Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

Related:
Jurassic World was just a Syfy channel movie with a better budget and anyone that saw the extensive ad campaign and went in expecting something serious was fooling themselves. It was just as enjoyable as the original even if it had a different feel.

E:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's because deep down you knew inception was just a Total Recall knock off with It's head up It's rear end.

You are intensely weird and the fact that you were effortposting about how bad marvel movies are while now sucking off the incredibly lovely film Jurassic World is totally bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

rotinaj posted:

You are intensely weird and the fact that you were effortposting about how bad marvel movies are while now sucking off the incredibly lovely film Jurassic World is totally bizarre

I think you mixed me up with 90% of the forums there. They don't excite me bit I enjoy them well enough. I'm just guilty of bad taste and confusion as to how anyone walked into that theater expecting jw to be anything other than an incredibly stupid monster movie.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Jurassic world was bad because of the weird unsubtle “women must learn to love and want children” message

I took the exact opposite message away, since the film goes to great pains to show that Bryce doesn’t give a gently caress about her nephews at all, barely takes rescuing them seriously, and immediately forgets about them to run off with Crisp Rat at the end.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Danny Boyles best film is Sunshine

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

People who ask how long a movie is and react negatively to its extended runtime are exactly the same people who will binge Netflix for eight hours straight without a second thought.

When some friends learned I had never seen the LOTR movies they decided to remedy that by starting the movie. Its too bad it was 2 am, we were all really high, and they chose the director's cut for some god forsaken reason. I didn't even make it out of the Hobbit village before I wished death on all the characters and couldn't bring my self to even try to pretend to care. God was that a boring loving slog. I think we made it to when a girl was holding them at bow point and speaking in what I assume is Elvish when I told them I'm done and want Sauron to win. I had no idea who the characters were and only cared enough to learn them from their tombstones.

Its not even that I hate long movies since one of my favorites is Heat which is a LONG rear end movie. I still haven't seen any of the LOTR movies and honestly I don't feel like I missed anything. Long movies are fine as long as they have good pacing and are engaging.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I'm gonna guess that if you had started Heat for the first time at 2 in the morning while tripping balls you probably wouldn't have enjoyed that either.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I watched Batman vs. Superman while high and it felt like it was three weeks long.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
If anyone says "oh, you should watch this one sober" its not going to be a fun movie

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I do think the LOTR movies are overrated.

They're fine, I've definitely never wanted to revisit them though.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

All murder mysteries (tv included, yep) are heartless cruel poo poo and are only made because the makers and the audience have a perverted obsession fetish for killing and death. Only the pure and intelligent make the right decision not to watch them.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The LOTR movies are ok if you like LOTR have w lot of spare time, likes trivia about fantasy worlds and has a poor taste in movies.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You also have to skip the intro which even in the books is tonally out of place, thank God the movies cut tom bombadil as well. Thou it would make for nice random stoned rewatches maybe.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm gonna guess that if you had started Heat for the first time at 2 in the morning while tripping balls you probably wouldn't have enjoyed that either.

Enjoy, probably not

But when the bank heist starts it'd be hard to not at least be engaged with it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chrpno posted:

All murder mysteries (tv included, yep) are heartless cruel poo poo and are only made because the makers and the audience have a perverted obsession fetish for killing and death. Only the pure and intelligent make the right decision not to watch them.

Zodiac was pretty loving stellar imo. I'm kinda with you though, american fetishization of serial killers and their stories is pretty repulsive.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Zodiac was pretty loving stellar imo. I'm kinda with you though, american fetishization of serial killers and their stories is pretty repulsive.

It's not just American, there's plenty of British shows where the jolly old vicar whimsically investigates the spate of child sacrifices and exsanguinations in the parish

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I do think the LOTR movies are overrated.

They're fine, I've definitely never wanted to revisit them though.

This is me, but I'll also acknowledge that they were a complete paradigm shift in 2001, totally reinvented the template for how fantasy films would be made and marketed (fantasy films even a few years prior still seemed to be kicking the dead corpse of the Conan model). However, after 20 years of other films copying the LOTR formula verbatim I am absolutely exhausted with the idea of ever laying eyes on LOTR media ever again. It's trash for babies.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

I think you mixed me up with 90% of the forums there. They don't excite me bit I enjoy them well enough. I'm just guilty of bad taste and confusion as to how anyone walked into that theater expecting jw to be anything other than an incredibly stupid monster movie.
This would make sense if you didn't also say it's just as enjoyable as Jurassic Park. That's the part that is insane

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chrpno posted:

It's not just American, there's plenty of British shows where the jolly old vicar whimsically investigates the spate of child sacrifices and exsanguinations in the parish

Nah, were talking about fictional media, not just how the British live now days.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Fallen Kingdom might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen, period. It tries to be so many things:

A disaster movie with the island blowing up
A nostalgia filled goodbye to the island
A dumb action movie where Chris Pratt can outrun lava and hold his breath forever
A horror movie where something evil stalks the main characters
A movie about mankind trying to play God

But none of it works. Things that might be cool in a vacuum, like the new raptor loose inside a mansion? It falls apart because you don't care about any of the characters or anything that happens, since all the heroes are going to be totally fine and all the villains will get eaten by dinosaurs.

All great bullet points and exactly why FK is hot garbage. I’m just really tired of each sequel being “Okay, we really hosed up the last time and a lot of people got eaten, but this time it’s going to be totally fine and secure! Pinky promise!!” And then things get hosed up and a lot of people get eaten. Rinse and repeat :mediocre:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You Are A Elf posted:

All great bullet points and exactly why FK is hot garbage. I’m just really tired of each sequel being “Okay, we really hosed up the last time and a lot of people got eaten, but this time it’s going to be totally fine and secure! Pinky promise!!” And then things get hosed up and a lot of people get eaten. Rinse and repeat :mediocre:

To be fair, that kind of thinking is pretty much the only theme from the original to make it into every movie. It was an obviously terrible idea the first time too.

Martman posted:

This would make sense if you didn't also say it's just as enjoyable as Jurassic Park. That's the part that is insane

Hey, sometimes I don't want to think about themes and an incredibly angry man's hatred of corporate medicine to the point that he switched careers and proceeded to write the same screed against it over and over again in different sci-fi settings. Sometimes I just want to watch a dumb movie with a dumb monster cooked up in a lab eating people, with a side of other dumb monsters cooked up in a lab eating people.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Chrpno posted:

One time i turned on the television and there were THREE clergyman-investigates-murder-for-some-reason shows on at the same time. Two British and one Italian. Cleric/policeman hybrid characters are like catnip to old people

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

All I want is to see the uncut version of Maximum Overdrive. As is the violence was gnarly enough it was going to be rated X.

The story goes that Stephen King screened it for George Romero and it made him sick.

Still the best steamroller-vs-kid scene.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 21, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ishtar is not bad at all. It's not a comedy classic along the lines of A Night At the Opera or anything like that, but it can be pretty funny in places. Its status as one of the worst of all times was ginned up by bad press over behind the scenes drama.

I dislike westerns as a genre, but the best western of all time is Blazing Saddles.

I recently watched the original Mad Max for the first time, and I was really unimpressed with it. Maybe there's a cultural importance to the film I've missed - Gibson's first big hit? The first major film to come from Australia? Don't know, but Mad Max seemed like other testosterone-fueled revenge fantasies I've seen - done better - a half dozen other times. Inevitably, the guy's partner is killed in a spectacular fashion....and the love interest is captured....and the hero has his Final Showdown with the main villain which includes a memorably gristly death scene (either the villain's or the hero's or both). Yawn.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 22, 2021

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

We're only talking about Mad Max (1) because its sequel was insanely good and successful and influential. It's a funny little weird cheapo local movie, certainly not a work of greatness. Even the title is kinda silly.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

For a budget of 350 grand its a pretty watchable movie with some fun ideas.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I recently watched the original Mad Max for the first time, and I was really unimpressed with it. Maybe there's a cultural importance to the film I've missed - Gibson's first big fit? The first major film to come from Australia? Don't know, but Mad Max seemed like other testosterone-fueled revenge fantasies I've seen - done better - a half dozen other times. Inevitably, the guy's partner is killed in a spectacular fashion....and the love interest is captured....and the hero has his Final Showdown with the main villain which includes a memorably gristly death scene (either the villain's or the hero's or both). Yawn.

Are you posting this having watched the Mad Max films or was this your first time with the series?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is it unpopular to say Joss Whedon sucks? cause Joss Whedon sucks

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Away all Goats posted:

Is it unpopular to say Joss Whedon sucks? cause Joss Whedon sucks

The Boys season 2 was so-so but they did have a good burn on him with their version of avengers as a villain admires how well Joss writes women

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's kinda funny.

Is he worse than Zack Snyder though?

I remember liking Firefly, though I'm not one of the goober superfans. I've hated every single thing I've seen from Snyder.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm OK with regular murder mysteries but serial killers are boring as poo poo.

I'm interested in the guy under pressure at work who snapped and killed someone tangentially related or w/e. You know, actual human motivations taken to extremes and wrapped up in a mystery plot.

Some nutter who sees God in the blood patterns, or just enjoys killing, doesn't have any human motivation or character. Dangerous animal; who cares.

Either way true crime shows about real murders are uncomfortably ghoulish IMO.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Beartaco posted:

Are you posting this having watched the Mad Max films or was this your first time with the series?

First time. Is the sequel better?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

2 is far better, 3 mediocre and the result of 2 different stories being slammed together into 1 movie but has a couple of iconic moments in the first half, and Fury Road is arguably the best action spectacle of all time, with mind boggling stunt work and usage of practical effects and stunts.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The best way to watch them is to watch Mad Max t
2: The Road Warrior first then watch Mad Max as a prequel and then watch Thunderdome.

My unpopular movie opinion: Mad Max fury Road is a good movie but Road Warrior is still better.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Yeah, Mad Max 1 is generally viewed at best as a weird oddity. Watching that one first is a pitfall a lot of people fall into. It's a low budget action movie set in rural Australia which isn't at all what the series is about. A lot of people get turned off by it, and for good reason, and don't bother checking out the sequels which people actually have affection for.

2 is the classic Mad Max, 3 is the concept taken to the extreme and then made into a family friendly Spielberg-esque romp like what Terminator 2 did to the original Terminator (and I say that in the most affectionate way possible), and Fury Road is one of the greatest films of all time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fury Road is relentlessly paced, it owns so hard

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Fury Road is relentlessly paced, it owns so hard

It stars to drag towards the end.

Everything up until the first sandstorm is amazing though.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The best way I can describe Mad Max 1 is that it's more of a dystopian film than a post-apocalyptic film. People go in expecting the latter when the film is really about how poo poo society has become and is really on the verge of falling apart. Max is kind of one of the few threads holding it together but it's not going to last.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior takes it to its natural progression which is society has completely collapsed. Max is kind of along for the ride at this point as people ride around in vehicle convoys and survive by living in make-shift communities all sealed off. The series took its cues from this film along with a LOT of post-apocalyptic works over the decades. So now people come to associate the series with this film and the original is pretty much an oddity even if it started there for a reason.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PeterCat posted:

It stars to drag towards the end.

yeah, drag a screaming body through an exploding meatgrinder at 80mph

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

moreover, mother! is firmly in my top 10 of the last decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
The result of "practical effects" bullshit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982733