Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle ShortyB posted:

AITA for never returning my friend’s oven mitts

2 years for a set of oven mitts? If I left a spare set of like, oven mitts or tongs or whatever at my friend's house after they just moved in and forgot them, even if I remembered like 6 months later or whatever I would just ask "Hey do you even still have those?" and they said "yeah you left them here and I assumed it was a gift." I would honestly just say "Alright they're your problem now." The gently caress do you urgently need oven mitts for 2 years after you forgot them that can't wait to order them from like, amazon or whatever? Especially if your solution is "Mail them back to me and pay for it."

As it typical for things that end up in this thread, it's not about the oven mitts and the person asking the question is so bad at navigating interpersonal relationships (they are posting on reddit for advice to begin with) that they have no idea what it's actually about or how to navigate the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Puppy Time posted:

I am trying to figure out whether this person has a yorkie that her mom thinks is a bichon frise, a beejohn that she thinks is a yorkie, a mutt, or some other small dog that she's hilariously wrong about.

For reference, this is a beejohn

and this is a yorky

They are very difficult to mix up if you have functioning eyeballs.

I just assumed it was a mix. But who can say for sure?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My wife and I both have professions tied to our name so we solved the kids name by jamming our last names together. We were lucky in that the first four letters of my name and the last five letters of her name worked out to a roughly normal looking/sounding last name.

There's no rules you can name a kid what ever you want.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

Maybe the friend has been eating cold lasagne for the past two years because of the OP's obliviousness. Just sadly watching the lasagne go cold in the oven, becasue they don't have oven mitts to get it out.

Sorry, kids. No birthday cake this year either.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Puppy Time posted:

I am trying to figure out whether this person has a yorkie that her mom thinks is a bichon frise, a beejohn that she thinks is a yorkie, a mutt, or some other small dog that she's hilariously wrong about.

'Beejohn yorkie' / Yorkichon = a designer mutt
= significantly less prone to debilitating genetic conditions, so I'm ambivalent about the whole 'mix two breeds and charge a fortune for what used to be called a mutt' thing.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My boyfriend (17M) of about 3 years wants to be a clown… I (17F) am afraid of clowns…

I am mostly interested in how the throwaway "oh yeah he is also joining the freemasons" fits in with the wants to become a clown thing :psyduck:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Woodchip posted:

now that i moved across the country for husband's job, he is perfectly willing to lose said job because of vaccine mandate

Thankfully divorce is a qualifying life event, so it's ok that you missed open enrollment.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Nooner posted:

I am mostly interested in how the throwaway "oh yeah he is also joining the freemasons" fits in with the wants to become a clown thing :psyduck:

You have to be a Mason to be a Shriner, and the Shriners are big into clowns. My uncle used to do a least one clown gig a month on the side, on his time off from of his radiator repair business, and would always have the checks made out to the Shriners hospital.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Googling "bichon yorkie" brings up loads of results and pictures.

It's a cross between a bichon frise and yorkie. Surprise!

So a mutt.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

All the pictures I'm seeing just look like big yorkies. I would have assumed the appeal of a cross-breed would be getting something that looked like a teeny tiny bichon beejohn. I do not understand the merits of this cross-breed and refuse to learn.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

OzyMandrill posted:

'Beejohn yorkie' / Yorkichon = a designer mutt
= significantly less prone to debilitating genetic conditions, so I'm ambivalent about the whole 'mix two breeds and charge a fortune for what used to be called a mutt' thing.

Should have called it a Bjorkie. In fact I insist that is the correct name now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nah, call it a Bichonshire.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My wife and I both have professions tied to our name so we solved the kids name by jamming our last names together. We were lucky in that the first four letters of my name and the last five letters of her name worked out to a roughly normal looking/sounding last name.

There's no rules you can name a kid what ever you want.

Regrettably for a lot of children, this is true.

Woodchip posted:

My (25M) mom wants my wife (25F) to use my last name for her PhD

tell your mom to gently caress off. who even cares.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

tell your mom to gently caress off. who even cares.

No, you don't get it, they're "old school" so it's okay to be a pest.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle ShortyB posted:

I like this. Anyway, content time:

AITA for never returning my friend’s oven mitts

2 years for a set of oven mitts? If I left a spare set of like, oven mitts or tongs or whatever at my friend's house after they just moved in and forgot them, even if I remembered like 6 months later or whatever I would just ask "Hey do you even still have those?" and they said "yeah you left them here and I assumed it was a gift." I would honestly just say "Alright they're your problem now." The gently caress do you urgently need oven mitts for 2 years after you forgot them that can't wait to order them from like, amazon or whatever? Especially if your solution is "Mail them back to me and pay for it."

Or use a couple damp towels if you can't make it to the dollar store. It's not exactly hard to take something out of the oven without burning yourself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Perhaps the most frustrating thing about meddling parents is that they have a phone book length list of reasons why they're entitled to be like this.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

emptyspace posted:

Or use a couple damp towels if you can't make it to the dollar store. It's not exactly hard to take something out of the oven without burning yourself.

Use dry towels; wet ones are slippery and conduct heat better.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Do not under any circumstances use damp or wet towels to handle a hot pan out of the oven.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Alchenar posted:

/Relationships: stay in your room while he de-clowns

I mean I feel like this is good relationship advice for the majority of women posters in that subreddit

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6zQ4E7iTWM

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

emptyspace posted:

Please use dry towels, wet ones can slip or steam and that's no bueno.

Edit: beaten by fuckin everybody...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tetramin posted:

Lol it’s ok because I thought the cops would bust in after she’d had a couple bites of pizza, not before.

She could've at least given it a little time so they can enjoy the pizza first. Or better yet serve the money, let sister get her dope so she can go to jail fixed up

Evil Willow posted:

Aita for pawning cards?

Please don't probe me, but this story is way too perfectly calculated to infuriate literally everyone on the sub and in fact the entire internet to be real imo

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
use whatever's handy to take a pan out, who gives a hoot

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Relevant content from the old thread:

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The people who say she deserved it are right, no way there weren't inklings before that.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

pnac attack posted:

use whatever's handy to take a pan out, who gives a hoot

People who don't want to burn their hands and/or drop the pan because they just burnt their hand.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Every single time there's some cooking safety thing brought up at least one goon freely talks about some insane thing that is normal to them, like burning pots to ash about 1x a year from forgetting it on the stove.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for saying my ex looked exactly the same when he was wearing devil horns?

quote:

My son wanted to have a Halloween party with his dad, but his dad was going to be away from this Friday, so we had it last weekend. Before the party, I let my son pick out headbands for all of the guests. He chose devil horns for my ex and cat ears for me.

My ex and I haven’t been getting along at all recently. Mostly because he intentionally sabotaged my new relationship and then was acting like he was just trying to protect me and our son. So, I thought the devil horns were perfect for him, although I didn’t encourage or tell my son to pick those for him.

When my ex wore the horns, he asked us how he looked and I said, “exactly the same as always”. My son thought it was funny and proceeded to try and explain to me that he was wearing horns and it turned into a game of me pretending I couldn’t see them and him trying to show me where they were. It was clear by his expression that my ex didn’t find it funny at all.

At one point I was in the kitchen getting dessert and my ex followed me to “help”. What he actually did was start a fight over what I said.

AITA?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
When I was little my dad was a blacksmith and a sheet metal worker. He had a close friend who was a welder and the guy’s party trick was taking pans out of the oven with his bare hands. I don’t know the temperatures involved but when I got older it always struck me as some absurd macho thing. My mom, a nurse, was horrified.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

TIFU by making my husband think I was going to prison and now I can't play Mario Party.

quote:

So today on the way home from work I encounter an accident. As I am pulling around the scene I notice that the lights behind my car look like several police are following me. I then get the idea for my marvelous gently caress up. I take a selfie when said lights behind me and send it to my dear husband with the text "poo poo." A few seconds go by and he responds with "Are you getting pulled over?" I text back and say I'm not pulling over!

Queue the phone call with an exasperated/confused husband asking me if I'm being serious. I tell him I'm not going to jail, I'm running and that I'm planning to ditch my car in a shopping center and run.

Well the only problem is I'm very convincing when I am joking/playing a prank and he of course starts to go into hysterics before I start laughing and telling him it's a joke.

I laugh for a bit and then proceed to tell him it's a joke I'm almost home ha ha ha. But the line is dead. He has hung up. Silence. I try to call back and straight to voicemail. Angry text flood my phone and I'm met with a very angry husband who most likely wants to murder me as I arrive home.

Dear husband will not play Mario Party with me tonight. I have apologized profusely and when he reads this I hope he knows he is the bestest husband in the world and I'm so sorry and please play Mario Party with me baby.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Tobermory posted:

Relevant content from the old thread:

Had a friend in Home Ec who grabbed the pizza we were cooking out of the oven with his bare hands because we asked him to check on it. He didn't react until he set the pizza down then started screaming about how his hand was on fire. Every time we cooked something he burnt himself, including things we only microwaved. Even when we weren't cooking he would burn his hand in the scalding hot water coming out of the tap when washing dishes or whatever. No idea if he ever learned how to cook.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I one time tried to eat a cookie right out of the oven and somehow my mouth didn't get burned but you could hear the liquid in my mouth sizzling.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for saying my ex looked exactly the same when he was wearing devil horns?
The cool thing about breaking up with your whiny manbaby ex is that you don't have to care about his stupid feelings anymore!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

therobit posted:

When I was little my dad was a blacksmith and a sheet metal worker. He had a close friend who was a welder and the guy’s party trick was taking pans out of the oven with his bare hands. I don’t know the temperatures involved but when I got older it always struck me as some absurd macho thing. My mom, a nurse, was horrified.

when i worked at a pizza place a couple of the managers could do this. apparently your hands just toughen up after a while

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Are you truly a cook if your hands can still feel heat?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Zurtilik posted:

TIFU by making my husband think I was going to prison and now I can't play Mario Party.

This lady rules.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

esperterra posted:

Are you truly a cook if your hands can still feel heat?

Are you truly a cook if you are sober enough to feel anything?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

This is an example of a good prank.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

My girlfriend of seven years (and best friend for my entire life) cheated on me with my older brother.

quote:

I’m 20m. I’ve been dating my girlfriend 19f since we were 13. We were best friends since preschool before that. She’s been involved in every happy memory in my life, every good time. I bought an engagement ring for her. I was going to ask her to marry me on November 1st. Not anymore since i found out she’s been sleeping with my brother 29m. Apparently while I was working overtime this summer (trying to save for a house…and a wedding….and a future FOR HER) she was lonely and needed company. And one day she got to my house before I was done with work and he was over doing laundry. They got to talking and hanging out and then I guess loving. I have no idea how long this has been going on for, or if it was going to continue to go on if I didn’t find out. I feel like the loving floor has been pulled out from under me. I don’t know how to process this. But I guess if anyone ones a cheap engagement ring hit me up

Update: My girlfriend of seven years (and best friend for my entire life) cheated on me with my older brother.

quote:

Thanks for all the messages and positive support. I appreciate it.

I dumped my ex obviously. She started crying, saying I was her best friend, she never meant to hurt me. I told her to loose my number and get into therapy. A lot of people were pointing out that the relationship between my brother and ex might be unhealthy bc of the age gap and how he’s know her his entire life. I don’t know or care about any of that, it seems like something her and a therapist should figure out.

A lot of people messaged me asking if I told her/my parents. I really didn’t have a choice since all of them were supposed to be involved in the proposal (we were going to have a party after) I had to tell them why it was off.

Her parents were really mad. Especially her dad, her mom started crying. My parents were pissed too, apparently him and my dad had a pretty explosive fight (I wasn’t there for it, I don’t want to be anywhere around him for a while. But I guess my dad told him he didn’t want him coming to the house for a while.

I found someone to buy the ring for $7500 so I didn’t take much of a hit. Hopefully his relationship will end up better than mine.

I did tell my ex about my plan to propose and I showed her the ring. Idk that might have been petty or rude of me but I guess I wanted her to realize.

Again thanks for everything. I appreciate the advice and encouragement from you all.

The rare story where all the family members actually align with the wronged party. Hope he gets therapy too, glad he doesn't give a gently caress about the underlying reasons why they did it.

I hope we get Update: my older brother mysteriously died in the woods :murder:

Also I can tell OP will be okay because between the first and second update he learned how to double return on reddit.

edit: from the comments

quote:

dipshit redditor: Your brother is a predator who took advantage of your teenage girlfriend.

OP: She wasnt an innocent victim here.

dipshit redditor: I’ll bet you’ll look back on this when you’re older and think differently.

OP: I don’t know jack about grooming. But I know it doesnt take much thought or intelligence to know not to gently caress your boyfriends brother. And she’s a smart person.

spouse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

r/relationships: What’s wrong babe you’ve hardly touched your dewfee