Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Star posted:

The noble crisis kicked off but like I can’t seem to join up anywhere and nothing appears to have changes in any of the cities? Is it because I haven’t done the noble ambition?

Pretty much. You need to be able to take noble contracts to join the noble war. Though you could always control click one side you don't like to make them hostile outside of contracts, and just join the brawl at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Yeah if I wanted rotate I'd probably drop lone wolf on my tanks.

It's not an always thing, it's another line of defense and when your tanks are already pushing mdef super high the boost is actually really good. Going from 10 to 15 mdef is good but not super noticable. 30 to 35 is huge and 45 to 50 or higher is real numbers that make real differences.

Again it's not force it, it's more license to be a bit more free because if he does get separated, my tank just gets a huge boost right when it matters most.

Also 9 lives is pretty underrated. It's a great perk on early fodder bros who you get with poor HP, colossus isn't going to help on some 40hp trash, but 9 lives is a guaranteed extra hit from any weapon in the game.

I could also see a case for it in late game, though I don't use it myself, where it's value comes from knowing your guy on 45hp can take at least 1 more hit guaranteed from that chosen with an axe. Nothing else gives you that. Without 9 lives, you have to sit there and decide if you want to take the gamble, he might take a hit and come out fine, he might not. 9 lives, until it triggers you know for sure. Which has value.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

About what amount of Mattack do i start weening the beginner bros off of spears and start giving them other weapons types?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Shame Boy posted:

About what amount of Mattack do i start weening the beginner bros off of spears and start giving them other weapons types?

I usually graduate them to swords at around 55-60 and other weapons at 65-70

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Wafflecopper posted:

I usually graduate them to swords at around 55-60 and other weapons at 65-70

This, below 60 you want spears, below 70 but above 60 is sword range and then over 70 you want to be using a real weapon that can hurt someome through armor (axe, mace, hammer)

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
You can also start to work in flails around the 60-70 range, while they may not give a flat + aim bonus they do ignore shield defense bonuses which is typically an effective +15% chance to hit on any shielded enemy, who are super common in the early game. Lots of early game enemies also have a decent chance of not wearing any head armor or just trash farmer hats so the flail secondary attack can smash them for a ton of damage as well as roll on the extremely nice blunt head injury table (every option here is nice and 3/4 are devastating). Also helps that military flails are typically the easiest tier 3 weapon to find as well

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I keep telling myself i'll change my flail bro over to a real weapon and he just keeps on krumpin' heads.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Flails work well until you start hitting orc warriors, barbarian chosen, and the better armored ancient dead & noble armies. Which means flails work pretty much as long as you would need them to.

They wreck your bread and butter raiders and zombies though so they're worth using for a longer time than swords and spears, just with less utility than either. Consider giving flailmen a dagger and net to swap to when you run into armored walls.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

One additional drawback to flails is how much stam they use. Not at my pc but it's roughly 15 for a normal swing (30 for two) or 25 for the headshot (50 for two).

So give them to guys with lots of stam to spare and probably take a moment to think about their usage. They stam out fast, even early game.

If you're making a guy for quick hands though, keeping something else back pocket again really helps. It also keeps them relevant for longer with the flail as they can bring out a mace or something should you face a group where the fail looks dodgy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My flail guy is always my dedicated armour stealer guy, so he gets the cool daggers too. I build them like dumb idiots that I can replace later and they always end up surviving way into late game, its dumb.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Broken Box posted:

Flails work well until you start hitting orc warriors, barbarian chosen, and the better armored ancient dead & noble armies. Which means flails work pretty much as long as you would need them to.

They wreck your bread and butter raiders and zombies though so they're worth using for a longer time than swords and spears, just with less utility than either. Consider giving flailmen a dagger and net to swap to when you run into armored walls.

Almost everyone should have a dagger and a net in their pockets ASAP

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What does the net do besides immobilize?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Reduces stats. Makes a god teir enemy much safer to deal with.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It also encourages them to spend their ap on breaking free instead of attacking which can be a big help. Nets own.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

rideANDxORdie posted:

Almost everyone should have a dagger and a net in their pockets ASAP

For me everybody has a dagger and a bandage. Nets are fine but I always forget to use them, whereas bandages can literally be life and death and I don't want somebody to bleed out because the guy with the bandage went after them in the turn order.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I finally got my entire crew in 200+ armor and helmets (except my ranged guys) and I’m amazed how much sturdier they are. They also look a lot cooler, especially my 2H sword guy who wears a fallen hero’s helmet. My plan now is to finish up the noble crisis and then attempt some of the more difficult holds.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just wondering - how feasible would it be to take the Lone Wolf start, then go down south and make a killing in the arenas? Just a battle per day, hiring a couple of gladiators/bastards/hedge knights or whatever, to make up the core of the company?
Then once they're all experienced and you have a load of cash, just start filling out the roster and moving about as normal, I guess. (Maybe coming back occasionally for more arena matches. Probably with 1-2 vets and however many less-experienced bros, just to get them some more xp etc)

I dunno. I've only done one arena match with my current beast slayer origin. Fought against two hyenas, which went well enough. I assume they can get a lot tougher, though!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Major Isoor posted:

I dunno. I've only done one arena match with my current beast slayer origin. Fought against two hyenas, which went well enough. I assume they can get a lot tougher, though!

Oh yes, absolutely. Even just a second match is a bump up to more lethal. I fought 3 of the tougher nomad type enemies in there and they do not gently caress around. Took many a save scum to win that one, definitely overestimated my men and went in too early.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Just wondering - how feasible would it be to take the Lone Wolf start, then go down south and make a killing in the arenas? Just a battle per day, hiring a couple of gladiators/bastards/hedge knights or whatever, to make up the core of the company?
Then once they're all experienced and you have a load of cash, just start filling out the roster and moving about as normal, I guess. (Maybe coming back occasionally for more arena matches. Probably with 1-2 vets and however many less-experienced bros, just to get them some more xp etc)

you'd probably get creamed if u just took a base lvl 4 lone wolf to tackle the arena by themselves. you'd definitely want some chaff at least.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ShootaBoy posted:

Oh yes, absolutely. Even just a second match is a bump up to more lethal. I fought 3 of the tougher nomad type enemies in there and they do not gently caress around. Took many a save scum to win that one, definitely overestimated my men and went in too early.

The difficulty of the arena fight is highly random and doesn't seem tied much if at all to anything. AFAIK you could fight a famed gladiator in the first like 30 days of your campaign even though you won't have anybody with more than the minimum %5 chance to hit them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hah, maybe I'd better shelve the idea then, for now! :v: Seems like I must've gotten lucky with my matchup, then assumed that the early weeks must be rigged to be tame(ish)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Count Uvula posted:

The difficulty of the arena fight is highly random and doesn't seem tied much if at all to anything. AFAIK you could fight a famed gladiator in the first like 30 days of your campaign even though you won't have anybody with more than the minimum %5 chance to hit them.

Interesting. My first fights, when I do the arena anyway, have all been a pair of hyenas, so I assumed the first was somewhat fixed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The first fight seems fixed, after that its a crapshoot.

I think you should get a losers fee, personally. Let me throw in this lovely cannon thief if i want.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

One interesting aspect of the desert in connection to the lone wolf start are the indebted though. Once you got your boi to level 11 and some cash on hand you can hire a group of indebted (which don't get daily wages), get them a few levels fighting thugs and then use them to fight & dagger raider groups for gear and more cash. Having indebted die isn't a big deal because you can always go back and hire more. I did that during my current lone wolf game and I'm closing in on day 50 with 20k cash on hand but the game is being an rear end in a top hat and does not want to spawn good recruits to transition out of the indebted crew

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

One interesting aspect of the desert in connection to the lone wolf start are the indebted though. Once you got your boi to level 11 and some cash on hand you can hire a group of indebted (which don't get daily wages), get them a few levels fighting thugs and then use them to fight & dagger raider groups for gear and more cash. Having indebted die isn't a big deal because you can always go back and hire more. I did that during my current lone wolf game and I'm closing in on day 50 with 20k cash on hand but the game is being an rear end in a top hat and does not want to spawn good recruits to transition out of the indebted crew

Couldn't you do the same with any of the low-tier backgrounds?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

Couldn't you do the same with any of the low-tier backgrounds?

Sure, though indebted don't have daily wages and they don't cause morale checks for your other bros when they die, which is convenient if that's their job.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Bleu posted:

Sure, though indebted don't have daily wages and they don't cause morale checks for your other bros when they die, which is convenient if that's their job.

Is that no-morale checks thing unique to playing a Manhunters origin? For that matter, is their Level 7 cap applied outside Manhunters?

I've never recruited any Indebted. They're definitely as good as some other cheapo origins, I just like having a company of free men.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

No, and no. You can also fire them for free without hurting the feelings of any non-indebted.

They're pretty much whatever - with their terrible Resolve and Health, plus an inability to get any stars in those, they'll always sorta suck. You're not missing much unless you were looking for someone to merk for Davkul.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Bleu posted:

No, and no. You can also fire them for free without hurting the feelings of any non-indebted.

They're pretty much whatever - with their terrible Resolve and Health, plus an inability to get any stars in those, they'll always sorta suck. You're not missing much unless you were looking for someone to merk for Davkul.

It would be cool if they had an option to manumit (ie free) your Indebted. Get a randomised Resolve boost and then have to start paying them wages. Maybe a randomised roll to see if they just gently caress off immediately.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Genghis Cohen posted:

It would be cool if they had an option to manumit (ie free) your Indebted. Get a randomised Resolve boost and then have to start paying them wages. Maybe a randomised roll to see if they just gently caress off immediately.

Don't quote me on this, but I swear I've had a random event that had a long serving indebted like, demand freedom, and one of the options started paying him. The ability to manually do it would be sick, cause I get a lot of good use out of indebted.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I mean you can just roleplay on your own that surviving and getting released is their ticket to freedom :v:

Bleu already explained it but yeah the unique mechanics around indebted are the point. Not paying wages early on makes a small but not insignificant difference with raising a cash stack for your first real hiring spree. And them not causing morale checks on death prevents your real hires from getting morale issues while you build your group and do fights. It's not some sort of pro-strat but just a different way to play the origin which turns out to be pretty solid.

Bleu posted:

To me it feels like they are in this weird sweet spot where they're not quite fodder but also not long-term material. In the lone wolf scenario I use them as defensive 1h+shield bots that mostly serve to tie up the enemy while the wolf does most of the killing. I raise their MA to 60 for spears and daggering and only go beyond with a star and good rolls. They also get Mdef because they need to hold out as long as they can. Taking +1 rolls there always feels bad but they need to get to 10+ asap. Health and resolve are big weak spots but can be worked around. I get their health to 50 and give them colossus which makes them just tough enough to survive a bad sequence of turns. Morale goes to 30 and maybe to 40 if I get blessed with a few max rolls but not more. It shouldn't be an issue if you can dodge ghosts until you've found a solid banner bro. I was actually surprised with how decent indebted perform in that specific type of early strategy once they get a few levels and trading the lives of indebted with bad stats for worn mail shirts is okay with me too

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 23, 2021

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I hope the lot of you vicious bastards are proud that your enthusiasm for this game has caused me to relapse and start a new campaign.

Took me a solid hour to remember what nuances I knew in the first place and I still had to restart after taking 6 lvl 2-3 bros against a dozen undead auxiliaries because I couldn't remember whether "lots" was more or less than "many."

May you all burp in polite company.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It took me 55 hours to finally beat my first (noble) crisis. I decided to throw in my lot with one of the houses and made a killing burning stuff down and fighting patrols. Overall pretty happy with my gang who had no real problem annihilating the noble armies. I think I'm going to retire them and give them a well-earned break and maybe try either one of the other starts or a harder difficulty.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still need to replace my bannerdude because he has only like, 80 resolve. Then I realised that he's also got the -10 modifier and that he's basically been doing nothing for ages. :doh:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

I do find that really good banners are so hard to find, doubly so if you want a front line banner.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, in my defence he's pretty good at stabbing things with it, but you know, resolve is nice.

I've just noticed i've not seen a geist this entire game though and i'm late into the undead crisis.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I think I've never played with a banner in the front because why?

Depending on the bro I sometimes build my banner to be tanky and give them rotation for emergency swaps but it's not a core strategy for me. I usually roll on every beast slayer I come across for my banner because their base morale is 43-50 with Matt between 52-62 and their events are cool and good too. Pretty rare to find though

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Cultist banner bro's for me. Mostly because the idea of them screaming intelligibly while urging everyone forward is very funny to me.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

I think I've never played with a banner in the front because why?

Depending on the bro I sometimes build my banner to be tanky and give them rotation for emergency swaps but it's not a core strategy for me. I usually roll on every beast slayer I come across for my banner because their base morale is 43-50 with Matt between 52-62 and their events are cool and good too. Pretty rare to find though

I like then front because a guy with a hammer or whatever is generally impactful but not usually critical. Backline however is the highest single target dps in the game so compromising there Always seems bad to me. Though I often have to cause finding a good front banner is hard.

Also a front banner should have some good defense and can also have utility as a bit of an offtank/saviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I like then front because a guy with a hammer or whatever is generally impactful but not usually critical. Backline however is the highest single target dps in the game so compromising there Always seems bad to me. Though I often have to cause finding a good front banner is hard.

Also a front banner should have some good defense and can also have utility as a bit of an offtank/saviour.

I'm the opposite - I find that an ideal backline guy is relatively easy to find and synergises very well with a Bannerman. You need MAttack and Fatigue for a swordlancer, that's it. Add Resolve and he's a bannerman, you only need Rally+Fortified Mind, which supports you taking Fearsome anyway. If you are super focussed on the banner you can take Quick Hands, but it's hardly necessary as I only ever take a banner in undead fights, and then I just replace the swordlance/billhook before combat. I think backline polearm guys are one of the only builds that have the perks spare to make a bannerman. Frontline bros need the perks, what would they give up for Rally+Fortified mind?