Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Heads up for anyone who has a Classic Choice subscription on Humble. It looks like they've opened up (or hosed up) an extra 2 claims for 2019-2020, allowing you to grab all the games for all months before January 2021. Looks like they already ran out of keys for This Is The Police 2, so act quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nyaa posted:

Speaking of old Peter Molyneux games, I wish they brought back Black & White. :beerpal:

Populous: The Beginning

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Heads up for anyone who has a Classic Choice subscription on Humble. It looks like they've opened up (or hosed up) an extra 2 claims for 2019-2020, allowing you to grab all the games for all months before January 2021. Looks like they already ran out of keys for This Is The Police 2, so act quick.

can anyone else verify this?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Nyaa posted:

Speaking of old Peter Molyneux games, I wish they brought back Black & White. :beerpal:

I'm sure if you followed all of the hype for this game it was as much total bullshit as any other Molyneux project but I picked it up knowing nothing about it when I was like 11 or 12 as one of the first new, 3D games for my new computer and it absolutely blew my mind. My rose-tinted memories of it are probably fairly close to Molyneux's original sales pitch, lol.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Populous: The Beginning
A proper sequel building up on its ideas.

Black & White would have been a lot better without the pet mechanic, tbh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So Killsquad is coming out of EA today, aaand:

God, valve...

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

found a bit more info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/humblebundles/comments/qchcf0/if_youre_a_classic_sub_claim_these_asap_it_seems/

I didn't have any unredeemed choice keys, but I did find a steam key for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

God, valve...

Don't tons of EA games do this already? Raise the price when it leaves EA, but have a limited time discount. Seems a bit strange.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 21, 2021

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Breadallelogram posted:

Yep, I can confirm a was able to claim the remaining 2 games for all the months in that range that I didn't pause the subscription.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Looks like they already ran out of keys for This Is The Police 2, so act quick.

Huh, I haven't redeemed most of my games, didn't think they could actually run out of keys.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So is that Killsquad game any good? I hadn't heard about it before but looks kinda neat.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

StrixNebulosa posted:

God, valve...

I'm not seeing anything wrong with this. Raising the price, and then putting it on sale so you think you are saving money is a pretty lovely business tactic. For this specific scenario, I don't think that is the intention, but for a lot of games there isn't really much difference between early access and the full release version.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Broken Cog posted:

Don't tons if EA games do this already? Raise the price when it leaves EA, but have a limited time discount. Seems a bit strange.
I think Valve added a policy where you can't raise the price and discount it at the same time to combat companies gaming the store during the big sales. IIRC Rockstar did that with GTA5 a few years ago, raising the price to like $95 and then discounting it 50% so it looked like a great deal at a glance. It's really dumb that they don't have an exception for EA games though. If anything, the limitation should be on lowering the price immediately after the sale, since that would eliminate the bad-faith uses of it without hurting people who have legitimate reasons for doing it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Volte posted:

I think Valve added a policy where you can't raise the price and discount it at the same time to combat companies gaming the store during the big sales. IIRC Rockstar did that with GTA5 a few years ago, raising the price to like $95 and then discounting it 50% so it looked like a great deal at a glance. It's really dumb that they don't have an exception for EA games though. If anything, the limitation should be on lowering the price immediately after the sale, since that would eliminate the bad-faith uses of it without hurting people who have legitimate reasons for doing it.

Makes sense, I think that's illegal for retailers to do in a lot of countries, and I'm surprised to see a big actor like Rockstar get in on it. Did that garner any attention when it happened?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Broken Cog posted:

Makes sense, I think that's illegal for retailers to do in a lot of countries, and I'm surprised to see a big actor like Rockstar get in on it. Did that garner any attention when it happened?
I only remember noticing it myself but it looks like people were pretty pissed. Rockstar wasn't the only one doing it, that's just the one I remember noticing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Broken Cog posted:

Don't tons of EA games do this already? Raise the price when it leaves EA, but have a limited time discount. Seems a bit strange.

If others have done it, it's possible they didn't ask Valve for permission ahead of time.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not seeing anything wrong with this. Raising the price, and then putting it on sale so you think you are saving money is a pretty lovely business tactic. For this specific scenario, I don't think that is the intention, but for a lot of games there isn't really much difference between early access and the full release version.

Right. The problem here is the communication ahead of time. They were told it was fine, when it was against policy. Hell, it might even be illegal in some countries. I know it's highly frowned upon in mine. Anyway, they either phrased their question poorly or whoever answered them hosed up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

God, valve...

I don’t find this story very convincing that valve’s response was a surprise when the gunfire reborn devs were aware of this policy more than a month ago, and let everyone know their plans to raise the game’s price ahead of its release date well in advance

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SIGMA THEORY: GLOBAL COLD WAR
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=D4w88VE64xhNY8U2

EARTHLOCK
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=SCzTDr5wkdZdMRtA

DEADLY DAYS
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=vSzyauGq544zdpnU

F1 2019 ANNIVERSARY EDITION
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=vSzyauGq544zdpnU

WARSTONE TD
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=zNfP6Rv6EqBtB8FW

THE HEX
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=R8SzAvcCtFXEHVKw

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
dear steam thread:

I am old and blind and play with windows scaled up to 225% on my 1440 monitor. When I try to play one of my favorite games, Everday Shooterb it tries to apply this 225% on top of all the game's settings.

How do I cancel it doing that so I can play properly without having to mess with my windows display scaling every time?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Tried to grab this and it allowed me to put in my email and request it, but the link give was already claimed. Oh well, Humble atomicity is not completely atomic it seems.

In case anyone was worried about keys being reclaimed etc, this support post talking about how the 2 additional claims for the December 2019 bundle are a bug makes it seem like the rest are intended.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Thanks very much for these two, I have a steam deck preordered and apparently these run native in Linux.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Harold Fjord posted:

dear steam thread:

I am old and blind and play with windows scaled up to 225% on my 1440 monitor. When I try to play one of my favorite games, Everday Shooterb it tries to apply this 225% on top of all the game's settings.

How do I cancel it doing that so I can play properly without having to mess with my windows display scaling every time?

Not particularly helpful, but I've found that some games simply don't play nice with Windows scaling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
But see if toggling "Override High DPI scaling behavior" helps (by default it should be unchecked)

there are three options in the drop down menu, i'd start with system (enhanced)

(right click on the shotcut/exe > properties > compatibility tab > change high DPI settings)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 21, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty reasonable blanket policy, even though the poor communication from the Valve rep sucks for the devs. I'm not sure if the Switch eShop ever fixed it but publishers at least at one point were able to alter sale prices and base prices on a whim so every time there was a sale you'd see the same lovely shovelware games at the very top of the page because they were technically discounted by 90% or whatever. As mentioned, in some countries it's actually illegal.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I don’t find this story very convincing that valve’s response was a surprise when the gunfire reborn devs were aware of this policy more than a month ago, and let everyone know their plans to raise the game’s price ahead of its release date well in advance

It's written in the rules that you can't do it: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/earlyaccess

quote:

Early Access Pricing
Pricing decisions depend on the nature of your game and what behavior you'd like to encourage. Most developers have chosen to start out with lower price than their target launch price. This establishes a price that is fair for the content being provided at that time, with the intention that the price will rise over time as more content is added and the game becomes more polished.

Conversely, some developers have chosen to set their Early Access price higher than the target launch price so that they can reach a smaller group of more dedicated fans.

Note that you will not be able to run a discount within 30 days following a price increase. This includes a launch discount when your title transitions from Early Access to fully released. If you have raised your base price within 30 days of this transition you will not be able to run a launch discount.

Maybe devs should have read those instead of talking with Mystery Steam Representative X.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If my b2b contact with a company directly told me I could do something, my first reaction would not be to to tell myself "they're probably wrong and stupid, let me independently research the same question they just answered for me".

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If my b2b contact with a company directly told me I could do something, my first reaction would not be to to tell myself "they're probably wrong and stupid, let me independently research the same question they just answered for me".

Well I wouldn't plan my product launch on the word of a single guy who doesn't even work for me. Especially not when "research" is a few clicks and I could have done it beforehand.

Mind you this is assuming this conversation even happened in the first place. Putting the blame on an unnamed employee but doing it in relatively secrecy, so your story can't be scrutinized or responded to, is suspicious at best.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

God, valve...

Hah, just earlier this week Gunfire Reborn devs announced they'd be raising the price a few weeks before the 1.0 launch specifically to avoid this problem. Like literally just said it outright in the announcement that they were raising the price early so they could do a launch discount.

I think it would be fine as long as you let people know why you were doing it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

I believe Rockstar didn't just raise the price but instead made a bundle of GTA5 and some Shark Cards (the GTA online micro transaction currency), valued it at like $90 and discounted it by 50% for the sale and took GTA5 on it's own off sale for the duration.

Scummy as gently caress, no doubt, but might not have been illegal wherever there are laws against this kind of stuff.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about Gloomhaven: So the campaign is more or less the campaign as it existed in the original board game, while this Guildmaster mode is a semi-random X-Com alike where you take random missions around a map? It looks like the 1.0 blurb says to play a bit in Guildmaster before the campaign (Or is that because it has the tutorial that I am playing currently baked in?)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How's AC: Valhalla hold up? I see it's $35 for the next week or so and I'm looking for something new to play with a controller on my fancy new oled, I tried getting back into Odyssey last night but I've started and stopped that game so many times that I just can't do it again.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

thoughts on Multiplayer Spooks game to consider:

1) Phasmophobia: (coop only) What if Ghost Hunters but ghosts are real? Use various tools to determine what type of ghost is haunting the location and try not to get murdered. Best played using the in-game voice chat as the ghost can hear you which especially comes into play when hunting. You've probably already played this; update speed is very slow however fairly recently it got some new ghosts, tools, UI/Sound/Graphics improvements, a new map, and a 3-second sprint added to it, so it's a great time to jump back in for a bit

2) Devour: (coop only) Much more 'gamey' than Phasmophobia, a big map with a demon lady. She wanders around while the players search for sacrifices to burn, and if they get them all they win. After each sacrifice, and also at set intervals, she goes into rage-out mode and starts sprinting around. She's far faster than a running player but can be briefly stunned with a UV flashlight which gives an opportunity to escape. As the sacrifices increase the rage gets longer and the stuns get shorter, and more minions spawn that slow you and drain your precious and slowly charging UV light to kill. Recommended with 4 players (there are difficulty settings but the other difficulty scale is just 'single' and 'multi' so 2 players is very hard). There's three very different maps that each have mildly different gameplay, certain things like locked doors and item locations are shuffled each time. Fantastic sound work overall, there IS a big jump scare when you get caught, I recommend turning off the sound effect for that if you don't like those. Also stealth doesn't seem to work so it's better to play aggressively

3) In Silence: (coop, adversarial) sorta similar to Devour, roam a camp grounds searching for supplies and parts to repair a car to escape (or find a gun and kill the monster). The monster has terrible vision but good hearing, so being stealthy and throwing rocks etc to fake it out is required. Higher player count than the others. The big gimmick is playing as the monster itself. All you can see is a blurry red mess, however you have some cooldown abilities to help with this, and you also have a radar that pings whenever a sound is made. So it really rules as a human to accidentally step on a twig and immediately hear a bellowing monster in the distance stampede towards you. Different things can effect this; if it starts raining the monster's vision is hugely improved but the radar is jammed until it stops. You have to know your crowd though, some people get really upset playing as the monster because it's hard to see things which could put a damper on the game. You can also play against an AI monster, it is serviceable but it will respawn to be in the general vicinity of players periodically so it's not really a true experience

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about Gloomhaven: So the campaign is more or less the campaign as it existed in the original board game, while this Guildmaster mode is a semi-random X-Com alike where you take random missions around a map? It looks like the 1.0 blurb says to play a bit in Guildmaster before the campaign (Or is that because it has the tutorial that I am playing currently baked in?)

Yup. The Guildmaster mode both has the tutorial baked in and sort of gives you softball missions at the start, to get you acquainted with the system. The campaign mode just sort of drops you into things and the first couple missions of Gloomhaven are notoriously tricky for first timers. I'd recommend doing the tutorials in Guildmaster and then one or two basic missions before starting the campaign.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

explosivo posted:

How's AC: Valhalla hold up? I see it's $35 for the next week or so and I'm looking for something new to play with a controller on my fancy new oled, I tried getting back into Odyssey last night but I've started and stopped that game so many times that I just can't do it again.

If you're not into the games-as-subscription thing totally understandable, but just a heads up in case you didn't know that you can also subscribe to Ubisoft+ or whatever it's called for $15 a month and get all their games plus DLC. For me a month seemed like plenty to get my fill of Valhalla and Far Cry 6, but your mileage may vary.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

The very first map of the board game campaign can easily exhaust you even if you think you're otherwise doing well simply because you either play too conservatively or burn too many cards for too little effect. The early Guildmaster maps are a lot more forgiving, often by being shorter length.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

goferchan posted:

If you're not into the games-as-subscription thing totally understandable, but just a heads up in case you didn't know that you can also subscribe to Ubisoft+ or whatever it's called for $15 a month and get all their games plus DLC. For me a month seemed like plenty to get my fill of Valhalla and Far Cry 6, but your mileage may vary.

Yup, this is what I did as well. I had it for a few months after AC:V released, then stopped my sub until FC6 came out. They also provide most to all of the DLC/season passes with the subscription.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goferchan posted:

That's a fan-loving-tastic idea, thank you! Knowing me there's a 1% chance I get even 10 hours into this game if I start it so yeah this is the way to go for sure.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

They also have a game called Rider's Republic coming out in a week that looks sort of interesting. I'll probably give that a look until my ubisub runs out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

explosivo posted:

It's a weird game. I like it pretty well, but mainly just for the map and the worldbuilding. It's a fascinating time in history and while they really didn't do it justice, at it's best it does look and feel very good, both graphically and in the sense that it can make you feel like you are in this other, historical, world. It's also got a pretty good story that moves things along.

It's piss easy though. Absurdly easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess Killsquad just had it's full release today?

I remember checking out the store page for this like a year ago and the reviews weren't very kind to it, but now it's getting a surge of positive reviews. Anyone know how the game is in it's 1.0 state?