Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Well I did have problems with text, but I couldn't pinpoint my issue besides reading being tiring and giving me headaches (even at low brightness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah... I don't really agree with people who recommend the 1440p nano IPS line most of the time. They're overpriced, and you need to get them open box in order to get somewhat decent deals. And then when you get them, the contrast is always disappointing. I was mistaken when I said that newer LG displays have better contrast. I just checked RTINGS and Hardware Unboxed, and the newer ones have 800:1 contrast ratios or worse, too.

They DO have very fast response times. That's their main benefit, but that's honestly not worth the trade offs in my opinion. You're likely to notice the lower contrast much more than slightly faster response times.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rinkles posted:

Well I did have problems with text, but I couldn't pinpoint my issue besides reading being tiring and giving me headaches (even at low brightness).

The contrast just seems off -- the blacks don't seem as dark as my old Dell UltraSharp.

I did check to see that HDR was enabled both in Windows and on the monitor, and it still makes everything look dim and washed out no matter which preset I use. Most of the articles I read about it said "don't bother with HDR mode on an IPS panel".

Oddly, the "HDR Effect" preset on the monitor (which does not actually turn on HDR mode) looks the best of all the presets. It's bright with good contrast, and text is more readable.

The monitor is used about 50% for text (mostly the Email and the SA forums) and 50% for gaming, so I'll give it a few days and play a few games and see how it feels.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah... I don't really agree with people who recommend the 1440p nano IPS line most of the time. They're overpriced, and you need to get them open box in order to get somewhat decent deals. And then when you get them, the contrast is always disappointing. I was mistaken when I said that newer LG displays have better contrast. I just checked RTINGS and Hardware Unboxed, and the newer ones have 800:1 contrast ratios or worse, too.

They DO have very fast response times. That's their main benefit, but that's honestly not worth the trade offs in my opinion. You're likely to notice the lower contrast much more than slightly faster response times.
Darn. I thought I'd done my homework, but I'm feeling a little let down by the monitor. I freaking love my LG OLED TV. I know it's a different technology (and probably a different product division altogether), but I had high hopes for this monitor.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 19, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The IPS glow was another major issue for me, but as I understand it that can vary wildly between individual monitors.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like the Nano IPS panels. I also had to goof with both windows and Chrome's text rendering after I switched panels though. It was all hosed up at first. comically, Win 11 seems to have it much more figured out. Also make sure you turn down the brightness (all monitors come out of the box way way too high), but if you dont like the look of it, just return it and get something else.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cygni posted:

I like the Nano IPS panels. I also had to goof with both windows and Chrome's text rendering after I switched panels though. It was all hosed up at first. comically, Win 11 seems to have it much more figured out. Also make sure you turn down the brightness (all monitors come out of the box way way too high), but if you dont like the look of it, just return it and get something else.

Yeah. Every preset has the brightness turned crazy high. I went to the Vivid preset and bumped down the brightness about 20%, and it looks much better. The "gaming" presets look atrocious when doing anything in Windows.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Okay it's been a couple months since I did my last market search for good monitors, didn't really find anything, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any good ideas for monitors to replace or at least take primary responsibility from my very old Dell U2715H.

I have a MacBook Pro (soon to be the new 14", maxed out) and a desktop PC with a 3090. So I want something that's going to let me get my money's worth from both. I design, code and test websites, apps and games; play games; and make other kinds of media, in that that order. Curved screens are out and so I think are OLED from the burn-in poo poo I've been hearing. During day, it's a pretty bright room with a window behind the monitor. I live in Sydney, Australia. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can do a little better on contrast with some other displays, but the only option for actually high contrast with actually high refresh performance are Samsung Odyssey displays. If you want to spend $600 on a 27" 1440p display where you have to keep your head in the sweet spot, they are the best gaming monitor you can get. They're still nowhere near the contrast of OLED, and color/contrast will shift as you move your head off axis, but overall the performance is incredible. Aside from that it's all incremental tradeoffs without differences that are IMO all that significant.

These sort of experiences are why you always buy from Amazon or similar, though. Hassle free returns are a huge deal in monitors. Even in a store you're not getting a good idea of what your experience in your environment with your specific monitor will be like.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 20, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

Okay it's been a couple months since I did my last market search for good monitors, didn't really find anything, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any good ideas for monitors to replace or at least take primary responsibility from my very old Dell U2715H.

I have a MacBook Pro (soon to be the new 14", maxed out) and a desktop PC with a 3090. So I want something that's going to let me get my money's worth from both. I design, code and test websites, apps and games; play games; and make other kinds of media, in that that order. Curved screens are out and so I think are OLED from the burn-in poo poo I've been hearing. During day, it's a pretty bright room with a window behind the monitor. I live in Sydney, Australia. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Grab the M32U or M28U, Gigabyte's 32 and 28-inch 4K monitors (oops, the M28U is already sold out again, it was only up for a day or two). You'll appreciate the extra resolution for your work, and the 3090 can handle current games at 4K without much of a sweat.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

WhiteHowler posted:

I did check to see that HDR was enabled both in Windows and on the monitor, and it still makes everything look dim and washed out no matter which preset I use. Most of the articles I read about it said "don't bother with HDR mode on an IPS panel".

Oddly, the "HDR Effect" preset on the monitor (which does not actually turn on HDR mode) looks the best of all the presets. It's bright with good contrast, and text is more readable.

HDR in Windows basically doesn't work (or rather, it sort of technically works but it does nothing useful) and even if it did work it wouldn't look very good on an LCD panel with no local dimming (which is almost all of them), so just leave it turned off forever. It's not really a thing on PC, and the "HDR400" certification is basically a scam that means the monitor will accept a HDR input but doesn't actually have the dynamic range to actually be meaningfully called "high" dynamic range.

You can get slightly higher contrast ratios on some other high refresh rate IPS panels (1000:1 or 1100:1, say), but I'm not sure how noticeable the difference is. If you don't have more money than sense though you're stuck with IPS and its lovely contrast ratio for the time being. TN is less bad than it used to be but still bad, VA has horrible smearing problems in dark areas unless you buy the aforementioned hella expensive Samsung panels with ridiculous curvatures (because it color shifts off axis), and high refresh rate OLED panels in sizes suitable for desktop monitors do not exist (and if they did they'd cost well north of $3k and need to be replaced every other year or so).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 20, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm pretty sure HDR in windows does work, and the failure lies in the monitors. Or maybe it's both. Tone mapping and gamma correction values are not being communicated and implemented correctly with some monitors, and this has nothing to do with whether they're IPS. There are some IPS monitors where HDR mode isn't broken, such as my Acer Predator XB273U GX.

That's not to say that the HDR mode on the GX is good (because it's not), but the image doesn't get dimmer or more washed out with it enabled. SDR content looks exactly the same as it does when clamped to the sRGB color space, and HDR content is capable of utilizing the wider DCI-P3 color space, providing more vivid visuals (in a real, properly tone-mapped manner, and not oversaturated). The contrast is the same in both SDR and HDR, though.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Grab the M32U or M28U, Gigabyte's 32 and 28-inch 4K monitors (oops, the M28U is already sold out again, it was only up for a day or two). You'll appreciate the extra resolution for your work, and the 3090 can handle current games at 4K without much of a sweat.

I read about these a while back but love nor money couldn’t get them. I just did a quick stock check with my favourite store checker and it turns out my local as the 32 in stock, so I just snagged one. Cheers!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

The monitor is used about 50% for text (mostly the Email and the SA forums) and 50% for gaming, so I'll give it a few days and play a few games and see how it feels.

Darn. I thought I'd done my homework, but I'm feeling a little let down by the monitor. I freaking love my LG OLED TV. I know it's a different technology (and probably a different product division altogether), but I had high hopes for this monitor.

I loaded up a few games last night to see how the new LG 27GL850-B looks.

It is... spectacular. And that's almost disappointing, because I'd already suspected I'd be returning it based on its Windows performance.

First up was Far Cry New Dawn. The colors look great. Somehow the contrast in most areas -- especially dark ones -- is better than it was on my Dell UltraSharp. I don't have an explanation for this, but night-time scenes just look nicer, even when not moving the camera around (so it's not the adaptive framerate at work).

Next was Back 4 Blood. The framerate isn't QUITE as smooth, as it's a new game with high graphics demand, so it probably wasn't maxing out the framerate. Colors looked vivid and accurate, and again the dark environments were more "readable" than I'm used to.

I also played a couple hours of Anno 1800 co-op, which -- predictably -- doesn't really benefit from a better monitor. Text was quite readable and scaled up to the new resolution, though I noticed that the max zoom-out level is still the same, which means everything looked a little smaller.

The adaptive framerate drastically improved motion smoothness in both of the FPS games, though that would probably be the case with any high-framerate, adaptive-sync monitor. Going from a flat 60 FPS (with V-Sync) to adaptive up to 144 Hz is much more impressive than I'd expected. Everything is just so smooth.

So now I'm a conflicted about keeping this one. If I use the "HDR Effect" display preset and bump the brightness down 25-30%, Windows looks pretty good.

Dark text still isn't "dark enough", and whites look a little more yellow than they should. But drat, that gaming performance.

It's so close to being the monitor I was hoping for, and I got it for a great price. I have a long return window on this one, so I'm going to keep it for a while and keep tinkering with the settings.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I ended up getting a LG 27GL83A-B which I think is similar to that one. It's arriving tomorrow so I'm excited. I have an Acer XB271hu and some cheap LG 4K monitor as a secondary. I wasn't going to sidegrade/upgrade but it was like $299 Canadian thanks to a price error so I went for it. Hopefully I'm not disappointed. It was pretty impulsive and I didn't even have time to notice there are no USB ports for my bias lighting but I'll just use a hub or something.

Glad to hear you like yours Howler, I think the GL850 and mine are mostly the same aside from wide color gamut and USB ports. I mostly game on mine anyway and it sounds like from online reviews that its a slight upgrade to the Acer I have.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Rakeris posted:

I've not heard that? Asus did a warranty repair (replacement actually) on my PG279Q that I bought from Amazon warehouse.

Thanks for the confirmation, that's good to know. I guess I just assumed based on how some OEMs look at third party sales/ownership. What about Amazon's current extended holiday return window through January 31st? Does that apply to Warehouse too, or just new items?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah. Every preset has the brightness turned crazy high. I went to the Vivid preset and bumped down the brightness about 20%, and it looks much better. The "gaming" presets look atrocious when doing anything in Windows.

My current settings with an 83A (same monitor without a USB plug and slightly different menu presets) are:

RTings ICC profile installed
Windows HDR off forever
Nvidia control panel Gsync on, vsync forced on, framerate caped to 141

Gamer 1 profile
Black stabilizer 20
Adaptive sync on
Response time fast
Brightness 50
Contrast 54
Sharpness 50
Gamma Mode 2
Red 54
Green 50
Blue 47
DFC Off
Energy saving off

I calibrated a year ago, but changed some settings since then. Probably due for a new calibration pass with the colorimeter.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I was thinking about getting a second monitor for a dual monitor setup, but I wanted to ask about what monitor I should get, and if my setup will support it.

The monitor I currently use is an ASUS VP247 (1920x1080@60Hz, I think 23.6 inches). that I bought a few years back. I thought about buying a straight duplicate, but I imagine they're no longer available. The first result on Amazon I get when searching for 'asus vp247' is the ASUS VP278QG 27”, but some of the reviews cite issues with various things like the stand, color settings, backlight bleed, etc.

In the related results, I saw a listing for a monitor from Sceptre, but I don't know anything about that brand, and it has a higher refresh rate (75Hz), so I don't know if that causes any issues, or if having monitors from two different brands causes conflicts.

In terms of like hardware, I've got an Intel Core i7 4790K, 16GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA). From a quick search online (because I'm too lazy to pull the computer out and check behind it) the cards looks to have two HDMI ports.

Is there a specific monitor I should look towards getting? Would I just need an extra HDMI cord to connect the second monitor, or do I need to buy something more specific? (I've done a dual monitor setup before, but it was a long time ago, and I think it was on two different connections.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Having monitors of two different brands and two different refresh rates should generally not cause any serious issues. Going dual monitor is quite easy these days, especially over HDMI (DisplayPort can be a bit temperamental at times). You plug them in, and they're supposed to just work. Different monitor models may be calibrated from the factory differently, and you'll want to try to match their color temperatures if nothing else (this can sometimes be a pain...). Different refresh rates also usually works fine.

As for which monitor to buy, that's a complicated question. I recommend referencing RTINGS, Hardware Unboxed, and TFT Central as good sources for monitor reviews. They all have their own testing methodology (so their results shouldn't be cross-compared), but they're all good, well-researched and consistently applied methodologies that give you a pretty good idea of the quality of each monitor. Monitor marketing is full of BS and outright lies, and these sites take none of these companies at their word unlike a lot of other monitor reviewers I've seen.

The first thing you should do is identify the resolution of monitor you want to buy. This is where things get a little bit tricky because your GTX 1070 can't do great 1440p in a lot of games, and it doesn't do upscaling very well. But also, a 1080p monitor purchase isn't very forward-facing since 1080p is gradually going the way of the dodo. Getting a second 1080p monitor that has a decent refresh rate like the AOC 24G2 and using that as your new gaming monitor, and then buying another monitor down the road whenever you get a new GPU is one option. The alternative is to get a higher resolution monitor right now (Like the M27Q or MSI G273QF, or Viewonic VX2758 for a somewhat cheaper option), and then use your existing 1080p monitor as your main gaming display until you next upgrade your GPU, at which point you can move over to your 1440p monitor. The 1070 can also do some older games and some less demanding games at 1440p too. The main concerns there would be that 1) your 1070 is probably good for higher frame rates than 60 at 1080p in a lot of games and you can't take advantage of that with a 60hz display, and 2) this is just psychological, but it may be a bit of a bummer going between a nice 27" 1440p display and a 24" 1080p display. YMMV on that, though. Buying a 1440p monitor right now is what I'd do, but 1080p is the cheaper option right now, and you don't have to worry about having mismatched monitor sizes and resolutions (generally not a problem, but it may bother you)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 22, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have a dual monitor setup that I have had zero problems with, and they are definitely not the same.

My main monitor (gaming, photos, Netflix, etc) is a 40+” Visio. It runs with no icons or taskbar, and is set native at 1080p/60.

My second monitor is a 32”Westinghouse (everything else). It is capable of 1080p/120, but I set it at 60 anyways. It is where I watch YouTube vids when playing a game for help with stuff I get stuck on. The only “custom” thing is that its stand is sitting on two textbooks to match the top of the big monitor, which I found to be best for my eyes because of one mouse/two display issues.

Before I got a new computer, main was HDMI while the other was DVI. My GTX970 ram this setup flawlessly for six years and both never ever got turned off unless the power was off in the neighborhood. They are now DP/HDMI off my RTX3070 and run everything I throw at it.

I run DisplayFusion to manage them as it is easy and more intuitive than default Win10 tools.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Nth-ing that a multi monitor setup with different sizes and resolutions causes no problems for me. 27" 1440 in landscape and a 24" 1080 in portrait next to it, and I think this is perfection

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ancient 1920x1080 and 1680x1050 pair reporting in with no issues too. God I still need a replacement, but a) finding something better that an RX 580 that's showing age a bit can still drive, b) surprise losing my apartment so now money is going to be very tight.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's worth noting that if you are tight on money, right now is an exceptionally bad time to be buying a second monitor. 24" 1080p monitors should be available in the $110 range, but right now they're at least 50% over that. I would either find a good deal on something used, live without a second monitor, or manage to find the budget for something better. It's ridiculous to pay $170+ for 24" 1080p 60hz IPS when 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync IPS starts at $250.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm using a 1440p monitor over DisplayPort, next to a 37" 1080p television over HDMI.

Games go on the monitor, videos go on the TV (which also has AndroidTV built in, so we can change inputs and watch it from the nearby sofa). It works just fine, and the TV is usable as a second monitor if I need extra browser windows up or whatever.

The only annoyance is that when my monitor turns off or goes into standby mode, the TV becomes my primary display and auto-resizes all of my windows to fit. So when I go back to my 1440p monitor (which immediately takes back "primary display" duties), my windows are smaller and not where I left them.

Anyone know how to get Windows 10 not to do this? I want the TV to be "secondary monitor" even if the primary isn't currently available. It worked this way with my old Dell monitor (also over DisplayPort) and the same TV, so I'm not sure what changed.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Someone talk me out of paying full price ($430 +tax) for the Acer Nitro XV272U KVbmiiprzx on Amazon and returning the dimmer V version from MicroCenter that cost $100 less :ohdear:

This thing is almost a steal, but it's just dim enough to cause problems on the sunniest Florida days. :cripes:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Weird question that I can't really find an answer on: If I decided to buy say the M32U or another 4k 144hz monitor, will I have problems running like basic Windows 10 and poo poo on it? I decided I'm not upgraded my GPU until the 4000 line comes out and currently have an MSI 1050TI.

Like I can work from home with the monitor and maybe play CSGO @ 144hz right? Or will I have basic usability problems with it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it works, it's always worked. what bothers me about multidisplay with varying sizes and refresh rates is 1) it's weirdly buggy and 2) it puts waaaaaaay more of a load on your GPU than it reasonably should, which has power/heat implications. not a big deal though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

Weird question that I can't really find an answer on: If I decided to buy say the M32U or another 4k 144hz monitor, will I have problems running like basic Windows 10 and poo poo on it? I decided I'm not upgraded my GPU until the 4000 line comes out and currently have an MSI 1050TI.

Like I can work from home with the monitor and maybe play CSGO @ 144hz right? Or will I have basic usability problems with it?

If it's just WFH and you aren't getting a GPU for over a year, why not save a ton of money on 4k60hz and then buy a 4k144 next year?

A 1050Ti is DP 1.4 and thus lacks the bandwidth to drive 4k144 at full color depth. You can do 4k120 on the desktop and it will be fine.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Ugh exactly monitor models can be a pain huh? What's the difference between this and this just for example? I can't imagine people are paying over $100 more just for 170hz vs 144hz. I also keep seeing a bunch of identical-looking LG models that I keep confusing for each other, among other things.

Is there a go-to recommendation for budget 144hz 1440p IPS at 27 inches these days? Something that goes on sale frequently and doesn't have a high failure rate or some other weird issue? I'd prefer to end up spending under $250

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Acer model naming is absolute horseshit and there can be huge differences between nearly identical models. LG is different, for the most part almost any LG monitor of a given size and refresh rate is going to use more or less the same panel and have fairly minor differences between older and newer or lower and higher end revisions. It's still always worth asking about specific monitors you are considering.

There's nothing under $250 but the VX2758-2KP-MHD is $250 and it's a very reasonable buy. Better contrast than many IPS panels, solid colors, and acceptable performance although not the best. If you want to gamble on the absolutely batshit supply chain, maybe some monitors will go on sale next month. Personally, I don't think I'd be waiting.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Brut posted:

What's the difference between this and this just for example?

Different display panels. Expensive one has better response times, input lag, and I think color? XV272U is the product line and the gibberish letters afterwards are the actual model "number."

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm using a 1440p monitor over DisplayPort, next to a 37" 1080p television over HDMI.

Games go on the monitor, videos go on the TV (which also has AndroidTV built in, so we can change inputs and watch it from the nearby sofa). It works just fine, and the TV is usable as a second monitor if I need extra browser windows up or whatever.

The only annoyance is that when my monitor turns off or goes into standby mode, the TV becomes my primary display and auto-resizes all of my windows to fit. So when I go back to my 1440p monitor (which immediately takes back "primary display" duties), my windows are smaller and not where I left them.

Anyone know how to get Windows 10 not to do this? I want the TV to be "secondary monitor" even if the primary isn't currently available. It worked this way with my old Dell monitor (also over DisplayPort) and the same TV, so I'm not sure what changed.

I used to have this issue, but I found a stupid as hell workaround: if my screens never sleep and never turn off, even a simple screensaver running 10 hours while away from home never “resets” or merges 1 & 2 screens (and the icons on the desktop stay fine).

There has to be a better way, but that’s what I did with my old system, too.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

K8.0 posted:

There's nothing under $250 but the VX2758-2KP-MHD is $250 and it's a very reasonable buy. Better contrast than many IPS panels, solid colors, and acceptable performance although not the best. If you want to gamble on the absolutely batshit supply chain, maybe some monitors will go on sale next month. Personally, I don't think I'd be waiting.

Seems like that's sold out, the prices below 300 are "Used - Like New" and they're all third party vendors. (Well one is ViewSonic themselves) I'm not really interested in used/refurb unless it's some amazing deal)

The Amazon page points to this as a newer version of it, but it's just 300.

Edit: Oh I see that Newegg still has VX2758-2KP-MHD ones in stock for $250 but my understanding is that I should not buy monitors from Newegg due to return policy issues, is that still the case?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Newegg still has it in stock, and it's one monitor I'd be fairly comfortable buying from Newegg as those particular Innolux panels had like no defect rate even when they were brand new.

Apparently there may be some issues with the VX2768-2KP-MHD, so I'm not comfortable recommending it at this time. At $300 you're in the ballpark of some much better performing monitors anyway.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Having monitors of two different brands and two different refresh rates should generally not cause any serious issues. Going dual monitor is quite easy these days, especially over HDMI (DisplayPort can be a bit temperamental at times). You plug them in, and they're supposed to just work. Different monitor models may be calibrated from the factory differently, and you'll want to try to match their color temperatures if nothing else (this can sometimes be a pain...). Different refresh rates also usually works fine.

As for which monitor to buy, that's a complicated question. I recommend referencing RTINGS, Hardware Unboxed, and TFT Central as good sources for monitor reviews. They all have their own testing methodology (so their results shouldn't be cross-compared), but they're all good, well-researched and consistently applied methodologies that give you a pretty good idea of the quality of each monitor. Monitor marketing is full of BS and outright lies, and these sites take none of these companies at their word unlike a lot of other monitor reviewers I've seen.

The first thing you should do is identify the resolution of monitor you want to buy. This is where things get a little bit tricky because your GTX 1070 can't do great 1440p in a lot of games, and it doesn't do upscaling very well. But also, a 1080p monitor purchase isn't very forward-facing since 1080p is gradually going the way of the dodo. Getting a second 1080p monitor that has a decent refresh rate like the AOC 24G2 and using that as your new gaming monitor, and then buying another monitor down the road whenever you get a new GPU is one option. The alternative is to get a higher resolution monitor right now (Like the M27Q or MSI G273QF, or Viewonic VX2758 for a somewhat cheaper option), and then use your existing 1080p monitor as your main gaming display until you next upgrade your GPU, at which point you can move over to your 1440p monitor. The 1070 can also do some older games and some less demanding games at 1440p too. The main concerns there would be that 1) your 1070 is probably good for higher frame rates than 60 at 1080p in a lot of games and you can't take advantage of that with a 60hz display, and 2) this is just psychological, but it may be a bit of a bummer going between a nice 27" 1440p display and a 24" 1080p display. YMMV on that, though. Buying a 1440p monitor right now is what I'd do, but 1080p is the cheaper option right now, and you don't have to worry about having mismatched monitor sizes and resolutions (generally not a problem, but it may bother you)

K8.0 posted:

It's worth noting that if you are tight on money, right now is an exceptionally bad time to be buying a second monitor. 24" 1080p monitors should be available in the $110 range, but right now they're at least 50% over that. I would either find a good deal on something used, live without a second monitor, or manage to find the budget for something better. It's ridiculous to pay $170+ for 24" 1080p 60hz IPS when 27" 1440p 144hz Freesync IPS starts at $250.

I guess to give a bit more context, my birthday's coming up next month, and my family asked me what I'd like. I was struggling to come up with something until someone mentioned dual monitors in another thread. So it's not so much something I'm buying directly myself, but rather something someone else will buy.

I don't think cost is too big of an issue. I wouldn't want some super-premium monitor that's like $900; monitor prices might not be great right now, but then prices for anything right now are bad. As far as my system not being up to snuff for 1440p gaming, I had thought about upgrading to a new system a while ago, but until the supply chain issue is resolved, that's far more out of the question versus getting a new monitor. I'm not ruling out a 1440p monitor, though.

We've got a membership with Costco, and the catalog we got a week or so ago has some monitors listed. I can't give model numbers or anything, since they're not listed, but there's:

• A Samsung 32" 4K Curved Monitor for $329.99
  • A LG UltraGear 32" QHD Gaming Monitor (with NVIDIA G-Sync, 165Hz refresh, and 1ms motion blur reduction) for $249.99
  • A LG 32" QHD IPS Monitor (with 75Hz Refresh) for $199.99
  • A MSI Optix 27" FHS IPS Gaming Monitor (with NVIDIA G-Sync, 165Hz refresh, and 1ms Fast Response Time) for $169.99 (might be the same as, or similar to the G273QF, but again, I can't view more information on it)
  • A Samsung 32" FHD Curved Monitor (75Hz refresh rate with AMD FreeSync Game Mode) for $199.99
  • A Samsung 27" FHD Curved Monitor (60Hz refresh rate with FreeSync tech) for $159.99

Out of the bunch, the MSI one sounds like a good deal, assuming it has the same/similar specs as the G273QF. I dunno what kind of benefit you get with curved monitors, though I thought curved monitors ran for a lot more (maybe they've come down in price?)

Something to note is that these are time exclusive deals, so they won't be available for purchase until specific dates in November (Ex. the Samsung 32" 4K Curved is listed for November 1-14, whereas the LG UltraGear is listed for November 15-29)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 23, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

FHD means 1080p, so that MSI is a 1080p 144hz 27". It's not an bad price for that, but it's also not an exceptional value. The 32" UltraGear is probably the 32GN650 which is a VA panel but decent as far as VA panels go and maybe not a bad buy for $250 CAD. Ultimately you're probably picking between those two.

Curved is generally a disadvantage unless you're talking ultrawide, and it's usually done because the monitor is large and VA. VA has issues with color shifting when you move off-axis in the horizontal plane, and if the monitor is too large then that will always happen unless you're very far from it, so they curve them to help reduce that issue. Unless it's a Samsung Odyssey, VA is generally not a great choice for gaming monitors.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cheap VA panels tend to have very poor motion clarity. When things move quickly, you'll notice black streaks behind them.

You really need to be able to know the monitor's exact model number to know exactly what you're getting. There are so many hidden landmines out there that unwitting customers can step onto. That said, reading customer reviews gives me the impression that most people genuinely don't care. They'll buy the smeariest, nastiest VA panel on the market and go, "Ooh, 4K! So crisp! It can do HDR! 5/5!" (note: it probably can't do true HDR.) It makes me wonder if I'm just a snob when I care about getting the highest quality monitor available at any given price point.

Anyway... If the shopping needs to be done locally, and by someone else giving you a gift, then I guess what I'd ask for is a flat-panel IPS that does at least 165Hz. And specify whether you want FHD (1080p) or QHD (1440p). That's enough information that the shopper can ask a salesperson and, if the salesperson is any good, walk away with something decent. Any modern one of those from a reputable brand is bound to be at least acceptable since it's sort of hard to screw up a basic IPS panel at that refresh rate. Some relatively minor things that can go wrong include the lack of an sRGB gamut clamp (fixable in software) and the lack of a one-size-fits-all overdrive mode for adaptive sync mode. Usually the worst thing that happens to high-refresh IPS panels is poor overdrive tuning. (Overdrive makes the panel transition its pixels faster, but it can "overshoot" and invert the colors, which can leave some inverted ghost trails behind moving objects), but companies have that down decently well these days. Any further nerding out we do here is trying to find the best possible product at any given price point, with most differences probably being unnoticeable to most people unless you point them out to them.

The performance impact going from 1080p to 1440p tends result in 35% fewer frames per second, give or take some depending on how CPU-limited you are (the more CPU limited you are, the fewer frames you'll lose from increasing resolution). That's the main data point to keep in mind when deciding which resolution you want to go for.

edit: The curved 32" 4K samsung monitor is a big no-go.
The flat 32" LG QHD 165Hz monitor would be acceptable, but be aware that 32" is rather huge, and this is a VA panel (if it is indeed the 32GN600/650). That means that even if you're seated directly centered, the edges of the panel will still look off. And if you move your head, it'll get even more noticeable. As K8.0 says, sit far away from it and it becomes less of an issue, but then you wouldn't be able to see your 24" monitor well. So I'd pass.
The 32" LG QHD 75Hz IPS would probably look better, but it's still huge, and its 75Hz shows that it's not really designed to be a gaming monitor.
The 27" MSI monitor is not the G273QF since that one is 1440p, and this is 1080p. It is probably decent for 1080p, though 27" makes for some pretty big pixels at 1080p. I would generally stick to 24" or 25" at that resolution.
The last couple Samsung monitors are probably VA monitors, and I expect them to be mediocre at best, and potentially quite smeary and bad-looking in motion. Samsung has put out the best looking VA monitors on the market by far (turns out, QLED is a pretty good tech), but they've also put out some total turds. I don't trust their budget monitors at all. They've recently released a new Odyssey G3 model that uses a flat 24" 165Hz VA panel, I suspect the same panel that this abomination uses. These samsung monitors aren't that, but I don't know what these are. I don't trust them.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 23, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FYI, if anyone is interested in LG's Nano IPS line, the Dell S2721DGF is basically a non-overclockable version of the 27GP850 at 165Hz at $330. The HP X27q looks like it's probably based on that same panel as well, for $310. These are going to be equivalent to the 27GP83A, but for a fair bit cheaper. Micro Center has the X27q for $300. I don't like the worse than average contrast in these panels, especially when they're touted as premium $400+ monitors, but for $300 it's hard to argue with the value.

I know that LG Electronics and LG Display are two separate branches that are run differently, but it's still weird to see this kind of undercutting happening with LG's own panels.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 23, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Anyway... If the shopping needs to be done locally, and by someone else giving you a gift, then I guess what I'd ask for is a flat-panel IPS that does at least 165Hz.

Oh, it doesn't. Finding one online through Amazon or whatever would work fine. The Costco ones I put forth because I thought the prices were good. Getting a specific model number or link to a product page would make things easier, and it would be better to give them something they can get sooner rather than later.

As far as performance hitches go, I figured I could toggle to just my old monitor if was running something more intensive. Someone mentioned Display Fusion, which I've not used, but I've kept in mind if I ever got a second monitor and needed to toggle things.

I did a search on Amazon for 'ips 165hz monitor' and found the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD. I found it on RTINGS, and they gave it pretty high marks. Would that be a good one to go with?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, it doesn't. Finding one online through Amazon or whatever would work fine. The Costco ones I put forth because I thought the prices were good. Getting a specific model number or link to a product page would make things easier, and it would be better to give them something they can get sooner rather than later.

As far as performance hitches go, I figured I could toggle to just my old monitor if was running something more intensive. Someone mentioned Display Fusion, which I've not used, but I've kept in mind if I ever got a second monitor and needed to toggle things.

Probably my suggestion. I only have the free Display Fusion, but it seems to run the “theme” slideshow on both monitors separately, which I love, as well as placing a small clickable rectangle near the Windows “minimize” ( _ ) button on every window that allows me to one-click HWInfo or small-print to my larger TV/monitor. I can even read scaled up close captioning better without any special (and prone to bugs) effort.

I run Lively Wallpaper on my small laptop, though. The animated backgrounds and Reddit sub to get more are just fun, and you can even make a downloaded or livestreaming video the background. It’s completely superfluous, but it looks nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

I did a search on Amazon for 'ips 165hz monitor' and found the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD. I found it on RTINGS, and they gave it pretty high marks. Would that be a good one to go with?

You don't need any special software for what you want. Most modern games have an option in the settings for which monitor they're displayed on. Though not all... *cough* Flight Simulator. For those that don't, they generally run on your primary display, which is a setting you can change in the windows display settings quite easily.

The one you linked is a good one, though it's not exactly the same as the monitor you saw on RTINGS. The one RTINGS reviewed is the quantum dot variant that has a wider color gamut. This one will perform identically in most aspects, but will have a narrower color gamut. This doesn't matter for 99.9% of content since both still covers the full sRGB gamut. I can't find any clear differences between this non-QD version and the G273QF ($310) I mentioned earlier aside from the G273QF having a worse stand that isn't height adjustable. The Gigabyte M27Q is $300, has slightly worse response times (won't be noticeable to most people), a wider color gamut than the G273QF (again, not relevant for most content, but it may be nice to have), and a flaw in the form of BGR subpixels that will make text appear a bit fuzzier in programs that do custom text anti aliasing without using ClearType (Chrome is one, I think?). And an adjustable stand. These would be my picks for mid-budget 1440p monitors.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 23, 2021