Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man I love the Leopard PT A.

(and this is with my stats being abysmal until I got the second gun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah LEO PTA is a really good T9 these days.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Once I had the upgraded turret I found the 9cm fine to grind out the 10,5. But I'm one of those jerks that have monster crews and use food like McGavin just mentioned...

Need to crew up the PTA again sometime.

And drat do I ever love the Leo 1.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

The reason why you see players like Skill and Dez use vents on everything instead of optics is because they have monster crews with maxed view range skills and are running food instead of fire extinguishers.

You don't need to use optics when you're hitting 460+ view range naturally and the bonus from vents combines nicely with the bonus from food, especially when they're in an equipment slot that gives vents an increased bonus.

Oh don't get me started on food: it's similarly nearly worthless as BiA and vents, just double the effectiveness (so, ~+5% to skills instead of ~+2.5% each.) It's one thing to have a bunch of other skills, particularly the VR ones that can get you to maximum spotting distance with vents, but that still doesn't justify the latter. For one, the sheer crew XP required for additional skills makes the ability to skip optics anything but free. Second, the boost from optics to get VR beyond max spotting is valuable to help negate camo (and when firing, tanks don't drop 100% of their camo, so having above 445 m VR is still useful.) Third, using food is both expensive and risky (assuming you're dropping the extinguisher.) And above all, as I explained, boosting crew skills is far less effective than boosting the tank parameters themselves (e.g. +10% RoF from a rammer would require +20% to the gunner's skills, requiring all of food, BIA, and vents.)

Again...

Turmoilx posted:

where i replace optics with vents i will usually have 100% recon and situational awareness on my commander

not often though. vents also makes things like mobility better but now im wondering about turbo vs vents for something like turning radius speed

...you don't have to take my word for it, the bonuses from modules and skills are all visible in-game. You can equip your tanks and see just how minute the bonuses you get from vents are. Vents technically improves mobility of all tanks, but you're not going to notice the difference, period. And vents vs. turbo? The friggin turbo increases engine power and gives the Maus a +20% top speed boost! Vents...does nothing to either because it only increases the driver's skills, which do not control engine output or vehicle speed.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The thing with vents/BiA/food isn't that each one gives a super good bonus, it's that if you stack all the bonuses it's a real big bonus to a lot of things.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

People need to stop making fun of the TOG.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I found the ultimate World of Tanks player: a guy with a WN8 of 1.

Playing a T8 premium, of course.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Damnit Lloyd youre supposed to shoot the tanks!

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
the SU-130M is still awesome and i love it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I vastly prefer it over the Skorpion.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
indeed both are cool but jeeeee the su has awesome camo skorp has nearly none. im trying to find someone to platoon tier 8s with i tried the "find platoon players" auto thing, asked in general chat no luck. im on NA central

guess i want an invite to discord too, easier to group up for platooning from there i think :onesung3d#1422

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 21, 2021

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Man this should be an automatic ban.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vando posted:

The thing with vents/BiA/food isn't that each one gives a super good bonus, it's that if you stack all the bonuses it's a real big bonus to a lot of things.

I don't want to belabor the point more than I already have, but they really don't give a big bonus to anything. Skill boosts are half as effective as they appear, direct tank bonuses (e.g. rammer, optics) are more effective and valuable, and the 3 skill boosts above cost you a lot: 1/3 equipment slots, 1/3 consumable slots, and up to 6 100% perks (depending on crew layout) which cost a shitton of combined XP, especially as the 3rd or higher skill accrued!

Going back to the Maus example: I have the stock Maus next to one with vents/BIA/food, next to one with just a rammer and optics. Notice how the 2nd one still isn't even that impressive despite all of the expense described above? The reload shaves off a little over a second, which isn't bad, and the dispersion goes down from a respectable 0.35 to a very good 0.32, with a still rather insignificant aim speed decrease. And handling improves, I guess technically, but lol, it's still a Maus, it's not going anywhere quickly. And VR is closer to maximum spotting at 436. But all of the tiny bonuses are irrelevant to most tanks, because boosting most stats a little bit doesn't make any realistic difference, which is why min/maxing is a thing.

But then look at the 3rd Maus: a single rammer gives you a better reload improvement, and optics gives you a higher VR, all at the cost of 2 equipment slots; you still have the other slot to play around with (maybe a turbo?) all 3 consumable slots, and any skill combination you could want (so add recon & situational awareness if you'd like to get above max spotting distance, plus 6th sense of course...and you've still only picked half of your crew's first skills, compared to having to devote all 6 to BIA!)

I'm serious, you guys really need to test out some fits for yourself to see exactly how useless skill boosts are.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You put the rammer or optics on anyway (depending on what you value in the tank) and the vents/BiA/food bonus stacks with that on top.

Yes it's not good value for what you spend on it, but if you have the resources available it's not an insignificant bonus. Remember it applies to *all* stats affected by crew, so that's camo, repair time, turn rate etc etc as well.

Vando fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 22, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Vents + Optics can enhance view range by a pretty good chunk. Depends on the tank but for lights and especially mediums being able to have your view range at max or as close to it as possible can be much greater value than a quarter of a second shaved off reload time or whatever other bonuses from other equipment.

And LMAO if youre running food in place of a auto extinguisher.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

The only time you could do this is if you've got your firefighting skill maxed, which is pretty much the last skill you should train.

I'd also run the firefighting directive as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

McGavin posted:

The only time you could do this is if you've got your firefighting skill maxed, which is pretty much the last skill you should train.

Did they fix he blasts for the rear turreted tanks? Because I'm still not sold on that idea when last I remember, a derp cannon fired at any rear turreted tank had the splash to nail the engine/fuel tank and cause it to spontaneously burst into flames.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They're selling the Bourrasque on EU servers again. You know, in case you don't have the most broken OP piece of poo poo T8 premium yet but want it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Dear wargaming, I'm ready to throw down some cash for a tier 8 premium arty. It is the only class that doesn't have a t8 premium.. at all. The highest they go is t5.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Did they fix he blasts for the rear turreted tanks? Because I'm still not sold on that idea when last I remember, a derp cannon fired at any rear turreted tank had the splash to nail the engine/fuel tank and cause it to spontaneously burst into flames.

lol HE :rolleyes:

HE was nerfed into uselessness. It only does damage at the point of impact, so no more engine fires from turret hits.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

McGavin posted:

lol HE :rolleyes:

HE was nerfed into uselessness. It only does damage at the point of impact, so no more engine fires from turret hits.

Yeah. You may think Gavin is exaggerating. He isn't. HE is now literally the same as AP, it doesn't splash. As a result HE is now literally useless unless you're one of the few tanks with good HE pen and are firing at very lightly armoured tanks.

E: OK there's a tiny difference: if your HE shell doesn't penetrate, there's a chance it may do a very small amount of damage (like 10-50 damage) unless it hits a "screen" (contrary to what you'd expect, a "screen" can also refer to a tank's turret or hull or drat near anything) or a track or a rivet or just doesn't feel like it in which case it does nothing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 22, 2021

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

JuffoWup posted:

Dear wargaming, I'm ready to throw down some cash for a tier 8 premium arty. It is the only class that doesn't have a t8 premium.. at all. The highest they go is t5.

Why stop there. Lets make the next tier 9 premium an arty.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Katamari Democracy posted:

Why stop there. Lets make the next tier 9 premium an arty.

Because I could bring it out at the start of frontlines to annoy people. Instead of reaching a point to unlock 9.

Also wasn't aware t9s for money was in tanks now. Makes sense as it has been in boats for years.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nobody plays arty anymore because of the HE nerf. Arty is only for getting stun damage now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JuffoWup posted:

Also wasn't aware t9s for money was in tanks now. Makes sense as it has been in boats for years.

There's just the one, the Stridsvagn K. It's poo poo, but that's intentional. They'll be powercreeping it soon and steadily.

E: Well, I mean, there's only one T9 premium for now. But all the battle pass T9 tanks have been available for money for a while now because you can just straight up buy battle pass levels and get the tokens that way.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

McGavin posted:

Nobody plays arty anymore because of the HE nerf.

It only took a decade, praise serb.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

i see what you mean by vents now, only crew skill bonus vs something like the new aiming thing or other equipment giving a TANK bonus. sometimes vents good for reload though but rarely, like kv2 kind of reloads looks lke ill be slowly phasing out vents unless i decide its still worth based off reload aim time and that tiny 0.01 accuracy bonus on some tanks

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 22, 2021

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

McGavin posted:

Nobody plays arty anymore because of the HE nerf. Arty is only for getting stun damage now.

There is no arty but Leafblower.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

the good tank with the good MM http://wotreplays.eu/site/6050457#airfield-turmoilx-panhard_ebr_75_fl_10

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vando posted:

You put the rammer or optics on anyway (depending on what you value in the tank) and the vents/BiA/food bonus stacks with that on top.

Yes it's not good value for what you spend on it, but if you have the resources available it's not an insignificant bonus. Remember it applies to *all* stats affected by crew, so that's camo, repair time, turn rate etc etc as well.

So I was thinking, if they doubled the nominal crew skill bonus so that it's effectively what it appears to be now (for Vents, BIA, and food) then that might make them viable options. Because now we have to choose between +10% RoF, +10% VR, +10% aim speed, and swapping out one of those for only +2.5% to everything (in the case of regular vents) which, like I've said, is not a good choice as long as any of the more substantial equipment is available for a given tank. But if it actually were +5% to everything like it appears to be, then that would make it a much more realistic option.

MariusLecter posted:

Vents + Optics can enhance view range by a pretty good chunk. Depends on the tank but for lights and especially mediums being able to have your view range at max or as close to it as possible can be much greater value than a quarter of a second shaved off reload time or whatever other bonuses from other equipment.

Right, vents does something, it's just insignificant compared to the other options. Remember, there are multiple pieces of scouting equipment that you can stack on an LT that will be more effective individually than vents, and if you just wanted to add vents to boost VR alone on a scout, that's also illustrating my point that min/maxing is the correct strategy and all of the ancillary boosts that vents(/BIA/food) provide "to everything" are irrelevant.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that you should be able to buy every piece of equipment for a tank, because some tryhards would spend 10M credits to equip their Chieftains or whatever, but there should probably be more than 3 slots available. Remember under the old system, there were the 3-5 viable pieces for every tank, and then a bunch of things that nobody ever used because they weren't good enough to supplant the "default" choices? Vents should've been an unlockable thing, that would cost credits (and add weight) but not take up an equipment slot; the same for the other ancillary things like improved suspensions. If the equipment system worked like that, then it would be a different discussion, because it would be the credit cost vs. the benefit of vents, rather than comparing each piece of equipment to one another as the only meaningful currency now is the precious slots.

Same for food: I always use extinguisher/medkit/repair kit, and that's why I never use food, but if you could add food as an extra bonus (at its considerable cost) then that would totally change the conversation.

McGavin posted:

And as I've mentioned, the skill system is in desperate need of an overhaul, and is a whole other discussion.

JuffoWup posted:

:frogout:

Turmoilx posted:

i see what you mean by vents now, only crew skill bonus vs something like the new aiming thing or other equipment giving a TANK bonus. sometimes vents good for reload though but rarely, like kv2 kind of reloads looks lke ill be slowly phasing out vents unless i decide its still worth based off reload aim time and that tiny 0.01 accuracy bonus on some tanks

Yeah, you're getting it now. You really have to look at the bonus the skill boosts provide to see how minor they really are. And to clarify, this is a quirk of the crew system.

So Wargaming decided that, for the modules, the crew would repair damaged ones during battle. It makes sense, because this is an arcade style game, not a sim. It would totally suck if you got detracked once and were stuck in place for the duration of a battle (aside from the then-single-use repair kits.) But what about the crew? When one gets killed, he isn't revived mid-battle (again, ignoring the med kits, which I can't believe we had to deal with being single-use for so many years!) But it would still totally suck if your tank was dead in the water just due to a dead driver; and that's not how the game works, because dead crew don't disable the tank, however they do impede it's functionality.

The system they came up with was to average a crew member's current skill level with a virtual 100% one, to get some baseline level of functionality considering that in a multi-person vehicle, someone else could pull out the dead guy's body and take over, at a reduced level of effectiveness. So a 100% driver is exactly as effective as his nominal skill level ((100+100)/2). A 50% driver (shudder) is actually 75% effective ((50+100)/2). A dead driver, then, is 50% ((0+100)/2) effective, because the radioman taking over for him or whatever isn't as good a driver, and that's why the tank feels so sluggish (or reloads much more slowly, etc.)

The side effect of this is that, while a lesser-skilled (or dead) crew member isn't as horrible as you'd expect based on the nominal skill percentage, boosted values are reduced due to the averaging. Adding vents (+5%) brings your loader from 100 to 105%, which actually only makes him 102.5% effective ((105+100)/2). That's why skill boosts aren't as effective as they seem, and are less valuable than straight up tank bonuses (e.g. rammer vs. any loader boost.) Again, if it were an actual 5% boost to stats that would be one thing, but +2.5% to one or two things you care about and a bunch of things that don't matter to a given tank isn't ever worth it if better equipment is available (which, again, usually is the case aside from low tiers.)

Another quirk is that tanks with double crew members (typically two loaders) are also affected by the averaging, so if a tank like the Tortoise loses a loader, it goes from 100% RoF ((100+100+100)/3) to 67% instead of 50% ((100+0+100)/3), which isn't quite as catastrophic because you'd be going from, say, 4k DPM to ~2.7k instead of 2k, which is still quite formidable (at any tier.) So a real scenario might be, you get hit by arty and lose a loader and your driver, and you would definitely heal the driver first with the TD still being quite effective with 1 loader.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 23, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The only tanks I can remember ever having a somewhat viable argument for vents was the original french autoloaders. And that was only because the reload time was based on the average of the entire crew. So vents and food actually helped even if minimally. Then again, before the removed the option, vents on the bat 155 58 was pretty much the only viable 3rd slot available. And I guess now I'd just get the turbo to fill in that 3rd slot (not joking, I used that tank with binos for the 3rd module because there legit wasn't a viable module available for it when wargaming removed the option to run vents).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

The only tanks I can remember ever having a somewhat viable argument for vents was the original french autoloaders. And that was only because the reload time was based on the average of the entire crew. So vents and food actually helped even if minimally. Then again, before the removed the option, vents on the bat 155 58 was pretty much the only viable 3rd slot available. And I guess now I'd just get the turbo to fill in that 3rd slot (not joking, I used that tank with binos for the 3rd module because there legit wasn't a viable module available for it when wargaming removed the option to run vents).

Exactly: the autoloaders have long reload times where vents (and BIA) might shave off a second each, but more importantly, the rammer isn't an option. So like I wrote earlier, vents were viable because a better equipment choice was off the table.

And equipment and skill choices for arty are again a different story, with even fewer good choices back then.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin posted:

I didn't know what to use in the 3rd slot on the Bat-Chat 155-58 so I put in a Turbocharger and now it's faster and has more horsepower than the Bat-Chat 25 t AP (Tier 9 - the Tier 10 Bat-Chat has a bit more horsepower).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Exactly: the autoloaders have long reload times where vents (and BIA) might shave off a second each, but more importantly, the rammer isn't an option. So like I wrote earlier, vents were viable because a better equipment choice was off the table.

And equipment and skill choices for arty are again a different story, with even fewer good choices back then.

Right, arty was always rammer/gld/net. There wasn't any other option. I don't think there is still any other option. The su-14 (now the -2 I think?) and the obj 212 were the only ones that danced differently in that you saw some use trading the net for vents as they were enclosed vehicles. This is what happened to the bat 155 58 as well back then. It is an enclosed vehicle so it had the ability to use vents. But you weren't sacrificing anything because you couldn't use a rammer. Then wargaming went "oops, even though the model is enclosed, we gave it open top built in vents bonus already so we are removing vents as an option as it wasn't doing anything". Instead of fixing it their code to let it use vents. Whatever.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
http://wotreplays.eu/site/6051016#malinovka-mariuslecter-m4a3e8_sherman

e;
an afk stock tiger 1 kinda made this one a freebie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
One more tank should do it to get me to the last of the battle pass, even the Type 64 that I already got 22 points on.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 24, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Definitely the Cromwell or VK.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Use the Pudel and make some money. :homebrew:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The pudel owns.

Adbot