Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just started playing Mc again, my wife and I are playing some lightly modded Mc but it's making me wish for a bigger experience. I remember liking thaumcraft a ton but see it's not been updated in years... And I want to be in a more recent version of minecraft to see all the new stuff. So I guess I'm asking for a modpack that's on a fairly recent version and is magic and exploration focused. Maybe a tech mod in there too but I don't want to be putting together massive crucibles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

look i'm just going to suggest Blightfall so that no-one else does. it's only MC 1.7.10 though i think.

better to play it prior to playing later versions of minecraft so that you don't feel like you're going backwards, tbh

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If that's the technic launcher pack where you spawn in domes, I played it years ago

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cicadalek posted:

Beginning to think that the purported existence of thermal elementals in Omnifactory is nothing but a cruel joke on players trying to get around making elemental reduction fluid

Huh. I can't remember how I did it either. Is there a DML recipe for spawning them?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh. I can't remember how I did it either. Is there a DML recipe for spawning them?

The recipe for the data model requires you to have at least one blizz/basalz/blitz powder. That's why this is kind of annoying, you only need to find one in the wild and then you're set. But I hung out in a desert biome all night and only vanilla mobs spawned.

The other way is making elemental reduction fluid, which requires hydrofluoric acid, which probably requires an MV machine I don't have yet. Maybe I should bite the bullet and just work towards that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
HF isn't that bad as you get all the reactant chemicals from common minerals and all the MV machines should be able to be made with a stack of aluminum and a few processing circuits.

Nitro-Diesel otoh is a fun one for later circuits.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just started playing Mc again, my wife and I are playing some lightly modded Mc but it's making me wish for a bigger experience. I remember liking thaumcraft a ton but see it's not been updated in years... And I want to be in a more recent version of minecraft to see all the new stuff. So I guess I'm asking for a modpack that's on a fairly recent version and is magic and exploration focused. Maybe a tech mod in there too but I don't want to be putting together massive crucibles.

It's not new (it's 1.12.2), but Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons is heavy into gear and magic mods. The core of it's Thaumcraft+Thaumic Augmentation, Embers, and Electroblob's Wizardry. It has a lot of different dimensions and gear options.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Yeah, you need the MV stuff anyway if you're trying to run DML more than a little bit, cause numismatic dynamos are the best power gen option for a long time, and you need MV to run DML closed loop and feeding the numismatics. My last playthrough, I leaned very hard on them and it was fine until I started doing draconic fusion, that started to be a bit too much for the numis without having to massively scale up diamond production.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm setting up a 1.18 server for some friends wherein we will explore new caves and such, and I was looking for mods for exactly two things:

1. Have items drop in a gravestone sort of deal rather than just explode onto the ground
2. Have a tree drop all it's wood blocks when you chop the bottom block.

I'm taking a look on CurseForge but it looks like none of it has been updated for 1.18, does it need to wait for launcher updates first?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Put up a standard Bedrock server. Go to https://vanillatweaks.net and install the Timber and Graves datapack. Grab Fast Leaf Decay while you're at it. The clients don't even have to be modded.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I take it the same packs will work for java? They also list 1.17 as the last supported version...

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Datapacks are actually Java only.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Hexxit 2 comes out tomorrow. Wonder how big of a pack it's going to be or what's in it. There's almost no information about it.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
It's out. Gonna give it a whirl tomorrow.

https://www.technicpack.net/modpack/hexxit-ii.896745

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Looking through the mod list and it's really just a modernized update to original hexxit. Actually rather impressed.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

I'm setting up a 1.18 server for some friends wherein we will explore new caves and such, and I was looking for mods for exactly two things:

1. Have items drop in a gravestone sort of deal rather than just explode onto the ground
2. Have a tree drop all it's wood blocks when you chop the bottom block.

I'm taking a look on CurseForge but it looks like none of it has been updated for 1.18, does it need to wait for launcher updates first?

..1.18 hasn't been released yet, how could it have mods made for it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I know, but the snapshots are out which is what the people I know are coming to play for. I don't know anything about minecraft modding but it seems like most stuff wouldn't change too much between releases and would be easy to update for, but I could be wrong.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I know, but the snapshots are out which is what the people I know are coming to play for. I don't know anything about minecraft modding but it seems like most stuff wouldn't change too much between releases and would be easy to update for, but I could be wrong.

That's wrong on a couple levels. If this is a version that doesn't actually require rewrites, which is uncommon for new minecraft versions, it's still going to require obfuscation mappings and new fabric/forge versions which will not be available until the final release at least.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tried out Hexxit 2. Not familiar with the original, the technic launcher and download page for Hexxit are also pretty lacking in what it is exactly. Seems cool so far, just regular minecraft with some new stuff? Guess I just build up and try to get to ender dragon? I'm excited enough by the new stuff I've seen either way. Died to a snake, killed some river sharks, died in some really confusing mayan temple.

Then I was just wandering around, saw some... doorway portal looking thingy, not like end or nether portal. It took me to some stone brick room in the void with several doors and switches with iron bars. flipped switches, couldnt tell if they did anything. the looky thing told me the black void walls were harvestables, said fabric of reality, broke em and then walked through... which sent me through the void floor or something then loaded me into some mysterious dark landscape with nothing in it but unravelled reality fabric. i had nothing on me when i was in the room so i couldn't break through the intended doorways, not sure if it just broke something or what but i wandered around until i fell into some weird red/white patterned blocks then fell through a void again and was plopped down somewhere back in the regular world... where a manticore immediately killed me.

Where boy! Pretty crazy stuff already, I was already excited just seeing snails, two kinds of fireflies, and lil boars. The massive item lists also surely has a lot of cool fun stuff, haven't browsed it yet but i think some book or something showed me there are auto crafting type blocks eventually.

I like it so far, gonna have to be a little more careful than usual it's clear. One question, is there any way to have the crafting menu just show you what you can currently craft, rather than a list of all possible things and you just gotta search or know where it is?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

unrelated but you have the worst avatar i've seen on these forums in a long time

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I haven't played a kitchen sink pack in forever, but FTB Endeavour is a pretty good one. Loads and runs better than a lot of large packs I've played, has a good blend of easy/convenient mods and complex/involved ones, some magic and some tech, plus enough new ores, renewable sources, quality of life tweaks, and so on as to be really engaging. Several food mods, simple hopping bonsais that support any plant, a vastly expanded Nether and End, a load of decorative blocks and some dungeons and bonus dimensions mixed in to boot. Pretty much what you'd want from a mixed pack, and nicely tweaked from what I can tell. Also has Create front and center, which is what made me try it in the first place.
E: Forgot to specify it's a 1.16 pack.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 24, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is there an easy way to manage Hexxit 2 in GD Launcher? I'd like to fire it up and maybe set up a server.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Patware posted:

unrelated but you have the worst avatar i've seen on these forums in a long time

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Tried out Hexxit 2. Not familiar with the original, the technic launcher and download page for Hexxit are also pretty lacking in what it is exactly. Seems cool so far, just regular minecraft with some new stuff? Guess I just build up and try to get to ender dragon? I'm excited enough by the new stuff I've seen either way. Died to a snake, killed some river sharks, died in some really confusing mayan temple.

Then I was just wandering around, saw some... doorway portal looking thingy, not like end or nether portal. It took me to some stone brick room in the void with several doors and switches with iron bars. flipped switches, couldnt tell if they did anything. the looky thing told me the black void walls were harvestables, said fabric of reality, broke em and then walked through... which sent me through the void floor or something then loaded me into some mysterious dark landscape with nothing in it but unravelled reality fabric. i had nothing on me when i was in the room so i couldn't break through the intended doorways, not sure if it just broke something or what but i wandered around until i fell into some weird red/white patterned blocks then fell through a void again and was plopped down somewhere back in the regular world... where a manticore immediately killed me.

Where boy! Pretty crazy stuff already, I was already excited just seeing snails, two kinds of fireflies, and lil boars. The massive item lists also surely has a lot of cool fun stuff, haven't browsed it yet but i think some book or something showed me there are auto crafting type blocks eventually.

I like it so far, gonna have to be a little more careful than usual it's clear. One question, is there any way to have the crafting menu just show you what you can currently craft, rather than a list of all possible things and you just gotta search or know where it is?

that blocks and darkness area you found is from dimensional doors. they can be fun and profitable and are also dangerous. you can harness their power for your own uses too, making pocket dimensions. it's great.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I explored a few of them since, very fun, and I almost always die because I fall for the trap while looking "ooh redstone" then turn around and there's a trip wire and I'm seal inside. I've just been spawning seeds and poknig around spawn to see what a cool little starting zone to get so i usually have no tools when I go in either so im usually really only able to escape by breaking through the fabric into the void. i love the darkness effect, so simple but lets you make some really cool little hidden constructions. i do look forward to playing around with those. in one chest in one i got some world thread or something so i guess you can maybe make portals eventually?

currently settled on a seed that spawns right in a town, always like settling near a town, and there's a big volcano, a secret pirateship island, a tower full of gently caress-off death, some cool looking castle things, few dimensional doors around. building up some castle ruins near the town at start, think i might make a volcano lair or something though. Near my current castle house ruins, there's a pink floating island, i guess just high enough to constantly spawn slimes who immediately fall, crush, split, and leave dozens and dozens of slimes around lol. Pretty easy xp and some good items, plus exposed diamond in the area and i basically made diamond gear before even making wood or stone or metal. even some diamond tools i havent sorted out yet, like a saw that seems to cut wood worse than the axe lol. i should probably put some torches up there eventually, but for now it's fun. even the random hyper slimes with magic modifier can be a threat but only kind of. getting a taste of abilities im sure will be maddening on harder monbs, like weapon fly away, or bounce into sky attacks, or gravity pull, or explodes when hit.

would love to play this on a server somewhere, but never know where to really look or go. If a goon made one that'd be cool, seems like rando servers ive tried for some other modpacks usually end up being things with some big confusing lobby with 15 ranks and microcurrencies and before you know it you're on some lonely island with a magic rock that gives random resources forever.

oh and whhat's the job block for farmer villagers? composter doesn't seem to be in, which is odd considering this game has a thousand jillion things added to it. they just of all things, took away composter?

edit: Oh other weird stuff, can't turn my cobwebs into strings.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 25, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:science:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
are you in space? is that a spaceship?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Finally went back and started making passive generation of resources I need in Omnifactory once I hit HV. Here's some tips:

- Polymer Clay is your primary thing to start with, and there's a decent guide on the omnifactorydevs github: https://github.com/OmnifactoryDevs/OmnifactoryGuides/blob/latest/guides/PolymerClayAutomation.md

- Once you get that, a good option for 'I want to make this passively, but not forever' is to setup a bank of storage drawers and then add a higher priority storage bus on there, and only have drawers available for the stuff you're making. It's a bit of overhead, but it means you'll cap out at making like 2048 coal or whatever and then kill consumption, and it's all available on your network. Just have enough general purpose ME storage that when you dump something into the system over your SD cap, it has somewhere to go, but generally it's not going to be a problem.

- Pursuant to the last point: Storage downgrades are a thing and are quite useful - especially combined with compacting drawers. The limit on compacting drawers is based on the highest compacting thing, so ingots are based on the blocks, for example. So a single stack of blocks is still like 512 ingots which is enough for basic alloys.

- I setup all the Mob Fabricators for this, and then went back and started adding autocrafting for blastfurnace alloys I use a lot - in theory you can make this totally passively as well, although I skipped making ender pearls passively for vibrant alloy.

Next up I'm going to start trying to better automate chemicals, I just went through and changed my ENTIRE ME fluid drive setup over to individual 1k/4k (depending) drives formatted per. It's a gigantic pain in the rear end to setup, but it lets you start making stuff passively eventually.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 25, 2021

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I explored a few of them since, very fun, and I almost always die because I fall for the trap while looking "ooh redstone" then turn around and there's a trip wire and I'm seal inside. I've just been spawning seeds and poknig around spawn to see what a cool little starting zone to get so i usually have no tools when I go in either so im usually really only able to escape by breaking through the fabric into the void. i love the darkness effect, so simple but lets you make some really cool little hidden constructions. i do look forward to playing around with those. in one chest in one i got some world thread or something so i guess you can maybe make portals eventually?

currently settled on a seed that spawns right in a town, always like settling near a town, and there's a big volcano, a secret pirateship island, a tower full of gently caress-off death, some cool looking castle things, few dimensional doors around. building up some castle ruins near the town at start, think i might make a volcano lair or something though. Near my current castle house ruins, there's a pink floating island, i guess just high enough to constantly spawn slimes who immediately fall, crush, split, and leave dozens and dozens of slimes around lol. Pretty easy xp and some good items, plus exposed diamond in the area and i basically made diamond gear before even making wood or stone or metal. even some diamond tools i havent sorted out yet, like a saw that seems to cut wood worse than the axe lol. i should probably put some torches up there eventually, but for now it's fun. even the random hyper slimes with magic modifier can be a threat but only kind of. getting a taste of abilities im sure will be maddening on harder monbs, like weapon fly away, or bounce into sky attacks, or gravity pull, or explodes when hit.

would love to play this on a server somewhere, but never know where to really look or go. If a goon made one that'd be cool, seems like rando servers ive tried for some other modpacks usually end up being things with some big confusing lobby with 15 ranks and microcurrencies and before you know it you're on some lonely island with a magic rock that gives random resources forever.

oh and whhat's the job block for farmer villagers? composter doesn't seem to be in, which is odd considering this game has a thousand jillion things added to it. they just of all things, took away composter?

edit: Oh other weird stuff, can't turn my cobwebs into strings.

If you’re playing hexxit 2 then composters aren’t a thing. That is a 1.12 mod pack and the villager update is 1.14.

You can turn your cobwebs into string by placing the cobwebs and breaking them with a sword.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

are you in space? is that a spaceship?

Yep, and it's a 'space station', which is to say it is just a platform of light blocks that I made for testing the celestial body generation configs.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Falcon2001 posted:

Finally went back and started making passive generation of resources I need in Omnifactory once I hit HV. Here's some tips:

- Polymer Clay is your primary thing to start with, and there's a decent guide on the omnifactorydevs github: https://github.com/OmnifactoryDevs/OmnifactoryGuides/blob/latest/guides/PolymerClayAutomation.md

- Once you get that, a good option for 'I want to make this passively, but not forever' is to setup a bank of storage drawers and then add a higher priority storage bus on there, and only have drawers available for the stuff you're making. It's a bit of overhead, but it means you'll cap out at making like 2048 coal or whatever and then kill consumption, and it's all available on your network. Just have enough general purpose ME storage that when you dump something into the system over your SD cap, it has somewhere to go, but generally it's not going to be a problem.

- Pursuant to the last point: Storage downgrades are a thing and are quite useful - especially combined with compacting drawers. The limit on compacting drawers is based on the highest compacting thing, so ingots are based on the blocks, for example. So a single stack of blocks is still like 512 ingots which is enough for basic alloys.

- I setup all the Mob Fabricators for this, and then went back and started adding autocrafting for blastfurnace alloys I use a lot - in theory you can make this totally passively as well, although I skipped making ender pearls passively for vibrant alloy.

Next up I'm going to start trying to better automate chemicals, I just went through and changed my ENTIRE ME fluid drive setup over to individual 1k/4k (depending) drives formatted per. It's a gigantic pain in the rear end to setup, but it lets you start making stuff passively eventually.

You don't have to wait to HV to closed loop automate DML. I've done it with MV and it fully powers my current poo poo with numis. I just max upgrade my storage drawers and also void upgrade. It doesn't really matter if it's not producing useful work cause it's 100% closed loop and power positive, and dumping to storage drawers directly so it's not a big tick hit. Currently making iron, copper, diamonds (fuel and surplus), and ender pearls (polymer and surplus) with only a single polymer chain. Numismatics keep scaling up for a long time through HV, especially if you got a battery bank for spikes and automatically turn off dynamos with a power monitor or three. That held me clear into IV, then it had trouble keeping up. This play through, I was trying to get started early on solar, but the early panels just can't hack it.

Also starting to automate SMDs -> circuits chain, which is something I stupidly never did last run through. This time I'm tryin to be a lot better about building a full chain/storing nearby instead of dumping everything to the storage network even if redundant/piping would be really wonky, cause that lag gets killer later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah but only 1 string rather than the big amount in regular mc. I didn't realize it was based on such an old version of mc, that probably accounts for a lot of the weird lil things here.

Had some fun last night clearing out most of a giant castle that had a necromancer at the top. Hope the necromancer didn't have any cool loot b/c he died in fire ultimately. Loot in his room included these jumping boots and clibming claws that basically let me spiderman up and down anything and i think no fall damage? it's very cool, but also, armour is iomportant so i guess its a tradeoff. full diamond still lets quite a few mobs do major damage to ya. wonder if all the new gear theyve added really changes up combat, because so far, it's tough yeah, but also a lot of it isn't really tough, so much as you just gotta dig a hole or block yourself in to attack goobers through a 1 block space where they can't get you in return.

My favourite part of hexxit 2 so far though is the chisels n bits stuff... holy poo poo, getting to carve upo individual blocks, voxel by voxel is amazing. need to build some kind of block obliterator though so i can just make a huge colourful mosaic w/o constantly dismantling my "pallette" blocks. another reason i wanna play this on a server, gonna be weird to make cool scultpures and mosaics in my single player world. so far ive covered the wall by my throne in my ruins castle with genitalia using pin keucalyptus wood (pls add pink wood to bedrock mojang) (and also add chisels n bits)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

You don't have to wait to HV to closed loop automate DML. I've done it with MV and it fully powers my current poo poo with numis. I just max upgrade my storage drawers and also void upgrade. It doesn't really matter if it's not producing useful work cause it's 100% closed loop and power positive, and dumping to storage drawers directly so it's not a big tick hit. Currently making iron, copper, diamonds (fuel and surplus), and ender pearls (polymer and surplus) with only a single polymer chain. Numismatics keep scaling up for a long time through HV, especially if you got a battery bank for spikes and automatically turn off dynamos with a power monitor or three. That held me clear into IV, then it had trouble keeping up. This play through, I was trying to get started early on solar, but the early panels just can't hack it.

Also starting to automate SMDs -> circuits chain, which is something I stupidly never did last run through. This time I'm tryin to be a lot better about building a full chain/storing nearby instead of dumping everything to the storage network even if redundant/piping would be really wonky, cause that lag gets killer later.

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified that I automated DML a while ago. You need a bit of MV, not full HV for it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a new variation on my previous problem of sending two different things to one machine. Now I want to send two ingredients distributed to four blast furnaces. I think vibrant alloy was where it nailed me. I had a round robin setup but the energetic alloy ingots wound up across one machine and the rest of the ender pearls went across the other three.

I can add more inputs and filter them separately, but it doesn't specifically solve keeping even ratios of those ingredients.

Regarding automation: I am just automating everything at the point. It was getting silly for a few quests but then I found out I need multiple cryogenic freezers and distillation towers. 88 steel blocks? Meh.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Your choices are basically EIO limited item filters or multiple ULV input busses, each with one ingredient. I recommend ULV busses with interfaces touching them with one ingredient in each, that way you don't need to mess with filters or conduits. I found round robin to be especially crummy and not at all working how I wanted.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Holy poo poo the dragon forge from Ice and Fire is a loving lag factory. On the other hand, dragonsteel looks loving amazing, so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.

Also we just loving gave up on using legit Eye of Dragons to find them, they explode like 75% of the time.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 26, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a new variation on my previous problem of sending two different things to one machine. Now I want to send two ingredients distributed to four blast furnaces. I think vibrant alloy was where it nailed me. I had a round robin setup but the energetic alloy ingots wound up across one machine and the rest of the ender pearls went across the other three.

I can add more inputs and filter them separately, but it doesn't specifically solve keeping even ratios of those ingredients.

Regarding automation: I am just automating everything at the point. It was getting silly for a few quests but then I found out I need multiple cryogenic freezers and distillation towers. 88 steel blocks? Meh.

Are you talking about passive generation or on-demand? Passive wouldn't be too hard, put a single-stack storage drawer with a robotic arm on each one, but if you're talking about on-demand I think that'd be pretty difficult.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Impulse hoppers have a setting that they'll only serve the quantity until all the items have been spit out, so it'll keep ratios. Downside is this requires a dedicated input, and the item buffer will still fill up a stack, but I've done pretty well with them on stuff that needs different items and quantities. Another option is packagers. Packaged auto doesn't require you use extended crafting, so you can also package up the exact quantities you need and dump them out at the machine input.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I didn't find materials so scarce that I cared about drip feeding them; I was comfortable for 99% of my ebfs sitting with full input hatches and controlling production limits with ME level emitters pointed at the controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

yes, i am still playing gtnh

t2 fusion b*tches