Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Frieren is really one of the best currently publishing manga, in my opinion. Its wholesome approach is very refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Having recently tried to drink a shitload of PBR in one day (don’t ask), this chapter resonates with me on a structural level.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Have a life or death contest to see who can get into the northern territories, and once you're there, every Tom, Dick, and Harry is just meandering about.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
obviously, every single person we've seen has been a great mage.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if you REALLY want to see what they found, google up Stewart's Mountain Brew Beer Ice

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Mister Olympus posted:

ah, elf malort

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ThingOne posted:

From the sound of it it was more like Elf Thunderbird.

The attitude of "This is terrible! I'm going to get all my friends to drink it!" reads more as malort to me.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
She stuck it out for 3 months knowing exactly what the payoff was going to be. Now that's dedication to a bit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

She stuck it out for 3 months knowing exactly what the payoff was going to be. Now that's dedication to a bit.

I mean, elves are borderline immortal. Dedication to a bit is almost a requirement if they're not going to go insane.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
They haven't had an extensive fishing sidequest yet, right? Actually, it will be part of the main quest, since you need a scale of the Jahrtausend Stör to open the final door.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, elves are borderline immortal. Dedication to a bit is almost a requirement if they're not going to go insane.

Sure but she was initially hesitant in consideration of her much-shorter-lived companions, though in the end she knew they'd see the humor in it too. Her character growth has been so good to watch. She's slowly learning to relate to people!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 70
Rule #1 for long-lived races, be very mindful of taking loans with interest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hooray, soft bread for everyone!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Goddamnit all these wholesome comics get to slavery sooner or later don’t they. And Frieren seems totally fine with it, welp I guess it’s time to put this one down.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

that seems like an overreaction but I won't stop you

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Fellis posted:

Goddamnit all these wholesome comics get to slavery sooner or later don’t they. And Frieren seems totally fine with it, welp I guess it’s time to put this one down.

I honestly can't tell whether or not you're being serious here.

I blame the internet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rubellavator posted:

that seems like an overreaction but I won't stop you

If he is being serious then I assume he's talking about the fact the company owner forced Frieren to work in a mine to pay off her debts, and it's worth pointing out the little nitpick that "indentured servitude is not the same thing as slavery". In fact, it was kind of a thing for a while a year or two back with a meme going around about how Irish people had been "slaves" too, because many Irish people had been forced to work on plantations to pay off debt around the time America was really starting to import slaves from Africa. Having to work a decade or three to pay off debt, and/or having even the prospect of buying your way out of the situation eventually, along with roughly equal treatment under the law once you did is a far cry from "I own you forever; along with all your kids" though.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Really concerned about the implications of forced labor on an imaginary elf

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
we have real elves to worry about

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The real slavery is Capitalism.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

tsob posted:

If he is being serious then I assume he's talking about the fact the company owner forced Frieren to work in a mine to pay off her debts, and it's worth pointing out the little nitpick that "indentured servitude is not the same thing as slavery". In fact, it was kind of a thing for a while a year or two back with a meme going around about how Irish people had been "slaves" too, because many Irish people had been forced to work on plantations to pay off debt around the time America was really starting to import slaves from Africa. Having to work a decade or three to pay off debt, and/or having even the prospect of buying your way out of the situation eventually, along with roughly equal treatment under the law once you did is a far cry from "I own you forever; along with all your kids" though.
I wonder how many other anime tend to portray thralldom rather than chattel slavery.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I mean, considering the merchant happily sold someone into debt slavery over a debt that's mostly interest on a loan taken out before he was even born, the manga probably portrayed him in waaay to positive a light. He's still an rear end in a top hat. But yeah, that kind of indentured servitude is an order of magnitude different from chattel slavery.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the pretense of forcing frieren into debt slavery was completely pointless. it was his mine to begin with! he didn't have to keep the fact that they were exploring it a secret, much less frieren's involvement. if this dude's idea of a business deal is an elaborate meaningless charade instead of negotiation, i don't think the soft bread access will last very long.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hey now, that charade almost succeeded in getting Frieren's powerful friends to attack his business, causing great property damage and possibly injury! So you see he's actually very uh not sure where I was going with this.

I suppose the author just wanted to trick the reader and wasn't able to think of a better way to do it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Or the businessman was trying to get Frieren to be more receptive to using magic to help him and get out from her debt quickly, instead of just burying her head for a few years. Which is not entirely without basis, since Frieren has been shown to be reluctant to use her magic to help people several times, and Elves in general don't give a poo poo about time.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Sindai posted:

Hey now, that charade almost succeeded in getting Frieren's powerful friends to attack his business, causing great property damage and possibly injury! So you see he's actually very uh not sure where I was going with this.

I suppose the author just wanted to trick the reader and wasn't able to think of a better way to do it.

Eh, how else would he get her to help him recover his business? I mean we know all he would have to do is ask, but we have been following Frieren for literally decades. From his perspective, she is an extremely powerful and famous mage travelling nearby on unrelated business and with absolutely no reason to help him. So he used the debt to get her to cooperate while hoping she was enough of an upstanding person to not simply say "no" and run away. Or break out. Or murder him.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

pretty much. This is at least the second time she forgot that she's an ungodly powerful mage and was taken against her will.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjoatse.cx posted:

pretty much. This is at least the second time she forgot that she's an ungodly powerful mage and was taken against her will.

I doubt she forgot; she just doesn't care. What's a few years to someone who'll live several millenia? It's the equivalent of a few hours to her compared to a human lifetime. Maybe even a few minutes.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Fellis posted:

lmao hell yea homie speak truth to power 💯💯

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's not a good chapter but Frieran's "oh well, my journey ends here..." panel is funny

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fellis posted:

Say you've have an incredibly nightmarish experience with the American Prison System without saying that you've had an incredibly nightmarish experience with the American Prison System.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Should have used turn-that-guys-bone-marrow-into-molten-lead magic.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I also think for Freiren 300 years is nothing, so she's just going along with flow. She could easily fight back and blow the nation up if she wanted to, but she just wants to see what happens. I'm pretty sure if the lord really expected her to work 300 years it wouldn't end well.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It was just a goofy interlude. She could have gotten out at any time, if she'd wanted to do so.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah I'm just going to assume she was playing along because she knew sooner or later this guy was going to ask her for the real favor, like every single other mayoral-type figure has done everywhere else she goes.

"Oh hey good to see you. We were about to wreak extreme unholy violence. Moving on, then" was the payoff for me.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Seems like a silly setup because the mangaka wanted to draw Frieren wielding a pickaxe with her "oh dang" expression.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Yeah I'm just going to assume she was playing along because she knew sooner or later this guy was going to ask her for the real favor

Also this.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Mimics spawn in dungeons and mines are close enough to dungeons, hence this is a missed opportunity

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Maybe debt slavery is just something elves have gotten used to having to endure as a cost living so long. That one swole monk elf was probably as rail thin as Frieren until he had to spend a couple century's swinging a pickaxe to pay off a boat loan.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

jesus christ you fuckin dorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fellis posted:

jesus christ you fuckin dorks