Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

smoobles posted:

Booster banditry is the obvious outcome when health agencies that are less politicized than ours are releasing study after study about waning immunity and starting to boost their own populations.

It's also the obvious outcome from liberal media gaslighting us that the main point of the vaccine is preventing deaths, not infection, when we're witnessing people's hearts and brains get permanently damaged from mild covid infections.

Yeah, but like, "booster bandit"ing on some random schedule may not actually make you more immune. If a study showed that antibodies waned in an elderly population after 6 months and a booster shot at 6 months increased antibodies that doesn't mean you specifically get some sort of extra super protection from you taking additional shots at 4 months. (as the concept of booster bandit pre-dated the point most people had reached 6 months post vaccination).

The idea of boosters is to get an immune reaction at different parts of the immune cycle, not to just add more and more. Like, if antibodies have gone down from the initial infection and the immune system is moving to b-cell memories you want to expose it again then, so it says "yeah, this is important to remember", instead of just during the window of the same initial reaction so the body just says "welp, this is still going on".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Why is this worth remembering? What is it that you are interpreting from this timeline of events?

I got my 2nd Moderna dose at the end of March, but no pharmacy will give me a booster right now. So I'm coming up on 7 months out when they say the optimal booster schedule is 6 months. Who knows how long they'll drag their feet and just flush vaccines into the sewer system rather than let me put a booster in my arm. Maybe I'll be 9 months from my shot when they finally get around to it?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

You can't, but John or Jane Smith, an unemployed, uninsured person who left their ID at home today can go get a shot right now.

Yeah, another reason why no one should feel bad about booster banditing.

My local rite aid let me get my third and I don't have any physical disabilities or specific risks, which I was up front with them about. I don't think the answer is a definitive yes or no, it seems like it'll vary for folks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

As someone who got the J&J one-and-done have they discussed what the booster schedule might look like for that?

Adding on to everyone else here and so as to not repeat them, J&J is in an odd place. Studies are hinting (on a pre-review, pre-publication) basis that it might have been nearly as effective as a Pfizer regimen if issued as a pair of doses spread in cohorts who took it in regimens as aggressive as two weeks to as slow as ten weeks. J&J may eventually have a dual dose base regimen, and it may eventually get a booster schedule in the future.

It's just not one of the FDA recommended boosters today, and it may never be. We're going to know more by the new year.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

How are u posted:

Why is this worth remembering? What is it that you are interpreting from this timeline of events?

People who got vaccinated in the first waves and then waited for booster approval spent a period of time where current protocols now suggest they should have been boosted. From that I think it's fair to say that it's likely some people died who wouldn't have if they got boosted at the 6 month mark. Whether that means people should have gone out and gotten a 3rd shot without official guidance is going to be subjective, but I don't see how anyone can say it's objectively wrong to act outside of official guidelines given the above.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mischievous Mink posted:

My local rite aid let me get my third and I don't have any physical disabilities or specific risks, which I was up front with them about. I don't think the answer is a definitive yes or no, it seems like it'll vary for folks.

CVS in Atlanta (specifically under the direction of Fulton County) is more than happy to boost any person. Federal agencies may be making recommendations, but local and state politics weigh on in actual administration terms for vaccination.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Something that should not be lost in this discussion is that the third shot for immunocompromised persons and the booster are different things, legally and practically.

If you or someone you know is immunocompromised, you should know that the CDC thinks that it is proper for such persons to get an additional dose after a minimum of only twenty‐eight days from the second shot.

Note also that for Moderna’s vaccine, this additional dose should be one hundred micrograms, identical to the first two, not the fifty‐microgram dose just now being approved as a booster for most of the U.S. adult population.

Obviously the immune systems of immunocompetent persons behave differently, as implied by the names, and this advice is not applicable to them.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah man, that is what I'm saying. Bill gates isn't making you wait to get boosters because he wants to drink it all himself or conserve the precious fluids so you don't steal it. Booster schedules are a real thing. If you shot your kid with 25 diphtheria shots in a week he is less protected than the kid that gets 5 over several years. You aren't cheating the system to by getting a bunch of off schedule boosters.

No one is advocating anything more than a third shot, which is supported by available data. I’m not sure the first part is worth responding to.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

No one is advocating anything more than a third shot, which is supported by available data. I’m not sure the first part is worth responding to.

the whole "max titers" thing started months ago, far before 6 months had past for most of the people. Where it may not actually be the case they got themselves any actual additional protection. Like if you went and got a fake name shot at cvs 3 months after your first shot you might not actually have any special protection over if you got just the two original shots.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

the whole "max titers" thing started months ago, far before 6 months had past for most of the people. Where it may not actually be the case they got themselves any actual additional protection. Like if you went and got a fake name shot at cvs 3 months after your first shot you might not actually have any special protection over if you got just the two original shots.

Who did that?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Max Titers? Who is that?

I don’t know what you’re referring to. I know that in this thread no one is advocating for more than a third shot (or second for J&J).

Anyways, wrt to me specifically, since you seem to be hinting at what you presume I did, I got my third shot 6.5 months after my second.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Once the delta info started coming out of Israel that 3rd shot started making a lot of sense

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

search somethingawful for "max titers", the hi-larious fake name a bunch of people were using to get "booster bandit" shots.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

search somethingawful for "max titers", the hi-larious fake name a bunch of people were using to get "booster bandit" shots.

No I'm aware of the meme name. I'm curious who got theirs that much earlier than recommended.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's an oocc strawman

nobody on SA was getting a booster before 6 months and saying anything about it, nevertheless advocating for doing so. nobody was getting boosters before it became an international norm except as directed by doctors (oncologist in my specific case).

follow FDA guidelines

Edit: "booster bandit" and "Max Titters" (originally "Dick Wang") are memes that emerged regarding getting boostrs after the establishment of an international norm to get a 6-month booster, in jurisdictions where it was necessary to subvert a lovely state or county booster policy after the US federal agencies began recommending boosters for the elderly and sick

only a small handful of people actually got boosts after it became clear that most nations wanted to give 6-8 month boosters once the supply issues for primary vaccination became less of an issue but before the American feds stepped in and made noise about recommending elderly boosters. this topic moved quickly, and if this was any other poster I would say it could be an honest mistake

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 21, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Ferret King posted:

No I'm aware of the meme name. I'm curious who got theirs that much earlier than recommended.

I mean, people were posting max titers cards in august, six months before august is like, the point less than half a percent of americans were fully vaccinated. People were getting first dose in like may, then getting more doses three months later.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, people were posting max titers cards in august, six months before august is like, the point less than half a percent of americans were fully vaccinated. People were getting first dose in like may, then getting more doses three months later.

I got my booster in August.

It was 6 months after my 2nd Pfizer dose.

I just used my real name though, it was easy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

at this point, just follow federal recommendations as pretty much everybody on SA has been inclined to do for a while

just weird bones to pick, heck.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Federal guidance had us remove our masks in May.

I'm not saying they're always wrong or stupid, but my skepticism isn't exactly without merit.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Ferret King posted:

Federal guidance had us remove our masks in May.

I'm not saying they're always wrong or stupid, but my skepticism isn't exactly without merit.

Eh, at this point it is a matter of public record that the understanding of reputable labs and sponsored research advising the CDC continuously through the pandemic was that NPIs remained an important component of risk management. If I read the room correctly, it is by now pretty broadly accepted itt that the move to reduce masking requirements in May was motivated by non-medical forces.

Like yeah, your skepticism is absolutely valid given that our federal agencies have misfired on messaging on the NPI subject before. My very subjective take would be that it was kind of obvious at the time that it was a mistake, strictly from a medical standpoint and without considering the complex question of compliance fatigue.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 21, 2021

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It was obvious to me that boosters were a good idea when politicians started admitting to being boosted before the official guidance was released.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The CDC has been pretty terrible throughout the pandemic, well before May. Off the top of my head…

- Advising against the use of respirators until very recently.
- Changing 6ft. to 3ft. in schools.
- Pushing to open schools at the tail end of the 20-21 school year.
- Never really pushing for improved indoor ventilation standards.
- Downplaying the airborne spread of this disease, playing up fomite and large droplet transmission.

I don’t remember the CDC explicitly advocating NPIs beyond mask mandates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Stop making stuff up.

I happen to know this figure off the top of my head because it has relevance to my family, and on February fifth, about two and a half percent of the U.S. population had received two shots. That’s the live figure pulled up on that date, not inclusive of any records submitted by clinics in the following days.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Potato Salad posted:

It's an oocc strawman

nobody on SA was getting a booster before 6 months and saying anything about it, nevertheless advocating for doing so. nobody was getting boosters before it became an international norm except as directed by doctors (oncologist in my specific case).

You're joking, right.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Unless the posting or advocating was done here I don't see how it's relevant. The rules here are what they are and if you've got a problem with how another thread in another forum handled something, take it up with them there or with a mod there/admin. Do not mistake the current discussion of the CDC and goon reactions to it and the CDC's mishandling of a lot of the virus with a reason to bring up other threads or posters. Saying "X thing never happened on SA" is a foolhardy endeavor and claiming it happened elsewhere is a fundamentally pointless one.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Epic High Five posted:

Unless the posting or advocating was done here I don't see how it's relevant. The rules here are what they are and if you've got a problem with how another thread in another forum handled something, take it up with them there or with a mod there/admin. Do not mistake the current discussion of the CDC and goon reactions to it and the CDC's mishandling of a lot of the virus with a reason to bring up other threads or posters. Saying "X thing never happened on SA" is a foolhardy endeavor and claiming it happened elsewhere is a fundamentally pointless one.

LOL it literally happened in this thread. We had a whole thing where people were like "here's how you can go lie to a pharmacy and get a 3rd shot since they haven't approved boosters yet and we shouldn't trust the CDC because they're politicized so why wait".

It wasn't everyone but it was about 3 people.

I can dig it up if you want but it will take a while it was the previous iteration of this thread.

You probably approved the probes even.

edit: FWIW I do agree the CDC has been poo poo this pandemic and their mask guidance especially so but I am also not behind making up your own vaccine guidelines

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

LOL it literally happened in this thread. We had a whole thing where people were like "here's how you can go lie to a pharmacy and get a 3rd shot since they haven't approved boosters yet and we shouldn't trust the CDC because they're politicized so why wait".

It wasn't everyone but it was about 3 people.

I can dig it up if you want but it will take a while it was the previous iteration of this thread.

You probably approved the probes even.

edit: FWIW I do agree the CDC has been poo poo this pandemic and their mask guidance especially so but I am also not behind making up your own vaccine guidelines

If they were probed then it seems pretty cut and dry? Even leaving aside that this is a reboot of the old thread and not necessarily a direct continuation since that's kind of in the weeds, I've only been a mod a month now :)

I've caught a lot of grief personally for it and will never dump on someone for saying they don't trust the CDC like gospel (assuming their reason isn't totally bananas at least), so I apologize if I read this discussion as potentially veering into other forums behavior being litigated here incorrectly. I personally filed them away in March or April last year when they were bearish on the use of masks and listened instead of the public health bodies of countries that actually contained it, it's unfortunate because lots of good science/people doubtless work there but the messaging was very clearly political and not up to the moment.

It goes hand in hand with other institutions as well, and mostly what I come back to was the briefing that a lot of Senators got in late January about what was coming and the only reaction was to adjust their stock portfolios to "improve in a pandemic" mode

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Apparently Razer's gamer respirator mask for True Gamers and rave kids is actually available now.

https://kotaku.com/attn-bane-razer-s-high-tech-rgb-covid-mask-is-finally-1847910180

Get on it, goons!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Epic High Five posted:

If they were probed then it seems pretty cut and dry? Even leaving aside that this is a reboot of the old thread and not necessarily a direct continuation since that's kind of in the weeds, I've only been a mod a month now :)

I've caught a lot of grief personally for it and will never dump on someone for saying they don't trust the CDC like gospel (assuming their reason isn't totally bananas at least), so I apologize if I read this discussion as potentially veering into other forums behavior being litigated here incorrectly. I personally filed them away in March or April last year when they were bearish on the use of masks and listened instead of the public health bodies of countries that actually contained it, it's unfortunate because lots of good science/people doubtless work there but the messaging was very clearly political and not up to the moment.

It goes hand in hand with other institutions as well, and mostly what I come back to was the briefing that a lot of Senators got in late January about what was coming and the only reaction was to adjust their stock portfolios to "improve in a pandemic" mode

Point is you said if it was done here it's relevant, and it was done here.

It's in the past, and not super relevant right now, but that is what you said.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"it happened a few times and someone got probed for it, so it's relevant" is a very strange way to try to say that something was acceptable thread behavior instead of a swiftly-silenced irregularity.

like, I think I once got (justifiably) probed in here for quoting a long post with a low-effort "im gay," and it would be a weird stretch for someone a few months from now to try to claim that everyone in here was gay in the fall of 2021

I know that this example is dumb and reductive, but... this isn't exactly complex

Edit: more to the point, before I talked to my physician in early August about potentially getting a booster, I asked the same question elsewhere on SA, and I was overwhelmingly and very sternly set back on a straight and narrow path regarding being a solo guinea pig

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 21, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

"it happened a few times and someone got probed for it, so it's relevant" is a very strange way to try to say that something was acceptable thread behavior instead of a swiftly-silenced irregularity.

Some people talked about it for pages.

Didn't say it was acceptable behavior, but you said it didn't happen at all and you're wrong.

Trust me I'm not happy having to defend OOCC here.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
“ I don’t trust the cdc” doesn’t really mean the next best person to trust for medical plans is “twitter”. There are other medical institutions that aren’t just “make up whatever”

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Not a surprise, but

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1451296444451856387?s=20

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jaxyon posted:

Some people talked about it for pages.

Didn't say it was acceptable behavior, but you said it didn't happen at all and you're wrong.

Trust me I'm not happy having to defend OOCC here.

I think I can accept that you and I have kind of worked towards a middle point and mutual understanding here, if we both kinda agree that:
1) Yes, the topic was discussed pretty extensively.
2) No, discussion of new data does not constitute recommendation for action

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's broad enough that it seems like if there were hardly any data on J&J for <18 it'd be a schedule (course?) change instead of a booster

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Epic High Five posted:

That's broad enough that it seems like if there were hardly any data on J&J for <18 it'd be a schedule (course?) change instead of a booster

Perhaps not coincidentally, 8 weeks is right about in that preliminary butter zone for optimal J&J second dose effectiveness.

Tangent: we've been kind of US-centric for a moment, but what's the latest on AstraZeneca effectiveness and boosters?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Perhaps not coincidentally, 8 weeks is right about in that preliminary butter zone for optimal J&J second dose effectiveness.

Tangent: we've been kind of US-centric for a moment, but what's the latest on AstraZeneca effectiveness and boosters?

Canada phased out AZ entirely so all boosters will be mRNA, even if you had two AZ shots.

Looking at the UK it sounds like they are giving AZ boosters, but only for people who cannot get Pfizer/Moderna due to allergies or myocarditis. Most people will be getting an mRNA booster regardless of what their first shot was.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I got a Pfizer booster yesterday, along with a flu shot. Felt kind of groggy earlier today, little sore in both arms though the flu shot arm was worse. But otherwise feelin' fine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Australia's booster program is still only for immunocompromised people etc but we're shutting down local production of AZ and the assumption is we'll be using MRNA stuff from now on (and just Pfizer for now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Australia's booster program is still only for immunocompromised people etc but we're shutting down local production of AZ and the assumption is we'll be using MRNA stuff from now on (and just Pfizer for now).

And meanwhile right next door Papua New Guinea is less than 1% vaccinated