Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’ve heard the “how old are you” for very young children and teasingly for people up there in years. I’ve never heard the counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Jay Rust posted:

Reading the Happy Birthday to You article in Wikipedia, and

I have never heard of this in my life, do any of you have any experience with this dumb, apparently-Canadian tradition?

That whole section on traditional variations is completely unsourced and is most likely just something that some editor put in because they heard it a few times. I would delete it but the article is semi-protected and I can't be bothered to log in.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Usually it goes "how old are you now..." then everyone laughs at the funny joke of continuing the birthday song and it stops

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jay Rust posted:

Reading the Happy Birthday to You article in Wikipedia, and

I have never heard of this in my life, do any of you have any experience with this dumb, apparently-Canadian tradition?

My Chinese-Canadian neighbours' kids were doing it last Monday, quite loudly. So yes, someone does it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just the how old are you now. No numbers. Source: Manitoba. Circa 1990’s. Winter months usually. Maybe in the summer it’d come out more. Locations: McDonald’s. Never a backyard. Bombers must have had an ok season. Parents maybe fighting but putting a smile on for others. Average grades were usually a precursor to singing the bonus content.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I heard the "how old are you now" thing so frequently I'm surprised to learn it's a Canadian affectation. Definitely heard the counting thing before, though I can't remember where or when. Daycare, maybe?

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Just the how old are you now. No numbers. Source: Manitoba. Circa 1990’s. Winter months usually. Maybe in the summer it’d come out more. Locations: McDonald’s. Never a backyard. Bombers must have had an ok season. Parents maybe fighting but putting a smile on for others. Average grades were usually a precursor to singing the bonus content.

:hmmyes:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I've lived in Toronto my whole life and the counting thing was done at parties when I was kid. Sometimes people start to do it as a joke at adult parties.

In other news, lol at the Sun's cover this morning. It even has the ring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've lived in Toronto my whole life and the counting thing was done at parties when I was kid. Sometimes people start to do it as a joke at adult parties.

BRB, stealing this one for the cursed images thread.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Meanwhile in Saskatchewan…

https://twitter.com/drhassoun/status/1450964261258268672?s=21

https://twitter.com/patrickmaze/status/1451173693883748357?s=21

Moe has hosed over the province hard. He spent the summer appeasing the vocal anti-Vax minority and now our health care system has essentially collapsed. He put off asking for federal help as long as he could, and he cancelled ICU transfers to Ontario because it made him look bad.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mr. Apollo posted:

That is 100% intentional.

What with the ring, and that's not how you'd grip a note to pull on it. Amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought that the QR code for Ontario was supposed to work double time so I don't need to show photo ID and proof of vaccination and they just scan my code.

Seems that's not the case, which makes me wonder what's the point of the QR code if I'm still showing ID and proof of Vax.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arc Hammer posted:

I thought that the QR code for Ontario was supposed to work double time so I don't need to show photo ID and proof of vaccination and they just scan my code.

Seems that's not the case, which makes me wonder what's the point of the QR code if I'm still showing ID and proof of Vax.

The point is that it’s actually confirming your vaccination status with a government server and not just showing an easily faked piece of paper. When scanned, if it’s a valid code, it pops up your name and DOB to be checked against your id to make sure it’s actually your code and not just some random other person’s you copied. I’m not sure how else you’d do it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arc Hammer posted:

Just guessing but the app probably connects to the vaccine database not the ohip database so they're not able to pull down your card picture, the thing was developed pretty quickly so that's probably for the best.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
With ours, you still need ID to confirm the name and date of birth displayed by the scanner app, but you don't also need your original proof-of-vaccination card.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The Verify Ontario app doesn't go online - it was built so it can be used anywhere, including places lacking a good or existing internet connection. All the QR code provides is vaccination status, name, and DOB. They still need to compare that with a piece of ID.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just annoyed me this morning when I went to the gym. Province told Goodlife they had to ditch the Fast Pass system so it's now slower to get through the gate

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

regarding the "how old are you now?" thing, that happened off and on when I was a kid (central Alberta) and the counting "are ya 1, are ya 2, etc." happened maybe 3 times, all before the age of 10.

know what happens 90% of the time after someone sings Happy Birthday? Someone (maybe a couple people) will continue with "and many more"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Aces High posted:

regarding the "how old are you now?" thing, that happened off and on when I was a kid (central Alberta) and the counting "are ya 1, are ya 2, etc." happened maybe 3 times, all before the age of 10.

know what happens 90% of the time after someone sings Happy Birthday? Someone (maybe a couple people) will continue with "and many more"

Yeah, in interior BC and later AB, I've never heard the number thing, but I have frequently heard "and many more."

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

“How old are you now” happened all the time for me, but only in French (I did not know there was an English version at all until this very moment). French immersion in BC (northern and coastal), the kids in the program would sing this at non-immersion kids’ parties too. :shrug:

Ed. Oh man it’s flooding back. We also sang https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_du_pays and also the English “you look like a monkey” parody. Every party was like, four cacophonous songs minimum.

kaom fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 21, 2021

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
As another central Alberta type, I never, ever, heard the 'and how old are you now etc' bit in my life, be it via family from small town or city, friends, acquaintances, anyone. This thread was the first time I've ever heard of it in my life.

'and many mooore' was fairly common, though. Clearly not part of the original song, but a generally accepted 'improvisation'.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Central Alberta here, yes we had how old are you now? growing up. I think the counting only happened once in my life or someone tried to start it and failed to get us all on board because we all wanted to hurry up and have cake.

E: and many more was more common though.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I've never heard the how old are you now and as such consider you my enemies

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Assuming they're like the BC one whose spec was posted like a month ago, all the data's in the QR code, that's why they're so big. The app can ask a server to cryptographically verify that the QR code was issued by a recognized health authority, which prevents you or me from making our own QR code with (possibly bogus) data. If you're offline, you can't do that verification, but the data's still usable.

If you want some assurance that the verified-to-be-from-a-health-authority QR code actually matches the person standing in front of you, you can compare the QR code's data with their photo ID.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

This "how old are you now" stuff is like elf on a shelf. It's apparently some beloved tradition that I've never really been exposed to, and the first time I head of both I felt like I was in an episode of Sliders.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pokeyman posted:

Assuming they're like the BC one whose spec was posted like a month ago, all the data's in the QR code, that's why they're so big. The app can ask a server to cryptographically verify that the QR code was issued by a recognized health authority, which prevents you or me from making our own QR code with (possibly bogus) data. If you're offline, you can't do that verification, but the data's still usable.

If you want some assurance that the verified-to-be-from-a-health-authority QR code actually matches the person standing in front of you, you can compare the QR code's data with their photo ID.

The Ontario vaccination QR code is signed with the Ontario Health private key, the verification app also has the public key and can check against it (it doesn't need a live connection for this, just a copy of the public key). If it doesn't validate you get a warning saying so. There's still nothing there that verifies it's your vaccination status, so of course they need photo ID that matches the name and DOB in the QR code.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 22, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Alctel posted:

That is 100% intentional.

What with the ring, and that's not how you'd grip a note to pull on it. Amazing.
And the background is all red.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Speaking of beloved traditions that are in absolutely no way traditions in other parts of the country:

It's almost Halloween, which in Vancouver means setting off poo poo tons of fireworks.... except that Vancouver finally banned it this year. Gonna be interesting to see whether people actually abide by this or have sneakily found some grey market source to buy fireworks and will be setting off fireworks nonetheless.

Normally around this time a bunch of otherwise empty storefronts would have been taken over as fireworks popup shops with gaudy enormous FIREWORKS signs. Not so this year.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
You can still verify your vaccine status with the piece of paper if you don't have a phone right?

Calumanjaro fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 21, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Calumanjaro posted:

You can still verify your vaccine status with the piece of paper if you don't have a phone right?

In BC you need to have the QR code, the card immunization record isn’t acceptable any more. You can print the QR code out though.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sexual-misconduct-military-senior-leaders-dnd-caf-1.6218683

lol

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

How do you reform something so absolutely broken and rotted to the core.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The list goes on and on and on and it's all top brass wtf

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
why do we have a military again

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Who else would take the Dane's schnapps and replace it with rye?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

I built a spreadsheet to track all this but I'm glad CBC could lay it all out for me to pick up the one I've missed. Some other notable cases:

Cpl Casey Burnel: faced administrative reprisal after reporting sexual misconduct (his case went to Gen Vance, who sided with the Chain of Command)
LCol Elanor Taylor: A high-profile female officer that left due to how rampant misconduct was in the CF
LCol Bernie Boland: Stood up for a former female colleague, and faced a DND-backed smear campaign
Avr Emily Tulloch: Raped on month into Basic Training. Her Military Police interview allegedly felt more like an interrogation.
Krystina MacLean: A DND civilian who was suspended after reporting misconduct

And that's just the sexual misconduct related stuff that's made the news in 2021. BGen Simon Bernard was taken off the Vaccine Rollout for saying the n-word, 3 days after MGen Dany Fortin was removed. 2021's been a great year for our uniformed members.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pleads posted:

Who else would take the Dane's schnapps and replace it with rye?

Savvy Inuit?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fart Amplifier posted:

This "how old are you now" stuff is like elf on a shelf. It's apparently some beloved tradition that I've never really been exposed to, and the first time I head of both I felt like I was in an episode of Sliders.

Elf on the Shelf was invented out of whole cloth in TYOOL 2004 to sell elf dolls.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

infernal machines posted:

The Ontario vaccination QR code is signed with the Ontario Health public key, the verification app also has the public key and can check against it (it doesn't need a live connection for this, just a copy of the public key). If it doesn't validate you get a warning saying so. There's still nothing there that verifies it's your vaccination status, so of course they need photo ID that matches the name and DOB in the QR code.

Right, that makes sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

How do you reform something so absolutely broken and rotted to the core.

Yeah I wish I could say this was just a case of powerful higher-ups - essentially politicians - doing this. But even at the ground floor there's at minimum rampant infidelity and womanizing. One of the reasons I left.