Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I found that turning your camp icon to a pumpkin helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I had that problem for a while today at my regular camp. I've had my second camp down next to the fissure prime site for a while now, so turned that on. It's just 4 stories of floors and stairs, a bunker entrance, a vending machine, stash box, tinker bench and some turrets. And my candy bowl now.

Drop a nuke and part of the horde of people coming for the queen will swing by for the convenience of a crafting bench and stash box, and to snatch up some candy.

It's a pain in the rear end nailing down a good spot to set up a camp down there, because everyone pitches tents or the APCs down there and they will block your camp coming into a full server.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I feel like I'm utterly jammed behind lead and screws :mad:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Flesh Forge posted:

I feel like I'm utterly jammed behind lead and screws :mad:

Screws are a pain and will be for awhile. Lead is easily fixed by picking up every empty can, paint, pencil, rat poison, battery, or children's toy. Those items are plentiful.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
This is a great game if you like acting like the equivalent of a random event for folks.

Walking up to people and dropping a Nukashine is always good. Poor kid I did it too last night straight up had fear in his voice when he realized what it was I was giving him, so he must have had a bad destination.

Alternatively, giving folks the gift of nuka grenades (With 2x grenadier perk) means that you can project massive explosions anywhere. Me and two or three other people rocked up to the Queen in Cranberry bog during a rare instance where the massive number of players were losing and we caused a minor freak out amongst one of them. Dude just started screaming "I CAN'T SEE poo poo, EVERYTHING IS WHITE!" in a hysterical tone of voice due to us just carpet nuking the place to the point where anyone that looked at the Queen got blinded by a white and orange flare from the multitude of explosions for two straight minutes.

Game's good if you like chaos like that, is what i'm saying.

Edit: Also, if you want to be OP, get the Nuka-tron Collectron. The ability to heal for hundreds of HP, get AP, and get stat buffs at all times is nothing to laugh at. Doubly so since it can give Grape, which is the highest healing thing in the game (Like 2000 HP and multiple full bars of AP plus total removal of multiple bars worth of rads to the point where it acts as an extended and all around superior rad away that has like a full minute length instead.) by far with the right perks. As a bonus, all those nuka cola's can be converted into grenades in a pinch. Quantum's and basic nuka grenades are basically tactical nukes that don't require lugging mininukes, which are so heavy that you can't just spam them like the nuka grenades due to the in game weight limitations.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 21, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Screws are a pain and will be for awhile. Lead is easily fixed by picking up every empty can, paint, pencil, rat poison, battery, or children's toy. Those items are plentiful.

I'm getting to the point where I enjoy the game now but wow there are some really bad newbie traps in this game. Mainly conserve the poo poo out of screws, don't wear metal armor etc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm getting to the point where I enjoy the game now but wow there are some really bad newbie traps in this game. Mainly conserve the poo poo out of screws, don't wear metal armor etc.

Yeah you have to go in with the mindset that everything is disposable until you hit 50. That beginner hump is what kills people's interest.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
For lead, the best thing is to know where some weights (of the lifting kind) are. For example there's a small weight room in the Flatwoods Motel that can have several hundred pounds of lead weights in it. Although that only contains a fraction of that in useable lead scrap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
those would frequently be ransacked by other players

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

7c Nickel posted:

For lead, the best thing is to know where some weights (of the lifting kind) are. For example there's a small weight room in the Flatwoods Motel that can have several hundred pounds of lead weights in it. Although that only contains a fraction of that in useable lead scrap.

The best lead source by far is still lucky hole mine. Bring an excavator PA.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

those would frequently be ransacked by other players

Yeah out of about 20 checks of various sites I had looked up/found I scored exactly one time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

lost my retainer posted:

The best lead source by far is still lucky hole mine. Bring an excavator PA.

For ore, sure. I don't feel like running an acid farm to smelt it though, so I have a lead extractor in my regularly used camp's foundation. I'll farm the nuke sites, monorail elevator, prison yard, fire department and university pretty quick in an empty server though, using scrap kits to send the poo poo back to my stash box.

Lead is a small pain in the rear end. Stable cobalt flux is what is annoying me right now.

If you're farming the nuke silo (sites alpha, bravo, charlie) gyms for lead, just kill every robot defending the joint. Half drop 1-3 lead scrap.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 21, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Just in case this isn't common knowledge, if you've bought the Hellcat Jetpack plan you can actually put a Jetpack on any Excavator PA Torso.

Angry Turtle felt the need to blab about this and I assume that now that it's out in the open it will get patched very soon, so if you know the Hellcat plan, go get yourselves some future Legacy Excavator Jetpack torsos.

And in case you're wondering, whenever that happened in the past, Beth didn't remove the already existing pieces so I don't see why this time should be any different.

The plan is 3k Gold, though, so if you haven't got it and lack the funds you can always ask a friend to craft you a piece since, for now, the PA pieces with one are tradable.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 23, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the whole perk card collecting thing can suck my rear end

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

the whole perk card collecting thing can suck my rear end

How so?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

- it lets you take cards past maximum usable without warning you
- if you cap a stat you can no longer draw cards for that stat
- what is the point of giving you access to multiple perk loadouts at level 25 when you don't have perk cards to make another build with unless you are extremely lucky

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

2) You can pick a stat and then pick a card from another stat.
3) You will get a lot of cards as eventually you'll be turning extra ones into perk points.

Once you hit lvl 50 you get to pick any card you want since you're maxed out on SPECIAL points and you can move points around freely now, which is a *lot* better than how it was before.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

- it lets you take cards past maximum usable without warning you
- if you cap a stat you can no longer draw cards for that stat
- what is the point of giving you access to multiple perk loadouts at level 25 when you don't have perk cards to make another build with unless you are extremely lucky

1) You'll be thankful for the past the maximum bit once you start upgrading Legendary perks.

2) That's a fascinatingly common mistake.

You CAN purchase whatever perk card you want, assuming you have unlocked it AND have level ups available.

Just go into your SPECIAL screen, go to for example Intelligence, and it will tell you at the bottom of the screen which button you should push to buy another card. There is no limit beyond how many perk cards you can upgrade. You can only have 1 of each of the 2* - 5* ones but you can have unlimited 1* cards.

3) Level 25 is really not the point where you should bother with perk loadouts. Do that once you hit 50 and have access to all of them as the most important ones come pretty late anyways.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

okay but level 25 is when it's given to you. and yes I kind of realized already the system is oriented towards the chronics with immense time sunk into single characters. it is a very bad new player experience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I played before loadouts were added, but the thing I hated most about perk cards was swapping between passives, especially for crafting (and or forgetting to swap back).

It's an inherent flaw of the system, but I'm guessing loadouts make it much less painful.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I spent the free atoms I got leveling on an extra perk loadout and extra camp slot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Haha they sell that poo poo for atoms? gently caress bethesda. It really was a slippery slope.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They do start you off with multiple at least.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

2 of each. I got a third SPECIAL loadout because I wanted a quick 'loving around with my CAMP' setup. Just wish it remembered the shared perk.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah, the character leveling system is still just awful. Starting a new Fallout 76 character with a 1 in every SPECIAL category and no perks (and no way to have total control of what perks you get as you level up) feels terrible, and the in-game resources do a poor job of explaining the leveling system (like how some cards are level-gated, that you can pick perks different than your attribute upgrade, allowing players to see a list of all possible perk cards to plan their build, etc.)

Imagine playing a tabletop RPG where instead of going through a normal character creation, everybody just roleplays as a random villager for 30 hours before they slowly wind up with what a normal Level 1 character is in D&D.

The issue with passive perk cards vs active perk cards is also crazy, especially since their apparent solution was just to make Legendary Perks that require an incredible grind to level up but finally let you ignore game mechanics like hacking & lockpicking. It's not like an MMO where there's a trading/crafting community that's separate from PvPers or PvEers, the core gameplay loop of Fallout 76 requires everybody to craft, kill, build, etc. which are all supported by different perks.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Some of the individual perks are neat, but yeah I hope this particular variant of the system gets dunked into the recycle bin.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Haha they sell that poo poo for atoms? gently caress bethesda. It really was a slippery slope.

I've gotten something like 3000 atoms just playing, I don't think it's a really big deal but I have zero urge to buy any of the CAMP or cosmetic stuff either.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
You get 2 camp slots and 2 loadout slots out of the box.

I have one loadout for my Stealth Commando, 1 for my Heavy PA.

Imo, that's enough. There aren't enough decent builds and if I feel like going Rifleman, Gunslinger or Melee I can easily convert one of the two since most of the special stats are identical anyways.

Heavy PA is a backup Melee.
Commando is backup Rifleman/Gunslinger.

If I didn't have to pay 1 Perk Coin everytime I want to swap out a Legendary Perk I'd see a reason to use more loadouts but, well, here we are.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

made 50 and had saved up about 450 scrip, I did not expect to get this in 6 rolls though

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

made 50 and had saved up about 450 scrip, I did not expect to get this in 6 rolls though

TSEs are great, congrats.

However, there are downsides to it.

One, the accuracy is low compared to non Two Shot. No that big of a deal with Handmades but expect a lot more misses in VATS.

Two, explosive means faster condition loss and you'll need Demo Expert rank 5 to get the most damage out of it. Depending on your build you might be forced to chose between using either Gunsmith or Demo Expert. The former means that you'll not have to repair as often, the latter means more damage.

Three, the splash damage can hurt you, so if you're playing low health you might want torso armor with a Dense Chest mod as I don't think that Fireproof is enough these days.

Edit: Did a quick test with mine and Fireproof 3 is enough. So you need either that OR a Dense Chest mod.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 24, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

blowing myself up with my own sneak attacks is a small price to pay for the best combination of mods on the best gun for what I was already doing anyway (sneak attacking commando) although yes I am familiar with explosion resistance mods etc, one of the armor pieces I rolled was a heavy metal chest with explosion reduction as one of the mods and chameleon as the other (need to unlock the exp. reduction armor mod for heavy metal but eh) :shobon:

also an arm piece with regeneration on it

e: the acc penalty doesn't bother me that much because I was already using VATS/Concentrated Fire 3
a bad build

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 24, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

blowing myself up with my own sneak attacks is a small price to pay for the best combination of mods on the best gun for what I was already doing anyway (sneak attacking commando) although yes I am familiar with explosion resistance mods etc, one of the armor pieces I rolled was a heavy metal chest with explosion reduction as one of the mods and chameleon as the other (need to unlock the exp. reduction armor mod for heavy metal but eh) :shobon:

also an arm piece with regeneration on it

e: the acc penalty doesn't bother me that much because I was already using VATS/Concentrated Fire 3
a bad build

Made some minor changes.

https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/planner/#AwcOBAQEDgIBAQAALE8D6AEDQAMnAngD8AEDTgF7AxACxQEDzQEBfAOAAQJBAXAFCwOlAQMSAesBA7sBA9UBARkDAA==

Intelligence:

Blocker because Barbarian is not worth it. It might be in the beginning but the higher your DR gets the less beneficial it is. Max 80 DR is really not as impressive as it might sound. Shrugging off melee attacks with Blocker is much more important although your aim should be to not get swarmed in the first place. Ordnance Express is a good choice if you like grenading poo poo, in which case I'd also use Grenadier under Perception to make them more impressive.

Bandolier because ammo is really heavy. Sturdy Frame doesn't even remotely save as much weight as Bandolier does. Plus, the contextual ammo system from the DOs will come to the live servers with the next patch, so you'll get even more of the good stuff by just murdering poo poo.

Travelling Pharmacy is what makes you money. All those Stimpacks, Radways and Drugs you find on your journey WILL weigh you down but they'll also become your #1 source of income with vendor bots. Plus, the sooner you stop hoarding all that junk, the better. It's better to do a junk run every now and again instead of bulking that stuff up and wasting valuable stash space. :)

Perception:

Tank Killer is really, really important so if you want to keep a Picklock card in there you should slot in a Rank 2 of one of the others. I chose Concentrated Fire because Rank 1 of that is usually enough.

Endurance:

Fireproof 3 is a must have. Makes Scorchbeast blasts a non issue, Flamer attacks no longer bother you and poo poo exploding does not damage you. Note that this does not count for explosions from your own Grenades and the DOs with exploding enemies.

Adamantium Skeleton because you'll no longer suffer from getting crippled. Not necessary if you carry a lot of stimpacks and can heal yourself all the time.
Ironclad is as useless as Barbarian thanks to the diminishing returns with higher tier armor. Thanks to it being a 5 rank card it's even more useless.

If you care about being fully fed/hydrated you can slot it Rejuvenated.
Aquaboy/Girl is useless. It's nice to not care about rads in water or dive without fear of dying but there really aren't that many places where this would come in handy.

Charisma:

That's fine if you play solo but being on a team is always better. If you team up, get Tenderizer to 3 and put in Strange in Numbers because at some point you'll want to add mutations to your build. Also, Lone Wanderer doesn't work if you play solo on your own team.

Intelligence:

No changes.

Agility:

Evasive is in the same league as Barbarian and Ironclad. Non needed.
Adrenaline is in because you want to deal more damage.
Born Survivor is in because it keeps you alive should you get swarmed.
Gun Fu 1 is enough as you mainly need it for the limb targetting in VATS and there is no real observable difference between 10 and 30% more damage anyways. Normal mobs die anyways and whether or not you do 100 damage to a boss or 130 doesn't really matter since they have thousands of health anyways. :)

Luck:

No changes although I would absolutely aim for much more luck. This is where Legendary Perks come in, so in your case it's something you will have to wait a bit.

For reference, this is my current Stealth Commando build.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...xm3x83x93xa3x73

Edit: If you're playing Stealth Commando, I would suggest going all Leather Armor. That can be modded with Shadowed and Ultra-Light, meaning you'll be more stealthy and your AP refresh is higher. It's also cheaper to repair, much lighter and yet another reason to not use Sturdy Frame. :)

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 24, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Incredible roll. Congrats. I just pulled 4 guns with combos I want to try out. The big one was a lmg with exploding.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 24, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just got this for 10 bux, seems OK so far but VATS seems useless now?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

sean10mm posted:

It is good to get snapshots off or to find enemies you can not see

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
VATS does seem to have gotten worse lately. I could be 10 feet from an enemy with a clear line of sight and full AP and it will kick out of VATS in the first 2 rounds, or just not lock on at all.

My usual Fixer has +25% damage to aim down sights anyhow, so VATS isn't too important to me. Just another nuisance.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

VATS-specific builds can become some of the most powerful in the game, but I could never shake off how bad it felt to play the game without actually aiming at targets.

Edit:

Father Wendigo posted:

Bethesda can bolt things on to 76 to make it more enjoyable and work *around* some of the more egregious mistakes Bethesda made, but the fundamental mechanical flaws in its foundation can't and won't be fixed.
And even more cynically, with the introduction of Fallout 1st and Private Worlds, a lot of these workarounds cost a player $10 a month or else they'll be taken away from.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 24, 2021

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

sean10mm posted:

Real-time VATS is another symptom of jury rigging Fallout 4 into an MMO without so much as a second thought. It doesn't serve the purpose it was created for, and its tenuous new use can be rendered fundamentally unusable due to the servers being held together with shoestring and gum.

Bethesda can bolt things on to 76 to make it more enjoyable and work *around* some of the more egregious mistakes Bethesda made, but the fundamental mechanical flaws in its foundation can't and won't be fixed.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I use VATS in combo with Gun Fu and a Quad Fixer. It's hilarious.
But yeah, VATS has definitely gotten some kind of sneak "upgrade" because the lock can break if a piece of grass comes between the target and you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

When the game came out it sometimes simply wouldn't work, even at point blank ranges. you'd have a 95% chance to hit and miss all 5 shots.