Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hammerite posted:

chubby rain

gotcha, suckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nybble posted:

wait so they bought the physical album? what a bunch of suckers, it might get destroyed!!

don't worry
as long as they can mint an nft from it first, no intrinsic value will be lost

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
NosFeraTu

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ireneista/status/1450921061881729029

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1451029725149732864

another bitcoin success story

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

What does people "minting" their own NFT's even mean in this situation. The Authors will only accept medium posts linked via an on chain JSON?

I don't understand what these people think NFT's are, or what they think it enables.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beelzebufo posted:

What does people "minting" their own NFT's even mean in this situation. The Authors will only accept medium posts linked via an on chain JSON?

I don't understand what these people think NFT's are, or what they think it enables.

i'm pretty sure what it means in this situation is that they wanted to get free worldbuilding for their for-profit fantasy book series by holding a fanfiction contest and incorporating the best stories into the books' universe

making everyone mint NFTs for their stories was a scheme to justify paying the fanfic writers in exposure. they figured that if a fanfic got a lot of exposure, the accompanying NFT would become more valuable. and if the fanfic writer managed to sell it to NFT addicts for fat stacks then no one would complain about the authors benefiting from a bunch of free writing

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Main Paineframe posted:

i'm pretty sure what it means in this situation is that they wanted to get free worldbuilding for their for-profit fantasy book series by holding a fanfiction contest and incorporating the best stories into the books' universe

making everyone mint NFTs for their stories was a scheme to justify paying the fanfic writers in exposure. they figured that if a fanfic got a lot of exposure, the accompanying NFT would become more valuable. and if the fanfic writer managed to sell it to NFT addicts for fat stacks then no one would complain about the authors benefiting from a bunch of free writing

That analysis matched mine puff for puff after reading it. Surly it’s ok to plagiarize an internet nobody’s work if you can pay them chump change with other people’ cash. Coiiners don’t even realize the biggest scam artist is themselves because they’ve been ripped off so many times their ego simply can’t handle it anymore. Munchausen’s by blockchain.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

possibly real bitcoiner in gibbis?

Really the administrative fees is the real reason why studios are too overwhelmed to pay out profits to artists!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean that's not even an mlm thing that's an ancient tenet of scamming, get your sucker to think they're in on it

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

i mean that's not even an mlm thing that's an ancient tenet of scamming, get your sucker to think they're in on it

I cannot help but remember that many “genius” bitcoiners would get into an “honest Ponzi,” because they were all smart enough to outwit all those chump-tier bag holders after they would make millions at “Ellon Must’s” expense. He promised*!

*it was a Trojan installer from clicking on Elon’s phishing emails

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
https://worldcoin.org/

this is a thing

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Finally, a cryptocurrency for cosmopolitans

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This challenge is the longstanding problem of "unique-humanness": how can you prove you are you, without telling us anything about yourself?

To address it, we built a new device called the Orb.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Splicer posted:

This challenge is the longstanding problem of "unique-humanness": how can you prove you are you, without telling us anything about yourself?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The internet is powerful because of large networks. Email, social apps, and marketplaces are examples of such networks. The more participants they have, the more powerful they become. For the first time, cryptocurrencies make it possible to distribute ownership and control of those networks to their users, rather than a single entity.

look we can't explain how we're just sure they do

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Splicer posted:

Lol at this chump who doesn’t know about Harry Potter’s Sorting Hat. It freakin’ knows poo poo about you without a Driver’s License or Vaccine Passport needed!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

It solves the problem through biometrics: the Orb captures an image of a person’s eyes, which is converted into a short numeric code, making it possible to check whether the person has signed up already. If not, they receive their free share of Worldcoin. The original image will not need to be stored or uploaded. In contrast to many centralized services we use today, no other personal information is required. Through modern cryptography, this numeric code is also not linked to the user’s wallet or transactions, further preserving user privacy.

so uh, what stops me from just submitting a series of numbers to this network and saying "yeah these are my eyeball numbers i'm a person give me money"? is the answer "nothing"? because i think the answer is "nothing"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

so uh, what stops me from just submitting a series of numbers to this network and saying "yeah these are my eyeball numbers i'm a person give me money"? is the answer "nothing"? because i think the answer is "nothing"

The same thing that stops people from bribing customs officers to sell uranium to North Korea, dummy :rolleye:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shame Boy posted:

it is and it's the same loving problem with every blockchain "solution" that tries to map to real world objects: the blockchain only records the movement of numbers, it can't do the hard part which is guaranteeing that those correspond to anything in the real world

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

it is and it's the same loving problem with every blockchain "solution" that tries to map to real world objects: the blockchain only records the movement of numbers, it can't do the hard part which is guaranteeing that those correspond to anything in the real world

the implication of having a dedicated magic orb doing this is it's enforced by being entirely private and centrally controlled to make sure only the Good Data from Properly Secured Orbs gets submitted, which if that's the case then lmao

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Splicer posted:

lmfao I thought this was a humorous paraphrase but it's a direct quote

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

So how many of these "you should include a blockchain!" pitches are just the same "buy my book!"(excluding divabot's book for obvious reasons) pitches on radio shows except attempting to be elevated to national-level finance.

And/or just a trojan horse plan to have 69.420 million dollars "mysteriously" vanish three months later due to one line of code being faulty while the person who said "you should include a blockchain!" also coincidentally took a permanent vacation to the Carribean and IRS audits show a suspicious uptick in yacht purchases in the same timeframe

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

KnifeWrench posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

same

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

give your eyes to ORB

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

This seems more efficient to just make an orbcoin.

I already started the wiki so you can't steal my idea :smug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

okay it literally is just a magic orb, excellent

quote:

Chile
Currently, the longest-active Orb Operator in the world is based here. He has managed to sign up over eighteen- thousand users in a little over six months by running his operations like a business. He employs twenty people who work in shifts—at any given time, he has four people supporting his Orb operation. This allows him to keep his Orb active for eight hours a day, every day. His commitment to the project and its vision is astounding—while he normally operates out of Santiago, he aims to spread the project all throughout Chile, occasionally flying his team to smaller, more remote Chilean towns where he has had to secure special permission to operate and give away Worldcoin.

man orbing dudes must pay real well I guess

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

"ORB OPERATOR"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

20 people work in shifts to manage the orb

they fly to remote locations to add more eyes to the orb

the orb has claimed the eyes of more than 18 thousand people

the orb can not be turned off

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

itanium orb

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

itanium orb

This is the most difficult to comprehend covid graph I've ever seen

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

orb exposure is very dangerous so operators can not work more than a two hour shift managing the orb

drk
Jan 16, 2005
so their magic orb will have a zero false positive or negative rate when they scale up to all ~8B people? sounds plausible.

i'm sure their customer support team will help people unlock their accounts when they develop cataracts

also, someone is going to get shot if they try this eye scanning devil device in the US

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i went looking to see if they actually have tried to answer the "why can't i just give this thing fake data" question and this is as close as they come:

quote:

Using the iris also enables a strong degree of fraud-resistance. In the context of our biometric uniqueness check, this means we need to reliably detect if someone attempts to spoof the biometric capture (e.g., using animals or special contact lenses). Since cheating a uniqueness check only requires looking different than any existing user, the fraud resistance property of the iris is critical. The iris is inherently hard to modify and enables better ways to verify liveness compared to other common biometrics like faces and fingerprints.

you see in order to spoof it you would need to create a fake iris to scan and that's really hard. no we cannot think of any kind of flaw in this reasoning.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

drk posted:

so their magic orb will have a zero false positive or negative rate when they scale up to all ~8B people? sounds plausible.

they DID answer this one with, basically, "well the camera will have very high resolution and be very accurate", so there, problem solved.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

A photo (not a render) of the Orb production model. The device has a diameter of 20 centimeters and weighs around 2.5 kg (5 lbs). The surface of the Orb is mirror chrome. An LED ring guides the user through the sign-up process. Behind the black surfaces, the Orb has an eye-imaging system, infrared LEDs for illumination, and a fraud-detection system. An exchangeable battery is accessible from below to enable continuous mobile operation.

stare into the Orb's dark black void, its hidden unseeable intelligence will judge if you are worthy to unlock its secrets

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

in the world of ORB the people that can paint an eye are king

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Ok but is there a withe paper with millonen of tokens designed to track heart disease and/or obesity rates in the years 2018, 2019, and 2019

Thought so :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i can't get enough of this Orb website

https://i.imgur.com/sdtfXpo.mp4