Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

No forums name/time stamp, doesn’t count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MomJeans420 posted:

If you have a Porsche with center lock wheels that need something stupid (400 lb-ft? 500? 600?) you can use a torque multiplier to get the required force.

*edit*
looks like the Porsches are 440 lb-ft but some people run in the 500s?

Jesus gently caress. IIRC the axle nut on a DC-10 main (52x20.5x23, and carrying ~50k lbs per tire) only took something like three hundred foot pounds.

We used a 3/4” drive torque wrench that was like three and a half feet long. Why they hell is Porsche using that much torque?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

I've gotten a lot of PMs telling me I'm lying about the torque wrench so here's proof that I'm not

I think you're lying about getting a lot of PM's regarding a torque wrench.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Russian Bear posted:

How do you like your Zero? Any surprises with ownership? I've been thinking of trying one at the local dealer as they always have demo bikes.
No real surprises, had an issue with the BMS and they replaced it. The main issues are they're still too expensive, and take too long to charge (mine maxes at J1772 / 7kW). Some of the competitors have DC charging. But either way 100 miles in the tank goes too fast on a motorcycle.

If I had a daily city commute it'd be amazing for that. I hate brapping my gas bikes through anywhere that people are trying to live. And the speed/torque on tap are incredible for moving through traffic.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Instead of Zero, I went with Energica and got an Ego. My bike's about the same price as the SR/F & S. It shares a lot of the same problems as Zero's offerings except for the fact that it has DC fast charging at 25kW so a top-up is as quick as 20 minutes. A lot of North American Zero owners dismiss the perk of DCFC due to the general lack of infrastructure but it's not going to remain that way forever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've gotten a lot of PMs telling me I'm lying about the torque wrench so here's proof that I'm not

Wow way to miss an opportunity to post a blown-up picture of your avatar's dick

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well, crap, now I feel like a fool for the 20 PMs I sent calling you a liar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If you dont carry around a impact wrench and give those lug nuts all the ugga duggas you aint doing it right.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

QuarkJets posted:

Wow way to miss an opportunity to post a blown-up picture of your avatar's dick

Or thar picture of Goatse with a power drill in his rear end.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Not strictly an EV, but thought i'd post this because in our situation 1 car and 1 e assist bicycle is pretty ideal as far as household vehicles go. When it comes time to replace the honda fit, it'll be with an electric car of some sort. If you live in a place with ok bicycle infrastructure, give an e bicycle a try, they're a ton of fun even for experienced, able bodied "cyclists" and can be a great car replacement.

We just added a Specialized Como to the vehicle family:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

LRADIKAL posted:

I think you're lying about getting a lot of PM's regarding a torque wrench.

I’m sorry you’re right I was just showing off

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you dont carry around a impact wrench and give those lug nuts all the ugga duggas you aint doing it right.

That would actually be really cool. An electric impact wrench with a torque extension bar and a compact tire inflator, both running off the car's 230V/16A socket. e: throw in an electric jack too.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 20, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Not strictly an EV, but thought i'd post this because in our situation 1 car and 1 e assist bicycle is pretty ideal as far as household vehicles go. When it comes time to replace the honda fit, it'll be with an electric car of some sort. If you live in a place with ok bicycle infrastructure, give an e bicycle a try, they're a ton of fun even for experienced, able bodied "cyclists" and can be a great car replacement.

When we got our electric car, we immediately stopped using the bicycles. At all.

I still ride mine around when ms cruft and cruft jr have both of the cars. But after like 4 years of them sitting out in the fietsenhok in the driveway, rusting, I put their bikes into the storage shed. It's kind of sad. We used to be big bicycling advocates, and event got certified by the League of American Bicyclists to teach classes.

Tell me more about your electric bikes. How much did the cost, how do you charge them, what's the range and top speed, how do they handle, can you carry groceries...

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cruft posted:

When we got our electric car, we immediately stopped using the bicycles. At all.

I still ride mine around when ms cruft and cruft jr have both of the cars. But after like 4 years of them sitting out in the fietsenhok in the driveway, rusting, I put their bikes into the storage shed. It's kind of sad. We used to be big bicycling advocates, and event got certified by the League of American Bicyclists to teach classes.

Tell me more about your electric bikes. How much did the cost, how do you charge them, what's the range and top speed, how do they handle, can you carry groceries...

So this is a Specialized Turbo Como 4.0. It has a 500wh battery (and the 2022 version now has an even bigger battery, but it costs a little more) and as far as range goes, specialized has a little calculator app. If I put my height and weight (6'4, 205lb) and keep it on the flats in eco mode (best scenario), the range is 65 miles. The 2022 versions of these bikes will have even more range. Basically it's more than your average person would use in one ride. Make sure you use a reasonable estimate for average speed for your ride... you're probably not average more than 12 miles an hour with stops etc. But best of all? It doesn't matter! Specialized has an app where you can even set it to give you the maximum assist for let's say the 2 hour ride you're going to do. Or like most people, just modulate the level of assist yourself. It's an electronic assist bicycle.. meaning that you have to pedal to get help from the motor. This is an important distinction because many people thing there's a throttle on all ebikes, but that would put it into being a different class of bike that's usually not allowed on bike paths etc, although if you're being reasonable no one will care. So typically ebikes from bicycle manufacturers like trek, spec, cannondale etc. will never have a throttle.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-calculator/app

This 2021 retails for $3750 if you can find one in stock, the 2022 versions are being bumped up to 4k. Yes i see you recoiling in horror, that's so much money! It is, but these are some of the best ebikes around (best as far as smoothness and integration), so that's expected. There are less expensive options from this brand and Trek etc; these start at 3250 for the 2022 base version with a 530wh battery - so even better than the one we have for less money.

The top speed on this bike is 28 mph, but you do have to put some effort to actually get up to that speed with full assist on since it multiplies your effort x4 and I don't expect that people are going to be going more than 20 mph in this nice upright pedaling position in general.

The handling is very solid since the bike weights 45lb. Obviously since you're sitting fairly upright you're not putting a ton of your own weight over the front wheel so maybe slow down for those corners. The nice thing with the heft, is that if you put some panniers on it (like we have) it doesn't upset the balance of the bike too much once they are loaded. I have friends with the same bike who regularly do grocery store runs on theirs, it won't do a costco trip obviously.

It will charge from totally dead in like 6 hours i think from a normal outlet, but I just plug ours in every few days since my partner uses it every day for commuting, going to the gym, cafe etc.

Call around your local bike shops (whatever brand they carry) and ask what ebikes they have in stock and just go ride some and see how they feel. Every brand has ebikes of every kind nowadays.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 20, 2021

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I love and fully support ebikes but this reads like the script the salesperson reads, lol.

I’m glad battery tech is getting to the point where you don’t need to worry about range any more.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

One of the things I would teach was to move the pedals when going through an intersection, to signal you are moving forward and do not intend to stop. I don't have any statistics for this, but in my experience, it results in fewer people turning in front of you. This is especially perilous downhill, when you can easily get a bicycle up to 30-50MPH.

These electric assist bikes that multiply your pedaling power seem like the way to go.

E: Russian Bear, can you tell me about the charger? My bike shed is outside and the EV charger is right next to it. It'd be pretty spiffy if the charger could just hang out in the shed, but the ones I'm seeing look like standard "power brick" things that would probably not appreciate being rained on.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 20, 2021

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jimong5 posted:

Spark EV is also around and owners in this thread have raved about it. The Leaf is also an option. If you are just looking fot a dirt cheap grocery getter those aren't bad choices.

Hell yeah the Spark EV's the best!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Jesus gently caress. IIRC the axle nut on a DC-10 main (52x20.5x23, and carrying ~50k lbs per tire) only took something like three hundred foot pounds.

We used a 3/4” drive torque wrench that was like three and a half feet long. Why they hell is Porsche using that much torque?

All the lateral forces from turning at high speeds? Because 5x80 lb-ft is 400 lb-ft? I don't know, I'm unfortunately not likely to be in the market for a GT3 in the near future. I think the official Porsche tool is ~$2k though, I should ask my Porsche mechanic acquaintance for more details.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

marshmonkey posted:

I love and fully support ebikes but this reads like the script the salesperson reads, lol.

I’m glad battery tech is getting to the point where you don’t need to worry about range any more.

I used to work in a bike shop and sell these when they first came out. I'm just super pumped on ebikes, because it might mean one less car on the road. Which is always better. Like I said at the end, I don't care what brand you pick to try out, I'm just most familiar with this one.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

All the lateral forces from turning at high speeds? Because 5x80 lb-ft is 400 lb-ft? I don't know, I'm unfortunately not likely to be in the market for a GT3 in the near future. I think the official Porsche tool is ~$2k though, I should ask my Porsche mechanic acquaintance for more details.

Teach me about torque. My Spark EV has 400 lb-ft of torque. I know this because I read some numbers on a website. If I jacked it up and somehow attached a wrench to the axle, could I tighten a GT3's wheels to spec?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't know, I'm unfortunately not likely to be in the market for a GT3 in the near future.

:(:hf::(

Right there with ya, bud.

If you do end up chatting up your Porsche friend, report back!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

Teach me about torque. My Spark EV has 400 lb-ft of torque. I know this because I read some numbers on a website. If I jacked it up and somehow attached a wrench to the axle, could I tighten a GT3's wheels to spec?

How's the stitching on your garage pants, especially around the crotch area?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Russian Bear posted:

I used to work in a bike shop and sell these when they first came out. I'm just super pumped on ebikes, because it might mean one less car on the road. Which is always better. Like I said at the end, I don't care what brand you pick to try out, I'm just most familiar with this one.

:hellyeah:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Wait a second, this goon may be onto something.

You dig a post hole 2 meters deep, sink your wrench with the 2-meter handle into it, and then use the motor on the car to tighten the lug nuts on its own wheel. Is that essentially the plan?

This is an idea with merit!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cruft posted:

Wait a second, this goon may be onto something.

You dig a post hole 2 meters deep, sink your wrench with the 2-meter handle into it, and then use the motor on the car to tighten the lug nuts on its own wheel. Is that essentially the plan?

This is an idea with merit!

The car will either bend the bar, snap the wrench or just flip itself over. 542 Nm is beyond the breaking point of even professional level tools that arent 3/4inch and impact with that kind of leverage.

Ask me how I know

1/2inch sockets exploding make a hell of a racket when tryign to undo a wheel bearing nut on the end of 4 meters of leverage and two sizable idiot rally mechanics.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

. It'd be pretty spiffy if the charger could just hang out in the shed, but the ones I'm seeing look like standard "power brick" things that would probably not appreciate being rained on.

On most bikes the batteries detach so you can charge them inside.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

I do plan on buying an ebike eventually, they look pretty sweet and I have a neighbor who loves his. That's a sweet helmet btw

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

I’m sorry you’re right I was just showing off

What a loser, those e-bikes are way cooler than your BIG RED TORQUE WRENCH!

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

That's not the right reason. I can't think of any new car that is designed to carry a spare, even a space saver one. Wheels are a lot bigger than they used to and space is at more of a premium.

RAV4 Prime comes with a space saver one; I think there's space for a full size one also.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Evil Robot posted:

RAV4 Prime comes with a space saver one; I think there's space for a full size one also.

Now I know of one! I'm sure there's more as well. It's an odd compromise for a plugin hybrid which has such big requirements for drive train space, but then again it is built on a platform shared by umpteen other models.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My car has a spare tire well but it's filled by the battery fan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ola posted:

Now I know of one! I'm sure there's more as well. It's an odd compromise for a plugin hybrid which has such big requirements for drive train space, but then again it is built on a platform shared by umpteen other models.

Sorento PHEV comes with a full size spare. Small fuel tank though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tyre goo and compressor here, though I don't think you're actually supposed to use it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

BIG RED TORQUE WRENCH!

If this isn't a country song yet, it should be.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tesla tires also don't like the goo because of the foam that's inside of them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mattfl posted:

Tesla tires also don't like the goo because of the foam that's inside of them.

Ditching those stupid Contisilents is the single biggest improvement you can make to a car.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

knox_harrington posted:

Tyre goo and compressor here, though I don't think you're actually supposed to use it.

If you do, you're likely to forfeit any attempt by a tyre repair shop to fix the leak. At least if they adhere to health and safety regulations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

If you do, you're likely to forfeit any attempt by a tyre repair shop to fix the leak. At least if they adhere to health and safety regulations.

Find me a tire shop that will repair a leak instead of selling you a new tire. There's no money in that at all, plus all the liability if the repair fails.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Ditching those stupid Contisilents is the single biggest improvement you can make to a car.

I have Pirelli's on my MYP, I'm not 100% the foam is in those or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Find me a tire shop that will repair a leak instead of selling you a new tire. There's no money in that at all, plus all the liability if the repair fails.

Les Schwab removed a bolt from our Model S tire and patched the hole.

For free.

And we hadn't bought the tires from them.