Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Either Midkemia has way, way more gold than Earth does, or the Kingdom's Sovereign is debased all to hell. Soldiers in the Eastern Roman Empire were paid a base wage of 1 gold coin a year, with an additional one if they actually had to campaign.

Or whoever provides that 100 sovereigns for 4 months figure has a truly absurd standard for "comfortable" I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or they are absurdly small coins.

Also a rest at an inn costs around 25 of them, I wouldn't call 4 of those a month and nothing else "the good life" in any case, so they are absolutely full of poo poo.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The real answer is pretty much "because D&D," where the makers of that would admit that the amount of gold being thrown around is ridiculous but also chests full of gold coins are really satisfying to find as treasure. And then you get into video games where even that gets flattened further into "no there are no smaller currencies, gold pieces for everything!"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

paragon1 posted:

Or whoever provides that 100 sovereigns for 4 months figure has a truly absurd standard for "comfortable" I guess.

In this case it's a rough-and-tumble mercenary, so I doubt they're overly used to living in the lap of luxury.

SIGSEGV posted:

Also a rest at an inn costs around 25 of them, I wouldn't call 4 of those a month and nothing else "the good life" in any case, so they are absolutely full of poo poo.

In the game, hard rations for one person for two weeks costs 7 gold coins, a single cup of ale is 1 gold coin. :v:

The economy isn't super realistic, yeah.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Wow, that was an update, alright! You... know you can break up and spread out updates a bit, right? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, that was an update, alright! You... know you can break up and spread out updates a bit, right? :v:

That sounds like an awful lot of effort compared to any given recording session turning into one update.

You guys are just lucky I don't play this game in four-hour stretches.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
As much loving about as the party seems to get up to 4 hours isn't too much of a stretch. Although now you've got temples and teleport money so it's prob not too bad.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is why I recommend leaving the training opportunities nearer to Krondor alone until chapter 2, to bring James (slightly more) up to snuff. Though he's never great.

MagusofStars posted:

-Assessment isn't particularly useful, but between the boost you get here and another training and the skill book, you get something absurd like +50 to the stat. So if you do ever bother to use it for some reason, your character gets the entire stat sheet of the opponent in one go.
It's decent for making sure an enemy can't hurt you if you want to take a rest in combat (much more efficient than actually resting \ chugging down restoratives) \ for defense training.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
James is way better if you're a dumbass kid and beeline straight for Krondor in chapter 1, then get stuck in chapter 3 and wander the entire map before stumbling in to how to advance the plot.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Xander77 posted:

This is why I recommend leaving the training opportunities nearer to Krondor alone until chapter 2, to bring James (slightly more) up to snuff. Though he's never great.
I always found James to be better than Locklear. Lock has better base attack and defense, but Chapter 2/3 just have SO MANY battles, stat boosts, and buyable training books available that by late Ch.2 / early Ch.3, James takes the lead and just never gives it up. And being the most mobile character in the game is something that can’t really be replaced; there’s nothing you can do to boost Locklear’s speed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

there’s nothing you can do to boost Locklear’s speed.

Technically if you place him right, you could use Winds of Eortis to shove him into position. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LeastActionHero posted:

James is way better if you're a dumbass kid and beeline straight for Krondor in chapter 1, then get stuck in chapter 3 and wander the entire map before stumbling in to how to advance the plot.

whatup first playthrough experience buddy

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm so excited for the eventual 'best spell' argument. Sadly we don't have it yet, or maybe we picked it up back at Sarth and Purple just has really bad opinions about that spell and isn't using it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm so excited for the eventual 'best spell' argument. Sadly we don't have it yet, or maybe we picked it up back at Sarth and Purple just has really bad opinions about that spell and isn't using it.

The problem with BaK's spell selection is that while a lot of them are THEORETICALLY useful, you end up with several which are NEVER useful and a few which are simply BETTER than the rest for the most part. But after this next bit, I think I'll have enough of a spell library that it might be worth doing a catch-up post.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MagusofStars posted:

I always found James to be better than Locklear. Lock has better base attack and defense, but Chapter 2/3 just have SO MANY battles, stat boosts, and buyable training books available that by late Ch.2 / early Ch.3, James takes the lead and just never gives it up.
Not in my experience. Even after travelling the world in chapter 3 and making use of basically every single training opportunity, James is still strictly worse once Locklear returns with his stats boosted.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

The problem with BaK's spell selection is that while a lot of them are THEORETICALLY useful, you end up with several which are NEVER useful and a few which are simply BETTER than the rest for the most part. But after this next bit, I think I'll have enough of a spell library that it might be worth doing a catch-up post.

There are some amazingly trash spells. Nightfingers might actually be the worst spell in any game I've ever played. I can't even think of a close second.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

There are some amazingly trash spells. Nightfingers might actually be the worst spell in any game I've ever played. I can't even think of a close second.

At least it does something. The Realms of Arkania games have multiple spells and skills that literally have no use, aside from wasting your skill points and mana. My vote for best spell is Grief of 1000 nights, it basically takes an enemy out of the fight with a low cost, no rng, and no line of sight bs. Just consistently useful from the moment you get it. Oh, and the spell that lets you see containers on the map if you don't use a guide. It is so easy to miss a chest or dirt pile in this game

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Losing the glory hand when you cast it is actively detrimental since you're now out an expensive sellable item in exchange for something you'll get when you kill them anyways.

My go-to spell is the one that makes you immune to all damage. 5 stamina cast lasts for all but the longest fights and now Owyn is immortal, which opens up all sorts of options, the laziest of which is Melee Owyn.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have anything to say except I really like this LP and I never played it, despite trying to read all the mainline books once.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The best spell is Dragon Skin and it's not even close.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think you'll actually find the best spell is Nightfingers, as we've discussed.

I think my vote for worst spell probably goes to one that, ironically, the BAK Help Web author quite liked a lot - we haven't seen it yet iirc so no names, but I found it needlessly time-consuming to set up and use, especially compared to some of Owyn's other, very powerful, spells.

it comes down to 'why take 2+ turns to kill someone when you can just do it in 1' but maybe there's a secret interaction or reason to use it I never figured out.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 25, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The best spell is Dragon Skin and it's not even close.

Ding ding ding.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The problem with most RPGs is that a nearly dead enemy is as dangerous as a fully healthy one, so spells that kill slowly but are more efficient... aren't, really. Debuffs and over-time effects work well in games with longer fights, but that's not the majority.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

The problem with most RPGs is that a nearly dead enemy is as dangerous as a fully healthy one, so spells that kill slowly but are more efficient... aren't, really. Debuffs and over-time effects work well in games with longer fights, but that's not the majority.
Interestingly, that's not the case here. Enemies suffer from the same health-based stat penalties that your characters do - an enemy with low health is basically useless (and might already be actively fleeing). In fact, there's even a legitimate strategy where you leave the last enemy alive at a sliver of health so you can spam the 'rest' button to recover some health.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Update 16: BaK on Track, Part 1

When we last left off, the party had just cleared up some unfinished business and is now about to approach Silden, the southeasternmost point of the map. Before we actually do this, though, we're going to run off the road again, since as usual someone's stashed their treasures in the treeline next to some random hill.

Each time the game starts, the battlefield grid option is turned off, so at first glance, this one doesn't even look like a trap, because Gorath's huge loving bulk is hiding one of the zappy pillars.

Once the lines are on, it makes a bit more sense, and looks unbeatable if you haven't realized you can do diagonal movement. But there's a neat path in between that you can just slip your right-most party member through easily.

They're protecting three chests hidden in the woods well enough that you might, from the wrong angle, only see two of them.

RIVER

SWORD

ICE

While none of these chests have any gear upgrades, not even really for a less min/maxed party, the value of the contents of the eastern chests is higher than what we found previously, they contain both a decent bunch of gold, and also the third chest contains a ruby and a Ring of Prandur(one of the light rings), which both sell for decent amounts if you don't just hit the first shop you find and wait for one with a decent resell value.

Anyway, now that we're back on the r-

Goddammit.

Impossible. A Webber lock cannot be picked.

Perhaps not by you, but one skilled in the arts of subtlety, he may know how to penetrate even the most difficult of locks. It is a matter of patience.

I don't care how patient you are, a Webber lock cannot be picked. You're making idle boasts.

And what would Abuk gain telling strangers a fact that was not true, eh? I merely say these things so I may advertise my services and you might make use of them one day. I state simple fact. There is no lock in this Kingdom of yours that Abuk cannot pick. None.

Is that so? Perhaps you could teach us how to pick Webber locks...

It would take more time than I think you would care to spend. I spent five years at the foot of my master Caliphad in the shadow of mount Ashunta learning the art. But I could perhaps improve whatever skill you may already possess. A small fee of seventy gold sovereigns should pay for my time.

Seventy gold pieces for a lesson in lockpicking? That's nothing short of robbery.

You are wise. I should not cheat myself in this fashion. Eighty sovereigns, but I cannot raise my price any higher, despite the great deference you show to my person. Is the arrangement to be sealed?

[YES]

All right, Keshian. Eighty sovereigns, but I am warning you...I doubt there's anything you can teach me.

You must open yourself to new things. This is the first learning. Without this opening you will not be complete. Opening your self is like opening a lock. If you cannot open, then the lock may not open. You should understand that there is no difference between yourself and the lock that you pick. All these things I will demonstrate with a test lock that I carry with me. Now I want you to observe.

Keshian double...talk. Wait a minute...how did you do that? I couldn't see... Do that again.

That is it. You have received your first lesson, darkeyes.

That was too fast. I couldn't catch what you were doing.

In time you shall realize what was done. In your mind, the events will unlock and thus your hands will unlock as well. I must go now. Good bye.

Wait...

The worst part about that encounter was that it actually made me better at lockpicking.

It's not a big upgrade, only about 6 points, but considering that this still puts James at 88 Lockpicking, this means he's very little training shy of being able to pick every last drat lock in the game. Canonically, the party neither heads for Silden at this point, or meets Abuk at this point, though of course we can also meet him here if we go the long way around with Locklear in chapter 1. If we do, Abuk warns the party to stay the gently caress away from Silden since it's now apparently the Crawler's playground. In said encounter he refers to the Crawler's servants as having "great cajunlo," which sounds like some sort of appropriated voodoo term, but at a quick googling I only get food hits, so it might just sound that way but actually be entirely innocent.

Like any travelling weirdo is going to keep us away from Silden.
...so why are we going to Silden?
Because in an alternate timeline we might have been warned not to, which means there's clearly something there someone doesn't want us to interact with.

There's not actually much reason to go to Silden until chapter 3, but it's the principle of the matter.

The approach to Silden is mostly calm and unexceptional, except that this area has a bunch of chests, not quite as many as in the Dimwood where we were tripping over the loving things, but it's worth scraping your face against the hills like you're playing Wolfenstein 3D and looking for secret doors.

THORN

This one contains a Virtue Key, a key type we don't have yet, and which opens a whole three things throughout the game(so of course you can find 13 of them in the wild and buy them in 4 places, Christ.), and also a note!

quote:

Given to Isunatus of Cavall Keep, the quantity of five hundred rubies and two hundred golden sovereigns, totalling a value not in excess of twenty thousand and two hundred sovereigns.

This one seems completely irrelevant but actually triggers extra dialogue at one point later in the game, though I think you may actually need to physically bring the note along, not just have read it(will test it when I get that far), which would be a bit counterintuitive since almost no other notes work that way(I think it's one or two others, tops). And in fact most notes are just fluff text and don't tell you anything useful or trigger anything gameplay-wise.

ALCOHOL

I somehow missed a screenshot of the third chest but here's the riddle:

"Death to our Enemies!
no Living adversary shall
Escape the new King of
these isles. He will lead us
to glory And provide New
lands for our people!"

DELEKHAN

Neither of the other two chests contain anything of note, just generic items and a bit of money.

The last stretch of the road to Silden has a special, non-visible encounter...

Aside from the intro, these three goons are nothing special.

And they go down adorably quickly, which somewhat makes you wonder what's up with their "battle tactic."

See, it drops plagued on everyone. Which is bad! But as far as I can tell, being Plagued by itself doesn't actually impact the party's skills in a meaningful way, it just slowly kills them. This means that while sure, it's a useful tactic, it's specifically a useful tactic if you then run the gently caress away and let the plague victims die of the plague, not if you hang around and let them run you through. Morons.

How nostalgic, we caught the plague with Locklear, too.
I could do with us catching the plague a bit less, myself. What are the odds there's a cut-rate plague-curer in this area, too?
Since you humans seem to breed like rats and live like rats, I'd assume they'd be in high demand and omnipresent.
Sadly, no, but there's supposed to be a temple just off Silden... let's crack these chests and hope it's true.

The chest these guys almost died on top of isn't locked, and all it contains is a single note(though only in chapter 2, so if you came here in chapter 1, you may well miss it):

Looks like we ruined one of the Crawler's plans. :smug:
There's no possible way you could have known that was one of the Crawler's plots when you broke into that barn.
Good luck proving it. :smug:

There's also a scarecrow alongside the road into town, for some reason. Enjoy those crisp graphics.

For the moment, Silden isn't super interesting to us. It has a magic store(Hakha's Cajunlo, there's that name again), of all things, where I buy a couple of spells I don't really need or want, but which I grabbed for the sake of completionism and because the party has an assload of gold. It has a background location we can't interact with(a door that James wants a closer look at, but there's too much traffic for him to do so). It has an inn.

But the innkeeper complains that the party's bad for business and chases them out(he won't be useful for anything until chapter 3).

What matters at the moment, though, is the ship on the right, the Mist Devil, because it'll take us to the island temple of the dead god Eortis.

BaK posted:

Locklear shouted at the ship.

Appearing at the railing of the ship, a golden haired man waved down to them, advising them to stand clear of the net that was coming over the side.

"What ship is this?" Locklear shouted.

"The Mist Devil, this is," the sailor replied proudly, pounding the railing with a fist. "Only ship fast enough to have slipped away from Captain Trenchard! We're readying sail for the Isle of Eortis at the moment."

Locklear considered for a moment. How much for passage to the Isle?"

"30 golden sovereigns," the sailor called down. "Are you interested in making the trip? If so, come on up the gangplank."

[YES]

They boarded the ship.

Within minutes of weighing anchor, the Mist Devil sped across the narrow channel which separated the Isle of Eortis from the mainland. After an eternity of the distant horizon seeming to grow no closer, they eventually docked with the help of a river pilot.

Interestingly enough, they won't even let us get on the boat if we aren't diseased, though it doesn't get referenced at all when we are diseased. Thankfully there's nothing super-unique or important on the isle, so if you go get healed at a less broken-down temple that worships a non-dead god, you won't be missing out on anything super-cool. Still, now we're here...

But that's why we've come. The shipmaster in Silden said we could find a healer on this island who could help us.

You have been misinformed. I am not a priestess of Sung and Eortis concerns himself solely with the denizens of his kingdom of the sea. He may act only on their behalf. Thus is his purpose as deigned by the will of Ishap, the One Above All.

When I was young, I was fortunate enough to have learned something about how the temples all worked. I thought I remembered that a god can sometimes be compelled outside his purpose in return for a duty of obeisance.

That is true, but Eortis is but a shadow of what he once was. Upon a time, before the Valheru warred with the gods of Midkemia, his influence was as the depth and breadth of the seas and all that moved across them. When at last he vanished, Killian assumed control of his realm but here some essence of what he was still survives. We can not communicate with a god that is lost.

But if we were to act on his behalf, do you think he would grant us favor?

I cannot know. If there were more than an essence of him in this place, perhaps we could commune with him and learn his thoughts, but we of the order of Eortis are the servants of a vanished god. We see his will only in very small ways.

Perhaps we are here to serve that will. What can we do to help you?

I can see no harm in your request, but I can guarantee you no measure of success or failure in your efforts. I can depend only on what the omens may tell me. Perhaps Eortis will stir from his slumber to grant his favor. Until then, the Mist Devil will bring you no longer to this Isle.

Could you at least give us an idea of where to start? You may be able to read the god's will in the falling of a sparrow, but some of us are not half so clever.

Of late, we have had many tell us the rusalki who sometimes linger near the rivers have become disturbed. If you may find them all and lay them to rest, it might serve your purposes. I will warn you however that many of these sisters of Eliaem are wily and will find ways to hide their presence. Many do not wish to be sent into the halls of Lims-Kragma. You will need to be clever in finding them... This is my advice.

BaK posted:

As they filed out of the inner sanctum, Beyla suddenly dropped to her knees behind them. They rushed to her side but she had already gained her feet as they reached her.

"I am sorry," she said breathlessly. "Eortis' touch is sometimes overwhelming. Though I cannot understand the meaning of it, something in you has aroused his interest and he has smiled on you this day. Good luck to you."

So, you might notice that at no point does this in any way hint that anything actually happened to us. But something did! We're actually cured of our plague now! We also now can't come back to the temple unless we find five Rusalki encounters on the mainland and clear them out, at which point the Temple of Eortis starts to provide free healing for anything.

Cool, I guess we're divine hitmen now. I always wanted that job as a kid.

Also, high-effect plagues aren't something to gently caress with. This is how much damage it did in the couple of minutes it took me to loot that one chest outside of town, walk into town, and then come back out. I guess Eortis just saw fit to remove the plague, not remove the weeping lesions or whatever it caused.

That's Silden sorted until chapter 3, however, now we can head northwards to yet more distractions! I mean plot progress!

You know you're out of the boonies when even random dirt mounds in the woods are full of rubies. During this update, the party will collect enough rubies that I actually have to start tossing drugs and ammunition into temporary cold storage just to carry all the rubies.

I can't believe someone would force us to make such hard choices.
I vote for keeping the rubies.
I vote for keeping the crossbow bolts.

About half of the rusalki we need to fight are opt-in, plus I think they only spawn at night, but a couple of them are on the main road and avoiding them requires a detour. Thankfully, they're like budget Shades, and we've already dealt with as nasty a Shade situation as the game can throw at us.

Also because I'm absolutely an easily-amused child, I still find it funny that they're using the exact same bit of dialogue text for every time you examine an enemy with a right-click. Yes, James, I'm sure these ghosts are just out for a peaceful walk, that's super reasonable to assume.

A few battle types have special battle start dialogues, rusalki and shades being among them. Oddly enough they seem to be the only type of text that's not stored on the Betrayal at Krondor supersite.

Stat-wise, rusalki and shades are pretty similar, as I think I've mentioned before. The main difference is that rusalki have no melee attack and thus can be negated in the same way as casters, i.e. by vaguely invading their personal space. They also tend to have less health than shades. Anyway, let's solve this in the simplest way possible.

Explain how more ghosts is going to solve things.
I mean, that's how we've dealt with most battles so far.
I can't tell them apart! Which one do I hit?!

Still, the battle goes pretty easily because we can largely prevent them from doing anything. I briefly considered hitting them with Grief of 1000 Nights, but thought that, logically, it wouldn't affect ghosts. It turns out that I'm right and it doesn't affect Shades, but should still affect Rusalki. Look forward to me completely forgetting this by the next time I fight a sizeable number of them.

They get special battle-over text, too!

A bit farther up the road is another encounter with three rusalki. In general, single-enemy-type encounters aren't very interesting unless they're enemies with multiple tricks, like Shades, or something else that makes them really hard to clown on, so just trust me when I say that the party hits them with swords until they go away.

I have absolutely no idea what's up with this text. Nothing prevents you from then stomping onwards and actually fighting the rogues guarding the road, and as far as I can tell you have no way to learn "what they're guarding" except by actually attacking them and then getting like 25% of an explanation for what's going on if you hit the... I think it's the failed ambush dialogue that does it?

In that one, "Crenard" mentions he has a deal with the owner of the "Riverpilot's Folly," and nothing else.

One of these three chucklefucks is Crenard, possibly the Whizzard on the left. He doesn't get any spells off, since James just walks up and glares at him while stabbing him. If he did, though, he wouldn't be too scary, since he only has Flamecast, Skyfire and Unfortunate Flux with which to gently caress us.

So what were Crenard and his buddies guarding? Apparently just this side path containing two ripoff taverns!

The only noteworthy thing about them, except that they try to charge me loving 70 gold for a night's stay, is that they excuse it by claiming that Rusalki are making the roads unsafe. Supposedly the prices go back to normal if you kill them all for the Temples of Eortis, but then what was Crenard's deal with the inn owner about?

Ugh. Probably cut content. Anyway, in a patch of trees behind one of the inns there are also some chests.

BARD

BRIARS

The third one doesn't have a code, but is instead locked with a hefty 76-difficulty pickable lock. In total the three of them contain about 200 gold, which is a really nice score, especially as it is not exactly a huge effort to see James able to pick the locked one this early in the game(since it contains about 3/4's of the gold).

Inexplicably, a random houseowner about two minutes' walk from the inns that already sell food at normal prices also sells food for the same prices.

I almost completely missed this guy hanging out next to this field because he didn't aggro until I practically bumped into him, I'm not sure if he just had a really small aggro radius or if the party's stealth rating just made him not notice us. Let's see what's up with him.

Well, looks like it's just one guy who completely lost his poo poo. There's nothing special about his abilities or his drops, or even what's buried in that dirt next to him. I guess he's kind of an easter egg? I don't think I need to reveal any secret super-strats I use, Gorath and James just hit him over the head with swords repeatedly while Owyn takes a smoke break.

Shortly afterwards, there's a loop of side road leading in among the hills, with a big "KEEP OUT!" sign out front. Obviously this means we need to see what's in there eventually, though sadly it's not something we can interact with yet.

Approaching this house further up the north/south road that forms the eastern edge of the gameplay area, there's a hidden Shade ambush. Just a single one, nothing too threatening. But maybe that means there's something worth checking out about the house!

There is in a fact a lot of poo poo to do about this house. I think this is where like 90% of the update's text is gonna be.

BaK posted:

James produced the requested amount and handed it over, following the tall man. Just before pushing aside a curtain, he halted and whispered to them.
"Do not question some of the things my wife may say or do," he said. "We have recently lost a daughter and it has shaken Haphra's belief in some of her...abilities. Please, if she asks for acceptance, no matter what she may have said, please treat her kindly."

Without another word, he shoved aside the curtain and allowed them into a rear room where Madame Haphra waited. Seated at a table, she wore a woven brocade vest over a lightly dyed peasant's blouse, and her hands and neck were ornamented with bright wooden beads.

"Please have a seat," she muttered, waving a brightly nailed hand at the rude chairs set across from her. As she spoke, her eyelids fluttered, as if she were speaking through an alcoholic haze. "I may provide three services for you. We may speak of local rumors, I may tell thee the future, or I may speak to the dead. Which would you have of me?"

[RUMOURS]

"Rumors," she repeated, quietly. Leaning forward in her seat, she met Owyn's gaze and held it, allowing her voice to harden. "Rumors? I will tell thee of the only rumor about which I know. Many have come and spoken to me of Rusalki that roam the lands near the River Pilot's Folly at night, but these are lies..."

Startled with the ferocity with which the woman had bitten off the last word, James shrugged his shoulders. "I had not heard anything of them..."

"Do not seek the Rusalki!" she continued, her voice still frantic. "They are of no harm to anyone!"

Although he had remained quiet as Haphra had begun to rant, Bella moved forward and touched her on the shoulder, seemingly relieving the wildness that was overcoming her. "These gentlemen are friends," he said quietly. "You will not be injured."

Taking his hand, she nodded once, then looked back at James. "You will forgive me. This has...touched our lives, but I can explain no further."

Believing the session was over, Bella stepped forward to escort them out, but Haphra motioned for him to keep his place. "I do not believe they were finished," she said, treating them with a faint smile. "For the price you they have paid, they may continue to ask questions. So, strangers. As I have told you before, we may speak of local rumors, I may tell thee the future, or I may speak to the dead. Which would you have of me?"

[THE DEAD]

Closing her eyes, the old woman shook as if a tree bowing beneath the winds of a howling gale, her lips drawn taut and her face drained of color. After several moments of effort, she shook her head. I cannot...help you. Lims-Kragma holds those you wish too tightly."

[THE FUTURE]

"Very well," Haphra said with a weak smile, her posture relaxing visibly as she leaned back into the overstuffed cushions of her sitting chair. "We shall tell your future..."

(One of the following paragraphs is then what you receive)

Owyn cringed as he found that the mystic was regarding him intensely, fixing him with a gaze that looked frankly more familiar than he liked. "You shall discover wealth in a hidden place, but shall lose something dearly won so that you may obtain it. In gaining it, you shall have great joy, but later will find that it holds great misery for the time ahead."

Staring deep into Owyn's eyes, she hesitated a moment, then shook her head. "I can tell you nothing you do not already know," she said, then locked gazes with Gorath. "But you, however, I see betrayal in your future. You will turn on all that you have sworn oath to and will become something you once hated. You will face your enemy most hated and he will change you."

For a long moment she sat silently, her gaze turned as much inwards as outwards, but at last she spoke in a startlingly youthful voice. "A long shadow and a star stand over your house," she said, addressing Locklear. "Even as you find the soul that is kin to your own and achieve all that you had hoped, you will lose your closest friend to passion in a foreign land."

Regarding James, the look on her face slowly changed, turning into a mask of pain and regret. "You will die a slow and painful death, alone and in starvation," she said somberly. Those upon whom you thought you could count will abandon you in your hour of need and in death they will believe you a disgrace to your station."

A puzzled look crossed Haphra's face as she attempted to concentrate. "Yours is a fortune I have not seen the like of for some time. A dead man's key will open the doors which cannot be seen and are hidden beneath those who bow below the seven rayed star."

Her eyes half-closed, she looked dreamily at James, licking her lips as she spoke. "When you are driven on the longest road, you will seek to destroy the instrument of deception, but will find need to deceive those who guard the way. In the very last place you will find that salvation is with the man who seems a boy."

Shivering, as if seized with a sudden chill, she flicked a bony finger out at Owyn. "You shall save one whom you admire from a dire fate, but shall awaken the attention of those whom most wish for your destruction. Forever after, you shall find that you walk the paths of the world nameless and alone."

---

Folding her hands in her lap, she looked on them serenely, her face beginning to resume the look of her age. "This is the fate I see for you," she said, the slight tremolo in her voice betraying a hint of nervousness. "The fates have spoken through me..."

You can then choose to accept or reject her prophecy. If you accept it, nothing happens. If you reject it...

BaK posted:

James snorted his contempt for the old woman's prediction. "I could have said any of the same things. I've heard virtually all those things from street lunatics..."

"Haphra!" Bella shouted, but was shoved aside like a mere twig as the old woman lunged to her feet, her eyes blazing fury. Raking James's face with her sharpened nails, she howled in a voice that no longer sounded human. I am Haphra! You will believe! You will believe..."

Weeping openly, Bella moved behind his distraught wife, but rather than trying to console her, he lifted a stick of fire wood and struck her to the floor. Standing over her unconscious form, he seemed poised to strike again...

"Wha... ," Confused, James flashed a horrified stare at Bella, but suddenly drew back in shock as another form began to materialize around Haphra's crumpled body, taking on the shape of a young girl. For a moment it hovered, its expression glowering as it stared at Bella. Then, with a hateful screech, it flashed through the air to pass through the walls of the house.

"Go after it," Bella sobbed, dropping to the ground to cradle his wife. Go and kill it. We are finished with the rusalki now. Go!"

Nearly tripping over the clutter of the small house, they rushed outside and prepared their weapons for the rusalki who now awaited to kill them all.

Which lead to some oddity. This dumps you outside the house and it's clearly intended that the moment you take a step, the rusalki attacks you. But, because the party's stealth is too high, the rusalki somehow overlooks them and I end up running in circles around the house for two minutes until the party eventually screws up their stealth check and gets into a fight with a single Rusalki. Once again, a fight so underwhelming it's not worth showing off. Maybe we should go back to the house again and see what happens, though?

BaK posted:

Bella said nothing as he let them inside.

Next to the door, Haphra was sitting up, her frail fingers clutched in her hair and a distant look on her face. As she regarded them, she looked more relieved than pained for her injury.

"She is dead?"

"Yes," James replied. "Dead. Or at least we may assume so. What exactly did we witness here?"

"A foolish old woman who didn't wish to let her daughter go," she said, her voice trembling. Grabbing hold of Bella's hand for support, she continued on bravely. "After our daughter died, I sought to find her with my talents. I thought if I could seize on to her, we could keep her with us."

"But that's not what you found," James replied.

Haphra shook her head. "No it wasn't. Instead, I found the spirit of the rusalki who promised that she would bring our daughter to us, if we would allow her to live through me, to inhabit this body. For a while we believed her, but after several weeks...we knew we had been trapped by the creature."

Feeling awkward in the woman's presence, James touched the woman's shoulder lightly. "I am very sorry."

"Don't be," she said. "You have freed us of a curse and now we can begin to rebuild our lives without my daughter. For this, I shall grant you a true prophecy, or at least one as true as I am capable."

Looking deep into James's eyes, Haphra spoke slowly. "There is one you seek who hides in many guises. He will trick you and guide attention away from himself, but he is marked by his smell. He shall be the one who holds the key to an important mystery."

"What is his name?" James asked, intrigued by the answer.

"I do not know," the woman replied in shame, looking to the floor. "In truth, my powers are quite limited. I have told you all that I can truly see."

"Enough," Bella said. "It is time you had some rest, Haphra."

Understanding that the man wished for them to leave, James nodded thankfully to the fortune teller and her husband. "Good luck on your new life together," he said, closing the door behind them. "I think you deserve it."

This is actually a really relevant clue and the one you can get in any of chapters 1 through 3, though it's not really relevant until chapter 3. In Chapter 6, Haphra updates with a new true prophecy which actually has a hint necessary to winning the game, though you can also get it elsewhere because the designers weren't total dicks.

Immediately opposite the house is a tiny riverside path which you totally need to follow. It's guarded by two rogues and a single quegan, absolute pushovers since they're not super strong, not magicians and don't outnumber us. However, they are guarding an absolute shitload of chests. In addition to the immediately visible one, if you turn the corner around the hill there are a further four. Five chests!

Thankfully the place where the battle exit drops you makes it almost impossible to miss the rest. Two of them are code chests, two are locked and one is trapped(though with only a 19 difficulty, no character could fail it. Though I think that if you don't have Scent of Sarig active, you will always trigger traps).

HAIR

HOLES

This one remains one of my favourite code chests because it feels like it's playing a trick on your expectations of what adding something can be. :v:

Anyway, what does cracking these five chests yield us?

THREE rubies, which is between 500 and 700 gold depending on where you sell them.
Several blessed swords.
Eyes of Ishap and Steelfire scrolls if you don't already have the spells.
Two Clerical Oilcloths, you know the things that double attack damage for a battle(and also sell for a lot of money)

And various other minor supplies. If you don't walk past this side road, I would go out on a limb and say it is one of the biggest single-location hauls, money-wise, in the entire game. I mean there's probably more in the Dimwood if you go through there, but that also requires hauling rear end across close to fifteen separate caches scattered across like a fifth of the area of the entire game world. It is, in fact, a kind of problematic haul since this is where I start having to make some hard choices about what to grab and leave behind, especially since not every shop buys every sort of item, and while they can be worth a lot, armor, weapons and magic items are only accepted by a minority of stores(a few of them cross over categories, though, like Rings of Prandur are accepted by both jewelry type stores and magic type stores, and some stores accept more than one category of item).

Further up the road we come to the weirdly named town of "Sloop," the last town before we reach Romney coming from the south. In addition to having a jewel trader, who pays top gold for our piles of gems, it also has, of course, a tavern and an astounding number of its houses actually contain encounters rather than just being empty houses or getting a "no one's around"-response when interacted with.

Let's just start listing them all off, because they actually make Sloop kind of feel like a living little place.

BaK posted:

A pretty woman of about thirty answered James' knock.

She came to the door holding a leatherbound book. Looking past her into the house James could see four or five children of various ages.

"I'm afraid you gentlemen are a little old for my classes," she said.

"Uh... Yes... Okay then, well, we won't disturb you any further. Goodbye, Miss."

After the door closed James turned to Owyn and said, "Don't give me that look. Teachers always make me nervous."

Standing in front of the wooden door James paused to marvel at the construction of the house. Unlike many such houses, this one had apparently been built quite soundly, and out of good materials. He knocked on the solidly built door.

A moment later a large man appeared in the doorway, his sandy colored hair dancing around on his head thanks to a gentle breeze. "You fellas come about a house? No one builds 'em better!" he said proudly.

James took a step back. "We were just admiring the fine job you did. Very nice work. Unfortunately, we're just passing through."

They talked to the man for a few minutes, discovered there was a temple on the other side of town, then left.

The front door of the small house held a crudely made sign, which read "UNUZEL ITEMS 4 SALE." James knocked and waited for someone to answer the door.

A tall, shadowy man appeared and ushered them into the house. "You come to buy something, yes?" he asked through crooked yellow teeth.

"I guess that depends on what you're selling, friend," James replied. They followed the man to a large wooden table. It was covered with about a dozen items, mostly junk, but one caught James's eye. "Tell me about this piece. Where did you get this?" he asked, picking up a broken medallion that looked as though it had been stepped on more than once.

The man eyed them nervously. "I found it around here somewhere. Would you like to buy it?" He made a halfhearted sales pitch, then seemed almost relieved when his offer was rejected and he was told they had to leave.

Turning to Owyn, James said, "Did you notice the Nighthawk emblem on that medallion? I would say there definitely are -- or were -- Nighthawks in this area."

The house was obviously deserted. Still, James thought it would be a good idea to knock. No sooner had his knuckles touched wood than the door swung open freely. He blinked several times as his eyes adjusted to the murky darkness. "Doesn't seem to be anything h--"

Suddenly, a scrawny ball of fur exploded out of the house, raking Gorath painfully across the face.

"Damnation!" James cried. "Cat must've been trapped in there for days!" He caught his breath, then went over to check on Gorath's injury.

James could smell alcohol.

Pushing the door of the shop open, he was met by a sharp faced fellow who was carrying a wooden keg. Quickly dumping it with a pile of other casks, he wiped his hands off on a towel, then extended his hand.

"Harlan," he said. "I'm the brewmaster around here when I'm not hauling things about."

"And where exactly is here?" James replied.

"This is the Upturned Keg. We're the best brewery this side of the Romney. Would you care to sample some of our stock? We make a dandy apple wine," the proprietor said. "I can have some decanted for you."

Refusing as politely as he knew how, Locklear shook his head. "We have to keep our heads about us," he said. We've a long road ahead and there's been some trouble around, or so I hear. We'll leave you to get back to your business."

Now, if you can loving believe it, this cat actually does damage! Rather a lot of it, in fact! A whole fifteen points of it, which, in the early game, is only slightly less than eating a nice whack from a moredhel sword. Either this game's enemies are giving us light, gentle taps with their weapons or Midkemia's cats are more like loving cougars.

The Nighthawk amulet thing just makes me think, again, of how loving incompetent the Nighthawks are. Just the most incompetent squad of wannabe-murderers in existence.

Also, something worth noting is that the reason some of the game's characterization might occasionally seem a bit sloppy is that most dialogues that can feature James, will feature Locklear instead if you come here in the first chapter and it's the same dialogue in the first chapter, and vice versa if we hauled James up north to Yabon and LaMut. Others are triggered by whoever has the highest skill value in something, so with a hex editor, we could ensure that it was Gorath rather than Owyn who crooned out bad songs at every inn across the Kingdom. I can absolutely understand why they did it this way, but it does hurt the character writing a bit when the party doesn't really have a consistent "protagonist."

The town also has a temple, but it's the only temple-type structure in the game that's "abandoned" and doesn't actually contain at least some temple services.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 26, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Update 17: BaK on Track, Part 2

Continuing towards Romney, there are no more battle encounters on the road, but there's an inn and an odd side passage to a small house...

I remember always thinking there must've been something up with this house, but as far as I can tell, there's no special trigger at any point that allows you to learn more about it. It's just a weird thing, but if you look behind it...

EGGS

In addition to another tier 3 Blessed Rapier, this chest also contain a Fetters of Rime scroll, which is... now that I think about it, probably the only spell that uses Accuracy: Casting to throw a projectile which can miss, alongside Flamecast. It functions like an ice version of Flamecast, doing somewhat less damage, and having no explosion, but having a paralysis effect if it lands. With one exception, it has less enemy types it can affect than Grief of 1000 Nights, but it has a few enemy types that it deals 1.5x or even 2x damage to.

We could just take this side path, cross the river and reach Romney now, but...

But we're going to miss out on exclusive content if we do so.

Said exclusive chapter 2 content is well behind us by now, though, and the nearest teleporter temple is all the way back down at the Temple of Lims-Kragma near Malac's Cross. However, if we head north instead, there's another temple just past the town of Prank's Stone. It will, honestly, just be a short detour, unless it leads to another detour(what are the odds!), so let's get it underway.

The Prank's Stone area only features one optional fight at this point(three if you count digging up graves to piss off ghosts), but you can't cross this bridge to reach the town from the south without stumbling into another magical trap.

Simple, though, just march James forward so the fireball thrower disables the zappy rods, then walk on through.

On the north side await four rogues that I initially thought were bugged since I couldn't set up the party for an ambush on them, but then when I approached anyway...

BaK posted:

JAMES: Can we be of some assistance to you fellows? You appear distressed...

MAN: Distressed? Oh aye, we are distressed in the extreme. There's that terrible mess down in Romney and we lot are heading down to lend a hand to the Riverpuller's Guild. What of you? You siding with Mitchel and that bloody Glazer's Guild?

[NO]

"Then you must support Ian?"

[NO]

"Men without commitments, eh? Well, better liars than one of the rabble running Romney at the moment. But I warn you, you best stay clear of all that mess!"

Which is the way to get through without a fight. If we had sided with either group...

BaK posted:

"Mitchel Waylander is a snake and Ian is just as unspeakable! The Riverpullers were granted an exclusive trade agreement by the crown itself and the both of them have called in their own men. Now their fighting brings other guilds in, guilds that undercut our business! How dare you side with them!"

And then you get dropped into a fight with three normal rogues and a rogue archer. Considering that they aren't carrying anything particularly useful and they only want to kick our asses if we're part of a guild war loving their region up, I opt to let them live and move on to Prank's Stone itself, a town that's easily forgotten but has just about as much dialogue from the locals as Sloop(even the tavern features multiple bits of unique dialogue!), and also a real dick move.

BaK posted:

The man was in a talkative mood.

Taking drinks from an overly large cup of ale between tales about his mercenaries, he wandered eventually into a discourse about how much he hated the followers of the god Kahooli.

"Why do you dislike them so much?" James asked.

Raising a single eyebrow at that, the man shook his head. "Those drat Kahooli priests in the temple up at Kenting Rush aren't natural I tell you. What pleasures a man's got, they want him to give up. All tied up in those damnable codes of piety. What in Tith's name does the mortification of the flesh mean anyway but some sorry sod's got to starve himself down to tooth and bone, and give up wenching and drinking? Not natural at all if you ask me..."

The woman stared at James.

Unnerved by the intensity of the woman's gaze, he sought someone else in the tavern to speak to, but when he turned again, he found she was still looking at him, her thin hands gripped tightly around a cloth wrapped bundle in her lap.

"Do I know you, miss?" James asked. "You seem troubled."

"This was to be given to you," she said, her voice breaking as she handed over the package. "I was instructed to bring it to you here."

"Instructed?" James unwrapped the bundle and discovered that a single torch was within. Baffled by the strange present, he peered hard at her, but she had pointed her gaze at the floorboards beneath her feet. Lifting her chin delicately, he saw that someone had struck her across the face. "Who did this to you and why?

"I do not know," she replied, her voice small in the clatter of pans and pots which came from the kitchen. "All I know is that I was to bring this to this tavern and give it over to one who looked as you do."

Gorath was about to knock on the door when he heard the shrill voice of a woman calling for help.

"No one can help you now! Ha ha ha ha!" boomed a raucous male voice. "The Goddess of death will --"

Before another word could be uttered, Gorath took several steps back and charged at the door, hitting it with his shoulder. The door gave way with a splintering "crack!" The force of the impact caused him to lose his balance, but he quickly regained it, drawing his sword as he quickly surveyed the room.

He found himself eye to eye with a half dressed man wearing a wig. There was no one else in the room.

"What did you do with her?" Gorath demanded.

The man sputtered a reply, still trying to catch his breath. "Wha-- who-- I-- what did I do with WHOM?"

"The woman. We heard a woman yelling for help. What did you do with her?" Gorath repeated, more with bewilderment than anger this time.

"I haven't done anything with anyone! I'm an actor. I was just preparing for a play I will be performing tonight at The Flying Sow."

Gorath swallowed hard. "A play?" he asked, weakly. "We thought...I mean I thought... Uh, sorry about the door! I'll give you 25 sovereigns, or whatever we have left. That should cover it." The man was still shaking his head when they left.

A balding man with an intense gaze answered James's knock.

"Are you looking to stay in Prank's Stone for awhile?" he wondered. "Do I have a house for you -- only 30 sovereigns a month!"

"Sorry, we were just passing through. What can you tell us of the people who live in your houses?" James asked.

"Got a guy who claims he's an actor living in one, and my other place is ABOUT to become unoccupied. That no good dragon lover has cheated me out of my money for the last time! Good day!" The subject obviously angered him, because he put an end to the conversation by slamming the door.

A smiling man answered the door.

"Come in, come in!" he said with a large grin. "Have I got something to show you!"

Curious, James followed the man into the house. He lead them to a table upon which there was a bulky object of some kind covered with a cloth. With great flourish the man pulled away the cloth revealing a strange metal machine with a funnel at the top and a wooden crank on one side.

"What is it?" asked Owyn.

"It's a gem converter. Currently it will only convert rubies into emeralds, but I'm working on a formula to convert rubies into diamonds. Say! Perhaps you could help me test it? Would you like to give it a try?"

So, most of this is just flavour text(and a chance to lose a bit of gold), but there's the rubies-to-diamonds guy. On the surface, this is a good move, as BaK diamonds are super rare but also the most valuable gems in the game. However, no matter what type of ruby you "feed" him, it always comes out as a 2% Diamond(which is about equal to an 8% Ruby in value). So, to make a profit here, you would need a steady supply of worthless rubies... The trick in this case is that anything you sell to a store can be bought back any number of times. Thus, you take Makala's 1% Ruby from the Chapter 1 quest, sell it to a store(ideally one with the worst possible prices, so you can buy it back very cheaply), convert those 1% rubies to 2% diamonds, and sell them at a profit. Completely empty inventories and seed money of "only" 500 gold can make you a profit of about 600 gold without even leaving Prank's Stone(in version 1.01 the Prank's Stone store had higher prices so it was a profit of 2500 gold per "full" run. Madness.).

A similar trick, albeit one with a longer setup time but faster payoff once you do it, is to get a high-value crossbow, ideally an elven crossbow, break it completely by repeated combat use(paralyzing enemies, say, and firing bolts at them over and over. I think it takes upwards of 50+ shots to do, however), then selling the resulting 0% crossbow. Now you can buy any number of worthless 0% crossbows, repair them with crossbow strings instantly to 100%, and re-sell them at full price. It's really only something you would do if you want to suit up everyone with Dragon Plate armor and Greatswords in chapter 1 to really break the game over your knee.

Of course, once you're doing stuff like this, you might as well just fire up a hex editor and set your money to an arbitrarily high number, since only your patience and the eventual collapse of the game's code under arbitrarily large integers set the limits.

Anyway, what I've yet to talk about, is how Prank's Stone has a dick move. There's a small path behind it leading to an anonymous-looking stone that you can choose to interact with. Don't do this. In version 1.01 it deletes 100 gold and ALL non-unique keys from the party's inventory. In version 1.02 it mercifully leaves your money alone, but still deletes all non-unique keys. I seem to remember a rumour at some point that anything you lost to the stone would be placed in an in-world container that you could later reclaim, but that doesn't seem to be true.

That's a lot of text for a town that doesn't even appear in the book! And all we're doing is trying to get to a temple on the far side...

Of course, we can't go five steps without someone littering loving moredhel chests all over the drat place, goddamn.

SILENCE

WRONG

:v:

The main score from these two chests is a near-full bundle of Elven Quarrels, which have the second-best to-hit bonus of all quarrels, Flaming Quarrels do more damage but are considerably less accurate, and only Enchanted Quarrels are better in both damage and to-hit bonuses.

Practically right opposite the code chests, on the other side of the road, there's a trapped chest which absolutely does not gently caress around. At 150 damage if you trigger it, it may be the most volatile chest in the game and absolutely capable of blasting an entire chapter 1 party to cinders if they came down from the northern route(for context, in chapters 1 through 3, Gorath is the character that starts out the sturdiest with a 125 total Health/Stamina pool). It has low lockpicking requirements, James can always handle it, but if you don't have Scent of Sarig active, or if you come here with a Locklear lacking any lockpicking training and an amulet of the Upright Man, it can very possibly still blow up in your face.

It's worth cracking open, though, because it contains a ruby and an emerald, which are by themselves quite a nice haul! The ruby gets sold immediately but the emerald... well, it would be nice to own Ivan Skald, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, if we go challenge him now, he'll just laugh at us and take our emerald after beating James like a small child. So we're gonna need some sort of leg up on him... Seems completely impossible we'd get our hands on that, though. Completely implausible.

Finally we're getting to the temple I wanted to get to, to teleport us down to the Temple of Sung near Sarth. Those rogues out front are, like the ones south of Prank's Stone, not actually a real encounter, instead as we get closer...

BaK posted:

They were stopped by two men.

"You will go no further," one of the men commanded. "Before any shall enter the temple of Banath they must strip off all metals."

James scowled, "Under whose authority do you make these demands? We are representatives of Prince Arutha and order you to let us pass."

The men seemed a bit taken aback by this news, but as they departed they continued to speak of their levy. "Metal is base and offensive to our god. He who enters this temple with metal on his person shall be struck dead..." From the other side of the temple, almost out of earshot, James heard, "...by the will of Banath!"

This, if you can believe it, isn't true. Isn't it mad that some folks outside the temple of the god of thieves would attempt to rob us for everything we're worth? Absolutely mental.

:v:

Inside, let's have a talk with the local head priest before we take our trip to the west.

BaK posted:

The hour was sounded.

Clapping his hands over his ears, James looked resentfully up at the brass bells as they passed underneath them, mourning the fact that he hadn't a bit of beeswax to block out the clanging noise. If the priest leading them took any notice, he made no sign.

The Lector of the Temple of Banath greeted them at the door to his study, a greying man with rounded features who patted each on the back as they passed inside to his study.

"How may the Servants of Banath be of service?" he asked.

"I'm not certain," James said, taking a seat by the window. "We have a difficult journey ahead and I was hoping that perhaps your god might have some insight into our predicament."

The priest motioned for him to continue. Quickly James related most of their tale, with Gorath breaking in occasionally to correct certain inaccuracies.

When the tale was, at last, finished the lector was squinting at them. "I am not sure of how we could be of assistance to you," he said. "It is the place of the temple to give aid when possible, but it seems as if many of the things you are having difficulty with you have brought on yourselves or are matters that are beyond the reach of what I may do for you. I am sorry."

The divine wisdom of Banath is apparently "stop loving up and you won't be in so much trouble, you morons." :v:

In any case, we're here to make fun of Brother Marc some more.

[MAGIC]

Actually, I was hoping you might be able to dig up something on magic, a scroll perhaps.

There was a scroll I was cataloging the other day that might be of interest to you. It was titled as Skyfire I believe. I can go and dig it up for you, for a reasonable finder's fee of 100 sovereigns. Shall I run and find it?

We already have Skyfire for free, but once again we can earn a small profit by turning around and selling the scroll to the store inside Sarth. Only about 50 gold or so, but still, the principle of the matter.

[NIGHTHAWKS]

Would you have anything up in the Abbey about the Guild of Death? As I recall from when I visited your abbey years ago, your collection of books was quite extensive. I wanted to find out how it is that some of them become Black Slayers.

No need to search the vaults. Many of them worship Kahooli, who, occasionally, will grant them a near-deathless state in exchange for total dedication to the god of revenge. It took us a long while to learn the spells that keep a Nighthawk from rising from death.

There is a spell? We thought you had to hack the body up and burn it to bits.

An unpleasant solution, and time consuming. After the Great Rising was over and the moredhel went home, we were able to work with the priests of Lims-Kragma to create a spell to keep a Nighthawk from becoming a Black Slayer or to keep a Black Slayer down once he was slain. If you would like, I can probably dig the spell up in the Vaults. Are you interested? There will be a hundred sovereign fee.

Wrong, wrong, WRONG! This is just so insanely not in line with the lore! Did Feist even look this over? Holy poo poo. Just... the wrongness of this bit of lore astounds me. The temple of Kahooli doesn't use the Nighthawks, the temple of Lims-Kragma no longer uses assassins and the temple of Guis-Wa, though we know little about them, apparently use their own religious blood hunters for their killings. Secondly, becoming a Black Slayer isn't a near-deathless state or anything caused just by religious fanaticism. It's literally a power granted to the Black Slayers by way of the False Murmandamus, who was getting his(its?) power from the Enemy, the combined souls of all the banished Valheru! It completely cores them out and replaces every part of them with the Enemy's power, when need be, turning them into nigh-indestructible puppets until their hearts are removed and burned or divine magic cuts the Enemy's line of control. Hell, the original Black Slayers weren't even Nighthawks, they were Moredhel, who don't even worship the human gods!

I mean, ahem, [YES], Marc, we would like the spell.

Considering I may be running into the Guild of Death soon, I think it would be a wise investment.

I will be as quick as possible. Please wait here.

Final Rest is a somewhat useful spell, since, as mentioned, it takes out downed Nighthawks/Black Slayers(spoilers, they are in this game and this is why we're getting a spell to deal with them) if you hit them with it before they get up again. We're not quite done with Marc yet, though...

[ABBAR'S TURN]

I don't suppose among those masses of books you have in the Abbey you would have one on chess, would you? I'm looking for information on a chess move called Abbar's Turn.

No self-respecting Keshian library would be without one and as the Abbey was founded by Keshian wanderers...

...it stands to reason you have something. Wonderful. If you could dig something up for us, I would be very happy to pay a finders' fee for anything you can find on chess moves.

It's a fairly special request so I may have spend a while digging and I do have another project I need to handle this evening. Would you be willing to pay a hundred sovereigns?

[YES]

Hmm, well. I think in this case it might be worth the expense.

I will see to it your money is well spent. If you will wait here, I will return as soon as I have found something of interest...

BaK posted:

The priest returned several hours later.

"So, what did you discover?" James asked, his mood improving with Brother Marc's reappearance. "Anything we can use?"

Marc frowned and burrowed in the folds of his robe. "I found that there appears to be no difference between lin-lan, pashawa, cock-fighting, daerts, pokiir, King's Mountain, dice, shomshone, Four-Hands Down, and chess as far as our cataloging system is concerned. They are all still considered just games at this point."

James shrugged. "Oh well, nice try. I just wish we hadn't wasted our time."

Brother Marc pulled a scroll out of his left sleeve and laid it in James's lap. "It was no waste of time, you haven't seen this particular scroll."

"Pardon?" James blinked at the parchment, then at the priest. "What do you mean?"

"What I mean is that the scroll in your lap is known as the Saaha Bela'hi, the Victor's Soul. It is perhaps the rarest and most valuable writing on the subject of chess ever put to paper. Unfortunately, it is also exceedingly rare. I get chills just thinking what we had to do to get it. This is our only translation available and it was the only work I could find with reference to Abbar's Turn. Read it and quickly, before Brother Anthony finds I've taken it."

James smiled and unrolled the scroll, studying all the details of the move carefully. Once he had absorbed the material, he produced the gold he owed Brother Marc.

"I promise I won't forget your efforts, brother."

The priest nodded, then snatched up the scroll.

"Let's just hope Brother Anthony can."

That was a lot of text! Still, now we can cheat Ivan out of an emerald. That owns. Let's skip ahead to Malac's Cross since nothing interesting happens during the trip there(also I just teleported there from the Temple of Sung. The pro move, income-wise, would have been to walk the entire way, but we're rich and this is more about making a point than making a profit).

[CHALLENGE]

Any chance I can interest you in a game of chess?

I'm not so sure you would want to play against me. I just learned a few new moves from a book I borrowed from the Abbaye...

Tell me the stakes, then I'll tell you whether I'm interested or not.

Emeralds. Think you're up to it?

[YES]

BaK posted:

The barkeep was oblivious.

While pounding James's leftward defensive positions, Ivan hadn't noticed the seigneur's subtle adjustments to his rightward formation of a pawn, a priest and his queen.

Ivan grinned as he tossed a pawn from the board. "Seems I'm inside your line. Ready to surrender yet?"

"Not exactly," James replied, sliding his hunter piece to the opposite side of the board. "Have you ever heard of Abbar's Turn?"

Abruptly the barkeep's face went pale as he studied the pieces. "You couldn't. You did." For the next three moves he made feeble attempts to regain the strength of his position but at last gave it up as vain hope. "I surrender."

Locklear can also come here in Chapter 1 and steal Ivan's lunch, though he needs to learn a special move somewhere other than Brother Marc... we'll get to that part in an update or two. What I'm not sure about is whether its possible to both abuse Ivan with Locklear and then again in chapter 2 or 3 with James. Anyway, the reward is a 100% emerald, which is quite the score! If you track down the best possible shop for the sale, it's worth 1080 gold(though it requires waiting until chapter 3 to sell), which means that if you did the entire thing on foot, ignoring the prices of rations and other supplies, you'd be making a profit of almost 1000 gold after paying Marc for the scroll.

Probably about the single biggest profit you can make in the game so early without abusing anything. The main trick is finding a spare emerald, since there are only 29 of them littered about in the gameworld, without some sort of guide you'd be lucky to find one of them before it's relevant.

This clears up our distraction quota for the update, though, and we can fast-forward back to Romney to actually progress the plot.

Yes. Why is a guild in charge of the city?

The constabulary were all killed in the uprising by the Riverpullers Guild and no one else in any authority was left alive to administrate. When I was approached to take command, I decided that I would use my men in the Guild to help maintain order until such a time the Duke was able to arrive from his estates.

Makes some sort of sense. Where can we find the King's men from Bas-Tyra?

They'll be holding up in the Black Sheep Tavern for a celebration of some kind. I believe I heard one of them say they've found something they were looking for. I'm not sure what it's all about.

I think that may mean good news for us as well. Good night, reeve. We're on into Romney...

Obviously, things go somewhat differently if we hadn't already looted the seals from Max Feeber's barn. In that case...

BaK posted:

The way ahead was blocked.

From among the men who were guarding the bridge, a man stepped forward to confront them.

MITCHEL: Do you have a Glazer's Guild Seal? I'll have to see one before I can let you across the bridge.

We're trying to prevent a full scale guild war here and we have to make sure that no unfavorables show up. It's just a formality until we can get things settled down here again.

JAMES: Guild war? What do you mean?

MITCHEL: There was an uprising here. Lasted for several months. The Riverpuller's Guild took charge of the other labor guilds and surrounded Romney. The crafts guilds tried to fight their way out and it seemed a losing battle until the King's men came up from Bas-Tyra. They managed to pacify the Riverpullers' leader. The Duke of Romney's kept it from getting worse, but I can't guarantee how much longer he'll be able. It will probably be a while though before we open up the roads to the general populace.

JAMES: Can the townspeople come and go at will?

MITCHEL: We've restricted visitors from the outside, not imprisoned the citizens. Any townsperson can come and go at their leisure.

JAMES: I assume the same may be said of your guests? May the men of the King's company come out and play? We have business with them.

MITCHEL: I would be happy to help you but I'm not entirely certain I would know how to contact them. They are hard to get into one place and I'm not sure that I've met their leader. They are a rather untrusting pack of men.

JAMES: They would have to be. When you're tracking assassins, you have to be craftier and a little less moral than your prey... So, where would I go to get one of these seals?

MITCHEL: It's not that easy. There's a group near Silden that have been petitioning for membership for some time now. But they're an unruly bunch and can't find anyone to sponsor them.

JAMES: But if I present a seal you will step aside with no questions asked?

MITCHEL: Well, not with no questions asked, but it would show that someone from the guild was vouching for you.

JAMES: Enough, reeve. We will come back. In the interim, please deliver a message to the King's men from Bas-Tyra that three men will be here soon to visit with them concerning a nocturnal bird that kills at night. They will understand what the message means.

One thing that I find funny is that Mitchell never goes: "Hang on, you've got a seal so you're one of us, why don't you know what's going on?" And gets suspicious, only really caring about the seal being possessed or not.

The other thing is that obviously this isn't how it goes in the book. In the book, James and the rest of the gang troop up, find the bridge blocked by tradesmen, and beat up the leader and are about to threaten the rest with royal authority to get across, when the troops from Bas-Tyra show up to help reinforce order. It's not that the local guards have all been killed, but simply that they, being locals, are embroiled in the factional fighting, so it takes an impartial core of fighting men to organize them without them taking sides.

We can also come here in chapter 1 where Mitchell will give you a haggling lesson, you can also get into Romney at this point still, as far as I can parse the guide, you don't even need a guild seal for it at this point. There's actually an absurd amount of text for it, considering how unlikely most players are to ever see it.

BaK posted:

The way ahead was blocked.

From among the men who were guarding the bridge, a man stepped forward to confront them.

MITCHEL: I wouldn't advise venturing any closer to Romney. She' s a city besieged.

LOCKLEAR: What's happened here?

MITCHEL: Guild war, uprising, chaos, the whole of Romney's lost its senses. I'm surprised you haven't heard, but then again, a child scraping his knee in Romney seems more important here than does a coronation in Rillanon. It all started when the Guild of the Riverpullers was pushed out of Silden by a splinter guild, the Guild of the Romney. When the Riverpullers tried to recoup their losses by raising fees in Romney, the Glazer's and Dyer's Guilds refused to take the brunt and we contracted the splinter guild to bring in goods. Unfortunately the Riverpullers asserted they had royal grant of exclusivity to the river and burned two Romney Guild rafts. Three members of the Glazer's Guild were killed in the fire as was the chief reeve of the Dyer's Guild. We've been fighting for access to Romney ever since.

LOCKLEAR: Who seems to have the upper hand at the moment?

MITCHEL: Neither side. It's a stalemate with the labor guilds occupying the North bank of the Ursine Ford and the crafters on the South. I was trapped on this side before the Riverpullers ordered the blockade. Oh, and by the way, I'm Mitchel Waylander, Local Chief Reeve of the Glazer's Guild.

LOCKLEAR: Nice to meet you. What do you think it's going to take to bring this fight to an end?

MITCHEL: We've sat down to negotiate with them, but the Riverpullers' leader is a hard old crat and frankly, I don't think he wants to end it. They've laid claim to all the goods that weren't shipped as duty for breech of agreement. The local solicitor informed him that it went outside of Kingdom custom, but the Riverpullers asserted it was also part of their royal charter. We still don't even know if such a document exists...

LOCKLEAR: Is there any other way into Romney?

MITCHEL: There was a time when you could have hired someone to boat you in, but there's not a soul on the river who'd be fool enough to try to run the river blockade. River's nearly deserted because of it. Only people who are still around are the one's who can talk a blue streak.

LOCKLEAR: Really? And why is that?

MITCHEL: Unless you can haggle with the best of them, you'll not get even a fair price on any of the goods here on the river. Might as well try to buy King Lyam's crown as a packet of rations around here.

LOCKLEAR: Perhaps you could give us a few of the finer points of haggling since you're in the trade...

MITCHEL: Perhaps I could, but...I really have to get to some of my associates in Sloop. I stand to lose quite a bit of money the longer I wait.

LOCKLEAR: We might be prepared to renumerate you for lost time if you could help.

MITCHEL: Really? Well, I suppose I might be persuaded to give you a hand for oh, fifty sovereigns. That's my proposal. What do you say?

[YES]

LOCKLEAR: I say you're mad as old King Rodric, but I can't blame you for wanting to make an honest sovereign. You have your deal.
MITCHEL: First thing, don't cross your arms when you talk. I know as a noble you have been taught to look as imposing as possible, but that won't wash when you're trying to buy a bolt of cloth. Look vulnerable or at the very least unimposing. Once you're human, it's a lot easier to believe that you're in need of a break.

LOCKLEAR: Sounds reasonable. What else?

MITCHEL: Look a man in the eye when he's talking to you. It makes him believe that you share interests with him and will usually lull him into a charitable mood. He's much more malleable when he believes he's the authority on the matter.

LOCKLEAR: But what if he isn't?

MITCHEL: Lesson three, never interrupt the man whom you're trying to buy from. Lesson four, right and wrong lose their meaning in a bargaining atmosphere. It doesn't really matter if the sword that the shopkeeper presents to you isn't the finest blade in the land. You are either interested in the blade at the price he quotes or you aren't. Insulting the integrity of his good will only earn you his scorn. Disinterest will more often lead you to better bargains...

LOCKLEAR: Hmmm. A few things to think about and I daresay we may find uses for your wisdom elsewhere...

MITCHEL: My pleasure. I'd love to stay and chat some more, but I have finances to attend to. Farewell.

LOCKLEAR: Thank you, Mitchel. Farewell.

Seriously, tell me that's not a hell of a lot of work for an easily-missed side path.

In any case, let's walk into Romney and see if we can find some Clues.

Romney has no special attributes as such, at this time. It's got a shop, an inn and a single non-store location to interact with. There's nothing unusual about the store for now(though I do pop by to upgrade Gorath to Grey Tower Plate), so let's invite ourselves into the house.

BaK posted:

The meeting hall was full.

Assembled in the room were a dozen grizzled looking men, all seated around a long table at the head of which sat a young man sporting a goatee. As the entered, a servant quickly pointed them to a bench off to the side, indicating that a meeting of some import was underway.

"I don't care what Mitchel Waylander may or may not be doing," the bearded man said sternly." I am the Duke of Romney and you will do as I request, else I will call up others from Bas-Tyra. Do you really wish to call King Lyam's attention to this matter?"

Unsettled by the vigor with which the young Duke made his point, the various guild leaders shifted in their seats. One, a tremendously overweight man whose clothes tested their seams, leaned forward, careful not to spark too much of a response. "It is entirely possible that the leader of the Riverpullers was assassinated by the leader of one of the other guilds here. It's even possible he sits in this room with us..."

"If you have someone in mind, Botho, why don't you simply come out with a name!" another man replied, leaning across the table to grab the obese guild master's shirt. "Talk, you overweight cat's innard!"

"Enough!" Slamming down the tankard of ale which sat at his right hand, the Duke turned his piercing blue eyes on all who assembled. "I want peace on the Romney, and I wish it today! The fact that the Ironmonger's Guild will not come to a negotiations table is irrelevant. If I hear another word of a possible uprising in Romney, I swear to you, I shall make each and every one of you pay for it..."

Having heard enough of the heated words in the chamber, James turned and whispered to his companions. "If Arutha were here, he'd have this lot at the gibbet for even thinking of open rebellion..."

"The fact of the matter is that Prince Arutha is not here," the Duke replied tersely, evidently having overheard the whispering. "And I will not deal so cavalierly with those who are as much my family as my serfs."

Snapping his fingers, he motioned to a pair of guards who stood mute behind him. "Sergeant Yearly, see to it that these gentlemen are let out, seeing as how they yearn to get to a part of the world where Prince Arutha rules..."

The exact details of who's been killed yet also vary a bit from book to game, in the book it's "only" been a few apprentices and journeymen who've died so far, not any guild leaders or major factors.

Anyway, let's go to the inn and see what those cool cats form Bas-Tyra have found, maybe they've already solved the mystery for us!

:gonk:

Welcome to the chapter that confused everyone who tried to play this game as a kid because god, drat. I'll explain more in the next update, but for now, consider this: both the titular spyglass and the titular spider are completely irrelevant to the plot.

BaK posted:

The coppery smell of burning flesh filled the air.

Embers leapt from the funeral pyre into the growing dusk, joined the winking points of light that would later become a blaze of crystalline stars. Around the flames villagers gathered in dark clots, their faces overwritten with blank, unreadable expressions. Like moths to a candle they drifted near and mourned and thought and sniffed. They had come to watch the flames feed.

Gorath's fathomless green eyes nictitated in the firelight as he turned and gazed at Owyn who flinched uncomfortably at his side.

"There can be no uneasier sleep than a warrior murdered in his cups," Gorath said, his voice only slightly louder than the spitting hiss of scorched bone. "They nipped at the heels of the Nighthawks, be certain of that."

"So you think we're getting close?" Owyn asked.

Gorath began to speak, but his words congealed on his lips as his eyes locked with the burning gaze of Seigneur James.

The fire in the background there is "animated" at one whole frame per line of dialogue. :v:

The only explanation, Seigneur, is that you are mistaken. I have never been south of the Inclindel...

While we carried the dead from the Black Sheep Tavern, a tavern boy informed me that a man answering to your description called on three unwholesomes dressed in black, all of whom wore the trademark silver rings of the Nighthawks. He heard them refer to the moredhel as Gorath.

It seems that this moredhel paid a sizeable sum of money to those Nighthawks before departing, enough perhaps to arrange the death of a company of the King's soldiers?

He may well have paid a king's death, but I know nothing of it. I realize it may impress little upon you, but Gorath is a passing common name in the Northlands and oft as not your Kingdom fellow folk have mistaken me for an elf! The barkeeper was likely deceived by enemies of mine.

If I had cause to mislead you or your Prince, I would have found a far less convoluted means of confusing the royal sanity. Look elsewhere for your enemies, James. While we may not be friends, I mean you no harm.

I shall look where I wish until you are no longer my responsibility.

We may not be able to strike at the Nighthawk stronghold, but if we can locate it, we may still be able to get inside and find the information Prince Arutha needs.

The Nighthawks will shun Romney for a time. However bold they may be in their murderous nights, they flee when daylight breaks.

No one walks without leaving footprints and these men are no different. However skilled they may be at assassination, they have never been any good at covering their tracks. Let me see those things you found in the tavern.

They are here.

Good. Those are our footprints. Of all the items we found on the dead company, both those items seemed conspicuously out of place and may be related in some way to our elusive murderers.

We begin our hunt for the Nighthawks with a spider and a spyglass.

This whole thing also plays out somewhat differently in the book, but mostly only in that at no point here is there any attempt at casting any sort of doubt on Gorath's truthfulness. James still doesn't wholly "get" him, but they get along and have some degree of respect for each other except when Gorath comes out with some tone-deaf racist comment about what a shame it is that all humans are like roaches or other vermin.

In any case, next time, we're going to get distracted hugely as Chapter 3 has a whole new swathe of sidequests that opens up and is the first big map repopulation in terms of combat encounters. Also we might accidentally solve some mystery or another. Possibly.

Bonus Update 17.5: The Spellbook

BLACK NIMBUS
Rating: 1/5
Black Nimbus is the spell that lets you shortcircuit magic traps you can't figure out. Since almost all of them are trivially simple to puzzle out, this spell gets extremely little screentime.

CANDLE GLOW
Rating: 3/5
A replacement for using torches indoors. Decently worthwhile since it frees up more spell for ammo and drugs.

DANNON'S DELUSIONS
Rating: 2/5
It's like River Song except the distractions it creates can't also shoot at people. Funny if you want to cover the entire battlefield in Owyns, though.

DESPAIR THY EYES
Rating: 4/5
Extremely cheap, easily accessible, works on almost any enemy and knocks them out of the fight for two rounds. The only downsides is that it can't be charged to knock them out for longer and there's no visual indicator of when they return to the fray.

DRAGON'S BREATH
If you REALLY want to make sure you miss as many combat encounters as possible, cast this. Generally you want to run into fights, though. But it can be have a fringe use or two if you manage to paint yourself into a corner that you have to fight your way out of.

EYES OF ISHAP
This would be a 5/5 spell because some containers are rather well-hidden but... well... you know the Spyglass? That you get at the start of chapter 3? It casts Eyes of Ishap for free. Any time. Any where.

FETTERS OF RIME
Damage AND paralyzing enemies? The only thing that leaves it short of a 5/5 is that it can miss and potentially hit your own idiots if they're too close to the target.

FINAL REST
When killed, Black Slayers and Nighthawks with the potential to rise again as Black Slayers are down for 8 rounds before they get up again. Most battles barely last ten rounds total, so you generally have plenty of time to just take them all out and then let the party burn the corpses off-stage.

FLAMECAST
It hits things that Skyfire won't, but it also has the potential for just plain missing targets and it's bad after, say, round two of any fight where the splash is almost certain to hit your own guys.

GAMBIT OF THE EIGHT
Highest damage potential in the game, but since no battle maps have any choke points, it requires messing about with subsequential casts of Invitation and the like, or a lot of luck, to actually get an enemy that walks into it.

GIFT OF SUNG
An in-battle heal requires either casting this spell or sacrificing the character's turn to drink Restoratives. Both cost a turn, but this one doesn't actually restore any health, it just transfers it, and the turn it loses is your spellcaster's, your spellcaster who could be casting River Song or Skyfire or any number of spells that kill or distract enemies.

GRIEF OF 1000 NIGHTS
Rating: 5/5
It's practically an instant kill. It works on almost anything and can take them out of the fight for over 30 rounds, has no chance of missing, etc. it just rules. Top-tier combat spell.

HOCHO'S HAVEN
Ablative HP is sometimes useful. But usually not as useful as just casting an attack spell.

INVITATION
It has a couple of fringe uses where it's really good(like that one trap where you can haul a Moredhel caster right into lightning land), but in a game without more "environmental" traps and effects, it's not that great.

MIND MELT
Rating: ?/5
Sir Not Appearing In This Version. Otherwise it's a very cost-effective way to destroy goblins because they take a ton more damage than anyone else, and in general it's just a slightly better version of Skyfire because it does slightly more damage and can hit a lot more things(literally only two enemies in the entire game are immune to it).

MIRRORWALL
Another way to waste your time setting up a projectile-reflecting wall rather than just hitting the caster/shooter with Grief or spawning a Rusalki next to him.

NACRE CICATRIX
Detects magical items, but since all items are in containers, and Eyes of Ishap already detects all items... useless.

NIGHTFINGERS
Rating: -5/5
Lets you waste an inventory slot to carry an item that lets your caster magically loot an item from an enemy mid-battle that you will get anyway post-battle. There are a very few exceptions, like there are a few enemies with disappearing corpses that technically contain items you could steal this way, but as far as I'm aware they're all stuff like a bit of spare change or a single use of a consumable, not diamonds or other gemstones that would in some way make it worth it. Just bring more drugs.

RIVER SONG
Absolutely kickass spell. Rusalkis can interrupt enemy casters/shooters, provide fire support, attract enemy fire. They're gorgeous, GORGEOUS. One of the best spells in the game.

SCENT OF SARIG
Since it lets you loot some very good chests without getting everyone's faces exploded off, this gets a 5/5 from me.

SKIN OF THE DRAGON
I don't tend to use it much, but it makes the target invincible for up to 20 turns. Technically I guess it's better than, say, River Song, but I tend to prefer the offensive approach over the defensive approach. Getting enemies whittled down and distracted fast tends to be more important.

SKYFIRE
Deals heavy, consistent damage and never misses, but unfortunately in some parts of the game there are a lot of enemies around(like trolls and animals), that it can't target. It looks super cool when you're 12, though, and since it can't miss I prefer it over Flamecast.

STARDUSK
Outdoors version of Candle Glow, but outdoors you can just take a nap and it turns to day anyway, plus it's never dark enough that you might miss stuff like it can be in dungeons.

STEELFIRE
Provides a +50% damage boost to the melee attacker of choice for the rest of the battle. In some cases it can make a big difference, especially against very hardy enemies like the Shades, but once you have spells like Grief and River Song, it starts to be hard to justify casting it.

THE UNSEEN
Detects containers that contain food. See my feelings on Nacre Cicatrix above.

THOUGHTS LIKE CLOUDS
Prevents a target spellcaster from casting spells but not from doing anything else. It would be a decent spell except that there's only one type of spellcaster in the game it works on that Grief doesn't, and even then I'd rather just drop a Rusalki next to them to panic them.

WINDS OF EORTIS
Slightly more useful than Invitation since it can be used to buy your mage some breathing room, but it would still be a much better spell in a game with more environmental stuff, like the Divinity games or some such.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 26, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

Impossible. A Webber lock cannot be picked.

Perhaps not by you, but one skilled in the arts of subtlety, he may know how to penetrate even the most difficult of locks. It is a matter of patience.

"This is the Lockpicking Lawyer, and what I have for you today is a Webber lock..."

This line never sat right with me. I don't know why James of all people would be so quick to claim a lock is unpickable, considering his prior profession. Even if he wasn't Ace Lockpicker, other Mockers would be, so he'd know unpickable is bullshit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ah, the Spider and the Spyglass. Two great tastes that taste great together.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Interestingly, that's not the case here. Enemies suffer from the same health-based stat penalties that your characters do - an enemy with low health is basically useless (and might already be actively fleeing). In fact, there's even a legitimate strategy where you leave the last enemy alive at a sliver of health so you can spam the 'rest' button to recover some health.

You are correct in this case - I had forgotten about that entirely - but by and large this is true. Mind you, that's not praise... I very much wish that more games allowed for debuffs, DoTs etc

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PurpleXVI posted:

Once the lines are on, it makes a bit more sense, and looks unbeatable if you haven't realized you can do diagonal movement. But there's a neat path in between that you can just slip your right-most party member through easily.
Is there some reason you can't just go right, up, up, left, straight up to the exit?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Yep - this is as far as I was able to get as a kid, but was never able to figure out what to do from here. Looking forward to seeing how this chapter was actually supposed to be solved!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

This is now further than I ever got in the game. I always got distracted sidequesting, and wasn't too good at the combat so would get stuck and frustrated.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Is there some reason you can't just go right, up, up, left, straight up to the exit?

You know, it's possible, but the diagonal pathing worked for me, and I'm not taking any chances with those drat zappy rods. :v:

idhrendur posted:

This is now further than I ever got in the game. I always got distracted sidequesting, and wasn't too good at the combat so would get stuck and frustrated.

Oh, yes, I want to note that aside from a couple of notable speedbumps, the party has breezed through the combat relatively unscathed for now, but that's also because I've been making sure to have the money for all the trainers, been grabbing every available boost and gotten ahead of the gear curve early.

Like 75% of Owyn's spellbook, including perennial favourite River Song, is from detours, too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The chapter title was clearly chosen as a clever alliteration that sounds good but says bugger all about the actual game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

CANDLE GLOW
A replacement for using torches indoors. Decently worthwhile since it frees up more spell for ammo and drugs.
Also good for the few places where you can't light torches.

quote:

DRAGON'S BREATH
If you REALLY want to make sure you miss as many combat encounters as possible, cast this. Generally you want to run into fights, though. But it can be have a fringe use or two if you manage to paint yourself into a corner that you have to fight your way out of.
I was under the impression that this spell increased your stealth, allowing you to ambush enemies more easily?

quote:

EYES OF ISHAP
This would be a 5/5 spell because some containers are rather well-hidden but... well... you know the Spyglass? That you get at the start of chapter 3? It casts Eyes of Ishap for free. Any time. Any where.
Ah, but not everyone gets access to it all the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

PurpleXVI posted:

Still, the battle goes pretty easily

:gibs:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It'll buff out!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

This is a weird section of the game. Its got 100% the best money making method for as long as you want to take doing it, just don't progress the main quest. Its also where if you've played before you have to start deciding if you're going to leave care packages for your party in upcoming chapters, especially important if you've already looted every single chest in the kingdom. I'm sure Purple's going to show off the former, the latter part is honestly a lot of backtracking and stuffing things in chests/selling them to shops to make them availible.

I *knew* purple had wrong opinions on skin of the dragon. What he's not saying is that a 5pt cast makes the target immune to all damage for a really long time, it'll cover all but the longest fights. Start every fight casting it on Owyn then do whatever. Hell you could even send him into the center of the fight and let the enemy gang up on him, it functionally takes those enemies out of the equation since they're going to stand in place and not do damage, which is the same thing fetters of rime etc would do except its cheaper and can't miss.

I tease about the wrong opinions, Purple's doing great, I'm just a SotD fangirl

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
One would think that a spell called 'Dragon's Breath' would involve fire in some form, but what do I know?

Purple, is there a comprehensive list of word chests for this game somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

sort of, you have to download the old help web, I'm sure there's other sites, but this is the good one
https://vga256.com/krondor/krondor.html?_sm_nck=1