Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, the Battle Axe kinda rules now after the changes. It seems to me like they generally made (some) weapons a lot better at blocking/parrying, like the battle axe can parry Draugrs no problem (basic ones at least, not sure about starred ones) and it's a lot less cumbersome to swing than before. And it hits like a truck, as it should.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Nordick posted:

Man, the Battle Axe kinda rules now after the changes. It seems to me like they generally made (some) weapons a lot better at blocking/parrying, like the battle axe can parry Draugrs no problem (basic ones at least, not sure about starred ones) and it's a lot less cumbersome to swing than before. And it hits like a truck, as it should.

:black101:

I use the Middle attack a lot! It's very stam efficient.

Also 2H axe's can chop down multiple trees with one swing!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m super glad someone at some point mentioned that you can lay down core wood beams for walls instead of just using regular wood walls. Never mind that it can look better from the inside and outside but it’s also great how much higher you can suddenly build by doing that. Going big with your structures before you get stone and iron, which just gathering is still certainly a process, is always a bit frustrating but core wood walls makes it possible.

Also I just ran across a random tip for gathering early a lot of materials easier on YouTube that I’m kind of :thunk:ing about why I didn’t think of it before. The karve only has 4 storage slots and it’s impossible to build a cart in a karve right? Well yes but it’s extremely possible to build a cart on a wooden floor suspended above a karve and then remove the floor and let gravity put the cart into the karve. You have to line it up fairly precisely width wise, the mast needs to be between the cart handles, and the front end of the box needs to be right up against the mast as well so you have room to sit at the rudder but it totally fits.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Kibayasu posted:

I’m super glad someone at some point mentioned that you can lay down core wood beams for walls instead of just using regular wood walls. Never mind that it can look better from the inside and outside but it’s also great how much higher you can suddenly build by doing that. Going big with your structures before you get stone and iron, which just gathering is still certainly a process, is always a bit frustrating but core wood walls makes it possible.

Also I just ran across a random tip for gathering early a lot of materials easier on YouTube that I’m kind of :thunk:ing about why I didn’t think of it before. The karve only has 4 storage slots and it’s impossible to build a cart in a karve right? Well yes but it’s extremely possible to build a cart on a wooden floor suspended above a karve and then remove the floor and let gravity put the cart into the karve. You have to line it up fairly precisely width wise, the mast needs to be between the cart handles, and the front end of the box needs to be right up against the mast as well so you have room to sit at the rudder but it totally fits.

I've heard of people doing this but is there any risk of the cart tipping overboard when the boat gets knocked around?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I've heard of people doing this but is there any risk of the cart tipping overboard when the boat gets knocked around?

I’ve only used it in calm seas so far but it is a pretty tight fit in a karve if you drop it in just right, not much room for it to move in any direction once you’re sitting at the rudder. I’d almost think that’s a greater risk in a longboat. Kind of hilariously as the cart weight increases it starts to affect the pitch of the boat so it will be leaning further and further backward as more goes in.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just used a mod to give the Karve and carts a 5x5 inventory (longboat and more advanced chests 7x7) and was done with it. Unless you're playing on someone's server I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jabarto posted:

This would be my concern given that large waves will happily sweep players off the boat if they are merely standing in it rather than sitting or holding on.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not going to be taking the kartve off to mine iron in distant swamps or something like that, mostly because you only need a bit of iron and other easily teleported materials for a longboat, but for gathering core wood from the shores of the Black Forest its been way better than hoofing a cart there and back.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Hoenstly I was so freaked out by my first serpent encounter (and the literal hours of tedium that my first raft entailed) that I've gone to extreme lengths to avoid sailing whenever possible, even if it means creating giant land bridges with the hoe.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
One of the most exciting and memorable encounters I've had was a serpent, in a storm, while taking damage over time due to the desync bug.

Sailing is good but could be oh-so great. Here's hoping.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Never ever use a raft unless you start on a landmass with literally zero copper and tin.

As for serpents, as long as you have enough arrows, you can deal with a serpent even in a Karve.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Are you laying them down horizontally like a log cabin or standing them up next to each other like... I don't know. If the latter, do they snap, you do you have to build a frame to line everything up?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BrianRx posted:

Are you laying them down horizontally like a log cabin or standing them up next to each other like... I don't know. If the latter, do they snap, you do you have to build a frame to line everything up?

Horizontally yes. I don’t think the vertical poles can snap to each other.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
They don't snap vertically, although now with the 26 and 45 degree core wood beams you can snap herringbone patterns in to your core wood log cabins.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dug into this game with 3 of my friends last night and hoo boy did those 6 hours just evaporate

We're trying to play low spoilers but I did have a question - we just got the forge and are setting about refining enough stuff to get outfitted in bronze. Our camp (on the border of meadow/black forest) gets harrassed each day by waves of the greylings. Is there any way to prevent it? It's hard to get much done when every few minutes we need to stop our exploration to run back to back whoever is fixing up the house/processing craftables.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Dug into this game with 3 of my friends last night and hoo boy did those 6 hours just evaporate

We're trying to play low spoilers but I did have a question - we just got the forge and are setting about refining enough stuff to get outfitted in bronze. Our camp (on the border of meadow/black forest) gets harrassed each day by waves of the greylings. Is there any way to prevent it? It's hard to get much done when every few minutes we need to stop our exploration to run back to back whoever is fixing up the house/processing craftables.

Build some workbenches around your base. Enemies can't spawn within their zone. Also, walls.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Completely walling off your base and making it so enemies outside can't see your you or your workbenches/smelters usually curtails their aggression to a manageable level. Before I did it at every base it was just a constant stream of enemies in every biome. You can also dig out trenches around your base that enemies can't cross but I've never really found the need to.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah the most basic thing is to just build some fuckin walls. My biggest main base i had stone walls with towers every little bit that had workbenches in them to stop spawns.

You're still gonna get invasions periodically though, and being next to Black Forest means a plurality of trolls so lol

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Spiky fences can also provide entertainment on those slow evenings. I'll never get tired of dudes just running into them over and over.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not a Children posted:

The Black Forest constantly spawns greydwarves while you’re in the vicinity and enemies tend to wander toward players even if they aren’t aware of you yet so being right on the border will do that. Even more spawn will at night. As mentioned walls will help.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Not a Children posted:

Also, not an answer to your question, but a piece of advice. Work on upgrading troll hide armour rather than crafting bronze armour. Bronze is a pain to craft and you're better off using it for weapons /furniture/boats/crafting station upgrades.

Maxed out troll armour is the same as first or second level bronze armour, but without the speed debuff, and you get a stealth bonus.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
New dev update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3061877729280651184

Mistlands is getting a big facelift for its implementation and mountains are getting some love. Proper caves, finally?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That looks cool, I'm loving stoked

EDIT: Maybe I'll finally get around to actually finding and killing the Plains boss before this hits, lol

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
Looks like ice caves to me. I’d love to see mountain trolls! One more reason to poo poo my pants on a silver run.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

sinburger posted:

Also, not an answer to your question, but a piece of advice. Work on upgrading troll hide armour rather than crafting bronze armour. Bronze is a pain to craft and you're better off using it for weapons /furniture/boats/crafting station upgrades.

Maxed out troll armour is the same as first or second level bronze armour, but without the speed debuff, and you get a stealth bonus.

Appreciate this!

Encircled our camp in fences and it fixed all of our problems. Thanks all for the advice

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Correction; MAXED troll armor which requires you to trip up mountains at least once is equal to iron armor 1.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Valtonen posted:

Correction; MAXED troll armor which requires you to trip up mountains at least once is equal to iron armor 1.

He said bronze armour, but point taken.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Yea Im just noting that trollhide is both easier to get and more useful than either bronze or iron armor until you are swimming in ingots. Silver is about the armor/enemy tier where the damage reduction gets more useful than the harm from speed debuff and ingot cost.

Smurfs for the win.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 23, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Silver is also almost entirely used on weapons/armor, unlike bronze/iron which are used in a lot of crafting/building pieces, so there's not an opportunity cost to fully upgrading a silver set. Unless I'm mistaken, there's only one non-weapon/armor recipe that uses silver and it only requires 2 bars.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

Valtonen posted:

Yea Im just noting that trollhide is both easier to get and more useful than either bronze or iron armor until you are swimming in ingots. Silver is about the armor/enemy tier where the damage reduction gets more useful than the harm from speed debuff and ingot cost.

Smurfs for the win.

Honestly, I had so much iron it was embarassing (swamp with 15+ crypts 2 min boatride from my spawn) and a fully-maxed iron set + shield means you can skip silver and go straight to padded. It also lets you cakewalk the swamps/mountains, and carefully make headway into the plains. I got a lot of mileage out of going Troll tier 3 -> Iron Tier 4 -> Padded Tier 4.

If you're sparse on iron, different story I suppose. Some people hit a resource wall with silver too.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Firebert posted:

New dev update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3061877729280651184

Mistlands is getting a big facelift for its implementation and mountains are getting some love. Proper caves, finally?

I hope they are not instanced/portals like dungeons and troll caves. Otherwise the concept looks great.

Installed epic loot mod, and my input lag and framerate took a severe nosedive.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 23, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

I hope they are not instanced/portals like dungeons and troll caves. Otherwise the concept looks great

They will be instanced, the devs have said they do not want to create caves you can build in. What's wrong with the instanced dungeons and troll caves, though?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Reik posted:

They will be instanced, the devs have said they do not want to create caves you can build in. What's wrong with the instanced dungeons and troll caves, though?

Dunno, I kind of prefer a more smooth transition, and seeing if there is a troll there near the entrance before heading in. Also the portal mechanic lends to cheezing the fights. Hop in, shoot/swing hop out, heal up, rinse repeat.

I would ask why building in caves would be bad. Just make them more susceptible to monster attacks.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 23, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hasselblad posted:

would ask why building in caves would be bad. Just make them more susceptible to monster attacks.

It doesn't fit ~my vision~

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

It doesn't fit ~my vision~

Maybe I'm just ruined by Elder Scrolls modding but has there ever been an instance where people making a big about "the developers' vision" wasn't an excuse for stupid decisions that nobody wanted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can their terrain engine even do overhangs? I thought it was a simple heightmap.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

The terrain engine is a height map yeah. Closest you can do right now is to dig out a space underneath one of the stones that’s a distinct object. It works OK but you can’t make grand dwarves halls or nothing. Does count as shelter tho.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Dunno, I kind of prefer a more smooth transition, and seeing if there is a troll there near the entrance before heading in. Also the portal mechanic lends to cheezing the fights. Hop in, shoot/swing hop out, heal up, rinse repeat.

I would ask why building in caves would be bad. Just make them more susceptible to monster attacks.

Yeah, I do think cheezing is an issue. Maybe something like you can't enter if you've attacked within a couple seconds?

I don't know how you would make events work with a cave, I don't think you can?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Giving up hope with epic loot. Installed the BepInEx, installed Extended Items, installed epic loot:
Horrible frame rate and input lag.

Reinstalled the entire game fresh, ran great. Installed the addons, runs like poop.

May be time for a graphics card update, or just not use mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

This motherfucker has been standing there in the water for actual in-game months and I have no idea why he hasn't despawned. He always tries to throw stones at me when I pass, but I don't have the heart to kill him either. He's just such a fixture by now.

EDIT: TFW Moder's spawn is closer to the start than The Elder's.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 25, 2021