Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Brut posted:

Now granted I only went from Android 8 to 11 a few weeks ago when I got my 5a, so I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but isn't the whole point of an android phone in general that I can customize just about anything? It's baffling to me that ya'll are talking about a lockscreen you can't change, is that just the state of things these days or am I missing something?

The point of Android phones is that OEMs can customize just about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
My lockscreen clock has now changed from the awful stacked layout, to a different layout where everything's now shoved in the upper-left corner:

...I like it a little better than the 'old new one' but, I've a sinking feeling it'll go away if I restart the thing. It's still missing the option to change the system font, too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ya, that's what it looks like if you have a notification. Dismiss it and it goes back to the stacked layout

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

YouGov

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Had a spigen liquid air case on my 4XL, got the same one for the 6 (without realising it)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How have the speakers been like on past Pixels? My phone is my primary podcast listening device so I'm hoping for something decent.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Does the regular Pixel 6 have 30W wired charging?

Edit: NM, it does. Would I need a new cable for that or would the charger itself suffice?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 20, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Charger, as long as the cable can handle the higher wattage (most should/do).

I haven't used an in-box charger in years. Got a multi port 100+W to charge a bunch of stuff including laptop and that is plenty. Not worried about charge speed overnight. But going back to wireless charging will be nice.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Are the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro launchers really only 4 apps across? My Pixel 3, which is definitely smaller, is 5.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Merkinman posted:

Are the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro launchers really only 4 apps across? My Pixel 3, which is definitely smaller, is 5.

It's customizable

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just picked up two spigen pixel 6 pro cases, rugged armor and slim armor cs, and am very happy with both. I've bought like half a dozen spigen cases per year and they seem to be better quality than the recent Samsung ones. Really good texture and just enough protection.

Edit: ah poo the slim armor cs doesn't work with wireless charging. Should have known.

poo poo, is this confirmed? The Armor CS cases for other phones say that they work with wireless.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wait does the pixel 6 pro need a specific charger? I assume it didn't include one but everyone has fifty USB c chargers lying around their home so I don't mind but does it need a specific wattage or whatever? And will it charge with the original pixel stand?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It will use any USB -c charger just fine. If you want full 30w charging you will need a PPS capable charger.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I haven't seen any decent leather cases yet for the 6 Pro; I'm specifically looking for something like the case I had for my brief dalliance with iPhones (a snap-on shell style, not one of those wallet things). Anyone seen anything like that, other than the one that was on the Google store that had already "sold out" the moment the phones went live?

e: something like this

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
drat tmobile is doing $450 trade in for the 4a too

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless charger? I'd like something that just lays flat if at all possible

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sourdough posted:

It's customizable

it’s adjustable but at least on the pixel 5, i’ve run into a really annoying thing wrt new widgets: if you use the 4x5 grid, things like the weather and yt music widget are 2x3 and you can put them side by side. If you change to the 5x5 grid? those same widgets randomly become 3x3 so now you’re unable to ever have them side by side. google… pls…

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

So, they use the two bigs a once at a scaled down frequency to get better speed an efficiency as dual A76s at a MUCH lower thermal overhead.

It's going to be interesting as most 888s overheat in some fashion. I wonder if they are really overheating due to maxed out A78 cores running full tilt on multithreaded workloads which this dual X1 design might sidestep.

I've been trying to find the article I read a month or so back on this, but I'm coming up short. Basically, they put in dual A76 instead of the newer A78s, but on a smaller process. They theorized that you could get ~60-75% of the A78 over A76 gains just by going to the smaller process and that you might get some serious thermal wins along the way with the older core.

I'm hoping this pans out in real world usage, since I rarely game but do frequently find my 4XL getting bogged down processing photos or trying to do anything else while running Android Auto.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I do hope the concern about embargo being so long turns out to be unfounded and that the device is really excellent. I'd really be excited to have a SoC that can compete with Apple's mobile offerings and their Tensor chip does look very nice.

I'll wait and see where we're at when reviews start coming out. Either way I'll probably wait for black friday to see if we get any sales.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'll take efficient use of existing horsepower over specs any day.

The fastest chips in the world do gently caress-all for you if your software can't utilize them properly.

This is my daily hell. I manage really big fast servers that can do a shitton of work, but they're slightly slower for the application we use because their clocks are a tiny bit lower and the software is almost entirely dependent upon the bulk megahertz available.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

it’s adjustable but at least on the pixel 5, i’ve run into a really annoying thing wrt new widgets: if you use the 4x5 grid, things like the weather and yt music widget are 2x3 and you can put them side by side. If you change to the 5x5 grid? those same widgets randomly become 3x3 so now you’re unable to ever have them side by side. google… pls…

This is one of the reasons I still stick with Nova Launcher even though the native launchers aren't hot garbage any more. (Well that and anything below 7 icons to a row is barbaric).

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Don't complain about this too hard or you'll end up with the grid that iPad OS did where there is almost 3 inches on all sides.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Does Android 12 still have the option for three button navigation?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yep.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's worth it to note that Apple went to dual bigs awhile ago.

The single big prime core is a recent change by Qualcomm. That arrangement started with the SD855, but even that and the SD865 used the same arch as the mid cores, the prime core was just clocked higher with more cache.

With the SD888, they changed the arch of the prime core to X1 and made the mid cores A78 (from all A77 cores in the SD865).

The real question with all of this is what are Qualcomm's goals with this arrangement? Realistically, 98% of the stuff using an upper level snapdragon SoC is an Android device, so that's the target. However, it's seems as though they are more concerned with posting "percentage over last year numbers" that aren't fully quantified than actually delivering a package that provides consistent good performance in a manageable thermal envelope.

If light to moderate steady state workloads are the things that heat up and bog down devices, then the right strategy may be to run them on over spec but downclocked cores.

Mobile scheduling has always been scale up and race to finish so you can go back to sleep state, but planning your whole arch around that (like Qualcomm has done with a 1+3+4 arrangement) may be going too far as you are spending more thermal budget on moderate persistent tasks which is a real problem on passively cooled devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As the Ars article said though, this less about what the main SoC is doing and more about the algorithms they optimized for in the ML co-processor. This is significant.

You could say "but they did co-processor in the past" and that would be correct, but the difference here they are included on the SoC rather than an off chip DSP. That potentially means better access to memory and cache, direct connections between the main SoC and the co-processor for higher bandwidth and less latency.

The HDR video processing may be the best example of that. It simply may not have been possible to do with an off SoC DSP before since 4k60 video right off the sensor would be very bandwidth intensive.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

As the Ars article said though, this less about what the main SoC is doing and more about the algorithms they optimized for in the ML co-processor. This is significant.

You could say "but they did co-processor in the past" and that would be correct, but the difference here they are included on the SoC rather than an off chip DSP. That potentially means better access to memory and cache, direct connections between the main SoC and the co-processor for higher bandwidth and less latency.

The HDR video processing may be the best example of that. It simply may not have been possible to do with an off SoC DSP before since 4k60 video right off the sensor would be very bandwidth intensive.

Bandwidth intensive and latency sensitive. If on-chip means the latency is X, and off-chip means latency is X*2, it doesn't matter if X is a millisecond or a nanosecond, once any appreciable volume of tasks starts going through that path, double latency is murder on performance in a big goddamn hurry

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

In Android 12, the way the screen stretches and bounces when I reach the end of the page is making me seasick.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

FogHelmut posted:

In Android 12, the way the screen stretches and bounces when I reach the end of the page is making me seasick.

The description doesn't sound so bad, but it's too extreme an effect for something you see every time you scroll to the end of a page or list. The entire screen stretching is just too much.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

IDK what the end of scroll bounce animation is supposed to improve, it feels like a bored programmer said "look at this neat thing I did" and Google said "yeah that's definitely going into Android 12"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Oh my god I thought I was just imagining this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Holy poo poo. So I’m at best buy right now. They have the p6s on display

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Holy poo poo. So I’m at best buy right now. They have the p6s on display

Mess around with the camera?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sourdough posted:

Mess around with the camera?

I am, its drat nice. Its got 20x zoom.

I’ve got video and pics I’ll upload in a bit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh gently caress yes tell us everything!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

The audio for the 6pro is kinda low but it may be due to the music bby is playing in the background.

The phone got decently warm while using it but they JUST set them up so updates etc

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
:toot: pixel buds just shipped and should be here Friday. Gives me some confidence that the dates/availability for the phone are going to be accurate as well.

also

CLAM DOWN posted:

:emptyquote:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I actually came here to pick up my pixel buds because i was impatient/bored. This is a nice surprise tbh

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ohh tell me if I hosed up by cancelling my Pro for a 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Can y'all recommend some mid-tier, non-pixel Android phones?

Currently eyeballing the Samsung S21 regular, not sure if there are other competitors around that price point worth considering.