Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Today my boss asked if I thought I didn't have a future at this place and I said, "It's not that, I just really don't want your job." And without blinking she replied, "Of course not, it's poo poo."

loving lol

My PA (Process Assistant, Amazonian for Assistant Manager) last night basically broke down when I said there was a time I wanted his orange vest, but now I know how much work it is for a $2 raise. He basically just broke down on the spot "Duuude, you don't even know the half of it. I wish I could take it back sometimes..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Taking a Human Computer Interaction course and one of the biggest points they try to hammer home is "You are not your user." They pretty much encourage involving your target audience as much as possible.

Interact with other people? You've got to be joking

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
my boss constantly forgets conversations we've just had and I frequently have to remind her where we left things, and it's just because she's overworked so I try to have grace, but part of it is overworking herself bc she focuses on tiny poo poo and misses the big stuff and so it's a lot of grabbing her head and forcing it up from whatever small task she's dallying in to see the oncoming freight train and then she looks down again to continue her task and immediately forgets the freight train is coming

Lamech posted:

yes, please stop replying all I reply all in reply to the previous reply all messages about the futility of replying to all

you cannot stop the reply-all stop-replying vortex, it is eternal, if you find yourself in one double check if you've accidentally died and fallen into limbo

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

my boss constantly forgets conversations we've just had and I frequently have to remind her where we left things, and it's just because she's overworked so I try to have grace, but part of it is overworking herself bc she focuses on tiny poo poo and misses the big stuff and so it's a lot of grabbing her head and forcing it up from whatever small task she's dallying in to see the oncoming freight train and then she looks down again to continue her task and immediately forgets the freight train is coming

you cannot stop the reply-all stop-replying vortex, it is eternal, if you find yourself in one double check if you've accidentally died and fallen into limbo

I was at a multinational company of around 100,000 when someone sent an email wishing everyone the traditional "Merry Christmas" to the company wide email address. The traditional argument over Eurocentrism and Christian oppression only ended when a VP threatened to fire the next person who replied.

The next time it happened, the email server crashed and had to be restored from backup, because someone had attached a picture of a Christmas card that got copied 100,000 times every time someone pressed reply-all.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Dongsturm posted:

I was at a multinational company of around 100,000 when someone sent an email wishing everyone the traditional "Merry Christmas" to the company wide email address. The traditional argument over Eurocentrism and Christian oppression only ended when a VP threatened to fire the next person who replied.

The next time it happened, the email server crashed and had to be restored from backup, because someone had attached a picture of a Christmas card that got copied 100,000 times every time someone pressed reply-all.

Honestly, this is an IT problem. These things should be stopped automatically, it's not new, it's not hard to implement.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Recently had a text exchange with my former coworker at the brewery I recently left.

Boss saw him bottling on their little two head bottle filler and called to berate him a few hours later for:

A. Not shaking the bottles enough before capping to "chase out" remaining oxygen (this is an outdated method that has been found to actually increase O2 levels by chasing out CO2 and introducing more O2 through contact time/agitation).

B. Using bottles straight from the rinser that has a CO2 canister attached to purge the bottles. My former coworker was informed that he should rinse bottles and place them on the dirty bottle tree they have to dry them out before filling and capping them. :confused: Who cares about things like cleanliness, oxygen ingress, or a productive/ergonomic process flow anyways?

I genuinely wonder what bit of information the owner heard and completely misunderstood to reach that second conclusion. Having him then get upset for not psychically picking up on a sudden change he wants that goes counter to all conventional wisdom is incredibly on brand for him though. He's also pushing for even shorter fermentation/conditioning times, when the timeline is already just over two weeks. Now that I think about it, I wonder if he's setting them up for bottle bombs. I really hope my former coworkers can escape that shitshow. They're good people.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Spatule posted:

Honestly, this is an IT problem. These things should be stopped automatically, it's not new, it's not hard to implement.

It's fairly easy to add an approved sender list to an email group. It should absolutely be SOP to set that up for the large / all staff email groups.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I work in a hospital lab in public healthcare, and despite this post I am mostly happy in my job. We have the expected issues, like politicians wanting to cut our budgets (of course with sustained or increased production), hiring freezes, asinine ways to save money ("Instead of sending a sample for analysis to another lab for X money, we should do it ourselves for X+50% money! This saves money because it comes from a different part of the budget!"), and so on. This is annoying, but expected.

What is unexpected to me are the issues we have had over the years with the unit for Hospital Hygiene. Hygiene and infections control is really important, healthcare-related infections is a very serious issue both from a patient perspective and an economical perspective. The problem is that Hospital Hygiene is pretty much unable to grasp the concept that we do not work with patients, at all. We literally don't even see patients unless they accidentally wander down the wrong corridor and manage to slip through the locked door. Their inability to accept that we work in healthcare without touching a single patient has caused a lot of conflict over the years I have been working here.

The biggest issue we had with Hospital Hygiene was them wanting to take away our lab coats because multi-use PPE is incompatible with good hospital hygiene. Instead of lab coats we were to use single-use plastic aprons or plastic gowns. Of course, unless they are made of special and very expensive plastic they likely offer very little protection from the toxic chemicals we work with, such as chloroform and formamide, but who cares about that when we can prevent healthcare-related infections in the patients we never even get the chance to infect!

Well, we cared and we fought about this issue for close to two years, iirc, with Hospital Hygiene throughout being dogmatic about "single-use PPE only!" and literally refusing to listen to any other argument. Our unit went against regulation and bypassed Hospital Hygiene by contracting an external distributor for work clothes, but I know at least one different laboratory unit worked with carcinogenic substances (formaldehyde) basically unprotected. The issues finally got resolved when our equivalent of OSHA ordered the hospital to pay a fine unless the situation was remedied, and so the policy was changed and we were allowed to wear lab coats again.

A more minor issue is that we (and the other lab units as well) continually get dinged in their periodic hygiene measurements. Some of the issues they bring up are absolutely fair, like people wearing jewelry on their wrists and hands or wearing long-sleeved clothes under their work clothes, as this is relevant also in a lab setting. However, the largest contributor to our low hygiene score is that we don't disinfect our hands before dealing with patients, which again is a difficult thing to do because we don't deal with patients. We also do not disinfect our hands before donning gloves and after removing them, which for us is not really relevant as we don't work with samples that reasonably can have any pathogens in them, so they might as well ding us for not disinfecting before and after touching a door handle or the printer. The units/tems which do have patient contact (eg drawing blood or consulting) tend to have good hygiene scores, not surprisingly since the measurements then actually are relevant to the work they do.

Because of the low score, the laboratory section as a whole is also putting together a team to fight healthcare-related infections, which is pretty ambitious considering how limited contact is with patients (mostly just drawing blood for lab work and blood donations) and that working with really infectious samples is pretty much restricted to microbiology, most of the rest of us just have to keep the samples out of our mouths, eyes and wounds. But the score is low and so we have to act like we are acting!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

Recently had a text exchange with my former coworker at the brewery I recently left.

Boss saw him bottling on their little two head bottle filler and called to berate him a few hours later for:

A. Not shaking the bottles enough before capping to "chase out" remaining oxygen (this is an outdated method that has been found to actually increase O2 levels by chasing out CO2 and introducing more O2 through contact time/agitation).

B. Using bottles straight from the rinser that has a CO2 canister attached to purge the bottles. My former coworker was informed that he should rinse bottles and place them on the dirty bottle tree they have to dry them out before filling and capping them. :confused: Who cares about things like cleanliness, oxygen ingress, or a productive/ergonomic process flow anyways?

I genuinely wonder what bit of information the owner heard and completely misunderstood to reach that second conclusion. Having him then get upset for not psychically picking up on a sudden change he wants that goes counter to all conventional wisdom is incredibly on brand for him though. He's also pushing for even shorter fermentation/conditioning times, when the timeline is already just over two weeks. Now that I think about it, I wonder if he's setting them up for bottle bombs. I really hope my former coworkers can escape that shitshow. They're good people.

as someone who makes beer at home, everything I read about this brewery makes me think I'm better. I do not have a co2 purge setup or anything but bottles get rinsed and filled in groups of 6 not placed out to dry etc. and everything else I read you post seems just wrong.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I work for the state and our annual reviews only give us a chance to get one or two days added to our annual leave balance. In order to get the highest score to get those two extra days they continually change the metrics so nobody can achieve them. The last one I had one of the metrics required a person to get 110% in the category, something you literally can’t achieve. Then they expect us to give a poo poo!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea I work for the state and our annual reviews only give us a chance to get one or two days added to our annual leave balance. In order to get the highest score to get those two extra days they continually change the metrics so nobody can achieve them. The last one I had one of the metrics required a person to get 110% in the category, something you literally can’t achieve. Then they expect us to give a poo poo!

Not sure if I mentioned it in the thread before, but we had a "Demystifying HR" session where they tried to be transparent about how raises, bonuses, and promotions work. They use a 3x3 grid, with "Performance" on the Y axis and "Behaviors" on the X axis. There are three categories: Underachieves, Achieves, and Exceeds. If you do average work and you don't have a particularly good or bad personality (you don't blame others for your gently caress ups, but you also don't go out of the way to help other people, for example), then you're smack in the middle of the grid. What does that get you? Well if you Achieve/Achieve, you get a 2-4% raise. If you do great work but have a poo poo personality and Exceed/Underachieve? 0-2% raise. Same goes for the reverse. You get 0% if you're a poo poo employee and underachieve in both categories. I don't even remember what being average at one thing and exceeding at the other gets you, but exceeding in both categories gets you 3-10%.

I can guarantee you nobody ever gets 10%. The floor for exceeding in both categories is so close to the ceiling for being average that I can't see anyone ever really trying to be stellar. Why would anyone work their rear end off for what is likely a 5% raise when you can just keep your head down and likely score a 4% raise instead? I'm due for a promotion soon which'll come with a ~12% pay bump. The next one after that isn't too far off, probably within two years. I'll peace out after that and find a job somewhere else at that point once I've gotten some actual experience as a DBA under my belt.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

They use a 3x3 grid, with "Performance" on the Y axis and "Behaviors" on the X axis.

A 9 box? https://www.predictivesuccess.com/blog/9-box/

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I guess, yeah.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Invalid Validation posted:

Dang. I put on my latest review (we're allowed to add comments) that I expected to be promoted. Not sure if that is happening as I may not have scored high enough on "Agility," as it was explained to me that others don't like when I object to change suggestions. Like noting that changing our primary software tool because a dullard coworker saw an ad for a competitor would make our work incompatible with our live environment. Volunteering to take over a time consuming process and making it more efficient, freeing up another team for a major project is not Agility related.

Also this has been going on:
Me: I will be unavailable for several months on this future date. I'm already swamped with no redundancy, you have one year to hire a backup so they can be trained to perform critical tasks.
Me: You now have six months to hire someone.
Me: You now have one month to hire someone, as the job posting you wouldn't let me review had impossible/inaccurate requirements so we got zero applicants.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Lamech posted:

yes, please stop replying all I reply all in reply to the previous reply all messages about the futility of replying to all

"Please consider how all your emails have impacted me, the Important Email Getter, who's job it is to Get Important Emails. Please ignore the fact that I apparently don't understand what filters are."

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
My union is fighting the vax mandate. LOL.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nvidiagouge posted:

Ugh. It's 2021. You can just call it a date.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also this has been going on:
Me: I will be unavailable for several months on this future date. I'm already swamped with no redundancy, you have one year to hire a backup so they can be trained to perform critical tasks.
Me: You now have six months to hire someone.
Me: You now have one month to hire someone, as the job posting you wouldn't let me review had impossible/inaccurate requirements so we got zero applicants.
Spoiler alert: One week before you become unavailable, they're going to act totally caught off-guard like they never heard this before, then ask you if you can somehow adjust your schedule to be available, then be surprised when you tell them no.

Further spoiler alert: They'll whine and moan for a few weeks, then somehow muddle through - in a lovely inefficient, awkward fashion and maybe some of those tasks just straight up don't get done...but they'll live.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MagusofStars posted:

Spoiler alert: One week before you become unavailable, they're going to act totally caught off-guard like they never heard this before, then ask you if you can somehow adjust your schedule to be available, then be surprised when you tell them no.

Further spoiler alert: They'll whine and moan for a few weeks, then somehow muddle through - in a lovely inefficient, awkward fashion and maybe some of those tasks just straight up don't get done...but they'll live.

Yup. I miss being in competent depts that weren't perfect but if a manager needed to do an employee's work for a week he'd complain but had all the knowledge needed and would do the task, as he understood the purpose of the dept and kept up with critical tasks.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Our regional HR manager was in our small office last week, she's the one responsible for pay rates/promotions/etc. She's decided that now of all times she's gonna crack down on non billable stuff which is in our contract as half the payrate (or min wage whichever is higher). Min wage isn't awful in washington, so it's in the high 13.xx hours, but considering the nature of the short staffed everywhere market right now you can make like 16-20 literally flipping burgers or stocking shelves (often with signing bonuses!). Non-billables include tasks that are completely vital to people continuing to do their job because we're essentially heavily regulated trade work so equipment calibrations need to be up to date, training/certs need to be refreshed or obtained to do work. On top of this non-billable stuff is all flat time, whereas billable stuff has minimums based on the contract with the clients you're working with, so you can legit work 1-2 hours and bill 3. For the most part even with full pay it was already pulling teeth to get anyone to do general upkeep stuff, now it's gonna be almost impossible. We got some incredibly important equipment that's going to need someone to spend upwards of a week to get calibrated before the month ends and no one is going to want to do it because it means putting in a full 40 hours of pretty tedious work to make half the pay of someone putting in 20-30 hours of covering a few field shifts per day.

The kicker is the reason she's doing this is because our small rear end office is basically propping up the entire western region of our corp. Our branch was basically a mom n pop that got bought out for performing well so there's no middle management bloat. Business has been booming here and we're making money hand over fist while other branches are floundering under the weight of do nothing wfh admins so they need to pay us less so they can keep paying themselves. The rates we charge for the various things we do are all known to our small employee base, and our operations manager (local boss) is pretty open about how we're crushing it, so it's all transparently clear that as far as our branch is concerned robbing employees of 100 bucks a day doing vital work is by no means a necessary belt tightening sacrifice. We're actually doing so well with our local bids that we don't have enough people to cover the work we win and have had to turn down jobs, we're trying to hire more but there's a few people already saying that if their paycheck gets slashed they're gonna just walk out with their certs and work for a competitor, there's no way a new hirer (that starts off with p meh wages in the first place before getting trained up and certed) would want these terms when they could literally just go work at walmart for more money.

I've been loving this job for the past 2 years because it's so small and really feels like the more you put in the more you get out but corporate vampires just can't help themselves.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

kissekatt posted:

However, the largest contributor to our low hygiene score is that we don't disinfect our hands before dealing with patients, which again is a difficult thing to do because we don't deal with patients.

This seems fixable... I have ticked so many compliance boxes with "if this thing that never happens does happen, we will totally do X, look here's the policy saying we'll do X (which I wrote and no-one else has ever read)."

e: I'm going to name this technique "divide-by-zero compliance."

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 21, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nvidiagouge posted:

JFC. What industry?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

tater_salad posted:

as someone who makes beer at home, everything I read about this brewery makes me think I'm better. I do not have a co2 purge setup or anything but bottles get rinsed and filled in groups of 6 not placed out to dry etc. and everything else I read you post seems just wrong.

I can say with absolute confidence you are doing a better job with the equipment available than he is with his equipment. I think I said it before but that place is, hands down, the most poorly organized company I have ever worked for. I tried to bring SOPs and everything up to industry standard, but the owner fought against pretty much everything I tried to change. I really tried to get them to keep beer in the tank at least a month and base the decision to package on sensory analysis, but he wanted to increase turnover at all cost. It was just draining and I'm so glad I was able to jump ship so quickly.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

JFC. What industry?

Federal government employees. Defense department.

https://www.ifpte.org/

I just want to say for the record that even though it says engineer in the title, I am not an engineer and in the apocalypse I would hunt them for meat and soft leather.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nvidiagouge posted:

I just want to say for the record that even though it says engineer in the title, I am not an engineer and in the apocalypse I would hunt them for meat and soft leather.

This is poetry.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nvidiagouge posted:

That's just what an engineer would want us to believe.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Outrail posted:

JFC. What industry?

Well, all of them. Unions are taking the position that you can't add a requirement, that people can be fired or not meeting, without renegotiating the contract. They have a point. A contract is a contract is a contract.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Batterypowered7 posted:

That's just what an engineer would want us to believe.

One of them was going to the Electric Daisy Carnival in Vegas this weekend and I told him his mission was to touch a boob with permission.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nvidiagouge posted:

One of them was going to the Electric Daisy Carnival in Vegas this weekend and I told him his mission was to touch a boob with permission.

Ugh. That's not clear enough for an engineer. He's gonna spend the entire time looking for a boob that has permissions.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ugh. That's not clear enough for an engineer. He's gonna spend the entire time looking for a boob that has permissions.

IAM has no policy 'BoobTouch' for 'Engineers' user group.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Batterypowered7 posted:

chmod 644 boob

I hope I remembered that command correctly

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Zil posted:

chmod 644 boob

I hope I remembered that command correctly

777 if you wanna get nasty

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: Removed for revealing too much about where I worked

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 8, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You had me until you started crying like a little baby about mean old agile.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I keep getting told we're gonna switch to Agile and we never do because I don't work in programming and there is no such thing as a "minimum viable product" when it comes to a sale. Either the sale is made or its not. I do not control the status update of the sale, I do not have biweekly sales sprints. They buy or they don't, and if they don't I have to hunt down their family pets and hold them hostage until they do and honestly thats hard to break out into story points.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

I keep getting told we're gonna switch to Agile and we never do because I don't work in programming and there is no such thing as a "minimum viable product" when it comes to a sale. Either the sale is made or its not. I do not control the status update of the sale, I do not have biweekly sales sprints. They buy or they don't, and if they don't I have to hunt down their family pets and hold them hostage until they do and honestly thats hard to break out into story points.

What would a sprint when you don't even have product to sell look like?!

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

99% of problems with agile is people not using it correctly, such as using it to try to disguise a clear waterfall strategy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

What would a sprint when you don't even have product to sell look like?!

Filing all my hours in the monthly tracker, pre-emptively.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cthulu Carl posted:

My teams has about 10 Nerf guns for the seven of us. And about a hundred foam stress balls.

We all have desks facing the wall around an area about... 12'x 24'? And all like to use headphones so they're good ways to get someone's attention.

Also for wars.

I feel like your supervisor/manager/team leader should be given one of the battery-powered automatic Nerf guns with the words "REPLY ALL" Stenciled onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Spatule posted:

Yes, but if IT were competent, I wouldn't have all these happy memories.