Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

pik_d posted:

Just to follow up on this I did end up taking him back, and he's already been adopted again, hopefully by someone/people with his energy level. I'll adopt again but probably a middle aged dog.

I'm sure that was very hard to do, but it's probably best for both of you. Well done.

Even if you adopt an older, lower-energy dog, you're still going to face some challenges if you'll have the same busy work schedule. No matter how chill your new dog is, twelve hours is a long block of time to be left alone every day, even if you have a reliable lunch break. Consider hiring a dog-walker to break up those long crate hours. Ahboo absolutely adored our dog-walker, and he was noticeably happier on days when she visited.

Another option is finding a good doggy day care, even if it's just one or two days a week. Unfortunately, many of them are just glorified boarding kennels, but some are well-supervised and have staff that try to keep the dogs engaged. Your vet should be able to recommend one -- when I asked mine about day-care for Kepler, she immediately listed off six local ones (and which four of them to avoid like the plague).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Yeah for sure it'll take some adjusting. Unfortunately the doggy daycares near me have either the same exact hours I do, or shorter, so I'm not sure how I'd even get a dog to/from them and get to work.

My previous dog that I had for over a decade was trustworthy enough that I literally never crated her. She had the run of the house (except my bedroom) and always behaved while I was away. Ideally any future dog would get to the same point, but that's not a given I suppose.

SuddenlyAri
Feb 24, 2019

Tinfoil Hat Society
Nyx Destroyer

Average Lettuce posted:

Hello everyone, first time dog owner here. Me and my gf went to the kennel and got a 2 year old mutt. I would say that everything is going good. She still pees inside (but only on rugs, so we can cycle some cheap ones while she doesn't learn to do it outside). Apart from that, she is a bit more active inside the apartment compared to what I was expecting when I met her, but nothing that can't be managed.

The biggest problem we're having is that she starts to whine the moment we leave, even if we just lock ourselves in another room. She doesn't have a destructive behavior, and the whines aren't that loud (no neighbors complaints until now). Still, it breaks my heart to see her like this (and she certainly suffers from seeing us leave). Any advice on trying to get her to be ok being alone?

We've both been working from home, so she doesn't stay alone for too long (one or two hours at most). She's fine when we go to sleep (we don't let her in the bedroom), but sometimes just going to the bathroom she starts to whine. If we leave the house it's much louder. I'm not sure if it's something we just have to deal with until she gets used to it or if we should/must introduce it more slowly. We've tried kong toy with treats right before we leave, but she still whines (although at least after a bit she's more entertained) but right now she's on a strict diet due to bloody poops (due to the change of the food from what she got from the kennel) so we haven't been able to feed her anything other than the food prescribed by the vet.

In general it has been a great experience so far (even if I get a bit anxious trying to do everything right), this is basically a childhood dream come true for me, since my parents never wanted pets.

I had the same issue, my doggo had separation anxiety. Every time I left she would instantly whine or let out a high pitched bark of distress. After about a week she pretty much stopped, she's now quiet and knows I'll be back. Every so often she will hear a noise and bark a few times but that's about it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My 1.5 year old pup needs a major tooth extraction and 7 bond & seals. Four figure vet bill aside, it really bums me out that he must have had a really tough life before he got picked up as a stray :smith:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Riatsala posted:

My 1.5 year old pup needs a major tooth extraction and 7 bond & seals. Four figure vet bill aside, it really bums me out that he must have had a really tough life before he got picked up as a stray :smith:

Just remember: his life is infinitely better now that he has a home with you!

I get bummed out sometimes thinking about what my own rescue dog likely went through as a puppy. Kepler was picked up as a ten-month-old stray -- unfixed, skinny, and hungry. He doesn't have signs of physcial abuse, but he has severe separation anxiety, and he used to have food guarding behavior. This, paired with him being potty-trained and comfortable around people, makes me (and my vet and the behaviorist) suspect he had a family at some point, but he may have been neglected. He also had some fresh scars on his snout, which probably came from an encounter with another dog, cat, or wild animal. Puppyhood was likely not easy for him.

But when I get sad about all of that, it helps to remember that he has a safe, attentive, loving home with my family. He's well-fed, well-exercised, and gets tons of time and attention. We're working with a great vet, a trainer, and a behaviorist on his anxieties. I'm sure your good boy has a similarly better life now.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I really appreciate it. He's come a long way from what I always guessed was a pretty rough puppy-hood. He's my favorite goober and I feel sad whenever I consider that he wasn't getting love and attention, no matter how far in the past it is for him.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

My dog has recently started reacting to sounds in our apartment building. Like when someone is walking on the floor above us, or the stairs outside. He will then bark 1 to 5 times. This has started to increase in frequency and volume recently, to the point where I now wake up several times a night because of it.

He is also reacting to the door bell, but following Kikopups advice (recording and playing back the sounds at low volumes and rewarding him for being quiet), has made it much less of a problem. I haven't been able to record the noises of the footsteps, and he is also very aware of the location of the sound (I had to play back the doorbell in the next room to make him believe it was actually the doorbell), so it's very hard to replicate the noises. I've tried rewarding him when a noise occurs, but as I never know when someone in the building will start making noises, it's hard to be ready and consistent about it. I've also tried to ignore him whenever he reacts, not saying "no" or in any way correcting him. But as this keeps growing - I suspect it might be self-reinforcing - I'm starting to get kind of desperate. It happens less when I'm in the same room as him, and more during the nights when I'm in the bedroom and him in the living room.

He is one and half years old. A mix of maltese and chinese crested, for reference.

Really thankful for some good advice, as this is really starting to stress me (and potentially neighbours) out!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How infrequently is too infrequently for dogs using the restroom?

Gobi used to pee 4 times and poop twice a day. Lately he has consolidated that to one poop a day and 1-2 pees. I still take him out 4-5 times per day, but sometimes he’ll choose to go 12+ hours without peeing and then literally go for 70 seconds straight when he pees.

He doesn’t seem to be in pain or anything, and there hasn’t been any big changes in our routine.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How infrequently is too infrequently for dogs using the restroom?

Gobi used to pee 4 times and poop twice a day. Lately he has consolidated that to one poop a day and 1-2 pees. I still take him out 4-5 times per day, but sometimes he’ll choose to go 12+ hours without peeing and then literally go for 70 seconds straight when he pees.

He doesn’t seem to be in pain or anything, and there hasn’t been any big changes in our routine.

Oh man, potty issues. I'm not a vet (so ask your vet), but I've had all kinds of similar issues with my dogs.

Gobi's getting close to a year old, right?

Puppies need to pee about a million times a day -- tiny bladders, plus they're more likely to pee due to anxiety or fear or even just to get your attention. You know all those times you've praised and/or treated him for going outside? Yep, dogs are smart. Pee more, get more pets and treats.

But now he's getting toward adulthood. As dogs grow, they can physically hold it longer, and as they get comfortable with their home and schedule, they'll often settle into a routine and become less likely to anxiety-pee. This is probably all that's happening.

One poop per day isn't too crazy. My dogs have all averaged 1-2 times once they were adults, mostly depending on food/treat intake and the amount of exercise they were getting.

Holding his pee for 12 hours when there are opportunities to go potty does seem a bit excessive. There could be a few reasons:

1. Health issues. Unlikely, but he could have a bladder or urinary tract infection that makes it physically hurt to pee. But kidney, liver, or other issues can cause it too. You can call and ask your vet, though depending on which tests they've run recently, they may ask you to bring him in. (My first dog had this problem; he came from the shelter with a UTI and would go MANY hours without peeing because it hurt so much. Then he'd do the Austin Powers two-minute pee. We worked with our vet through two full courses of different medications to get this one knocked out.)

2. Anxiety issues. Is it possible Gobi had a bad experience during potty time recently? Maybe a neighbor dog barked at him, or a truck backfired, or a helicopter went over? Or maybe he mistook someone in your household talking loudly for scolding him while he was doing his business? He could be overstimulated by the environment, too, if you're only peeing on walks around the neighborhood. Usually you can get past this by reinforcing that potty time is safe -- maybe give him a special treat after a successful potty run. It doesn't have to be big or fancy, just something he likes that's unique to potty time. (My current dog had this problem when a fire truck roared by our house as he was trying to pee. We had to coax him out the back door for a week afterward.)

3. Your dog is a lazy bones. He's just becoming chill and doesn't have to go that bad? If your vet doesn't detect any health problems, and Gobi doesn't seem to be in pain or start having accidents in the house, don't sweat it. Make sure he has access to water all* the time, and he should settle into the routine that's right for him. (My second dog was this way after he turned two years old -- he just couldn't be bothered to pee and would sometimes go most of the day without asking to go out, but he never had an accident until he was a very old man.)

* Some dogs will absolutely over-drink, especially if they were strays and feel food/water insecurity. But overdrinking can also be caused by specific health issues, so again, ask your vet.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 13, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Opposite thing dude.

My parents dog started the twice a day thing a few years back and is going strong. Ask the vet on your checkup but it isn't alarming ime

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The peeing thing is recent (a week or so), but for the last maybe 6 weeks he has been hiding when I try and get his leash on to go outside.

It started around the time he got attacked by a dog at a dog park. However, he stills loves going to the dog park and being outside in general. It’s just the apartment > front yard he refuses to do.

He could have a UTI, but after his big pee he marks about 10 more times and it doesn’t seem to bother him. I’m always worried about his hips, since that’s a common Shiba problem and he’s always had a weird gait, but he never around running or playing hard with dogs or people.

He could just have some anxiety around the front door, but he’s pretty non-anxious for a Shiba.

He drinks a pretty good amount of water for his size also. He hasn’t had a true accident in the house for like 4 months. though he gets mad when my girlfriend is over and I lock him out of the bedroom, so he’ll wake us up and the go mark on the carpet while making eye contact.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ah working/primitive dogs taking revenge. My friend's hound would poo poo in her shoes when we locked him out of the bedroom.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have any recommendations for dog coats? I moved to a significantly colder area this year and my dog is old so I want to be prepared in case she has trouble with the cold when she needs to go outside to do her business. I'd get boots too but she would destroy them, she hates stuff touching her paws. I've got a sweater but I don't know how well that will work by itself. She's a bloodhound/heeler mix so she does have a double coat but unless she's shivering I have no way to tell if she's cold.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
After looking forever, we got Sherlock a Hurtta coat. He refuses to wear it, despite being the Coldest Dog in Canada. Instead we layer two sweaters and boots, sometimes a puffer coat from Canada Pooch if it seems like he may need it.

If the dog will wear a Hurtta, I would go with that. But if your dog categorically refuses to wear any kind of clothing, I can't help you beyond layering sweaters, and things that they will wear.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gobi peed the bed last night, which he has never done, so I took him to the vet.

No UTI, but they think he just has general anxiety. I’m trying to figure out if something has changed around my house, or right outside, because he only seems to be scared about going outside, not about actually being somewhere.

I feel like it started when I took him to a doggy daycare on Labor Day. He hated it. I’m wondering if maybe he is just anxious that I’ll take him there again.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Gobi peed the bed last night, which he has never done, so I took him to the vet.

No UTI, but they think he just has general anxiety. I’m trying to figure out if something has changed around my house, or right outside, because he only seems to be scared about going outside, not about actually being somewhere.

I feel like it started when I took him to a doggy daycare on Labor Day. He hated it. I’m wondering if maybe he is just anxious that I’ll take him there again.

That sounds really familiar. Even a single traumatic (to them) experience can make an anxious dog absolutely dread something.

Kepler loves rides in the car. I mean, he loving LOVES rides in the car. If I pick up my keys, he bolts up and wags his tail and does a little dance.

A few weeks ago, we were going into the garage for our daily-ish ride around the neighborhood, and a large folded-up cardboard box fell off a shelf and hit the floor with a loud "slap". Ever since then, Keps absolutely refuses to go into the garage, even when lured with fresh chicken. He'll dig in his heels, and if we try to pull him, he goes into panic mode (so we don't do that).

He still loves rides in the car. If I pull the car into the driveway and we go out the front door, he'll happily jump right in and start drooling all over the windows.

Has your vet talked to you about getting anxiety-oriented training? My vet recommended an amazing behaviorist that has, in a few months, gotten us from "if either of us leaves the room, Kepler has a panic attack" to "we get to sleep upstairs in our own bed at night, and sometimes Kepler will ask to go outside and chill happily in the backyard for half an hour".

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 16, 2021

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for dog coats? I moved to a significantly colder area this year and my dog is old so I want to be prepared in case she has trouble with the cold when she needs to go outside to do her business. I'd get boots too but she would destroy them, she hates stuff touching her paws. I've got a sweater but I don't know how well that will work by itself. She's a bloodhound/heeler mix so she does have a double coat but unless she's shivering I have no way to tell if she's cold.

I'm a fan of Weatherbeeta coats, the orange ones are pretty waterproof, have a lot of neck protection, cover the chest, are easy to put on, and don't have that awful fleece interior that gets full of dog hair

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I adopted my first dog five years ago yesterday. That's my hound dog. Today, my three dogs got cheeseburgers and fries to celebrate.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lure coursing weekend! She had 4 runs of 600 yards each and needed to qualify in 3 to get her coursing ability title.

All the money and standing around in the rain and the fact that the interior of my car is now completely caked in mud are all worth it because the swine has been passed the gently caress out for 7 hours straight now.

If you have any coursing ability tests or fastcats near you I highly recommend giving them a try if your dog has prey drive. Scout had an absolute blast and it was very beginner friendly. Mixed breeds are welcome as long as they're spayed or neutered.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That is the weirdest-looking dalmation I've ever seen :v:

Sounds like she had a great time though!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Congrats!

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I'm on a waitlist for a puppy but I might be moving overseas.

Thoughts on shipping a puppy overseas? I think they'll need to be a bit older than usual to be able to fly so the breeder will have them for a bit longer and I can ask them to crate train the dog. How can I settle the puppy in to the new environment after a pretty stressful (I assume) trip? Has anyone done it before?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EvilElmo posted:

Thoughts on shipping a puppy overseas? I think they'll need to be a bit older than usual to be able to fly so the breeder will have them for a bit longer and I can ask them to crate train the dog. How can I settle the puppy in to the new environment after a pretty stressful (I assume) trip? Has anyone done it before?

Don’t do it. Get a puppy when after you move.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Don’t do it. Get a puppy when after you move.

Agreed. Moving is a very stressful time, and getting a puppy is also super stressful. Don't compound your stresses while also adding a vulnerable and impressionable animal to your life. You want their formative experiences to be positive.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
If you don't know enough about the next year or so to even know what country you'll be living in, you probably aren't in position to get a puppy yet. Just be patient. As far as flying, I wouldn't ship a puppy, I would fly there, pick it up, and fly back. Otherwise I would stick with whatever is in driving range.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

EvilElmo posted:

Please don't do this.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
For additional clarity, the wait list is about 7 months, but more likely 12 months due to them planning less litters next year. I will be moving by the end of the year (if I land this job). So I'll be well settled in by the time the puppy is ready to be collected.

On a quick search there are no great dane breeders in the country I'm moving (or any breeders from what I can see) so it would be an international flight regardless of where I buy the puppy from.

edit: It's a 7 hour flight time. And yeah, I'd prefer to go back to Australia pick up the puppy and fly back with the puppy, but Singapore Air/Qantas don't allow pets in the cabin. It'd just be so I can be with them the entire time. No need to quarantine the dog since it's coming from Australia.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 19, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I mean it’s ultimately your decision but I wouldn’t trust any airline with my dog in cargo, especially a puppy.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I mean it’s ultimately your decision but I wouldn’t trust any airline with my dog in cargo, especially a puppy.

Yeah that's my biggest hangup with it as well. But seems all dogs are imported, except for those through the local dog rescues. Which I will have a look at when I arrive as well.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dogs are shipped all over the world all the time. It's not ideal and you should do your research on airlines but big name competition dogs, serious working dogs, and high end breeding dogs, they all get shipped cargo and do fine. A pet transportation company might be a good idea to invest in to help you with the paperwork as some countries have really specific timelines for when things need to be done.

Edit: since you're looking at danes you might want to PM fluffy bunnies, she's a dane person and has had to transport them internationally before. if she doesn't respond to your PM let me know and I'll nudge her

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I woudl try and get a puppy at your destination instead of where you're at now. It's a year long wait list anyways so I'm sure you can find yourself falling in love with a shelter pup before then...

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

my puppy is a genius!!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just adopted a 7 month old puppy. He's a very good boy, way mouthier than i expected or like, but that's something we'll work on. My main question is: do i necessarily need a crate for him? I've had several dogs, and the ones i raised as young puppies all got crates for training, while the older ones I've adopted (4+ years) didn't. He's mostly house trained, only had an accident today because i wasn't paying close attention to his body language--last time i raised a puppy was over 10 years ago so I'm a little rusty lol

He's got a nice big bed though he hasn't figured out that it's his bed yet

e: Puppy answered this question for me overnight and we're getting a crate lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 21, 2021

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis is very mouthy, but he's quite gentle about it. As long as you don't try to pull away. That's just how he greets us.

What's interesting is that he doesn't try it with people outside of the home. There he's just jumpy, which we've been working on.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
At 9.5 months, Savannah has become a Woman

She does not love the diapers

I'm about ready to just say "forget the diapers" and deal with bloodstained carpet, because she is peeing 8 times a day and is just a nightmare about having her tail handled/snaked into the diaper hole

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Apollo has decided it’s cool and good to jumpkick slam into the door while waiting for me to let him out. This is a new variant on spinning in a circle and jumping up and down.

Any advice on convincing him not to do this?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm about ready to just say "forget the diapers" and deal with bloodstained carpet, because she is peeing 8 times a day and is just a nightmare about having her tail handled/snaked into the diaper hole

I don't bother with the pants around the house but I also live on a farm so some dog blood is not the worst my home has seen. Some bitches are really good at keeping themselves clean, mine is a gross free bleeder and I just have to wipe down my floor/coffee table/car regularly.

She also hated me trying to get her tail in the hole. I got some fancy Dog Thongs (tm) (that's really their name, RIP my search history) at the recommendation of some other dog ladies but she still didn't love them. In the end I only made her wear them when we had a dog show to go to and I didn't want the people competing with males to hate me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apollo has decided it’s cool and good to jumpkick slam into the door while waiting for me to let him out. This is a new variant on spinning in a circle and jumping up and down.

I'd teach him to signal you that he needs to go out a different way. If it's just while waiting I'd play redlight, greenlight where if he's relatively calm you walk towards the door and if he's losing his poo poo you stop or turn around. It will take a while at first but he should get the picture.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

StrixNebulosa posted:

Eventually one of the two will break and the problem solves itself.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Tried transitioning from expensive dog food to Costco dog food after reading all the positive ratings for the latter, but a month in and his shits are still not always firm (usually firm shits in the morning once the food has had a chance to sit in his gut all night, but the midday poo poo after breakfast is always formless).

Is this when I start transitioning back to the original food, or is a month not long enough? Do I do the same slow mixing process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So in the days since I got the advice on how to stop Apollo from breaking the door he's stopped doing it entirely without me doing anything. I guarantee he'll go back to it as soon as I hit post, but ??? dogs. There is red light/green light in his future if he decides to slam into things.