Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

"China has done a thing that the USA/USSR did in 1977, and this is a technological marvel/hyper-aggresive turbo-escalatiom because..." is my favorite genre of China article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Judakel posted:

spacex is headed up by a meth addict

that's government baby!!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pyrus Malus posted:

that's government baby!!
Gobbling amphetamines while you wrench on a rocket full of giga-poison is what founded human space flight.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

Missile defense systems are inherently aggressive in a MAD scenario, since missile defense cannot possibly stop a first strike, but they might be able to stop a weakened second strike. The Chinese building systems to defeat missile defense is a defensive move to maintain a nuclear deterrent. Crazy weapons delivery systems are meant to keep MAD functioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLbh7T1mPZ4

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mr Hootington posted:

On the other hand I have an article here that says the Chinese minds never conceived of Chinese chess so this strategy is beyond them. I'm a very serious person who is smart.

westerners think they can block 車 attack but did they even consider how to block 炮? checkmate

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

On the other hand I have an article here that says the Chinese minds never conceived of Chinese chess so this strategy is beyond them. I'm a very serious person who is smart.

While Biden is playing checkers, Xi is playing Chinese checkers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/EnesKanter/status/1450869180283203589?t=sjbQCKcO4RMopCoWY1oEtQ&s=19

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Nice to see the 2020's redoing 90s politics trends as well as fashion.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

This would've been really goddamn useful in DEFCON

that game doesn't even model a globe correctly. no way they put in the long way around nukes.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Free Tibet? I’ll take two :smuggo:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

So the ROK's political system is what americans pretend they have? Somewhat more meaningful flavor differences between largely neoliberal parties?

time was id say that look at least the liberals arent run by a cult leader but as noted a few pages ago the insane right wing splinter party that believes park geun hye did no wrong is also the one openly advocating for universal basic income and probably a lot more sincerely than lee jae myeong whose pretensions toward wanting to do the exact same policy dont actually appear to be believed by anyone outside of liberal homers

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1450998176161349635

thread title plz

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/EnesKanter/status/1450869180283203589

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

are we doing free tibet again now

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I’m surprised Tibet is still on the table it seemed to have died down as an issue

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Covid deaths:
Free USA = 750K+
Oppressed Tibetans = ?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m surprised Tibet is still on the table it seemed to have died down as an issue

it's something everybody's heard about china at some point in their lives, so with the PRC as The Enemy it's making a comeback for reasons grounded in pretty much nothing but spite

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Did Gulen run any of the private tutors that China cracked down on

His people are deep in charter schools in the US

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Did Gulen run any of the private tutors that China cracked down on

His people are deep in charter schools in the US

i...don't think so. these were mostly homegrown businesses that probably spread like wildfire into chains like kumon in the US

lol that this genre of education has a wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storefront_school

edit oh my god kumon is based on rote memorization for math? what the gently caress? i was let go from a school in nigeria because i brought in random drills and varied practices over chanting times tables and i'm still so mad about it

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Oct 21, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Kumon, man!"

:dementia:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

30.5 Days posted:

The idea of a first strike is shooting them with nukes and they can't hit you with nukes. That could come from just going hog wild with nukes on their nuke throwing stuff, or it could come from missile defense that can stop their nukes from hitting you. Making sure US missile defense doesn't work is part of deterring a US first strike.
Are you talking about like Star Wars poo poo? Am I way behind on all this stuff? When you say "missile defense" I'm basically thinking of e.g. early warning systems and so on, and assuming that the SDI-like tech is largely nonexistent or a boondoggle. These new missiles are better at evading whatever we have, but it's not like we were going to shoot down 100% of what they had before, anyway.

If they were serious about deterring a first strike from the US (and they should be, IMO) then I would expect more development of nuclear-equipped submarines. As it stands I'm not sure what to make of this tech or what strategic purpose it's supposed to serve :shrug:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

tractor fanatic posted:

Missile defense systems are inherently aggressive in a MAD scenario, since missile defense cannot possibly stop a first strike, but they might be able to stop a weakened second strike. The Chinese building systems to defeat missile defense is a defensive move to maintain a nuclear deterrent. Crazy weapons delivery systems are meant to keep MAD functioning.
Okay this makes a little more sense, although it seems my point about submarines stands.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
https://twitter.com/jasonjarmoosh/status/1451061998540578817?t=PaQmEZkSIbdEm3DQjiTCpQ&s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If they were serious about deterring a first strike from the US (and they should be, IMO) then I would expect more development of nuclear-equipped submarines. As it stands I'm not sure what to make of this tech or what strategic purpose it's supposed to serve :shrug:

tactically none, but strategically it encourages waste in our economy. that's very clear

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Kumon, man!"

:dementia:
Hahaha their logo :smith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it fits as a logo because their educational standards are dumb as poo poo, but :downs: maybe shouldn't exist as an SA emoji, i was in charge of the developmentally disabled department at my school and i've always felt it weird we keep this legacy thing around

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Lol CommieGIR in the d&d china thread has started probing anyone for defending "genocide" aka daring to question liberal sabre rattling propaganda.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Don't go to DnD what are you doing

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
gotta keep up with the latest wrong opinions

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
is AP a banned source for genocide denial? :roflolmao:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

time was id say that look at least the liberals arent run by a cult leader but as noted a few pages ago the insane right wing splinter party that believes park geun hye did no wrong is also the one openly advocating for universal basic income and probably a lot more sincerely than lee jae myeong whose pretensions toward wanting to do the exact same policy dont actually appear to be believed by anyone outside of liberal homers

drat, so there's a chance that koreans can get kooky lady cultbux?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

It does read as sarcasm, but its also a "Too soon" sort of thing.

holy poo poo lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lolll

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

i say swears online posted:

i...don't think so. these were mostly homegrown businesses that probably spread like wildfire into chains like kumon in the US

lol that this genre of education has a wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storefront_school

edit oh my god kumon is based on rote memorization for math? what the gently caress? i was let go from a school in nigeria because i brought in random drills and varied practices over chanting times tables and i'm still so mad about it

In Kumon you get a little book and you set a timer and do math problems, then you try to beat your record every day and do more faster.

I dunno it's not great but it's nothing horrible, and at least for doing basic math it helps. There's more to it than chanting times tables. I wouldn't put kids through it though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And now I've gotten the times tables tapes they made us listen to in primary school stuck in my head again.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

i say swears online posted:

holy poo poo lol

I know its a dead horse but ill never get over these sickos happily supporting criminals like Obama and Biden who murdered who knows how many in Yemen while being all high and mighty about China

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BrainDance posted:

In Kumon you get a little book and you set a timer and do math problems, then you try to beat your record every day and do more faster.

I dunno it's not great but it's nothing horrible, and at least for doing basic math it helps. There's more to it than chanting times tables. I wouldn't put kids through it though.

wait is it the same book or randomized? if the latter that's fine

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Lol CommieGIR in the d&d china thread has started probing anyone for defending "genocide" aka daring to question liberal sabre rattling propaganda.

"started"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i was actually kind of skeptical about the genocide claims until i saw this