Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

curtadams posted:

Another entry supporting my thesis that Batuik is losing it. He has ideas for plots, but just can't seem to land them anymore. It's not a matter of maudlin or trite writing, or lame endings. He just drops stuff. The first one I really noticed was the supposedly high-concept "Bull Bushka's death to CTE" plot. Which was supposed to be a new "Lisa's story" tackling a heavy topic on the funny pages. But the death wasn't tragic, and it wasn't even particularly clear what happened. Then it ended up shortened by several weeks from the original promise, and the last half of it was a bunch of characters standing around at the funeral, mostly talking about - other stuff. Just a total whiff.

Doesn't he supposedly run buffers of almost a year? It's not like he should be scrabbling to patch together the story on the fly. He could easily have timelines stuck on the wall of his office, binders full of individual storylines to keep things coherent when he switches between them, loving notebooks that remind him of the major plot points he has declared will be taking place.

Maybe his spirit has finally broken and he has accepted that nobody will ever again claim his work is significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

goatface posted:

Maybe his spirit has finally broken and he has accepted that nobody will ever again claim his work is significant.

He got the validation he so clearly craved in the form of a "complete" series of expensive hardbacks (for what audience? who wanted this?)

oh

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Scary Gary

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Scary Gary

:golfclap:

Nice sunrise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wouldn't think twice if you told me that was an actual Scary Gary comic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Valiant getting owned by his own baby is tres good.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

God loving damnit I chuckled at a Garfield cartoon. Next thing you know I'll be getting emotionally invested in Foob or comprehending what happens in Zippy the Pinhead.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 2 – Two Backs End of Part Two!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

John Allison posted:

I think Billie must have a very specific connection to small planes. You used to hear a lot about micro-light aircraft, but they never seem to come up any more. It’s all drones these days.

So here’s a very, very cheerful video about them. I think it’s French. Why does it have that rootsy Americana music in the background? Why not, I am sure the Fédération Française d’ULM would respond.

That’s the end of Clotted Crime part 2, come back on Monday for part 3.

That wraps up part 2 of this 4 part story. Do people still want me to keep posting it in this thread? I know it's technically not a newspaper comic and I only started posting Steeple because of the Lottie crossover in the last story.

Speaking of Lottie, here's a picture of her and Claire Allison posted on his Instagram

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Other posted:

That wraps up part 2 of this 4 part story. Do people still want me to keep posting it in this thread?

Please do continue

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Dippy Halloween (October 31, 1913)

Little Lefty, featuring a return engagement from guest writer Irene Paull, with contributions from labor activist(?) Herman Griffith. (July 15-17, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (April 3-6, 1931)

Just want to acknowledge how great these all are, I especially adore the fashion illustration in Blondie (although she still always looks like she’s in the process of falling down). Also, I’ve noticed myself muttering or sighing “lawsee” to myself occasionally, and I just realized that it’s because I’ve been absorbing Duk slang subconsciously.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Tinkersons owns bones. I really like the theory someone else posted a while ago, that the office workers are the side characters in a gritty thriller.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

As to Steeple,

The Bloop posted:

Please do continue

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

That sneer. That unending, marching sneer. Imagine seeing that herd wandering towards you, expressions fully synched. They probably ate the manager.

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Also, I’ve noticed myself muttering or sighing “lawsee” to myself occasionally, and I just realized that it’s because I’ve been absorbing Duk slang subconsciously.
Get a load of this rummy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 09, 1947)

I call shenanigans on that narration, her hair was clearly arranged the same way the day before. :colbert:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

There it is, my favorite gag in this Bad Machinery story. Something about "BLIKE?" tickles me.

Pastry of the Year posted:

He got the validation he so clearly craved in the form of a "complete" series of expensive hardbacks (for what audience? who wanted this?)

Pictured: Charlie Brown seeing somebody copying him and half-assing it

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The_Other posted:

That wraps up part 2 of this 4 part story. Do people still want me to keep posting it in this thread?
Absolutely.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"...and singing and NOT salsa dancing."

The Phantom

Gonna tell on him to his wife.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

And I said "Well, that's one thing we've got."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm seeing dozens of bad dates I had where we had nothing in common, but I was at least self-aware to recognize it.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"...and singing and NOT salsa dancing."

Just look at that gaze into the glass.

"Is it worth finishing my drink? Will this dull the pain of this train wreck of a date?"

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Just... let it go to voicemail? And why is your ringer even on in the first place?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

First single I ever bought. Gonna be in my head all day now.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Aw drat, that's exactly what I was thinking, was just about to look up the lyrics.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

El Spamo posted:

Just look at that gaze into the glass.

"Is it worth finishing my drink? Will this dull the pain of this train wreck of a date?"

Her grip on the stemware in the second panel is probably just awkward art and not a deliberate character choice, but the idea that she might at any moment clench her fist and shatter it is extremely funny.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

100 Demons: Employment

Childhood is Hell

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Come on, Jules.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Animals

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

oobey posted:

Just... let it go to voicemail? And why is your ringer even on in the first place?

It's a comic originally published in Nineteen-whateverty-fudge. They might not have an answering machine, or it might not be on.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Other posted:

That wraps up part 2 of this 4 part story. Do people still want me to keep posting it in this thread? I know it's technically not a newspaper comic and I only started posting Steeple because of the Lottie crossover in the last story.

I haven't commented on your posts, but I've gradually been getting into these comics and now enjoy following this one in particular. So, please do!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I haven't commented on your posts, but I've gradually been getting into these comics and now enjoy following this one in particular. So, please do!

:same:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oobey posted:

not sure if :thejoke: but that is a house phone and no one ever "turned off the ringer"

That said, they probably do have an answering machine, but it was a different time. No real spam

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

YES... HAHAHA.. YEEESSS

Keep leaning into your strengths, Jules.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The_Other posted:

Yes!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Wowza, Chief really got into cop mode.

e. I just remembered that this is a retelling of an older story from 1941 that was the Chief's second major appearance, which explains why he is so suspicious of the good guys.

If someone has an access to the original story, I'd be curious to see, how much it has been changed.
http://www.mandrakewiki.org/index.php?title=The_Great_Grando

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 21, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Other posted:

That's a big yes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I remember when it used to get cold in October here, decades ago. Those were good times.

So this comic would be more accurate for me if it showed a blazing hot sun while the characters were dressed in heavy coats.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

curtadams posted:

Another entry supporting my thesis that Batuik is losing it. He has ideas for plots, but just can't seem to land them anymore. It's not a matter of maudlin or trite writing, or lame endings. He just drops stuff. The first one I really noticed was the supposedly high-concept "Bull Bushka's death to CTE" plot. Which was supposed to be a new "Lisa's story" tackling a heavy topic on the funny pages. But the death wasn't tragic, and it wasn't even particularly clear what happened. Then it ended up shortened by several weeks from the original promise, and the last half of it was a bunch of characters standing around at the funeral, mostly talking about - other stuff. Just a total whiff.

Looking forward to when the strip goes the way of Apartment 3-G and the last weeks are just a roughly scribbled Les Moore shouting his lines into an empty void.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

First single I ever bought. Gonna be in my head all day now.

Thanks to this thread, I drove home this afternoon with, on repeat in my brain,
"And I said what about music and Frenchies? She said I think I remember those dogs! As I recall I think we both kind of like them! And I said well that's the one thing we've got!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember when it used to get cold in October here, decades ago. Those were good times.

So this comic would be more accurate for me if it showed a blazing hot sun while the characters were dressed in heavy coats.

My town has already begun leaf pickup because this is when they've always started.

90% of the leaves are still bright green.