Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Niwrad posted:

He also voted to convict Trump which would be a death knell in any future primary.

yeah. he knows where his bread is buttered. i don't think he is going to switch. maybe if he runs for governor which is does the tag in poo poo with justice or whatever. but until then no. if he meant it or put it out there, he would have let it hang their for longer then hour before screaming bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Paracaidas posted:

Sussmann's lawyers continue a very bad no good week for Durham's attempts at prosecution and efforts to find something, anything, to litigate against a Dem regarding Trump and Russia.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1445890914895941633
Now, IANAL. But generally, you have an uphill battle when the sole witness to the allegedly false statement had previously testified in front of congress that he couldn't recall whether or not the defendant said anything to that effect. To that end, one would hope your indictment would specify the actual false statement that your sole witness remembered years later. Or at least maintain a consistency in the innuendo about its content. One should also generally decide if the issue is that Sussmann lied, omitted things, or both. And, in both instances, specify the lies or omissions.
Following up, Durham has gone ahead and filed his opposition

There are a lot of :allears: arguments here, but my favorites are that letting the defendant know the precise false statement he is charged with making would be unfairly giving the defense insight into trial strategy and that they're not entitled to other details of the alleged crimes because the government has (literally today) or will provide that information in the future.

A reminder that IANAL and some of what has me :rolleyes:, like the discovery/particluar bits, strikes me as just standard american justice system kafka. On the other hand, this:

quote:

soon after his meeting with the defendant, the FBI General Counsel spoke with the assistant director of the FBI counterintelligence division. During their conversation, the general counsel conveyed the substance of his meeting with the defendant. The assistant director took contemporaneous notes of this conversation, which reflect that the defendant told the general counsel that he "was not doing this for any client"
Strikes me as the impression of the assistant director of the impression of the general counsel of his meeting with Sussmann which strikes me as exceedingly flimsly (particularsly when apparently lacking a verbatim quote).

The standard for materiality is already abysmally flimsly but widening it to "it's not what you said really, but how you said it" is absolutely wild poo poo.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Peter Daou Zen posted:

How is our system not broken when two people in a nation of hundreds of millions can thumbs up or thumbs down a vote like a Roman emperor?
in theory they can't. in theory you simple find 2 among the other 50 that will vote the way you want. in practice republicans will let the entire country burn around them if they can still get those sweet sweet $150 checks.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Joe Biden HAS power but he refuses to use it; these two actually use their power. How is our system not broken when two people in a nation of hundreds of millions can thumbs up or thumbs down a vote like a Roman emperor?

52 people are using that power

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bugsy posted:

And fought for over a year to keep the video of it under wraps.

https://twitter.com/BLMChi/status/1450878883583115267

Can someone help me identify why he is being nominated for any position?

This feels like the Biden admin and other Dems are openly telling their base to eat poo poo.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 20, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Monmouth released a poll today that has McAuliffe & Youngkin tied in Virginia. N=1005 RV.

From its summary release:

quote:

The biggest swing in support from Monmouth’s last poll comes from independent voters, registering a 48% to 39% lead for Youngkin now compared with a 37% to 46% deficit in September. Youngkin has also cut into McAuliffe’s advantage with women voters. The Democrat currently has a narrow edge among women (47% to 43%), down from a sizable 14-point lead last month (52% to 38%).

Youngkin has increased his support in the reddest part of the commonwealth, western Virginia, where he currently leads McAuliffe by 66% to 27% (up from 58% to 34% in September). At the same time, McAuliffe has slipped slightly in heavily-blue Northern Virginia. He leads there by 58% to 34%. This is down only slightly from his 58% to 29% lead last month, however, incumbent Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam won this key region by 35 points (67% to 32%) in 2017. McAuliffe holds small leads in both the eastern Tidewater (48% to 42%) and central I-95/Richmond (48% to 41%) areas.

“Suburban women, especially in Northern Virginia, have been crucial to the sizable victories Democrats have enjoyed in the commonwealth since 2017. However, their support is not registering at the same level this time around. This is due partly to a shift in key issues important to these voters and partly to dampened enthusiasm among the party faithful,” said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute.

The Monmouth poll finds that a recent shift in voter issue priorities has helped Youngkin. The top issues chosen as the most important first or second factor in Virginians’ vote for governor are jobs and the economy (45%, up from 39% in September) and education and schools (41%, up from 31%). Just 23% name the Covid pandemic as one of their top two issues, which is a drop from 32% last month.

Youngkin has drawn even with McAuliffe on being trusted more to handle education and schools (39% to 38%). He trailed the Democrat on this issue in September (33% to 37%) and August (31% to 36%). The Republican now holds a small trust advantage on jobs and the economy – 39% to 34% who trust McAuliffe more. The Virginia electorate was more evenly split on this issue in prior polls (36% Youngkin to 35% McAuliffe in September and 35% to 33% in August). Youngkin has also widened his advantage on handling taxes (40% to 30%) and has drawn even with McAuliffe on handling the abortion issue (33% Youngkin to 35% McAuliffe).

Yet more data points that shows wild swings among independent voters.

And the fact that McAuliffe is losing his edge even as covid recedes is food for thought for Biden's approval ratings, which I & others have been predicting would go up as covid recedes. I'm still inclined to think that'll happen, although while education & schools might top VA voters' concerns the economy is turning out to be quite the hairball for Dems across the board.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This feels like the Biden admin and other Dems are openly telling their base to eat poo poo.

Establishment politics, he's a Friend of the Administration and most ambassadorships are generally used as rewards, not serious positions.

InsertPotPun posted:

in theory they can't. in theory you simple find 2 among the other 50 that will vote the way you want. in practice republicans will let the entire country burn around them if they can still get those sweet sweet $150 checks.

Essentially all of the functional legislators left, right, and center are Democrats now, while Republicans are cancer cells. The problem is Sinema and Manchin are getting set to hand their seats to Republicans one way or another.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Neither Sinema or Manchin care about anything but being the Main Character in their stupid stories, and by making their own realities, they become more powerful than Joe Biden.

Joe Biden HAS power but he refuses to use it; these two actually use their power. How is our system not broken when two people in a nation of hundreds of millions can thumbs up or thumbs down a vote like a Roman emperor?

But no ; we are Very Special and Unique and we have to never ever tweak let alone change our system.

It’s a joke to them. They are having fun cosplaying the big important government serious people , and they are laughing at us.

It is an insane cat drugs system where West Virginia gets as many senators as California. I'm surprised it took as long as it has for it to completely break.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Those swings are in line with the presentation from the Senate Majority PAC, showing numbers from an internal poll (usual grains of salt):

quote:

Despite the millions of jobs added and growth in the GDP under Biden, a majority of voters (53 percent) say the economy has gotten worse while just 30 percent of voters say it’s improved, the poll showed. Perhaps more troubling for Biden and Democrats, who are trying to maintain their razor-thin Senate majority in 2022, is the pessimistic view of the “persuadable” camp. Just 18 percent of those voters say the economy is getting better.

The Senate Majority PAC showed Biden’s approval rating across the Senate battlegrounds at 41 percent, with 52 percent disapproving — numbers that are roughly in line with recent national polls. Among persuadable targets, however, just 27 percent say they approve of the job the president is doing while 57 percent disapprove. The group’s private poll from May had Biden well above water, with 49 percent approving and 43 disapproving. Few Senate races in the modern political era tilt against how voters view the president. So if Biden is underwater heading into the election year, holding a 50-50 Senate will prove to be a tough proposition for Democrats.
The poll was conducted among voters in Senate battleground states: Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Georgia and Nevada. It was presented to consultants and allied organizations. A person who obtained the slides of the presentation said they did not believe White House officials attended this particular session.
A silver lining for some briefed on the Senate poll was that favorable ratings of Democratic incumbents were net positive. But even that could be at risk: The last slide in a deck reviewed by POLITICO showed that one of the party’s most popular policy planks remained allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices.

“And we are going to end up leaving [that] out of the [reconciliation] bill,” the person said.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Establishment politics, he's a Friend of the Administration and most ambassadorships are generally used as rewards, not serious positions.

That makes it even more baffling. Biden is allowing a piece of poo poo who covered up murder to go in front of the senate and get a cushy job? And the Dems are covering for him? How is any of this acceptable?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Especially considering that he doesn't have any relevant skills or experience for this job, at least none that other people don't have. Meanwhile regular people are desperately applying for minwage jobs they have years of experience in, and they hear nothing back.

And especially considering that he helped cover up the murder of a teenager, but, he gets rewarded with this. But for poor people, a traffic ticket or a missed court date can completely gently caress up their lives and have permanent consequences. Does anyone else think that the Biden administration is doing something horribly sick and unjust here?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you think they care enough about your opinion to tell you to eat poo poo you have vastly misunderstood politics at the national level in the US.

Republicans have told their base to eat poo poo and also directly made them eat poo poo and they still win elections.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Willa Rogers posted:

Monmouth released a poll today that has McAuliffe & Youngkin tied in Virginia. N=1005 RV.

And the fact that McAuliffe is losing his edge even as covid recedes is food for thought for Biden's approval ratings, which I & others have been predicting would go up as covid recedes. I'm still inclined to think that'll happen, although while education & schools might top VA voters' concerns the economy is turning out to be quite the hairball for Dems across the board.
Covid might be "receding" but it's still very much a major thing in most parts of the country (and who knows how bad it'll get over the holidays). I don't think the voters are going to give Biden any credit for dealing with covid until we're back to "normal", and who knows how long that will take. He certainly won't get any points for just kind of muddling through it.

I really worry that Biden and the Dems are going to be stuck with covid and rising prices and shortages, through no real fault of their own. It feels like most voters will pay more attention to those even if the Dems passed the reconciliation bill tomorrow.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 21, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also remember Dejoy and whoever democrats on the board really messed up the USPS that started this Oct. 1st.

No one has done anything.

Unemployment ended on Sept 4th.

No one did anything.

e: who cares about polls we all know everyone hates the dems and biden, lets talk real issues please

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Neither Sinema or Manchin care about anything but being the Main Character in their stupid stories, and by making their own realities, they become more powerful than Joe Biden.

But no ; we are Very Special and Unique and we have to never ever tweak let alone change our system.

It’s a joke to them. They are having fun cosplaying the big important government serious people , and they are laughing at us.

Joe Biden exercises his power when he wants to, like when he uses Title 42 to deport immigrants under the guise of health and safety, just like Donald Trump did.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

If you think they care enough about your opinion to tell you to eat poo poo you have vastly misunderstood politics at the national level in the US.

Republicans have told their base to eat poo poo and also directly made them eat poo poo and they still win elections.

You know I’m not referring to me specifically. I’m referring to democratic base that voted fought all last year for police reform/abolishment and justice. This is disgusting behavior from the Biden admin and any dem that approves or defends Rahm. It’s no longer a stretch to say Biden is sadistic.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1450869636208148488?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Barreft posted:

Also remember Dejoy and whoever democrats on the board really messed up the USPS that started this Oct. 1st.

No one has done anything.

Unemployment ended on Sept 4th.

No one did anything.

e: who cares about polls we all know everyone hates the dems and biden, lets talk real issues please

The fact that Dejoy still hasn't been replaced after all the rhetoric leading up to the election about how he is destroying the post office and has to go is just completely baffling. It's a politically safe move, anyone who'd get mad at him getting the boot was never gonna vote blue anyways.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You know I’m not referring to me specifically. I’m referring to democratic base that voted fought all last year for police reform/abolishment and justice. This is disgusting behavior from the Biden admin and any dem that approves or defends Rahm.

Yeah Democrats are awful. No disagreement there.

quote:

It’s no longer a stretch to say Biden is sadistic.

You're trying to make him be some grinning villain but it's unlikely he even gives a poo poo enough to be sadistic. Every major city mayor in America has had police murder someone on their watch. Biden's a cop supporter.

He's been a senator for like 5 decades. You're not even a real person to him.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Not gonna lie, the most concerning thing about this to me is Ohio not being polled while Florida is. If an incumbent Marco Rubio is considered more beatable than a non-incumbent Josh Mandel then even if they survive the midterms the Democrats' chances in the Senate going forward are screwed.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

He's been a senator for like 5 decades. You're not even a real person to him.

Fair enough. I guess it’s just another reason not to vote for bad Dems any more.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Srice posted:

The fact that Dejoy still hasn't been replaced after all the rhetoric leading up to the election about how he is destroying the post office and has to go is just completely baffling. It's a politically safe move, anyone who'd get mad at him getting the boot was never gonna vote blue anyways.

My problem is we try and talk about this and then other people come in from different countries like Canada and go 'tut tut nuh uh', and they're somehow more protected than the people living in this actual shithole.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Fair enough. I guess it’s just another reason not to vote for bad Dems any more.

Everyone in politics is bad. The work lies in figuring out how to make the bad people do as close to what you want as possible.

Show me a good politician and Ill show you someone who made a bunch of lovely compromises and sellouts that you didn't know about.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

Everyone in politics is bad. The work lies in figuring out how to make the bad people do as close to what you want as possible.

How do people make Biden withdraw Rahm's nomination as ambassador to Japan?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Sharkie posted:

How do people make Biden withdraw Rahm's nomination as ambassador to Japan?

What makes you think I have an answer to that?

Right now, the probable answer is you don't. Ambassadorships have been the rewards for being awful but loyal for decades.

White people in the US don't care about dead black people, especially if the cops kill them. They're certainly not going to get outraged enough to stop the appointment of a guy everyone hates to a position that mostly doesn't matter.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Srice posted:

The FCC is probably going to have a Republican majority in January because they haven't bothered to nominate a replacement for Pai. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/bidens-baffling-fcc-delay-could-give-republicans-a-2-1-fcc-majority/

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

What makes you think I have an answer to that?

Right now, the probable answer is you don't. Ambassadorships have been the rewards for being awful but loyal for decades.

White people in the US don't care about dead black people, especially if the cops kill them. They're certainly not going to get outraged enough to stop the appointment of a guy everyone hates to a position that mostly doesn't matter.

great system

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Show me a good politician and Ill show you someone who made a bunch of lovely compromises and sellouts that you didn't know about.

Nah I’m not playing that game. If a politician is especially terrible and continues to show they don’t give a gently caress (restarting school loans, not doing poo poo about DeJoy, refusing to end student debt, nominating a loving accessory to a murder) then the Dems have told me they are not the party for me. If they want me to eat poo poo, I’ll vote elsewhere.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 21, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ColdPie posted:

The FCC is probably going to have a Republican majority in January because they haven't bothered to nominate a replacement for Pai. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/09/bidens-baffling-fcc-delay-could-give-republicans-a-2-1-fcc-majority/

They just added an NHTSA lead after no one having it since 2017, why wasn't this done 9 months ago?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Barreft posted:

great system

American is basically a failed state for everyone except corporations. It's a terrible system and has been more or less since inception.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Nah I’m not playing that game. If a politician especially terrible and continues to show they don’t give a gently caress (restarting school loans, not doing poo poo about DeJoy, refusing to end student debt, nominating a loving accessory to a murder) then the Dems have told me they are not the party for me. If they want me to eat poo poo, I’ll vote elsewhere.

When you find a national party in US politics that isn't full of lovely people let me know.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 21, 2021

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't choosing among lovely options just part of being a person? I can spend half my waking hours doing some poo poo I don't really want to, or I can sleep under a bridge. I don't really like either choice, but that's being a person!

Like, every country, in every time period, has had leadership that was "bad" in absolute terms, like Jaxyon says. Doubly so for this one. Do you think that's because nobody ever had the brilliant idea of going "I will only recognize the leadership of Good People" until five years ago? Maybe things are a little more complicated?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

American is basically a failed state. It's a terrible system and has been more or less since inception.

When you find a national party in US politics that isn't full of lovely people let me know.

Well yeah it's a failed state, almost a trillion/yr to the pentagon with hardly a look, and we can't even get 7 trillion/10yr(now 1.5 trillion/10yr or whatever) over 10 years just to help us poors.

They can't even pass 1/7th of what they gave to the pentagon for one year to give to us for over 10 years.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Barreft posted:

Well yeah it's a failed state, almost a trillion/yr to the pentagon with hardly a look, and we can't even get 7 trillion/10yr(now 1.5 trillion/10yr or whatever) over 10 years just to help us poors.

They can't even pass 1/7th of what they gave to the pentagon for one year to give to us for over 10 years.

That's why I edited the line you quoted.

It's a very functional state if you're a defense contractor.

Not so much if you want like, healthcare.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow Seas posted:

Isn't choosing among lovely options just part of being a person? I can spend half my waking hours doing some poo poo I don't really want to, or I can sleep under a bridge. I don't really like either choice, but that's being a person!

Like, every country, in every time period, has had leadership that was "bad" in absolute terms, like Jaxyon says. Doubly so for this one. Do you think that's because nobody ever had the brilliant idea of going "I will only recognize the leadership of Good People" until five years ago? Maybe things are a little more complicated?

The US political system being garbage doesn't mean it couldn't be better, and choosing between Republican and Republican light is just "being a person"

People had brilliant ideas for better governance and implemented them. Seems like things aren't as complicated as you're making them out to be!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Barreft posted:

They just added an NHTSA lead after no one having it since 2017, why wasn't this done 9 months ago?

Doing the same drat thing with judicial appointments. Just dragging his rear end like they have all the time in the world and that the wrong ancient Dem getting hospitalized wouldn't completely gently caress them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Covid might be "receding" but it's still very much a major thing in most parts of the country (and who knows how bad it'll get over the holidays). I don't think the voters are going to give Biden any credit for dealing with covid until we're back to "normal", and who knows how long that will take. He certainly won't get any points for just kind of muddling through it.

I really worry that Biden and the Dems are going to be stuck with covid and rising prices and shortages, through no real fault of their own. It feels like most voters will pay more attention to those even if the Dems passed the reconciliation bill tomorrow.

The most striking thing to me is the disconnect from the PR/news spin on the economy vs. what the polls are showing. For example, from the Politico story about the Senate Dems' deck:

quote:

Despite the millions of jobs added and growth in the GDP under Biden, a majority of voters (53 percent) say the economy has gotten worse while just 30 percent of voters say it’s improved, the poll showed. Perhaps more troubling for Biden and Democrats, who are trying to maintain their razor-thin Senate majority in 2022, is the pessimistic view of the “persuadable” camp. Just 18 percent of those voters say the economy is getting better.

Is it voters' lying eyes that tell them the economy is bad & getting worse? Is it the PMC's ignoring how lower-wage workers were fed to wolves during the pandemic & now being surprised at the blowback? Did voters take Dems' pre-election promises about a $15/hour minimum wage to heart and are now disappointed? Is it the gas & food prices? Is it the end of the eviction moratoria?

Because every new poll that comes out, whether state-based like the VA Monmouth poll or the fresh-in-my-inbox morningconsult survey, shows steep drops in voters' confidence in the economy:

quote:

What the numbers say:

* Voters are 11 points more likely to say the economy will worsen in the next year compared to what they said in a July survey, spelling more trouble for Democrats on the issue.

* Independents and Republicans saw the steepest increase, at 11 points apiece, hinting at a tough time for Democrats in the midterms if up-for-grabs voters have a negative economic outlook in their minds when casting ballots.

* Even among Democrats, the share that expects a worsening economy ticked up 6 points over the past three months.

* Among all voters, 33 percent said they think the economy will get better in the next year, a 7-point decline from July. The share expecting no change remained virtually unchanged, at 13 percent.

Overall, voters are more likely to blame the policies of President Joe Biden’s administration for inflation, compared to America’s return to pre-pandemic behaviors. The share of the former however, remains largely unchanged from roughly three months ago.

quote:

What the numbers say:

* Sixty-two percent of voters blame the Biden administration’s policies for rising inflation, an increase of 3 percentage points from late July, when Morning Consult and Politico last polled on the question. Slight increases in the shares of Republicans (85 percent) and independents (61 percent) who hold the administration responsible fueled the uptick.

* About half of voters (48 percent) believe Americans’ return to pre-pandemic behaviors has contributed to the 13-year high in inflation, a 5-point decline from July.

* The share of Democrats who believe a return to normal is to blame for rising prices slid 9 points over the past three months, to 60 percent in the latest survey. Meanwhile, 41 percent of the party’s voters pointed fingers at Biden’s policies for inflation, a figure unchanged over the same time period.

As much as you contend that "it's no fault of [Dems'] own" that Americans are experiencing economic insecurity, it's not shaking out across the polling that way. Even ignoring GOP voters' sentiments bc of confirmation bias, the numbers from Dems & indy voters about the economy are just abysmal.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mellow Seas posted:

Mellow, have you read up on climate change? We're all going to be dead or wish we were in 20-30 years. You guys act like we're okay and can continue doing this for thousands of years. This isn't like the 1500s, we're killing ourselves and no one is doing anything,

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Willa Rogers posted:

As much as you contend that "it's no fault of [Dems'] own" that Americans are experiencing economic insecurity, it's not shaking out across the polling that way. Even ignoring GOP voters' sentiments bc of confirmation bias, the numbers from Dems & indy voters about the economy are just abysmal.

Gas is more expensive, inflation is at like 5% and the supply chain is shambles.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mellow Seas posted:

Maybe things are a little more complicated?

Things really aren't that complicated though. American politics and America's politicians are lovely because Americans are lovely. You have to choose among lovely options because lovely options are the only viable options. lovely options are the only viable options because most other Americans only like lovely options. Most other Americans only like lovely options because they're lovely.

If you aren't a lovely person, you can vote for lovely options selected by lovely people because you think doing otherwise would render your vote irrelevant, or you can vote for less lovely options selected by less lovely people because you think doing so is a less lovely thing to do.

Either choice can be justified, but it isn't like the "practical" option actually matters more than the "principled" option or whatever you might describe each choice as. Voting for lovely people, regardless of the reason, doesn't actually help influence the system for any better outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Barreft posted:

Mellow, have you read up on climate change? We're all going to be dead or wish we were in 20-30 years. You guys act like we're okay and can continue doing this for thousands of years. This isn't like the 1500s, we're killing ourselves and no one is doing anything,

Akshually, the US political system offering pretty much no possibility of anything getting better is just "being a person", or something nonsensical like that.