Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Zeron posted:

Can't wait to play as the UK and raise my prestige so high that no one else qualifies to be a great power.

Holy cow, it didn't click for me that this is now a possibility. Imagine actually organically ending up with a unipolar or bipolar world order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t wait until the first coup,e weeks of the game when the great powers are changing weekly as prestige fluctuates

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I like that one of the requirements for becoming a great power is not being a subject or puppet. No more suddenly losing your hold over Bavaria because they temporarily climbed slightly too high in the ranks, undoing a decade of diplomatic and economic investments in an instant.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Zeron posted:

Can't wait to play as the UK and raise my prestige so high that no one else qualifies to be a great power.

Would have to be shockingly high. You could raise it high enough so that no one is within 75% of you, but they could still be a great power by having 3 times the average prestige. So unless you raise the average so high that no one else is 3 times above it (hard since there are probably over a hundred nations at game start given that China is rank 80), you'll still have some standouts.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cantorsdust posted:

Would have to be shockingly high. You could raise it high enough so that no one is within 75% of you, but they could still be a great power by having 3 times the average prestige. So unless you raise the average so high that no one else is 3 times above it (hard since there are probably over a hundred nations at game start given that China is rank 80), you'll still have some standouts.

You could turn your closest rivals into vassals, possibly?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

Also, I think should be hard if not downright impossible for the UK to make any territory in India a state. France tried and failed to do that with Algeria, and that had a smaller population. Plus it was literally just across from the Mediterranean.
France probably would have succeeded with Algeria if not for the demographic evisceration they suffered during the Great War.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Semi Annual reminder to watch "The battle of Algiers"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It will still be an overlord/subject interaction so I think with what we know, the pops in EIC will be British pops with British standard of living and baseline laws all living in EIC, and EIC as the subject would be affected by decisions by the overlord in London.
While there was a lot of overlap and influence both ways, it's my (limited) understanding that it was not the British government, but British investors who ran the EIC. Investors who did not and never would actually live in India. When I say events in London should influence the EIC, I didn't mean that in an abstract way to mean the British government. I meant literal capitalist pops way off in the "London" province should probably be the most important interest group in the EIC.

There's a lot of ways to make it basically make sense, and it's probably a fair thing to abstract, but I'm going to be curious about what they end up actually going with. I suppose we don't know anything about the subject/colony system, so it's possible that it could be well enough covered by that system, if home country capitalists typically have influence over subject nations policies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

they're going to be a fancy name for a state that maybe has a unique trait until they do a dlc that makes them either massively overpowered or completely unusable for at least a patch

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cantorsdust posted:

You can probably very effectively reduce the average by liberating lots of small countries out of the bigger ones. UK, liberator of nations?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
That would do the exact opposite of what you want.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just do a WC and you'll be the only great power

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Looking at this screenshot:

I would have LOVED to see the borders between those countries be blurred/undefined because until close to 1900, the only europeans to set foot in the lands of Khiva, northeastern Persia, Bukhara, Afganistan, ect were British or Russians playing the Great Game. I'm curious if Afganistan will come with the little extension that reaches out and touches China, because that didnt exist until the British and Russians agreed that Afganistan should have it so they didnt share a border in Asia.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

France probably would have succeeded with Algeria if not for the demographic evisceration they suffered during the Great War.

There's an illustrative article by a French theorist in around ~1900 arguing that in order to combat higher Prussian birthrates, France must make its colonial subjects into true Frenchmen, culturally and politically. Can't remember the name, but it does show that there was some interest in the metropole for this kind of program, even if it is only in a nation under intense inter-Great Power pressure.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Smiling Knight posted:

There's an illustrative article by a French theorist in around ~1900 arguing that in order to combat higher Prussian birthrates, France must make its colonial subjects into true Frenchmen, culturally and politically. Can't remember the name, but it does show that there was some interest in the metropole for this kind of program, even if it is only in a nation under intense inter-Great Power pressure.

Portugal had, in theory, a similar colonial policy in the 20th century. In practice, it meant almost no difference to the colonized populations and was nothing but propaganda made to make their imperialism seem more humane and an excuse to hold on to their African colonies longer than other European states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assimilado

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah all the empires did that to one degree or another. Portugal at least half-heartedly tried to follow through during the Overseas Wars but that was only as a 'hearts and minds' thing. I think it kind of worked in Mozambique? That's the one they were winning before the Carnation Revolution I think.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eiba posted:

While there was a lot of overlap and influence both ways, it's my (limited) understanding that it was not the British government, but British investors who ran the EIC. Investors who did not and never would actually live in India. When I say events in London should influence the EIC, I didn't mean that in an abstract way to mean the British government. I meant literal capitalist pops way off in the "London" province should probably be the most important interest group in the EIC.

There's a lot of ways to make it basically make sense, and it's probably a fair thing to abstract, but I'm going to be curious about what they end up actually going with. I suppose we don't know anything about the subject/colony system, so it's possible that it could be well enough covered by that system, if home country capitalists typically have influence over subject nations policies.
Yeah, making home country capitalists (and possibly aristocrats?) count for influence in subjects makes a lot of sense. The level of influence they have could depend on the exact relationship.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I only recently found out this was coming. I played some Victoria: Revolutions when my Internet cut out for a few days this week, so I'm stoked!

CAPITALISTS BUILDS A FACTROY

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1448287421796343809?s=20

Nice to see that Württemberg's opinion of Austria is that they are a big lake.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Phlegmish posted:

I only recently found out this was coming. I played some Victoria: Revolutions when my Internet cut out for a few days this week, so I'm stoked!

CAPITALISTS BUILDS A FACTROY

god Ricky owned so much

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ricky > V2 don't @ me

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #19 - Relations and Infamy

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-19-relations-and-infamy.1494496/

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

The Dev Diary posted:

(...) violating a neutral country’s sovereignty during war...

:BismarkGetIn: :CryingBelgium:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

KaiserJohan posted:

pdx forums poster posted:

If it was similar to the old system but doing bad actions against minors and demanding smaller states gave less infamy it's fine.

I hope it's not the same infamy generation for a state in russia that has 5 million people to a state that has 400k. Value should be important

Of course, a flat penalty is archaic :)

Pretty much expected but still a relief. Infamy in Vicky 2 was such an annoying, arbitrary mess, but this sounds much better.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U5FltMuWDo

Also been trying to get into Victoria II, and I was surprised by how little control you have over the economy, and wasn't surprised by the incomprehensible UI. Is there a way to build schools or roads manually, or is that entirely in the background/depending on Capitalist caprice?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

TwoQuestions posted:

Also been trying to get into Victoria II, and I was surprised by how little control you have over the economy, and wasn't surprised by the incomprehensible UI. Is there a way to build schools or roads manually, or is that entirely in the background/depending on Capitalist caprice?

You can build railroads manually, state by state in the old interface. Schools are abstracted as an education law for public school system. Also using your national focuses to promote clergy to an optimum amount of 4% will improve literacy over time.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

TwoQuestions posted:

Some political parties give more control over industry than others. You can usually get a government that lets you build factroys and the like if you don't mind pissing some people off.

Unless you end up in a republic that elects laissez-faire or something, in which case enjoy your massive economic collapse and widespread unemployment.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah all the empires did that to one degree or another. Portugal at least half-heartedly tried to follow through during the Overseas Wars but that was only as a 'hearts and minds' thing. I think it kind of worked in Mozambique? That's the one they were winning before the Carnation Revolution I think.

The Portuguese system was so poo poo and so small minded that white Portuguese people from alentejo or Algarve, basically the south of the country, were considered lesser people due to being generally dirt poor and not living in the Designated Three Relevant Cities.

A poor white Portuguese in Africa was treated like a freak too, so the entire propaganda of "ultramarine provinces" didn't really encapsulate the whites living in the colonies, you can imagine how the Africans fared.

Angola and Mozambique were basically silenced by 1974, but Guinea was turning into virtually conventional warfare and the cost of sustaining all of this was impossible. Mozambique was relatively calmer than Angola or guinea tho, if I'm not mistaken, which helped a lot.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1451216960256192512?s=20

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It sounds like diplomatic plays will basically let other nations intervene and get mad at your own internal decisions and subject relationships which is..fantastic. Seems like a natural evolution of the diplomatic system.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah I think the real innovation this will have over Vic 2 is the expanded diplomatic options. Really looking forward to being able to apply pressure to get what I want without necessarily going to war. Great Game and all that.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Can't wait to bully other people in MP games for making dumb decisions, which causes them to enter in a spiral of capitulation between foreign interests and local interest groups until their country collapses and I can eat the remains

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah I think the real innovation this will have over Vic 2 is the expanded diplomatic options. Really looking forward to being able to apply pressure to get what I want without necessarily going to war. Great Game and all that.

Yeah the diplomacy in Vic 2 was always the weakest aspect. The crisis system was great but it was basically the only thing that wasn't extremely standard 4X stuff. You couldn't even do trade embargos!

I particularly like the "violate sovereignty" option since the whole "neutral country won't give you military access and you can't actually get to the war you've been dragged into by an ally" thing was a pretty frequent problem in Victoria 2.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Wiz posted:

Subjects can start plays to get more autonomy or gain independence, and more autonomous subjects can even try to expand at the expense of other subjects of the same overlord (with the overlord able to take sides or stay out of it).

lachek posted:

Subjects, including Puppets, have their own Influence which they can start their own Pacts with, manipulate Relations, etcetera. The precise nature of their subject relationship might block some of these interactions but generally the approach we've taken is to be make subject nations as autonomously playable as possible without making your subjects too annoying when you're playing as the overlord. The rule of thumb is we want entering into (or being forced into) a subject relationship with a higher-ranking country to be a strategic medium-term choice rather than a death sentence.

It sounds like being a subject is a much, much better deal than in V2. Which is great, there's a lot of starts/countries that are made a lot more playable/fun this way.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

That idea of making being or agreeing to become a subject into a valid route to take during the game is a really smart idea, considering how often that happened during the period, particularly to non-European countries. Botswana sent representatives to the UK to ask to become a protectorate to avoid getting annexed by South African colonists, iirc.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Red Bones posted:

That idea of making being or agreeing to become a subject into a valid route to take during the game is a really smart idea, considering how often that happened during the period, particularly to non-European countries. Botswana sent representatives to the UK to ask to become a protectorate to avoid getting annexed by South African colonists, iirc.

CK3 does manage this balance i think, so i'm curious if paradox can strike it again in another context

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Red Bones posted:

Though it needs trade offs or you just now do it at the beginning of every run

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Zeron posted:

It sounds like being a subject is a much, much better deal than in V2. Which is great, there's a lot of starts/countries that are made a lot more playable/fun this way.

if this really does well you should be able to naturally have things like 48 where hungary just starts invading all the other austrian client states, pissing them off and allowing austria to use them to clamp the whole thing down

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Normally paradox forum threads are unpleasantly nazi, but there is one about the correct representation of the canadian maritime provinces now and it's just kinda adorable

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/new-brunswick-is-wrong.1495362/

New Brunswick... is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Normally paradox forum threads are unpleasantly nazi, but there is one about the correct representation of the canadian maritime provinces now and it's just kinda adorable

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/new-brunswick-is-wrong.1495362/

New Brunswick... is wrong

I mean...

It is.