Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone want to make a guess for me on when we start seeing different rarities within a run, both as drops and in the safe room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I've been playing on console and this entire time I thought the red attachments were rare and not the broken garbage they are.

Act 3 finale is a nightmare when the guys who spit webs at you spawn.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Why the hell does the game change monitors every time I got a loading screen? As soon as I go to the options it swaps back :psyduck:

ALSO why the gently caress does the game unload your secondary pistol every new stage?

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Decided to try snipers on a recruit run. The Barrett is amazing DPS on bosses and 1-2 shots specials. Pretty cool.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

How do you deal with horses of commons, though? The only way I could see doing a sniper is something like a dual primary sniper/shotgun build. Especially if I'm not with a coordinated team.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Hoekie posted:

Decided to try snipers on a recruit run. The Barrett is amazing DPS on bosses and 1-2 shots specials. Pretty cool.

Yeah I decided to try it and just happened to get it with a bunch of good upgrades for an ogre + a ton of specials and it absolutely wrecks.

My secondary was a glock (non auto) with a lolworthy amount of reload and speed upgrades so it was basically just a submachine gun for the commons.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why the hell does the game change monitors every time I got a loading screen? As soon as I go to the options it swaps back :psyduck:

ALSO why the gently caress does the game unload your secondary pistol every new stage?

okay it's not just me, I thought I was somehow forgetting to reload on quickswaps

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How do you deal with horses of commons, though? The only way I could see doing a sniper is something like a dual primary sniper/shotgun build. Especially if I'm not with a coordinated team.

When sniping I dedicate three cards to dealing with commons: Combat Knife, Adrenaline Fueled, and Battle Lust. If I'm using a Barrett then I'll also pick up a machete or bat to shore up it's weaknesses even further. Combat Knife is great for sniping because you can stab a common while you're cycling the bolt, giving you basically double the common-killing power of your rifle alone. The combination of Adrenaline Fueled's stamina-on-kill and Battle Lust's heal-on-melee-kill are what makes this work against hordes. You have to actually aim - the knife has a small hitbox - but you can kill a ton of commons quickly and without getting your health totally wrecked for it. Plus you can now heal up from picking off lone commons or occasionally go ham with a bat or machete if you're getting really swarmed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd just take a melee weapon because the combat knife seems to get rid of your ability to shove, which always, always fucks me if i don't have it.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

moist turtleneck posted:

okay it's not just me, I thought I was somehow forgetting to reload on quickswaps

I think their Trello board listed that as a bug.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Is it too late for me to get in on games? I've played very little and only got like two cards. Is anyone still willing to do Recruit runs?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
this is the most immensely weird game to join in on mid session, like why does it have to be so hosed up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The weirdest part to me is how no matter which character you pick on the next map, you're still stuck with the innate ability of whatever character the bot you spawned as on the previous map was.

If I'm doing quickplay I often will leave if it's in the middle of a map. I don't like doing it, but often it's really clear the run is hosed. I generally only create runs myself now, but it worries me that other people are doing the same thing and it'll reduce the pool for matchmaking.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 21, 2021

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The weirdest part to me is how no matter which character you pick on the next map, you're still stuck with the innate ability of whatever character the bot you spawned as on the previous map was.

If I'm doing quickplay I often will leave if it's in the middle of a map. I don't like doing it, but often it's really clear the run is hosed. I generally only create runs myself now, but it worries me that other people are doing the same thing and it'll reduce the pool for matchmaking.

Ooooh, it's WORSE than that.

Let's say you backfill a live match, and you can pick from the bots. You pick Holly. You get her [BOT] Character card, everything seems good. Then at the map transition, you're prompted to select what character you want to play. If you pick Walker, you still have Holly's card. Kinda sucks if you wanted Walker's perks. But let's say you did want to play Holly and you repick her at the intermission.

The game takes away the [BOT] Holly character card... and never gives you your own copy. Congratulations, you have no character perk at all!

This is truly a mindfuck of a bug, it existed in the Beta, and I'm shocked it's still in the game given how much QuickPlay is used for backfill games in progress.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Quickplay is bizarre. In the last one on the mine level, I spawned as Walker in the start safe room while everyone else was at the end saferoom so I had to run the entire empty level. There was a dead Hoffman, but there were also 5 players running around including another Walker. Then at the start of the next level, the game gave me 5 free cards then let me draw 30 more. I felt like I was dreaming.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Played the game for a few hours on game pass. Seems like it's missing the l4d charm at least for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I like B4B better than L4D.

It's flawed, but I think it's the best co-op game I have played in a long time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i went back and played through L4D, both games. I had a fun night but i've already uninstalled them. The people who really love L4D and in the same post slate the gunplay of B4B are insane

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

As someone that loved L4D, it's the specials that really soured me on B4B (caveat, I've only played the two betas). I didn't like the attachment + copper systems but I could live with those. But all the specials except for maybe the hocker just felt like bullet sponges that sapped all the fun from the game whenever more than one was spawned at a time.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Aside from weird buggy things, my main complaint is that the special "variants" (for lack of a better term) look almost identical to each other and it's almost impossible to tell which one it is unless it's doing an attack. Like a tallboy looks exactly like a crusher looks exactly like the other one of those.

While this doesn't exactly matter all that much because you deal with them all in approximately the same way no matter which variant they are, I wish there was more visual distinction just so they felt more different, and with a couple you do want to handle them slightly different, like the vomiting boomer guy you want know about since they can vomit across half the map while the other ones can't.

It's a minor quibble but it bugs me.

Oh also I don't like the weakpoint locations of a couple of the specials because they're impossible to hit unless you wait for it to attack someone, which sort of makes the weakpoint pointless on them.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Just wondering if anyone has noticed some horror references in the game? The most obvious I've seen is the carpet in one of the earlier levels is from The Shining movie. When you have the hatchet equipped with cards that accelerate the melee speed, it has a similar tempo and sound to The Entity attacks in that movie.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

SettingSun posted:

at the start of the next level, the game gave me 5 free cards then let me draw 30 more. I felt like I was dreaming.

This happens to me a ton. I'll quickplay into a game in the middle of an act and be allowed to draw my entire deck plus like another ten generic upgrade cards.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just wondering if anyone has noticed some horror references in the game?

idk where it is, but I saw someone post a picture of a street sign that was like Crystal Lake x Elm St

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Pharmaskittle posted:

This happens to me a ton. I'll quickplay into a game in the middle of an act and be allowed to draw my entire deck plus like another ten generic upgrade cards.

I got the opposite, quickplay'd into the end of act 1 and it gave me zero cards. Kinda weird.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Copper Collector and Money Grubber are really good. Last few times I played with those cards, I was able to afford both team upgrades by myself and still have money to spare. It's real nice.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not horror, but there's a safe room graffiti that says "This used to be a nice neighborhood!", which was a line Coach used in the l4d2 trailer.

I also saw that Shining carpet and thought it was a great touch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

marshmallow creep posted:

Copper Collector and Money Grubber are really good. Last few times I played with those cards, I was able to afford both team upgrades by myself and still have money to spare. It's real nice.

I'm actually convinced most teams should start off with 4x copper scavenger, as apparently it stacks. That and the 10% interest card alone should keep you fully topped off money wise the entire run.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not horror, but there's a safe room graffiti that says "This used to be a nice neighborhood!", which was a line Coach used in the l4d2 trailer.

I also saw that Shining carpet and thought it was a great touch.

Nice catch! Anyone else?

The more I play this game the more I like it. It's not Left 4 Dead but it's really gelling with me now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

As someone that loved L4D, it's the specials that really soured me on B4B (caveat, I've only played the two betas). I didn't like the attachment + copper systems but I could live with those. But all the specials except for maybe the hocker just felt like bullet sponges that sapped all the fun from the game whenever more than one was spawned at a time.

With the caveat that I haven't played Nightmare yet, that seems to be the game wanting you to engage with the card system. Once I built a shotgun deck with a lot of weakpoint bonus damage, they're feeling more like L4D enemies. I can take down most Tallboy variants in a single reload in Veteran.

Team composition is HUGE in this game. You really need, at the very least, a dedicated medic and 2-3 dedicated damage dealers, and I'm sure you could refine that even more with 4 coordinated players on a private game. I always wait for my teammates to pick characters and if no one goes Doc, I go with her and my medic build, and otherwise, I usually go Walker and my shotgun build.

Even with all the problems, I'm getting L4D feels from this game, and I can see myself playing it long term. I hope the season pass actually has content worth the price.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 21, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
This game has a lot of rough edges, though my regular co-op group is generally enjoying it.

However, those Act 2 levels with the insta-death water, and the fact that it will occasionally spawn an exploder five feet from you, is hot bullshit.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I flit between "man this game sucks" and "drat this game is a blast" entirely because of who I play with. Playing with randos? Garbage, even on recruit. If I never see another rando trip over birds or security doors ever again it will be too soon. But play in a 4 stack with people who understand they have to fulfill a role and maintain discipline, the game is a riot.

Even so, sometimes special spawns are just straight cruel and it feels like even with perfect play the game just says get hosed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've begun to prioritize staying away from water over any other tactical concern. Like on Pain Train, act 1 map 2, there's a tiny sliver of coast before the grain elevator, by the cargo containers. I will hug the side far from the cliff and I don't care what it costs, I don't care if there's acid on the ground, because I once got surprise booped into the water and died, and that's right before the grain elevator finale.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm kind of on the other side. The game is ok, and when the AI director or whatever doesn't just decide to gently caress your poo poo up with a dozen specials and an ogre at the same time, its got some fun in there. But I don't see myself playing much of it outside of when my cousin or friends want to play, its just too hard to play outside of a group, both in terms of difficulty but also just getting into a game in progress is incredibly busted on every level. Like it almost seems like its been made to be actively hostile to those not playing in a premade group, between the bugs and the incredibly weird design choices.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I really wish there was an intermediate difficulty between recruit and veteran. Really all I want is a difficulty that has recruit level enemy health/damage, but doesn't give you the 4 free heals out of every healing station. It almost totally removes the battle of attrition trauma damage element, which I think is very important for people to learn before attempting veteran. I also think the game needs some mechanic to ease the difficulty on the first few stages of an act before your card build starts to take off. Maybe like a "Well rested" or "Clean guns" or something damage bonus that tapers off after a stage or two.

El Cid fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 21, 2021

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

El Cid posted:

I really wish there was an intermediate difficulty between recruit and veteran. Really all I want is a difficulty that has recruit level enemy health/damage, but doesn't give you the 4 free heals out of every healing station. It almost totally removes the battle of attrition trauma damage element, which I think is very important for people to learn before attempting veteran.

This probably won't work group-wide with pubbies, but for yourself or a group you play with you could simply not use them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I skipped the tutorial the first time around cause I randomly pushed escape.

when I hit "replay tutorial with friends" and then turn on matchmaking, it drops me into a new game with 3 bots, and after finishing the first level I didn't get any supply points.

is that because
a) despite requesting matchmaking I played the game solo, and so don't get supply points

or

b) because supply lines don't unlock until you get to fort hope? last night I did Act 1.2 with actual friends and have received and spent supply points already.

second question: if I were to continue playing with these bots, would I unlock the last 4 characters at the end of Act 1.1?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
bots are very bad. they were worse in the beta, but also the dropin behaviour in the beta was much better and you could just get a friend to hop on, embody the bot who's stuck in the loving turret literally 2/3rds of the way back in the map with a point of no return between you and run them forward. we had to do that several times actually, lol.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

a) despite requesting matchmaking I played the game solo, and so don't get supply points
It's this. And:

Fate Accomplice posted:

second question: if I were to continue playing with these bots, would I unlock the last 4 characters at the end of Act 1.1?
No.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Xaiter posted:

Ooooh, it's WORSE than that.

Let's say you backfill a live match, and you can pick from the bots. You pick Holly. You get her [BOT] Character card, everything seems good. Then at the map transition, you're prompted to select what character you want to play. If you pick Walker, you still have Holly's card. Kinda sucks if you wanted Walker's perks. But let's say you did want to play Holly and you repick her at the intermission.

The game takes away the [BOT] Holly character card... and never gives you your own copy. Congratulations, you have no character perk at all!

This is truly a mindfuck of a bug, it existed in the Beta, and I'm shocked it's still in the game given how much QuickPlay is used for backfill games in progress.

Also better hope you didn't want any of those high rarity weapons the bots have when you select them, cause you will only ever get that character's base kit, unless it bugs out and gives you a Hoffman with Holly's kit, like what happened to me yesterday

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Something that I'm not sure is mentioned enough is that movement is extremely powerful in this game. It doesn't seem to have L4D deathracing, where you literally out-distance the game via strategic-scale speed, but I think tactical movement is actually more important in B4B. A ton of the specials are designed such that they're great at dumping on the player they're targeting, but doing so leaves them vulnerable to the rest of the team (the bruiser/tallboy being the posterchild of this, though the barfing guy is another example). If you're the closest and/or clearly the target then it's often less costly to reposition and let your team kill it. Hell, I've managed this with stingers and hockers - they don't seem to be hitscan attacks, they have to actually lead you and you can juke them if you're on the move. Context always matters of course; trying to reposition during a common horde is Very Difficult, and geometry is always a limiting factor. Just remember that you don't have to hunker down and magdump in every situation. I'm learning that some flexibility can actually avoid some of the seemingly-unavoidable attrition.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i do appreciate that red dot sights are fuzzy for mom because she has old person eyes