Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

HardKase posted:

I mean if you're on this board and not on this list is be interested to know where you are from.

Dude, it's like 1/4 of world countries. All the biggest ones are there, true, but there's no China, Indonesia, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Phillipines - and those countries have almost 3 billion people between them. Even if you think no one outside of Europe and USA is allowed into the internet 1/3 of Europe is missing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, but you're posting on an English language forum, having an American/UK and former UK colonies focus isn't too weird.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

This thread has the delightfully weirdest derails. I love it.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Fallout 76 is having a free weekend on Steam. It's still a pretty bad game, and even it's supporters will usually admit that the early game grind is the worst part of the game, but you can give it a try and experience it ironically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I shan’t, OP

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Discospawn posted:

Fallout 76 is having a free weekend on Steam. It's still a pretty bad game, and even it's supporters will usually admit that the early game grind is the worst part of the game, but you can give it a try and experience it ironically.

it's not worth the bandwidth or drive space folks

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lib and let die posted:

I don't get free games to play them, and I don't read this thread for news about free games.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Dude, it's like 1/4 of world countries. All the biggest ones are there, true, but there's no China,

Curious what you mean by 'biggest'

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Counterpoint, I very much enjoy Fallout 76. It's still pretty janky, but janky in a fun way instead of a game breaking way. If you played Fallout 4 and enjoyed clearing out a location and stealing everything of value to make guns, armor, and houses, but hated the terrible story and characters the game forces you to interact with, give 76 a shot.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Lib and let die posted:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
At some point I remember people reporting just having 76 permanently added to their accounts after playing during a free weekend. Was that something that happened? And if so, did they ever fix it?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Zushio posted:

At some point I remember people reporting just having 76 permanently added to their accounts after playing during a free weekend. Was that something that happened? And if so, did they ever fix it?
I bought the game at launch and got it refunded, but when they published the game on Steam it allowed me to 'migrate' my old character to a Steam copy of the game for free. There are so many other avenues to play the game for free (Gamepass, etc.), and the game's development history has been so incompetent, that it wouldn't surprise me if Free Weekend copies sometimes turned into permanent copies.

I've tried to get into the game a couple times, but it's just such an awful experience: starting with a 1 in every SPECIAL stat, having no control over your Perk management until level 20+, and having every item level-gated so that nothing you find is meaningful until you grind out to Level 50 to discover there's no real end-game content except for terrible RNG. I've found it much more engaging just to follow the game's awful development/updates than to play the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i got a "free copy" differently. if you were part of the beta and didn't uninstall within some short period, it became impossible to properly uninstall, because the bethesda client wouldn't give you permission to touch those files. of course i couldn't actually play the game, so i was stuck with 50 or whatever gigs of bloat for over half a year, when they suddenly remembered to fix it.

(yes there probably were ways around it (control panel uninstall didn't work either, though), but i didn't want to mess around with the registry to make sure everything was clean)

that game was something else.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I couldn't play it because they didn't allow you to install it on any other drive than the C drive. Then it got fixed and I played it and it was alright. Thanks for my Ted Talk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked reading about if you spent a ton of money on 76 you got a special icon next to your name, and then everyone without the special icon would try and merk you because gently caress the rich, was nice.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I liked reading about if you spent a ton of money on 76 you got a special icon next to your name, and then everyone without the special icon would try and merk you because gently caress the rich, was nice.
I think this was shortly after they launched their optional monthly subscription service 'Fallout First' that allowed players to pay to get around some of the game's worst design decisions (the subscription allowed you to store unlimited crafting materials, create and play on a private server, and avoid the hassle of base-maintenance by providing a mobile mini-camp you kept in your inventory and could deploy anywhere).

The community was outraged at first, because the game was already heavily reliant on the microtransaction-based Atom Shop, and it seemed insulting to force players to pay $10 a month for fixes to the game that had been requested since launch. There were Reddit threads announcing the organization of groups to grief Fallout 1st members & petitions to stop playing the game if Bethesda didn't reverse course on the matter.

Of course, now the game's remaining player population seem to be heavily skewed towards people paying this subscription fee, to the point that Reddit threads just assume that everybody reading has the membership and the Reddit threads now are complaints that Bethesda hasn't added more features to Fallout 1st.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yup based on my last visit a few months ago, i would not be surprised if the remaining (not insubstantial) playerbase is mostly fallout 1st subscribers

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Heads up for anyone who has a Classic Choice subscription on Humble. It looks like they've opened up (or hosed up) an extra 2 claims for 2019-2020, allowing you to grab all the games for all months before January 2021. Looks like they already ran out of keys for This Is The Police 2, so act quick.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Heads up for anyone who has a Classic Choice subscription on Humble. It looks like they've opened up (or hosed up) an extra 2 claims for 2019-2020, allowing you to grab all the games for all months before January 2021. Looks like they already ran out of keys for This Is The Police 2, so act quick.
Thanks, I had a few months in that timeframe and grabbed 6 unclaimed games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Among the Sleep is up on EGS

DARQ: Complete Edition next

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I've been grabbing every single free game on Epic Game Store and barely install any of them and have barely played any of them, so I understand they might think I'm a bot. Is everyone else getting captcha asks.

twice in a row it was "identify the pictures with bicycles" and the most recent they had pictures of motorcycles in the mix, assholes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I used to get them early on, but not recently.

You can always use the client instead.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Skwirl posted:

I've been grabbing every single free game on Epic Game Store and barely install any of them and have barely played any of them, so I understand they might think I'm a bot. Is everyone else getting captcha asks.

twice in a row it was "identify the pictures with bicycles" and the most recent they had pictures of motorcycles in the mix, assholes.

I got my first ever today and it was "identify each picture of a motorbus" then showed me a red two level english-style bus. And half the captcha pictures were of regular buses, and half of two level busses. I just clicked everything. But I definitely wasn't sure.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I get em every time the store is making GBS threads itself and has loading problems

site fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 21, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Duderclese posted:

I got my first ever today and it was "identify each picture of a motorbus" then showed me a red two level english-style bus. And half the captcha pictures were of regular buses, and half of two level busses. I just clicked everything. But I definitely wasn't sure.

every time you answer wrong another tesla crashes into a firetruck

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You'll get hit with captchas more often if you're on a VPN, as well

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Skwirl posted:

I got the bike one, and then trucks. There were no trucks. I felt S M R T

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My epic account was made by a bot using my email and I just changed the password on it when I found it, so I wouldn't be surprised if they thought I was a bot.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Do they let you turn off the awful blur and depth of field in Fallout 76 yet? I tried it out on gamepass but got motion sickness pretty much immediately. The graphic settings really messed with my depth perception as well.

Super strange because I never ran into any issues like that in Fallout 4.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

Do they let you turn off the awful blur and depth of field in Fallout 76 yet? I tried it out on gamepass but got motion sickness pretty much immediately. The graphic settings really messed with my depth perception as well.

it gave me blurred vision and headaches. the bad framerate on ps4 pro didn't help.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I think you are just getting what we gamers call fallout 76 sickness

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Freedom Trails posted:

every time you answer wrong another tesla crashes into a firetruck

Is there a way to force more captchas?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

i must compose posted:

West Virginia Syndrome

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The best thing Fallout 76 gave us was this video.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

i must compose posted:

When you have to hit the captain up to enjoy a game, maybe not a great game.

(I only played the preview or whatever and it was just okay, I liked the setting anyway)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

i must compose posted:

Come on, not Fallout Seventy Sickness?

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Come on, not Fallout Seventy Sickness?

I spent my wit on atoms

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a way to force more captchas?

Yes! And not only that, I have a lil’ garage captcha farm running, and with very little work have been able to retrain 70% of the vehicular lidar systems in operation to think babies are tunnel entrances.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

There are a lot of settings you can change in the game's .ini file that can help with display issues, performance, etc (but that can't be changed in-game). They just recently announced an upcoming quarterly update where 1 of the 3 deliverables was "Customized Pip-Boy Colors," which was just an RGB value in the config settings that PC users could change from Day 1 of the game's launch. Unfortunately I don't have an up-to-date guide to link you to what you should try to fiddle with, I just know that's been a big part of making Fallout 76 tolerable since the game's launch.

With Fallout 4, so many of the blatantly bad aspects of the game were fixed by mods, but Fallout 76 doesn't have that kind of crutch to fall back on.

Dead By Daylight is also having a Free Weekend now, and that's a much better game that's more tailored to using a few days to decide whether it interests you or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Skwirl posted:

I've never gotten any of those captchas but I've actually thrown :10bux: Sweeney's way a few times for Hades and Outer Wilds, so maybe they stop bot-checking if you've spent actualmoney.