or some other funky multi socket setup.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

binarysmurf posted:

Yup. Utterly bummed there wasn't a Mini release today. Maybe a soft release before EOY?

I feel like my company has money to burn for year end spending, and this announcement means that we'er going to end up getting 27" Intel iMac 2020's with i7s, because they have to spend the money by EOY and there is just not a M1 option that makes sense right now for a desktop setting.

FCKGW posted:

The iMac Pro has been dead since March, they killed it at the same time when they released the M1 iMac.

There is no iMac Pro anymore.

I don't even know why you would want a iMac Pro right now. It was nice having the power in 2017, but the iMac 2020 i7 and the M1 MacBook air seem on par with the iMac Pro for my company's usage.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

chaosbreather posted:

World's End Club is a full fat Izanagigames (Zero Escape, Daganronpa) platformer that is guaranteed to gently caress your brain with some insane story, I haven't started it yet
The Last Campfire is cute indie 3d puzzler adventure by Hello Games (No Man's Sky)
Card of Darkness is a run-based card game from Zach Gage who makes insanely great games like Really Bad Chess and Pendleton Ward who made Adventure Time
Taiko no Tatsujin Pop Tap Beat is the latest version of that sick rear end japanese arcade rhythm game where you play a drum
A Monster's Expedition (Through Puzzling Expeditions) is a wonderful euclidian puzzle paradise
Grindstone is Life

these are just a handful of notable examples, there's so much amazing poo poo on there, there's more every week, and so much poo poo on my backlog it's actually insane, and you can play it on every device, with controllers if you want, and it syncs everywhere

I wish dungeon raid was back but I’m gonna dig through this list sometime

jokes fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 20, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just a wild guess here but maybe the iMac and Mac Mini updates have to do with supply chain issues. I love the idea of a mega powerful mac mini since I already have a non-Apple 4k display.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Just a wild guess here but maybe the iMac and Mac Mini updates have to do with supply chain issues. I love the idea of a mega powerful mac mini since I already have a non-Apple 4k display.

yeah probably.

I could see them holding the iMac until spring in order to match the release of the 24” model, but I’m 90% sure the Mini got held back due to supply chain constraints

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I honestly think the Mac mini as we know it now is going to turn into the Mac Pro or at least something like it - the current M1 mini is a kludge, we've seen how little space the M series is going to actually need to operate, and you could probably get away with sticking that thing in something the size of an Apple TV if you could make the board to put it on. Meanwhile, if the M1 Pro/Max can run inside the MBP, they can run inside the current mini. It seems like there's no reason other than announcement pacing that they couldn't have just done a second mini kludge alongside the new MBPs if they wanted. As it is I feel like a decently reasonable scenario might be we see a new mini form factor launch alongside a new Air next year, probably with M2, and a Pro version of the current mini after that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fedule posted:

I honestly think the Mac mini as we know it now is going to turn into the Mac Pro or at least something like it - the current M1 mini is a kludge, we've seen how little space the M series is going to actually need to operate, and you could probably get away with sticking that thing in something the size of an Apple TV if you could make the board to put it on. Meanwhile, if the M1 Pro/Max can run inside the MBP, they can run inside the current mini. It seems like there's no reason other than announcement pacing that they couldn't have just done a second mini kludge alongside the new MBPs if they wanted. As it is I feel like a decently reasonable scenario might be we see a new mini form factor launch alongside a new Air next year, probably with M2, and a Pro version of the current mini after that.

The Mac Pro needs to be much more powerful than the MacBook Pro. I think there’s a space in the lineup for a powerful MBP-matching/beating desktop that isn’t an iMac and isn’t as beefy as a full-fat Mac Pro, and clearly Apple agrees because they’re still selling an Intel Mini that’s supposed to fill that role, and a Mac Pro that’s way more powerful.

If I had to guess, we’ll see Mac Mini and big iMac options for M1 Pro and M1 Max just like the MBPs. Maybe we’ll see a more powerful chip option that takes advantage of the desktop form factor.

But then I imagine we’re still getting those rumored 64-GPU core and 128-GPU core machines, and I can’t imagine that those would be for anything except a Mac Pro. Assuming those predictions are correct you’re probably looking at multiple M1 Pro/Max chips on a board rather than one colossal chip.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 20, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Finally have a big iMac rumor:
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/19/apple-27-inch-xdr-display-early-2022-rumor/

Tl;dr early 2022 27" mini LED 120Hz (well, variable like the other "ProMotion" displays, 24-120Hz)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Apple has been notoriously slow and irregular about updating the Mac Mini. We already have an Apple Silicon Mini. What, aside from wishful thinking, has people convinced that another Mini update is imminent? I think it’s far more likely that we’ll see the rest of the Mac line go to Apple chips before another Mini update.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Apple has been notoriously slow and irregular about updating the Mac Mini. We already have an Apple Silicon Mini. What, aside from wishful thinking, has people convinced that another Mini update is imminent? I think it’s far more likely that we’ll see the rest of the Mac line go to Apple chips before another Mini update.

Because the high end Intel Mini is still up for sale on the Apple site. What are they gonna replace it with, brain genius?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also I think there were some form of manufacturing documents for a new one that definitely wasn't the M1 Mini that got leaked when one of their suppliers was hacked.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

Grindstone is Life

I've never heard of any of these. Where tf is call of duty?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Oh I wonder if cod mobile is supported on the M1

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don’t think so

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I use the accelerometer to spin around in my office chair and get sweet 360 noscopes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are people actually complaining the new MacBooks are too thick?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

A few people pretending to be pros yes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm trying to think of a real or imagined scenario where the thickness matters.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Pretty much my only real complaint about how the new MBPs look is that I think the smooth rounding on the base of it doesn't look as good as the edge on the last model. That's about it really.

I hope they keep something like it on the next Air. The thin front edge of it looks super good, it's one of the times when their attempted super thin optical illusion actually works really well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I had some kind of thing that was form fitted to the existing MBPs I can see it might be an issue. Otherwise I think they’re SLIGHTLY thicker so maybe people think backwards progress?? I don’t think the difference will materially affect anyone who doesn’t have something that was made to hold a MBP and isn’t at least somewhat tolerant of an inch in either direction.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shaocaholica posted:

The internet is filled with people that would find something to complain about even if they lived in a complete fantasy world

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

I have welded myself into this room and the mail slot can only fit items that fit inside a manila envelope.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh, also, the new one doesn't seem to actually be thicker? The 13" M1 is listed as 1.56cm, the 14" M1 Pro at 1.55cm.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The edges are less chamfered

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Supposedly rounding the edges would give them a little more room to stuff with battery.
Personally I never liked the chamfered edges, it always felt like a knife digging into my hands when I held devices.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Shaocaholica posted:

The self-burns. They write themselves.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh no my heavily used and soiled $40 form fitted latex case doesn’t fit this new $2500 laptop. Hard pass

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

hatty posted:

The edges are less chamfered

At least it's made of aluminum still.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Fedule posted:

Oh, also, the new one doesn't seem to actually be thicker? The 13" M1 is listed as 1.56cm, the 14" M1 Pro at 1.55cm.

Correct. And it weighs the same as the old 2015 MacBook pros.

What I’m really curious is the difference between the chips in real world tasks. Like if I have a 200 layer photoshop project, will the max feel faster than the pro? Or as long as I have 32 gigs of ram, it won’t matter?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

sometimes weird stuff like this does matter. i keep opening my ipad with magic keyboard attached backwards, because most laptops have the thick part at the bottom and you lift the screen up from that - with the ipad assembly it's the reverse, so i have to double check myself before i wreck myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Pumped to start using a macbook pro as my DAW once again. Really prefer just being able to set up wherever I want rather than be forced to sit at my desk. Also new high impedance headphone jack means I can use 600 ohm headphones without an amp, so the only other thing I would need is a MIDI controller.