Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ALFbrot posted:

I think the fundamental problem is a deep disconnect in what people think Ghostbusters should be. Unfortunately, the loudest segment of fandom is manchildren who all grew up, as I did, not realizing that Ghostbusters was a comedy. When I was a kid, it was just this kickass spooky action movie that occasionally had funny moments, and my siblings and friends and I would always play Ghostbusters. In our minds, the cool props were toyetic to the extreme, the ECTO-1 was never a punchline but always a cool ride, and we all convinced ourselves that what we wanted were more stories in that universe (an itch that was largely scratched by The Real Ghostbusters)

Anyone that DIDN'T have that experience remembers it primarily as a whip-smart, extremely of-its-time, politically questionable movie that largely caught lightning in a bottle comedically via the specific alchemy of combining Bill Murray's sardonic comedy with Dan Aykroyd's pulpy weirdness and Harold Ramis' bone-dry eccentricity. Recapturing that tone is likely a nigh-impossible task.

So, when somebody tried to combine successful comedians and update the style to the times, it wasn't great, but it was admirable from a certain perspective. But the opposite perspective saw it as absolute heresy and lost their GD minds online (which is what they're best at). This movie seems aimed squarely at that demographic, trying to recapture the feeling of being a kid and thinking proton packs were the absolute poo poo and wouldn't it be rad to have a mobile proton station on ECTO-1 and ooh what if Gozer came back and there were little Stay Pufts and and and...

I don't think it's possible to make a new GB movie that would satisfy a majority of whatever audience exists for it. I'll be happy to eat my words if this proves me wrong, but everything I've seen makes it seem like it really, really won't.

All of this and the fact that it's just from an age when those kind of movies were possible. I feel like pre-internet movies had a lot more leeway. I'm totally describing this wrong and can't put my finger on it, but before the internet just created instant global knowledge, the idea of a ghost hunting movie - comedy aside - could just work better. People still shared ghost stories among friends and lore building was so literally word of mouth that everything felt.... plausible is the wrong word but.... well gently caress I don't know. I shouldn't have even started typing because I'm not certain exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying the movie was realistic (lol) but that these kinds of movies just worked better before everyone was a know-it-all-constantly-online-cynical-rear end in a top hat? I don't know.

edit: jesus poo poo what a horrible page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

AFewBricksShy posted:

How long has the flash movie been in production?
Is this one of those Armageddon/Deep Impact scenarios where 2 movies decided to hit the multiverse independently of each other?

I thought it was canceled after Miller strangled a woman and shoved her to the ground on video but I was wrong

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

BonoMan posted:

All of this and the fact that it's just from an age when those kind of movies were possible. I feel like pre-internet movies had a lot more leeway. I'm totally describing this wrong and can't put my finger on it, but before the internet just created instant global knowledge, the idea of a ghost hunting movie - comedy aside - could just work better. People still shared ghost stories among friends and lore building was so literally word of mouth that everything felt.... plausible is the wrong word but.... well gently caress I don't know. I shouldn't have even started typing because I'm not certain exactly what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying the movie was realistic (lol) but that these kinds of movies just worked better before everyone was a know-it-all-constantly-online-cynical-rear end in a top hat? I don't know.

edit: jesus poo poo what a horrible page snipe

what you're describing is verisimilitude. Ghostbusters achieves verisimilitude because you can believe the events in the movie occurring in the place and time. The same thing happens with modern horror/slashers, they have to contend with phones / cameras being ubiquitous and informing being able to travel incredibly quickly.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Haven’t polls shown more people believe in ghosts now than in the 80s?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jerkface posted:

what you're describing is verisimilitude. Ghostbusters achieves verisimilitude because you can believe the events in the movie occurring in the place and time. The same thing happens with modern horror/slashers, they have to contend with phones / cameras being ubiquitous and informing being able to travel incredibly quickly.

whydirt posted:

Haven’t polls shown more people believe in ghosts now than in the 80s?

Maybe… I mean verisimilitude is part of the essence of what I’m trying to describe. But I’m not sure if it’s just that literal. It’s (versimilitude x cultural zeitgeist) / it’s point on a definable and finite timeline of film evolution = Ghostbusters. And a million other films iconic of their decades. It’s literally impossible to ever reconstitute that for certain films.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

ALFbrot posted:

I think the fundamental problem is a deep disconnect in what people think Ghostbusters should be. Unfortunately, the loudest segment of fandom is manchildren who all grew up, as I did, not realizing that Ghostbusters was a comedy. When I was a kid, it was just this kickass spooky action movie that occasionally had funny moments, and my siblings and friends and I would always play Ghostbusters. In our minds, the cool props were toyetic to the extreme, the ECTO-1 was never a punchline but always a cool ride, and we all convinced ourselves that what we wanted were more stories in that universe (an itch that was largely scratched by The Real Ghostbusters)

Anyone that DIDN'T have that experience remembers it primarily as a whip-smart, extremely of-its-time, politically questionable movie that largely caught lightning in a bottle comedically via the specific alchemy of combining Bill Murray's sardonic comedy with Dan Aykroyd's pulpy weirdness and Harold Ramis' bone-dry eccentricity. Recapturing that tone is likely a nigh-impossible task.

So, when somebody tried to combine successful comedians and update the style to the times, it wasn't great, but it was admirable from a certain perspective. But the opposite perspective saw it as absolute heresy and lost their GD minds online (which is what they're best at). This movie seems aimed squarely at that demographic, trying to recapture the feeling of being a kid and thinking proton packs were the absolute poo poo and wouldn't it be rad to have a mobile proton station on ECTO-1 and ooh what if Gozer came back and there were little Stay Pufts and and and...

I don't think it's possible to make a new GB movie that would satisfy a majority of whatever audience exists for it. I'll be happy to eat my words if this proves me wrong, but everything I've seen makes it seem like it really, really won't.

I was surprised Bill and Ted 3 worked as well as it did, but walked in with a very, very low bar. Seems like a similar scenario.

I'm curious how Bill and Ted was received at the time it was released.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I was surprised Bill and Ted 3 worked as well as it did, but walked in with a very, very low bar. Seems like a similar scenario.

I'm curious how Bill and Ted was received at the time it was released.

I was only ten but I seem to recall it being very well received. Not sure how well it did at the boxoffice but it was the talk of the town!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Good enough for sequels and a cartoon so likely very well received

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They couldn’t even recapture the magic of Ghostbusters with the same director, actors, and writers five years later with the exact same story. It is perfectly of its time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Nerd pedant voice: why is the car chasing the ghost? Once it has been contained in the proton stream it won't be able to move away so all you're doing at that point is taking it for a walk causing needless environmental damage, furthermore...

Or...they're children and have no idea how the technology works.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They couldn’t even recapture the magic of Ghostbusters with the same director, actors, and writers five years later with the exact same story. It is perfectly of its time.

True, it comes from the peak 'get the government off my back' years and echoes those sentiments constantly. A GB film truly of our own era would have to genuflect to the paleoconservatives.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

True, it comes from the peak 'get the government off my back' years and echoes those sentiments constantly. A GB film truly of our own era would have to genuflect to the paleoconservatives.

True 2021 GhostBusters: The squad doesn't bother busting ghosts and instead provides measures for businesses to live with the ghosts (all of which are scams). Ghostpocalypse happens, no one cares because no one believes ghosts are real since they "do their own research" despite all the evidence staring them in the face (the one aspect holding over from the originals). All humans die. The End.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This looks cool and fun and good and if you do not agree then you are not cool and fun and good:

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1450431544905064451

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

This looks cool and fun and good and if you do not agree then you are not cool and fun and good:

This was inventive and slick and fun! Not entirely sold on the style of the line reads, but if they're consistent then it's a choice and I'm ok with it. I hope the full series has stylistic flourishes like this, but hopefully not 100% of the time, as I was getting a little fatigued by the end of this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ALFbrot posted:

This was inventive and slick and fun! Not entirely sold on the style of the line reads, but if they're consistent then it's a choice and I'm ok with it. I hope the full series has stylistic flourishes like this, but hopefully not 100% of the time, as I was getting a little fatigued by the end of this.

I'm not sold on the show, because I just can't stand anime (sorry) and that's the source material, but that is one really fun trailer. Very well done. The fact that I'm considering watching it at all is a huge achievement by them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

John Cho is just too old to play this. He looks sleepy. I've never watched the anime but I read this character is supposed to be 27. Cho is almost 50 years old.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vintersorg posted:

John Cho is just too old to play this. He looks sleepy. I've never watched the anime but I read this character is supposed to be 27. Cho is almost 50 years old.
I think the way his martial arts scenes were shot for that teaser showed that it works perfectly well. If anything, it's a lot better than say, Iron Fist's choreography.
Plus, sure the original character was 27, but who's to say they didn't change up his backstory for the live action one? (also, 27 in anime years means you're practically a senior citizen)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not sold on the show, because I just can't stand anime (sorry) and that's the source material, but that is one really fun trailer. Very well done. The fact that I'm considering watching it at all is a huge achievement by them.

Thank you for apologizing to me.

Also, I don't remember feeling like Spike's age was at all material to the story, but maybe my memory is fuzzy as I, myself, am an Old

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

feedmyleg posted:

That was... a lot. Definitely more interesting then the other stuff they have released. I'm assuming that the fourth wall stuff is just for this short. If not, that will get really old really quick. Gives me much more confidence that they can do the fast/actiony parts. Will be interesting to see if they can do slower, more contemplative moments.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
It just feels like something Edgar Wright was already doing over a decade ago. But video editing has been so "democratized" by YouTube, Twitch, and e-sports organization that I am probably not a fan in general of going nuts with After Effects etc.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The action choreo and shooting looks pretty Marvel-tier with a few Scott Pilgrim flourishes. Not a huge fan of the original show either, so I think I'll pass unless it gets rave reviews.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
That still looks lame

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

The visuals got overplayed after 30 seconds. Is the whole thing going to be like that?

And Ghostbusters looks like shite. Reitman hasn't got a loving clue why the film his dad made was any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgZDpdnMULQ

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Spike looks too old and tired, and Jet doesn't look grizzled enough, but I think those problems will fade away after like the first episode. It's just a kind of visual shock.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The new Batman trailer reminds me of one of those times a moment in a trailer worked better than in the movie. In Batman Forever, there's that bit in the trailer when Batman crashes through the skylight and Riddler goes to Two-Face, "Your entrance was good..." then it cuts to another second of Batman action, "...his was better." In the movie Riddler's line is said uninterrupted without cutting away and just doesn't hit as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm loving the look of the new Batman. That heavy Crow/Seven vibe is just everything to the 15 year old me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
honestly hope the show has this entire goofy vibe of cosplayers making something in a weekend like the opening and this teaser has

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 19, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT544Y0yhIg

Is it just me, or is this hiding Kidman as Lucy, while not really hiding Bardem as Desi? Screenshot aside.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
are you not teased

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZOnOfc83Q0

Bonus :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDH140dLq5M

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Whalberg is a bad choice for Sully, that will not change, but the movie doesn't look terrible. Definitely generic, but not terrible.
Looks like they're combining 3 and 4 into one movie, cutting the Shangrila stuff from 3 and replacing it with bits of 4's story. Turning Rafe from a rich whiny white guy into Antonio Banderas seems like a good call, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That looks terrible, holy poo poo.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I love you Tom Holland, but I'm sorry, you can't pull off grown-rear end man yet. Or if you can I haven't seen it on screen.

Maybe let him have some stubble or something.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Is it just me, or is the trailer cut in a way that makes it seem like Drake and Sully meet in a bar and hook up? Funny that they bring up Sam so quickly instead of waiting until the fourth movie. And I kind of get why Elena isn't in the movie. Chloe is technically more interesting than another wisecracking fish-out-of-water that Nathan seems to be. But Elena did grow on me a lot in the games, so I'm a little bummed.

Movie looks ok. But it doesn't look like it will have the charm that elevated the games.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Very weird casting, trailer is very ... maybe lazy? Everything seems super generic, like they're desperate to hide some bits.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, I agree with everything said. Looks generic as hell, and miscast. And that cargo plane scene looks too cartoonish and ridiculous, it takes me right out of the movie. Like Legolas jumping on the rocks in The Hobbit. Just too fake. It didn't give me any reason to want to see it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tom Holland talked about this movie in a GQ interview from a while ago.

Before he began work on No Way Home Tom Holland shot another movie, Uncharted, due out in 2022. If Cherry is an independent “action” film shot by directors who have more affinity with someone like Steven Soderbergh, then Uncharted has more in common with a Michael Bay action movie. It required more bulking up from Holland. It also required a little more cool. Not cool cool. Not Soderbergh. But cool, as in Holland had to stand “looking cool”. It was an experiment in vanity that left an odd taste in his mouth.

“As soon as you start worrying about ‘Do I look good in this shot?’ acting becomes something other than playing a character. I think there are elements of my performance in Uncharted where I kind of fell under that spell of being ‘I want to look good now. I want this to be my cool moment.’ I had to play this very tough, very stoic guy – basically be Mark Wahlberg. My character is supposed to be a loving action hero in this moment! Look, I haven’t seen it, so I don’t know if I succeeded in that. But it was an important lesson learned, because, at times, it was less about land a mark and go through this scene and more about land a mark, stand like this and see my bulging biceps... It was a mistake and is something that I will probably never do again.”

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

god bless Tom Holland but he is not what I would cast if I was looking for "stoic"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Isn't this supposed to be the origin story and that's why they're all so young.

Either way he's wayyy to young still (DiCaprio, for me personally, has a lot of the same issue. Fantastic actor but he has a baby face).

Movie wise it just looks like a bland M:I/Tomb Raider mashup. The production values are all too clean. The games have always had a gritty feeling to them and they just look like they're cosplaying here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

It's such a mordant, funny idea. Blue collar comedy thru the prism of high concept hijinks.

My take on it would be just a regular sequel to the original movies, and what would naturally happen after a couple decades. Crews of ghostbusting crews working in NYC in what is now seen as a very common profession, ghosts being akin to rats and other vermin. And one group trying to make a name for themselves (maybe some of them just trying to get thru the day, like Ernie in the earlier movies). Then something super weird and super big interrupts them to catastrophic and funny results.

It's not that hard! For a SA poo poo post!