Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also it's funny that the show depicts advertising as just coming up with slogans for products like some sort of middle school language arts assignment instead of looking at numbers and demographics and figuring out how advertising to a specific percentage of the population might net them a slightly bigger market share in the long run.
Or just adding boobs to the commercials. It was the early 2000s after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny that "works at an advertising firm" is somehow a common thing on tv and in movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's funny that "works at an advertising firm" is somehow a common thing on tv and in movies.

It's the same as architect. It's shorthand for "creative, but successful."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phylodox posted:

It’s also a job with some apparent similarities to movie and tv production in how pitches must be prepared and delivered, which is probably appealing to people who make movies and tv, both because it’s close to what they know and because a high-stakes presentation is convenient for a dramatic or comedic climax. I have no idea if advertising is actually built around presentations to potential clients, but tv likes the idea.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember the brand of poison it is, but some months ago I started seeing this rat poison commercial on Hulu, where it shows a bunch of doll mice/rats in little family settings. Like, here's a family celebrating one kid graduating, here's a couple at a wedding, here's a family at a birthday party. And then the next shot of each, is each family dead from the poison, like little X's over their eyes included. IIRC, one even has the mom mouse crying while her family dies around her.

For mouse poison, effective commercial. But it just seems so weird in terms of mood whiplash.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
D-Con probably. I’m remembering some somewhat hosed up ads along those lines from them a few years ago.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Phylodox posted:

Advertising, architect, or vague do-nothing "works for a magazine".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Phylodox posted:

It also means they don't have to actually show any of their work. A writer could read out their stuff (and a musician would definitely have to perform) but a movie doesn't really have to justify not showing a fictional ad.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I don't foresee ever watching an episode of Ordinary Joe, but I think it's funny that the premise is "A person's life could branch off in infinite directions and we're going to illustrate that by going with the three most over represented jobs in TV: a cop, a doctor, and an entertainer"

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It also means they don't have to actually show any of their work. A writer could read out their stuff (and a musician would definitely have to perform) but a movie doesn't really have to justify not showing a fictional ad.

Jack and Jill proved that in fact, you could use a fictional ad in a movie to shill for a real world brand. It's just that the end result should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

it's not a poorly aged joke per se, but this talk about jobs and income reminded me how one thing that really bugged me about the frank grimes episode of the simpsons was how frank apparently made peanuts, despite working at a goddamned nuclear power plant. sure they make that great joke with him living between two bowling alleys, but as funny as it is, it makes no sense. grimes barely being able to afford an apartment in less than prime real estate made way less sense to me, even as a little kid, than homer being able to live in a 4 br house. again, both these people work in a goddamned nuclear power plant!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mr Interweb posted:

it's not a poorly aged joke per se, but this talk about jobs and income reminded me how one thing that really bugged me about the frank grimes episode of the simpsons was how frank apparently made peanuts, despite working at a goddamned nuclear power plant. sure they make that great joke with him living between two bowling alleys, but as funny as it is, it makes no sense. grimes barely being able to afford an apartment in less than prime real estate made way less sense to me, even as a little kid, than homer being able to live in a 4 br house. again, both these people work in a goddamned nuclear power plant!

Yeah something about Grimes' life situation didn't quite add up (he's still a young white dude with a college degree in the 90s, right?) I do like the harsh irony that he's so angry at Homer for coasting by even though he only got a job because Burns saw him on a TV special and then that job was given to a dog who seemed to do just fine at it. Even after his death he presumably went unreplaced and the plant went on without him as if he hadn't ever been there (well that's just episodic tv, but still).

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

I saw a Tweet the day Musk and Grimes broke up that simply said "Or Grimey as she liked to be called" And I cracked up. That's all I have to share.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Wasn't he always in the hospital for various unlucky injuries? Medical bills.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
He also had a second night job at a foundry

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

And child support payments.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Zil posted:

And child support payments.

Wait, what?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Frank Grimes's son showed up in a later episode. But it was in like season 20 or something, so you're better off for not having seen it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
He happened to like hookers okay.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
One thing that’s common in 90s stuff is an early episode of Friends where Chandler suffers angst over getting offered a management job at his big corporation because it means he has to stare at numbers all day. He’s 27 and he’s probably making over $100k a year with no prior experience! There’s like a million millennials who’d slit his throat for that job now.

Also, Ross sucks rear end, which everyone knows, but Chandler & Monica become intensely unlikable almost as soon as they start dating.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s some shows that were pretty good at showing how the average family might have enough to get by, but luxuries and fancy vacations weren’t common. Malcolm in the Middle I really liked because it felt like my home setup growing up.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
The episode of Everybody Hates Chris where his dad does the bills that month and pays most of them off, but then his mom explains they now have no money for groceries or gas and stuff basically sat me down and explained my parents financial situation to me

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Calaveron posted:

Also it's funny that the show depicts advertising as just coming up with slogans for products like some sort of middle school language arts assignment instead of looking at numbers and demographics and figuring out how advertising to a specific percentage of the population might net them a slightly bigger market share in the long run.
Or just adding boobs to the commercials. It was the early 2000s after all.

Nobody actually wants TV to show the boring parts of jobs.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mr Interweb posted:

The boomer living in a 4 br house while the recent college grad barely keeping a roof over his head at an equivalent position seems to be more accurate with time.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

zakharov posted:

Nobody actually wants TV to show the boring parts of jobs.

Oh god the only parts of my job they’d show on tv are the worst parts, the meetings.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

The episode of Everybody Hates Chris where his dad does the bills that month and pays most of them off, but then his mom explains they now have no money for groceries or gas and stuff basically sat me down and explained my parents financial situation to me

Conversely the 90s movie trope of "father is putting in too many hours at the office in order to support a family, two cars, and a 2500 square foot house on a single income. this is a moral failing because he missed the big soccer game" is absolutely bizarre to witness

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Alexander Hamilton posted:

One thing that’s common in 90s stuff is an early episode of Friends where Chandler suffers angst over getting offered a management job at his big corporation because it means he has to stare at numbers all day. He’s 27 and he’s probably making over $100k a year with no prior experience! There’s like a million millennials who’d slit his throat for that job now.

Also, Ross sucks rear end, which everyone knows, but Chandler & Monica become intensely unlikable almost as soon as they start dating.
Execution for each and every f•r•i•e•n•d they all suck poo poo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Execution for each and every f•r•i•e•n•d they all suck poo poo

Ross didn't seem super terrible at first, then he was getting worse and the show got so bad in general I stopped watching

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

pretty soft girl posted:

Conversely the 90s movie trope of "father is putting in too many hours at the office in order to support a family, two cars, and a 2500 square foot house on a single income. this is a moral failing because he missed the big soccer game" is absolutely bizarre to witness

Yeah 100%, and made even less sense as a kid because I knew it was obviously a good job and they were under a lot of pressure. I think it's a combination of successful movie execs not knowing what normal life is like, and that "work is the only thing in the way of having a happy family life" is easier to write than "I am a failure of a man because I chased my father's expectations, exceeded them, and yet still feel like my identity is shuffling between bed and work while keeping up with the Jonses keeps the debt piling up".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Frank Grimes's son showed up in a later episode. But it was in like season 20 or something, so you're better off for not having seen it.

Late series Simpsons, not even once.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Yeah 100%, and made even less sense as a kid because I knew it was obviously a good job and they were under a lot of pressure. I think it's a combination of successful movie execs not knowing what normal life is like, and that "work is the only thing in the way of having a happy family life" is easier to write than "I am a failure of a man because I chased my father's expectations, exceeded them, and yet still feel like my identity is shuffling between bed and work while keeping up with the Jonses keeps the debt piling up".

it's definitely 100% accurate to real life, plenty of redneck women get super pissed that their husbands have to work oil pipelines to pay bills while they stay at home. just watch teen mom lol

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The boomer living in a 4 br house while the recent college grad barely keeping a roof over his head at an equivalent position seems to be more accurate with time.

I dunno if you've paid attention to the news but homer was a teenager in the 90s. No way is he a boomer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frank Grimes becomes a lot less sympathetic realising he takes all his rage out on Homer and not the guy who pays him

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frank Grimes becomes a lot less sympathetic realising he takes all his rage out on Homer and not the guy who pays him

This is why I don't discuss how much I make with coworkers. There's been too many times they get furious with me and make it A Thing

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Josef bugman posted:

it's been longer between that episode and today than it was between that episode and the first episode

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40sJOkxnac&hd=1

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

it's been longer between that episode and today than it was between that episode and the first episode

Jesus. The Simpsons has been on too long, and should just stop in general.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Josef bugman posted:

Yes

hawowanlawow posted:

it's definitely 100% accurate to real life, plenty of redneck women get super pissed that their husbands have to work oil pipelines to pay bills while they stay at home. just watch teen mom lol

No

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes, even with his initial, reasonable issue being Homer's dangerous incompetence. He's misplacing his financial anger on Homer, should probably focus his efforts on getting Homer properly trained or replaced rather than embarrassed, and went to his house for dinner despite hating him and thinking he's an imminent threat to nuclear safety to pathetically berate him in front of his family.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The frank grimes son episode actually had a joke that made me laugh a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jOzN0QEhuE&t=146s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
There is a fan theory that Homer gets residual income from the B Sharps album.