Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And then Unreal 3 was just brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

OG Unreal is a loving aesthetic holy crap.

I had so many colored lighting flashbacks just now

As far as I have been able to tell, it was the very first game to use particle effect flame and volumetric lighting straight out of the box.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This is Unreal running at 30 FPS on a non-ATI RAVE driver using that Formac card and on the SGI 1600SW at 1600x1024. This is all 1999 tech running this.

Is that software rendering or is texture filtering off/not supported by the hardware? (The fact that I even have to ask is because Unreal had a fantastic software renderer)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Humphreys posted:

What a delightful old BIOS!:

American Megatrends sounds like a cyberpunk corporation both in name and the old logo.

I googled a bit and they are actually a relatively small operation (1000 people) but due to how omnipresent they have been in PCs ever since I got my first 486, I though they would be some huge conglomerate.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BattleMaster posted:

Is that software rendering or is texture filtering off/not supported by the hardware? (The fact that I even have to ask is because Unreal had a fantastic software renderer)

Effectively software rendering at 30 FPS. I'll get a screen shot of it in Glide and true ATI RAVE. Sadly, the Mac port of the original Unreal never got the S3TC textures or OpenGL. I'll install Deus Ex or UT so you can see what the card can do with OpenGL

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The Mac clone I always wanted was a Daystar Digital Genesis MP. Four 604e processors.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This is Unreal running at 30 FPS on a non-ATI RAVE driver using that Formac card and on the SGI 1600SW at 1600x1024. This is all 1999 tech running this.

The other tech relic here is that there used to a game series backing the eponymous Unreal Engine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steve Jorbs posted:

The other tech relic here is that there used to be a game series backing the eponymous Unreal Engine.

There still is

its fortnite

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There still is

its fortnite
I thought about that but I get the impression that Fortnite is a dumping ground for testing engine features rather than a driving force for development of the engine, but that’s probably been their model more or less since they started licensing out the engine years ago.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
With Tim Sweeney at the helm it almost seems like it’d be more appropriate to call it something based on ZZT, but eh. Marketing.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There still is

its fortnite

It’s a shame that the Unreal Tournament reboot died in the arse, but I suppose other games occupy that niche now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Every guy who bought this typed out both "80085" and "BOOBS" as a test.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

tribbledirigible posted:

Every guy who bought this typed out both "80085" and "BOOBS" as a test.

It's an older code, but it checks out.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Why wouldn't you have another strap further up to help stabilize it? It reminds me of my old arm guard from when I did archery, and that had a strap on either end to keep it on me better

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Why wouldn't you have another strap further up to help stabilize it? It reminds me of my old arm guard from when I did archery, and that had a strap on either end to keep it on me better

It's two pieces :v:

The keyboard is basically a dock for the watch which is otherwise normal sized. Lets you input (a very small and limited amount of data...) to the watch. Things like information you want to remember, or even very simple basic programs IIRC. I wanna say it even had enough grunt to play very simple games too?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Bong brrrrring

ting

ting

ting

ting

ting

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I found my 3rd gen iPod and was surprised it charged up. Then I thought it was busted because I tried touch scrolling on the display and nothing was happening

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Cat Hassler posted:

I found my 3rd gen iPod and was surprised it charged up. Then I thought it was busted because I tried touch scrolling on the display and nothing was happening

I think I had the 4th gen iPod. It was the last monochrome iPod. I love the look of the interface. It used the old mac Chicago font and it was nice and clear.

It lost a lot of charm when they went color.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since style is cyclical that means serif fonts are coming back baby!!!

Can’t wait

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since style is cyclical that means serif fonts are coming back baby!!!

Can’t wait

I wish mp3 player chat was on a slightly longer cycle...

(serif fonts are cool, I use Go Mono for programming: https://go.dev/blog/go-fonts)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

I wish mp3 player chat was on a slightly longer cycle...

(serif fonts are cool, I use Go Mono for programming: https://go.dev/blog/go-fonts)

Civilized people use script fonts for programming.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Actually that's scripting.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I told them loving kids they was gonna need cursive to program the killer robots and they didn’t listen!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
A friend of mine has one of those mental issues that makes him do stuff like I reviewed Forty Fixed Fonts and rated how good they are for programming.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, I can vaguely imagine doing that - but I have come to be very tolerant (or uncritical, I guess) with my fonts. Besides, I like bitmap fonts, and think a slashed 0 is too much like a letter Ø. Good work, though, and I do otherwise mostly agree with him.

For reference, SGI Screen - one of the best classic bitmap terminal fonts:

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Oct 21, 2021

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Computer viking posted:

Ha, I can vaguely imagine doing that - but I have come to be very tolerant (or uncritical, I guess) with my fonts. Besides, I like bitmap fonts, and think a slashed 0 is too much like a letter Ø. Good work, though, and I do otherwise mostly agree with him.

For reference, SGI Screen - one of the best classic bitmap terminal fonts:

I think I have been looking for this font for a very long time. None of my consoles ever look quite right...

e. https://bitbucket.org/tarkasteve/sgi-screen-ttf/src/master/

Code Jockey has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Oct 21, 2021

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

One of my former bosses had her terminal font set to the Windows Script font and the terminal colors to pink text on blue. She also got fired for yelling at her subordinates and throwing office items at them when angry.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Origin posted:

One of my former bosses had her terminal font set to the Windows Script font and the terminal colors to pink text on blue. She also got fired for yelling at her subordinates and throwing office items at them when angry.

I like to think that if someone just changed their color scheme the person would be instantly docile and civil.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

This guy looks at the various bitmap fonts used on early 8-bit and 16-bit computers.

https://damieng.com/blog/tag/pixel-fonts/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Code Jockey posted:

I think I have been looking for this font for a very long time. None of my consoles ever look quite right...

e. https://bitbucket.org/tarkasteve/sgi-screen-ttf/src/master/

Thank you. Now my Powershell looks civilized.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Origin posted:

The last two companies I worked for both had ancient data servers storing all their backend data with more modern terminal emulators used to access those servers. There was some real eye-searing combinations that people set in those emulators.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Reminds me of when I was in tech school in the air force and we were working in teams to set up two networks on each side of the room. My buddy and I were the two smartest so we were put in charge of our teams, and then each team had one of the two problem people and my team had the most annoying one. His only contribution to the team was setting the windows theme on the VPN concentrator to something worse than hot dog stand and said "this is what I use on my computer."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

Reminds me of when I was in tech school in the air force and we were working in teams to set up two networks on each side of the room. My buddy and I were the two smartest so we were put in charge of our teams, and then each team had one of the two problem people and my team had the most annoying one. His only contribution to the team was setting the windows theme on the VPN concentrator to something worse than hot dog stand and said "this is what I use on my computer."

Rainy Day was always the best of the default color schemes.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Rainy Day was the poo poo, oh drat I miss you Rainy Day

Am I just remembering things for maximum hilarity or was the ratio of absolutely unusable color schemes to decent color schemes like 5 :1

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Powered Descent posted:

Rainy Day was always the best of the default color schemes.

woah that was a hard hit of nostalgia. Think that is what I always used as well.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I thought that was the theme I used, but apparently the colors are different. Or maybe they were different in Windows 98? Anyway, it sent me down the rabbit hole of backups I have. Apologies if no one gives a poo poo.

Maybe Rainy Day theme screenshot memorializing my 1000th post 20 years ago.

Screenshots from the web site for "SimpleCam" also from 2001, a free app I wrote for people using the SA Goon Cam Portals since most cost money at the time. I have the source code (VB6!) too, so I could put that on Github and also post it in the coding horrors thread.

And finally, "An Awful Game". SA was enamored with the hentai game True Love in 2001, so I started making an SA-themed game with similar gameplay (without the sex). I also found a .dat file filled with dozens of SA-themed interactions (like seen in the screenshot) which I would share, but some of them are very early 2000s SA, and needless to say, not good.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GI_Clutch posted:

I thought that was the theme I used, but apparently the colors are different. Or maybe they were different in Windows 98? Anyway, it sent me down the rabbit hole of backups I have. Apologies if no one gives a poo poo.

Maybe Rainy Day theme screenshot memorializing my 1000th post 20 years ago.

Screenshots from the web site for "SimpleCam" also from 2001, a free app I wrote for people using the SA Goon Cam Portals since most cost money at the time. I have the source code (VB6!) too, so I could put that on Github and also post it in the coding horrors thread.

And finally, "An Awful Game". SA was enamored with the hentai game True Love in 2001, so I started making an SA-themed game with similar gameplay (without the sex). I also found a .dat file filled with dozens of SA-themed interactions (like seen in the screenshot) which I would share, but some of them are very early 2000s SA, and needless to say, not good.

Haha this is awesome

Pro favorites bar location in IE too BTW. Takes me back to when you could drag that bar around. How far we’ve fallen…

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Holy cow, I had completely forgotten about it but I'm pretty sure I used SimpleCam ~2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"