Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The trick to drinking at work is to take iron wool to the outside of your tallboy of Steel Reserve and remove all the markings. Then if a coworker asks what you're drinking just say "I think it's root beer I found it on the discount rack at the grocery store."

Also I couldn't find any comments on the pepper spraying when I looked up that story, which would be my first question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

T Bowl posted:

His "do those dishes" line is straight up divorce material, gently caress off you piece of poo poo. Poor lady thinks she might be the rear end in a top hat.

'Spoiler alert! These dishes aren't going to do themselves!'

Spoiler alert, I'm going to loving RUIN your face

hawowanlawow posted:

wow, an angry disc golf player

Is that a thing? I've played disc golf for years and never met anyone like that. They are usually high as hell too, really only dangerous to a family size bag of chips

Uncle ShortyB posted:

AITA for drinking a single Busch Light every day with lunch?

Why didn't he mention that there's nothing about it in the employee handbook? If there isn't seems like it's fine.

That being said probably not the healthiest thing and I wonder how many beers this guy drinks every day after work anyways. Because I'm exactly like that, luckily I go home for lunch so I can do as I please

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Invisible Clergy posted:

As far as subs not to waste your time with, despite our legacy title, I very seldom find good content in r/relationships. Most of the posts there are boring, and the ones that aren't are just straight up abuse, which we thankfully don't post here anymore. I also avoid justnomil, estrangedparents, or raisedbynarcissists. Aside from their impenetrable nomenclature, naming all the characters single initials and enforced use of a zillion stupid acronyms, the stories themselves are really long and not that interesting.
It's really, really hard to read stories about characters named A, B, C, and D. I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's just really hard to scan.

cumshitter posted:

The trick to drinking at work is to take iron wool to the outside of your tallboy of Steel Reserve and remove all the markings.
That sounds like a lot more work than pouring your booze into an empty bottle.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cumshitter posted:

The trick to drinking at work is to take iron wool to the outside of your tallboy of Steel Reserve and remove all the markings. Then if a coworker asks what you're drinking just say "I think it's root beer I found it on the discount rack at the grocery store."

Also I couldn't find any comments on the pepper spraying when I looked up that story, which would be my first question.

What I don't get about some of the "drinking at work" stories is like, how tf does anyone else not just smell it on their breath? Like, fuckin absinthe, how did that absinthe interviewer not just emit a 5ft odour of alcohol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kenshin posted:

This is hilarious because I've worked at multiple places with kegerators or beer in the fridge and would regularly (though not every day!) have a beer with lunch. So would other folks. Nobody cared.

Hooray PNW software office culture!

my last office had a case of Peronis gathering dust in the breakroom for years because everyone there had the basic sense to know a trap when they see one and was somehow able to resist the siren call of day-drinking with the accounting lady long enough to make it home before getting blasted. But uh I'm glad for your office culture of rubes and alcoholics too

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The worst are those weird mother in law subs where they can't just say "husband" or "fiance" or "boyfriend" or "mom" or "MIL" , everything is some stupid sub-specific acronym like: "So my DDBO5Y* got into a fight with my ATBM** and now my DBHS*** is threatening to go NC"

*Dearest Darling Boyfriend of 5 years
** Awful Terrible Bio-Mom
*** Darling Boyfriend's Horrible Sister

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't remember explicitly seeing Don't Drink At Work in an employee handbook

I would think any reasonable person would think that was the default condition

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

my last office had a case of Peronis gathering dust in the breakroom for years because everyone there had the basic sense to know a trap when they see one and was somehow able to resist the siren call of day-drinking with the accounting lady long enough to make it home before getting blasted. But uh I'm glad for your office culture of rubes and alcoholics too
I was gonna say--the problem with free booze at work is that your employer can always accuse you of being a drunk and fire you with cause, and how are you going to fight that? I think of this guy's story whenever the perks of a stereotypical startup environment come up.

And Peroni is not very good, in my opinion.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

There's a CAH kids edition. It's call Apples to loving Apples, it's where you got the game in the first place you fucks!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Pouring whiskey into your coffee doesn't give you the same plausible deniability of "I had no idea what I was drinking from the mystery can."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If your plan is to be able to deny that you knew you were drinking booze, from the can that you bought and brought to work...well, I've never worked for anyone that stupid, but vaya con Dios.

Edit: One time I bought drinks for work, and the ginger beer was so spicy that some people just assumed they were tasting alcohol.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

If your plan is to be able to deny that you knew you were drinking booze, from the can that you bought and brought to work...well, I've never worked for anyone that stupid, but vaya con Dios.

"I've never tasted alcohol before. Now I know!"

Ironclad defense.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I was gonna say--the problem with free booze at work is that your employer can always accuse you of being a drunk and fire you with cause, and how are you going to fight that? I think of this guy's story whenever the perks of a stereotypical startup environment come up.

And Peroni is not very good, in my opinion.

personally, and this is just me, even if there were no drawbacks and getting buzzed at work was my idea of fun I'd still rather be paid in money than in mediocre beer or pizza or whatever, and get out early enough that I can drink on my own time with my actual friends. It's like a twelve-year-old's idea of a good job perk

My boss drunk-dialed my husband

quote:

I work at a high level in marketing, and I’m supervised by Tammy, an older, moody, and somewhat unpredictable woman. Besides her, everyone I work with is pleasant. A few weeks ago, we had a massive networking event and dinner for my industry that spouses were invited to, so my boss and everyone got to meet my husband for the first time. It seemed to go well.

Then, the following Friday night, my husband told me that he received a very strange call from someone he thought sounded like Tammy (she has his number as my emergency contact). It was fairly late in the evening (I was staying at my parents’ house that night to help out, as my mother was recovering from surgery). He said he answered the phone, and a lady who sounded like Tammy asked him what he was doing that night. He said she sounded kinda drunk. He asked her if this was Tammy, my boss, and she chuckled and said yes. After a couple more moments of somewhat slurred speech, he hung up and she didn’t call back. He immediately told me about it when I got home.

The next Monday morning, Tammy seemed completely normal and didn’t say a word about it. I do know that she enjoys drinking quite a bit at night, as she has said so herself before. As long as she isn’t out driving, I figured there was no harm to it, but now I’m not so sure.

I am angry that Tammy, whether she remembers it or not, tried to come on to my husband. I wanted to confront her, but I have no idea what I would say. My husband is upset as well and thinks Tammy was out of line. Am I just supposed to try to forget this ever happened? I can’t look at Tammy the same way anymore.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 20, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Halloween Jack posted:

It's really, really hard to read stories about characters named A, B, C, and D. I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's just really hard to scan.

You're not. It's the whole reason humans invented names in the first place.

Occasionally, when an otherwise interesting post from aita or something uses initials for character names as its only flaw, I will just make up names for the characters (and put a note in the post for posterity obvs) but with the subs I listed, there's so much just dross and bullshit, it makes it impossible to quickly tweak without rewriting the whole story, and life's too short.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you are at the point where you are coming up with plans to hide your drinking from other people then uh,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sneaking a drink at work is fun; of course it's a problem when it becomes a way of life.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Occasionally, when an otherwise interesting post from aita or something uses initials for character names as its only flaw, I will just make up names for the characters (and put a note in the post for posterity obvs) but with the subs I listed, there's so much just dross and bullshit, it makes it impossible to quickly tweak without rewriting the whole story, and life's too short.
We used to have a thread in Trad Games about making fun of people for being douchebags about Dungeons & Dragons. Some of the relevant forums were so deep in jargon they'd created that it was impossible to make head or tail of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alchenar posted:

If you are at the point where you are coming up with plans to hide your drinking from other people then uh,

I cover up my tell-tale breath with Sen-Sen

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Alchenar posted:

Guys, cumshitter is joking, you can break up the intervention now, lol.

personally, and this is just me, even if there were no drawbacks and getting buzzed at work was my idea of fun I'd still rather be paid in money than in mediocre beer or pizza or whatever, and get out early enough that I can drink on my own time with my actual friends. It's like a twelve-year-old's idea of a good job perk

My boss drunk-dialed my husband

Well, yeah. That's the whole scam with these. Any of these crappy techbro startups will stress how they have a ping pong table and a FREE CEREAL BAR and free beer or whatever it's to trick you into working an hour of unpaid overtime for $0.14 worth of raisin bran and staying in the office for longer than 9-5.

Baronjutter posted:

This is what gets me with so so many of these stories. Apparently a huge number of people just have zero spine or self respect and will put up with everything or have come to normalize incredibly hosed up poo poo because they've just not experienced anything else. "Hey my mom tried to cut off my daughter's hand for the 3rd time, feel bad going no contact though as family will get mad. Just going to try to keep knives away from her when she visits." "Hi my dog's in the vet again after my girlfriend poisoned him again but I can't afford the vet bills since she stole all the money from my account. I feel I'd be in the wrong breaking up because she has anxiety issues" "My roommate is actively shooting at me right now, forgive grammar as I'm posting on my phone behind a makeshift barrier dodging bullets. Roommate is unemployed so if we kick him out he might have trouble finding a new place, would I be the rear end in a top hat if we did?"

Like its just insane what people can put up with.

Yeah, when it's just the OP who's involved, you can say "all right, enjoy your life of poop crumbs," but when they rope innocent people and animals into it, they cease to be victims and become complicit with the person actively doing the abuse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

Guys, cumshitter is joking, you can break up the intervention now, lol.
Intervention, hell, I'm just saying put it in a Camelbak.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Intervention, hell, I'm just saying put it in a Camelbak.

Camelback on the shoulders, stadium pal on the ankle.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
There's also the risk that not everyone in your office understands "moderation" the same way and once your office gets to a certain size, the higher the chance some idiot is going to say "Well if Jimbob in Accounting has a light beer with lunch, my boys in the Sales team can do 5+ rounds of shots! It's not like we're DRIVING anywhere after, plus it's Thirsty Thursday!"

I worked in a tech bro office that had booze privileges taken away after a couple dudes who were in denial about their alcohol problems started cracking beers open at 10 am and drinking for the rest of the day. They only ever had one beer open at a time, jeez, what's the big deal? And of course they would give some to the underage interns, who cares?? Everyone is soo uptight!

It's just easier all around to say "no alcohol at work".

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Well, yeah. That's the whole scam with these. Any of these crappy techbro startups will stress how they have a ping pong table and a FREE CEREAL BAR and free beer or whatever it's to trick you into working an hour of unpaid overtime for $0.14 worth of raisin bran and staying in the office for longer than 9-5.
FWIW none of these were startups in the least and the only people working 40+ hour weeks regularly were the ones that couldn't manage their own work/time properly

and the pay was not lower for those office perks

Not that you're wrong about stuff like that being there to encourage people to work longer, but it only works if you let it.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I remember one overly flattering article about some recent college graduate who landed a job at Google and lived out of a truck he parked in their employee lot. Laundry, showering, food, etc. was available in the Google offices.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
When it's Friday afternoon and you can finally crack open a hard earned cold one, that's a special feeling, I don't know why you'd want to diminish that by sucking down one or two beers a day all week long. Plus who wants to go back to work after they've been in chill mode drinking a beer anyways?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There’s masturbating furiously, and masturbating furiously.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I once worked at a chemical distribution company where the new hire was a guy in his forties that I saw drinking hand sanitizer.

I ended up pushing for him to be fired once he started asking about the alcohol content in our products.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In a relationship like that there's nothing you can do. Except drive her into the woods and leave her to the raccoons.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I once worked at a chemical distribution company where the new hire was a guy in his forties that I saw drinking hand sanitizer.

I ended up pushing for him to be fired once he started asking about the alcohol content in our products.
I feel bad for that guy and I hope HR got him help instead of just showing him the door. I wouldn't want someone dying from eating Sterno on my watch either, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA I refused to share diet with my pregnant wife

quote:

I(27M) am a nutritionist and fitness trainer. My wife(23F) is a SAHW. She's now 5 months pregnant.

My mom came to our home to help my wife out as she's having a difficult pregnancy. She's being made to eat only green leafy vegetables, other veggies, rice, Indian flatbread, lentils and curd. My mom makes bland food for her since she's unable to keep anything down. My mom is also very strict about her not eating too much oil, sweets, junk, etc.

I make separate food containing meat, eggs, milk, spices etc. for myself and my mom. I and my mom do the household chores since my wife is unable to do anything due to severe nausea, bloating, acidity, etc.

My wife has started to feelbead because she's stuck eating bland food while we eat spiced food containing meat.

I tried consoling her by telling her that it's just for 4 more months but she said since she is likely to have a C section, she'll not be allowed to have anything but bland food for 2 months at least.

My mom said she'll have to eat it for longer than that as eating spicy and non vegetarian food is bad for nursing women.

My wife then told me she wants me to give her company by eating the same food as her. I refused because I prefer animal protein over plant protein. I however told her that I'd stop eating junk foods, sweets, etc.

She is now mad at me and is saying that I'm selfish for not even sacrificing my current food habits for her.

AITA?

AITA For not allowing a woman to go into my backyard because I’m living in her childhood home?

quote:

I was home alone and my fiancé was at work. We live in a nice home in a very safe part of town.

It was 1 pm and I was doing the dishes when all of a sudden the doorbell rang. I went to check the peephole and it was a woman and man I didn’t recognize. I opened the door and asked them if they needed help. The woman introduced herself as Lacy and the man was her fiancé Todd. Lacy told me she lived in my house when she was a little girl. She wanted to look at my backyard since that is where she had her fondest memories.

I told her no and it visibly upset her. Her fiancé said it would only take 3 minutes, but I told them I didn’t know them and I was uncomfortable. Lacy then told me “I knew kindness was very rare these days” and they left.

AITA!

EDIT- YIKES! Just asked my neighbour who lived in her home for decades if someone named Lacy lived next to her. She said the previous owners (who she knew fairly well and who themselves lived in the house for a very long time) were Childless and weren't close to their families. She never saw a little girl or ever heard the name Lacy*
Jesus. Apparently this is a known way of casing a house. That is a thing that would not even have occurred to me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel bad for that guy and I hope HR got him help instead of just showing him the door. I wouldn't want someone dying from eating Sterno on my watch either, though.

It was a small company with less than fifteen employees in the US, HR isn’t required.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You're a fitness trainer, rear end in a top hat! Just gorge yourself on ridiculous amounts of protein when she's not around; you're used to it!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bullshit. Gotta eat those ghost chillies and Carolina reapers so the child doesn't grow up thinking mayonnaise is spicy.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Soylent Pudding posted:

Bullshit. Gotta eat those ghost chillies and Carolina reapers so the child doesn't grow up thinking mayonnaise is spicy.
Yeah and maybe peanuts so we don't get another kid that has to ruin it for everyone around them

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I feel like women in many cultures would be very surprised to learn the spoilered info.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I'm at work so I can't post much but I wanted to say that this thread iteration needs the Timothy story.

Also for the last time, it's DIPAC because you read it like dye pack, like the thing that blows up in your face, much like these relationships

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What was the most recent title of the last thread from?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cumshitter posted:

I remember one overly flattering article about some recent college graduate who landed a job at Google and lived out of a truck he parked in their employee lot. Laundry, showering, food, etc. was available in the Google offices.

Honestly, if I were that young, single, and had the skillet to get hired by the Google overlords, I'd be all about this

Fuckin 90% of his after tax income he invests or puts against his students loans, godDAMN

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for refusing to eat traditional British food cooked by my British step-mother in law because it's gross to me?

quote:

For context I, Indian-American (28F) who grew up vegetarian, was introduced to meat by my Italian-American husband Massimo (31M)(fake name). So I became a meat eater 3 years ago.

I started out by eating his mom's home cooked food, which is really good. I only eat chicken, fish and bacon, and have grown quite fond of the texture and taste of chicken and bacon.

My husband's biological father Arthur (49M) is British and lives with his family in the UK. After my husband reconnected with his bio dad, his dad booked tickets for us to visit him in the UK.

The first day we were invited to join them for breakfast at their family home, and his dad's wife had prepared all kinds of traditional delicacies for us.

Although the food was bland, I powered through most of them because I genuinely appreciated her hard work and didn't want her to feel bad. However, when it was time for us to try their family favorite, I absolutely noped out of it. I did not want to eat black pudding. I know one of the ingredients is blood, and I definitely did not want to eat blood. I refused to. It's just gross to me.

My step MIL tried really hard to convince me to at least try it, as it was apparently a 100 year old family recipe passed down through generations. When I didn't budge, my step MIL got really offended and accused me of being xenophobic.

AITA?
Classic.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Truant posted:

Honestly, if I were that young, single, and had the skillet to get hired by the Google overlords, I'd be all about this

Fuckin 90% of his after tax income he invests or puts against his students loans, godDAMN

It's certainly not bad with money but I have a feeling if you described a planned community for Google employees where all services and housing are provided by Google you could pretty easily talk him into agreeing that company towns are a good idea. So I find it a bit unsettling.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

cumshitter posted:

It's certainly not bad with money but I have a feeling if you described a planned community for Google employees where all services and housing are provided by Google you could pretty easily talk him into agreeing that company towns are a good idea. So I find it a bit unsettling.

They're not company towns anymore, they're innovation zones!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY_xDkjRI2k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Just Because Of A Status? HELP!!

Not as funny as some of them, sure, but I love the "sarcastic emojis".

I'm learning magic and one of the YouTube channels I follow has a good saying that seems to apply here: Don't run when you're not being chased. This girl did a whole loving triathalon when she wasn't being chased.