Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

wow, committing himself for two whole months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My eyes glazed over about two paragraphs into that guy's article, shortly after he compared Tony Khan to Dixie Carter. I skimmed the rest and boy there's a lot of caps lock.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
There is absolutely no way you could get ethics approval for gonzo sociology

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Mr. Tito just really wants to be the guy who leaks Rampage’s fast nationals one of these weeks.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Spermgod posted:

the dumbest people in the world think they’ve found the smoking gun with this random out of context tweet. see the qrts https://twitter.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1116504205043195904

I am curious what the original context is. I'm trying to comprehend his meaning here. Dave said a dumb wrong thing once is not exactly a revelation, but it's weird for him to be this wrong about this kind of thing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
WWE being the most professional and business-like wrestling organisation is kind of a bad take given what people have said about the difference between AEW and WWE's backstage environment

but the truly bad (non-wrestling) idiocy happens immediately after

with this as the bizarre capper (spoiled for some transphobia adjacent stupidity)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i agree that WWE is the most professional and business-like wrestling promotion, but in a bad way

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: nm, stupid post

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/nodqdotcom/status/1450808798797512710

And all the replies are about how AEW Racist.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I had a feeling as soon as TEE BAR had that dumbass twitter exchange with Sammy Guevara that WWE hurried to sign Casanova before Sammy got him booked on Dark.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

More importantly that guy's replying to a tweet that's three years old

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i agree that WWE is the most professional and business-like wrestling promotion, but in a bad way

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

idk anything about the guy but i know some things about this vince mcmahon fella and

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

idk anything about the guy but i know some things about this vince mcmahon fella and

ohnonono

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

folks my wrestling tweets are about to get... a little twisetd... :thajoker:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

wow, so edgy, it's like I'm back in high school or whatever

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

the gloves are coming off

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

wow with that kind of engagement i bet TK and Vince will have to stand up and take notice

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Venomous posted:

wow, so edgy, it's like I'm back in high school or whatever

poo poo, I think I was in high school when this guy started his daily columns, and I’m an old now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/DubyaDubyaEee/status/1450933750955642886

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/nodqdotcom/status/1450808798797512710

And all the replies are about how AEW Racist.

I have my doubts considering there is nothing on his wikipedia page between his debut 7 years ago and his signing with WWE. Now I'm not up to date with the indies but did he have any buzz going for him prior to signing with WWE?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Testekill posted:

I have my doubts considering there is nothing on his wikipedia page between his debut 7 years ago and his signing with WWE. Now I'm not up to date with the indies but did he have any buzz going for him prior to signing with WWE?

Yeah, he was picking up steam on the northeast indies.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sometimes I think Dave should stop responding to Twitter rando's and sometimes Dave just caasually destroys them that I want him to respond forever

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1450967034389405697

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Reminder that this joke was made over 27 years ago and at the time it aired everybody got it because everybody understands how demographic ratings work (more people understand this than marginal tax rates!) so the idea that people REALLY don't understand why 18-49 ratings are the most important is just ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t28ZB1t6gg8

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Jerusalem posted:

Reminder that this joke was made over 27 years ago\

no gently caress you

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jerusalem posted:

Reminder that this joke was made over 27 years ago and at the time it aired everybody got it because everybody understands how demographic ratings work (more people understand this than marginal tax rates!) so the idea that people REALLY don't understand why 18-49 ratings are the most important is just ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t28ZB1t6gg8

No

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Testekill posted:

The only time I had really heard his name was when Donovan Dickhead was going after Sammy for "stealing his finisher" but I'm not super well versed with the indies either.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

doofuses like this 100% did not watch wrestling during the WCW/WWF wars. Tony is a gentleman compared to poo poo like Bischoff trying to goad Vince into a shoot karate match.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mr Tito was who I got my scoops from through the Monday night wars so he should know better.
I regret taking a mr Tito sign to thunder.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bischoff dodged a bullet on that one.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

lmao https://twitter.com/kctypcrrry/status/1450952065971326978?t=XQFCkziAbyDezcXpmK2y9g&s=19

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I love how WWE Twitter is, at the same time, ripping off both "overly woke 2014 twitter" and "obnoxious weird 2015 twitter," and it's all done by – if we are to believe them – people who aren't anywhere near the current viewing demographic of old Trumpers falling asleep in front of the TV.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Very racist of these middle aged white folks to voice their disinterest in WWE for two straight decades and not stop immediately when some BIPOCs get a push.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think that's another Trolling to boost Onlyfans traffic deals.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/SI_wrestling/status/1450931081943859205

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

i JuSt WaNt GoOd WrEsTlInG oKaY

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

i JuSt WaNt GoOd WrEsTlInG oKaY

At this point I think it is funnier to see people pretending a Saudi show might be good than hand waving the implications of the show.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

At this point I think it is funnier to see people pretending a Saudi show might be good than hand waving the implications of the show.

It might be morally wrong and none of the previous shows have been good but this time the list of matches that look good on paper will be executed competently or better.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Surely we will see the triumphant return of *checks notes* Dan Matha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

I'm on twitter and this lady keeps getting upset about the lack of time some of the matches received for the women's Queen of the Ring. Everyone is just rallying around her like it's a travesty. It's like she lacks any common sense and looks at the length of time given instead of why those matches are short.

Most of the women in this tournament had some veteran presence worked at getting over newer wrestlers. (I'm going to dive into what I saw and how I felt, so this could be TLDR warning)

If Zelina Vega vs Toni Storm went the full 5-7 minutes, Vega is going to get lost/overwhelmed. She needs seasoning and she's getting that at house shows.

Carmella/Liv Morgan is more or less a story point and they'll have a segment or two blow off match. It might be a preshow match, but it's building toward that.

Shayna/Dana Brooke is the only match I wish went longer because Dana is underutilized and a very solid worker. Shayna is just a bully and a psycho heel; reminds me of the Heel version of a face version of Ken Shamrock.

Nattie/Doudrop went 3 minutes, it was a surprise win. It was built as that. That's story telling. Who's to say they won't have a 10-15 minute match down the line? Why rush it in this KOTR.

Mella vs Vega went about the length it could have gone. Vega again is green and needs seasoning. Why expose your winner in the semi final...

For Doudrop + Shayna to go longer than 5 minutes, it's probably not going to be a good look for either. Shayna is still very limited unfortunately. Doudrop has a good move pool but lacks ring awareness which comes with time and seasoning in regards to production. Putting together a quick match allows for both to have a platform while not exposing either. Shayna needs some work and Doudrop needs some seasoning.

The finals was Zelina vs Doudrop and it was about what I expected. I mean what more does the audience want? Zelina is too limited.

Every match beside Dana/Shayna was what I thought it would be and I was left wanting to see some follow up matches like a Nattie/Doudrop round 2. Zelina is being elevated by a prop because as a wrestler, she's failed to get herself over with any type of character (as a manager, she's amazing and I want to see that version of her). Highlighting the lack of ring time with a clock is just silly and irresponsible. I'm tired of 'these women don't get enough time' narrative without taking into consideration what's actually being done.

Sasha, Becky, Charlotte, Nattie, and when she returns, Bailey are the best women in the WWE right now. Bianca is definitely getting there. The thing is, they've all had short matches to build them up instead of exposing them when we were introduced to them for the first couple of years. WWE style takes time, so stop being a dumb mark and think about how everything is booked out and built.