Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Johnny Truant posted:

What I don't get about some of the "drinking at work" stories is like, how tf does anyone else not just smell it on their breath? Like, fuckin absinthe, how did that absinthe interviewer not just emit a 5ft odour of alcohol

Well for homeboy anyways Busch light is hardly gonna smell like anything unless you're making out with him or something

If you're hitting the hard liquor at work you got some serious issues, this isn't the 50s anymore when everyone was blasted dawn till dusk. To answer your question they often will have mouth wash or strong mints around although it rarely works as well as the drunk believes it is

Kenshin posted:

This is hilarious because I've worked at multiple places with kegerators or beer in the fridge and would regularly (though not every day!) have a beer with lunch. So would other folks. Nobody cared.

Hooray PNW software office culture!

That's called privilege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Back when we were allowed to be in the office, rather than in perma-WFH, at least three or four of us had scotch or other such liquors in our desks and openly offered pours to anyone of-age who wanted it.

Tech culture is loving weird.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The Bloop posted:

I can't remember explicitly seeing Don't Drink At Work in an employee handbook

I would think any reasonable person would think that was the default condition

At my prior job (call center) there was nothing in the handbook about alcohol. This allowed adult beverages to be served at business lunches and company events. One year at the Xmas party they gave out free glasses of champagne or beer. Each employee got 1 ticket for an alcoholic drink, and could request 1 for their adult plus-one. There immediately arose a brisk black market for unused tickets from the non-drinkers. After a weird incident involving the sleigh ride in the parking lot that ended with the Director's wife unconscious in the bushes, HR had a rethink. The handbook was amended to "alcohol during work functions must be approved by VP or higher" and then later quietly changed to "no alcohol."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Halloween Jack posted:

Edit: One time I bought drinks for work, and the ginger beer was so spicy that some people just assumed they were tasting alcohol.

Fentiman's? That one goes straight to my sinuses and is a bit staggering for the first sip of the bottle. I've had someone make a similar assumption about it, though I've never had an alcohol that tasted like that so either they drink different stuff (not that I drink much) or that's just their default assumption when something tastes even a little interesting.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Close friend told me I [M19] should develop a personality, what does this mean?

quote:

Hello all,

I am a 2nd year college student and live in a suite with 3 other guys. One member of the group, K, I have known since before coming on campus and for a long time. He is one of my closest friends, but also very on/off, meaning he is sometimes genuine to me but also sometimes quite fake (lying about simple things to hide from me, gatekeeping friends, gatekeeping opportunities, being unnecessarily secretive). For example, the 4 of us have each other's location for solely safety reasons and convenience, and K turned his off (but not for our last suitemate, only G and myself). Another example is that he acts very close to some people but then goes behind their back to either shittalk them or trade some information about that person with someone else. He often manipulates people into believing they can be close with him even if he doesn't feel close to them, to get on people's good side. Despite his moments of genuine helpful behavior and being a very good and loyal friend, his moments of artificial behavior and odd secrecy has put distance between us and I have been hanging out with him less.

My other suitemate, G, was walking back to our dorm with K sometime last week and were talking about our suite dynamic. G told me today that during that walk, K said that as a friend, he wants me to develop a personality/develop my own personality/develop a personality of my own (not sure about the exact wording). G told me that K meant it in a friend-helping-friend way. K has also been quite fake with G sometimes. I trust G's word because his gf and my best friend are best friends, and the 4 of us know most of what happens between us.

What does this mean? I have known K for so long and despite our similarities in some hobbies and very similar sense of humor, we are different in other interests and general personality. He is also helpful to me and in the past, there have been many times where he has truly been a good friend to me. Does it mean that I am too similar to him and he wants me to find my own personality to be different from him? Does it mean he thinks I'm just boring? Did he bring up me in the conversation in case G said something against me, and then he would tell me what G said to get closer to me instead? Why would he say that, I'm trying to understand what this means. Thank you!

tl;dr: My sometimes manipulative but close friend has told me to develop a personality but I'm not sure what that means and what he thinks of me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah and maybe peanuts so we don't get another kid that has to ruin it for everyone around them

Ruin it? The other kids LOVED me for it! I was an extra bag of stuff for them at Halloween, a second cupcake when someone had a birthday, a chance to have something interesting for lunch when I came over to play...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hawowanlawow posted:

alternatively: threadban anyone who complains about derails

Derails are one of the main reasons I have enjoyed the r/relationships threads, tis true.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

The wife of awful ‘dishes spoiler alert’ husband is trying reallllll hard to convince herself she’s ok with the division of labor in those opening paragraphs. “I’m totally fine with it!” “I like it this way!” “Hahaha it’s just how we do it! Seriously it’s fine!” said through gritted teeth.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

:perfect:

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Runcible Cat posted:

Has anyone else seen Volere Volare? It's a hoot. The woman the hero's in love with is a sex worker and among her clients are a couple who take turns pretending to be dead while the other and her mourn as dramatically as possible, threaten to kill themselves because they can't go on living alone etc etc. So obviously the OP and gf need to open their relationship to include another mourner.
Late but holy poo poo thank you so much, I've been looking for this movie forever and absolutely could not remember what it was called.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My (24f) partner's(24m) friend(24f) is having sleepover at his place. Should I be worried?

quote:

tl;dr My partner's friend is having sleepover at his place and he didn't tell me.

We've been together for almost 6 year but didnt live together since the culture in our country is pretty religious. We lived closed enough though (walking distance).

I walked to his house and found this girl there. Turns out she's been having sleepover for a few days. Just the two of them. He didn't tell me about sleepover, but he did tell me about hanging out with this friend.

I trusted him fully and never once doubt him. We never forbid another to hang out with opposite sex. But somehow I feel betrayed that he didn't tell me about the sleepover. Am I too possessive? Should I be worried? I plan to tell him what I felt but I need to know whether I'm overthinking this and if this is normal.

lolllll yes a sleepover, that's what we'll call it

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Just Dew it:

My (23 F) boyfriend (24 M) put Mountain Dew in my coffee to make "Mountain Dewfee" (yes really) and thought it would be "romantic".

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 8 months and until this morning I thought we were destined to be married. I walked into the kitchen this morning and witnessed my boyfriend pouring a 1 Liter bottle of Mountain Dew into my relatively new coffee maker. Into the spot where you normally put water. Mountain Dew. For about 3 seconds I literally thought maybe I didn't wake up and that this was some sort of dream. But no, it was real life.

I shouted "What are you dooooooooooooooooooing!!!!!!" He giggled and said he was making "Mountain Dewfee" and told me it was supposed to be a "romantic surprise." I could not believe what I was hearing. Before I could take decisive action he hit the "brew" button, sending the sugar-laden carbonated green soda into the innards of my coffee machine.

"Trust me it'll be great", he said. I was like "You are RUINING my coffee machine!" He was very confused and kept insisting he was being romantic and that I'd like his "invention" when I tried it.

I stormed off in a state of horrified amazement. A few moments later he came in with two mugs of disgusting colored hot liquid and said "Dewfee service!" He kept insisting I give it a try and making exaggerated orgasm sounds whenever he sipped his. Finally I relented and believe it or not Mountain Dewfee tastes like garbage and bullshit.

I spit it out in the floor into his shoes as a show of my distaste and as an immediately immature form of retaliation. "You don't like it?" he said confused and disappointed. I told him that I had never hated anything more in my entire life. He walked out of the apartment and left.

I sent him a text message with a link to my coffee maker and said "We have 2 day shipping so I expect it here by Monday." He never replied until hours later and said "We are breaking up, this was my most romantic gesture of all time and you poo poo on my heart. We're done."

I have not replied yet. I thought we were going to get married but he ruined my coffee maker. But maybe he was trying to be romantic and I could have been calmer. My sister says that I should propose marriage to him, which I think is a bit of an escalation too far in the other way, but I don't know. I don't know if I really want our relationship to end but I just can't believe he is the type of person to make romantic soda coffee.

TL;DR - My boyfriend destroyed my coffee maker with Mountain Dew and I hated it, now we might break up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Malkof posted:

Just Dew it:

My (23 F) boyfriend (24 M) put Mountain Dew in my coffee to make "Mountain Dewfee" (yes really) and thought it would be "romantic".

Just run some vinegar through there, it'll be fine.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

ladies crave romance

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

mllaneza posted:

Should put a nice tangy bite in the Dewfee.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Should have gone with Baja Blast

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Loving the chaos gremlin sister, who surely wants marriage to occur so she can keep hearing dewfee man's amazing romantic adventures.
...Add any liquor and you've got your signature cocktail for the wedding sorted!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

mllaneza posted:

It probably reminds her of the idiot who thought that using Mountain Dew was a good idea. That coffee machine for her is tainted.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

lament.cfg posted:

Should have gone with Baja Blast

Always.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malkof posted:

Just Dew it:

I just want to hear from the boyfriend to hear what aspect of a horrible soda coffee was supposed to be romantic

Why did he keep insisting that this weird invention was a gesture that would somehow mean more to her? It doesn’t sound like Mountain Dew is a big fave of hers, so where does the romance come into the picture?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

you're all missing the worst part of the story: having to wait 2 days to make your own coffee

this leaves only 2 options, buying 2 days worth of starbucks's and keeping them in your fridge until needed or eating spoonfuls of coffee grounds with breakfast

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Malkof posted:

Just Dew it:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wasn't there an AAM about some middle manager who organized a happy hour or something, was encouraging everyone to eat some weed edibles, then surprised then with a drug test the next day?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

rotinaj posted:

I just want to hear from the boyfriend to hear what aspect of a horrible soda coffee was supposed to be romantic

Why did he keep insisting that this weird invention was a gesture that would somehow mean more to her? It doesn’t sound like Mountain Dew is a big fave of hers, so where does the romance come into the picture?

I assume it's self sabotage, and the 24yo man simply doesn't know how to end a relationship without a dramatic blowup or it being someone's fault. That's my best guess, anyways.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

r/relationships: believe it or not, mountain dewfee tastes like poo poo

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pentyne posted:

Wasn't there an AAM about some middle manager who organized a happy hour or something, was encouraging everyone to eat some weed edibles, then surprised then with a drug test the next day?

I remember reading one where some middle manager encouraged everyone in the zoom meeting to day-drink and then fired a bunch of them for drinking on the clock

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Close friend told me I [M19] should develop a personality, what does this mean?

they're not gonna get better, their brain is hosed. you're going to have to ditch them eventually

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

r/relationships: you dewffee bastard

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Incoming estranged parent in 3... 2...

Aita for refusing to call my daughter by her nickname?

quote:

I had three sons and when I had my daughter I was so excited. I decided to name her my all time favorite girl name that I read in a book in adolescence: Cataleya. Her entire life since preschool she insisted on being called “Taley” pronounced like “tally mark”. It’s so ugly. I have always refused to call her that nickname and always called her by her full name which she said she didn’t like.

I was very upset when she legally changed her name to Taley in her early twenties and told her that no matter what I’d call her Cataleya. She said that I was being disrespectful but we eventually got over it. She got married and in June and ever since then she’s been extremely persistent on being called her nickname only. She says that she thinks I’m being rude for being the only person to use her “old name” and I said it’s because it’s her name! Even her nickname is a shorter version of her name. I told her there’s nothing wrong with having a nickname but I won’t call her it. She threatened to cut me off! My husband says she’s overreacting but her brothers are on her side. Aita?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

selfish gits always being like "they're overreacting!!! it's such a minor thing so why can't they just put up with it" bitch if it's such a minor thing why can't YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
It’s not her name anymore if she’s legally changed it you dingus

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Incoming estranged parent in 3... 2...

Aita for refusing to call my daughter by her nickname?

IT'S NOT A NICKNAME IF IT'S HER LEGAL NAME, loving jesus.

I'm gonna assume there's something that we're not being told here, because "my daughter's cutting me off because I refuse to use what she thinks is her name" is JUST estranged parent-y enough that it makes me feel doubtful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trying to figure out what book has the name Cataleya as a name and could not give less of a poo poo about the rest of the story.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
r/relationships: tastes like garbage and bullshit

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
She's pulling some "Look, her NICKNAME is basically still her name, so she shouldn't care if I call her by her name. Also I HATE HER NICKNAME."

Somehow she is not exploding of irony

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well at least she wasnt named Apple or ESPN. This mom is super clueless.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

maybe she got sick of people calling her "cattle yeah"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mx. posted:

selfish gits always being like "they're overreacting!!! it's such a minor thing so why can't they just put up with it" bitch if it's such a minor thing why can't YOU

Because then they would lose the sense of control they're trying to exert and realize their lives are empty, hollow, and miserable, and when they die no one will mourn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Look, has no one else seen Hereditary? You have children for ONE REASON only!

Hail Paimon!

AITA I don't want to meet my child

quote:

My wife got pregnant 5 years ago. I had told her that it was due to a contraceptive fail and I don't want to have a child. I wasn't allowed to get a vasectomy done because I was too young then.

She told me I have no choice but to now take care of the child. We had a major breakout. I told her I'll be sending her about $20000 each year but she'll never see me again. I left the house and never went back. I've only been sending her the money every month through mail order.

Recently she contacted me saying the child is 4yo and i should at least try to connect with her(female child). I told her I can only send money and she wanted the child so she should be the one taking care of the child too.

She was crying and telling me the child misses her father. I told her I cannot love the child that I never wanted.

AITA?