Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
e: 89 is the ISBN group identifier for books published in South Korea.

Lady Demelza posted:

Plenty of Tories have had Covid, and none of them have suffered any long-term complications. They're all vaccinated and have access to the absolute best care regardless of whether the rest of us could get a critical care bed on the NHS. I don't want to sound all anti-vax because I know that a 1% death rate is actually very high, but even if every single one of the 360 or so Tory MPs contracted Covid, I reckon you'd see one death at most. Even without masks, even without social distancing, even with all the flouting of the lockdown rules, none of them have had severe Covid, and none of them will.

have any MPs of any party been seriously ill with covid?

I don't think private hospitals are really touching any covid care (far better to keep as a 'clean' site and churn through elective operations, which are the main moneymaker).

The bigger factor is probably that MPs, as a whole, are affulent people in generally good physical health who don't live in overcrowded, multigenerational households.

Johnson got in and out of ITU very quickly but that was probably overcaution - nobody wants to have the prime minister die on their watch, regardless of who it is.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean?

Labour agree with what the Tories are doing, but the Tories are doing it bad, and Labour would do it good.

This is quite a hard one to see how to handle in a politically-expedient way. Being pro-lockdown is not a popular stance right now even if "Plan B" looks like a no-brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Tervery really is more malosophy tbh.

Phobosophy, surely? A fear of thought.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Angrymog posted:

If they're not actively cultivated and just happen to be there, you're allowed to just take them, as long as it's not for commercial reasons.

In someone's front yard, though? Here that would be trespassing. Anywhere else anything goes though, including bringing a planeful of Thais to pick berries and mushies (and leaving them penniless if the summer turns bad for berries).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Phobosophy, surely? A fear of thought.
Misosophy. As opposed to malacology, which they are also afraid of because of the pansexual penis fencing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/1451174519029239811?s=19

They even included the ring!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

oxford_town posted:

This is quite a hard one to see how to handle in a politically-expedient way. Being pro-lockdown is not a popular stance right now even if "Plan B" looks like a no-brainer.

It doesn't have to be a lockdown though right? Just go back to masks enforced, distance measures with no overcowding and telling people to work from home if possible.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
edit: Beaten but

quote:

They even included the ring!

lol

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

It doesn't have to be a lockdown though right? Just go back to masks enforced, distance measures with no overcowding and telling people to work from home if possible.

Yeah, that's very true.

Anti-mask sentiment in the UK has always seemed quite odd to me. It has been a thing in East Asia for a long time and other parts of Europe seem to have no problem with mask-wearing. I was in Rome a few weeks ago and saw three people not wearing masks indoors - one was a young lad with Down's syndrome, and the other two were English people pointedly sitting in the hotel lobby unmasked (whilst everyone else was).

Meanwhile in the UK - England, anyway - most people have given up with masks.

I don't think they have a massive effect, and I don't enjoy wearing them, but they're not that bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oxford_town posted:

Anti-mask sentiment in the UK has always seemed quite odd to me. It has been a thing in East Asia for a long time and other parts of Europe seem to have no problem with mask-wearing.

That counts against it, yes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah, even if they didn't insistitute any lockdowns or anything and just advised public mask wearing and distancing, they could take a huge chunk out of the figures.

The :tinfoil: in me suspects that because they've maneuvered their mates into testing companies and healthcare provision, they need a steady supply of bodies moving through the system so that they can continue funneling NHS funds to them.

It also means they don't have to address any of the underlying issues with the NHS or economy, because their job is essentially just to shrug and say "we can't do it right now" where 'now' is a span of time stretching as long as they need it to.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

That has to be intentional haha

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a more likely explanation is that they have from the very start been ironclad against doing anything basically on principle, and only ever get maneuvered into it when someone says "bodies in the streets next week if you don't"

Even if the solution would be very easy, people like javid especially just hate the idea that the government should do useful things, and will avoid doing them right up until it causes them to have to do worse things later.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, even if they didn't insistitute any lockdowns or anything and just advised public mask wearing and distancing, they could take a huge chunk out of the figures.

Masking is mandatory (and legally backed) on all TfL services. 50% *at most* of passengers - and 0% as near as dammit of staff - are wearing masks.

In fact - although I'm fairly sure it's just me noticing it more - it seems like the majority of people aren't even bothering to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

What's astonished me after moving to Manchester from Ireland this month is just how few people wear masks in any form here. I'd guess maybe 90% of people wear masks in Ireland (it is still mandatory in shops and advised in public if crowded) but here it's maybe 90% people who don't wear masks. None on public transportation, which is especially concerning. Most mask wearers I see are employees who seemingly must wear them per policy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If nothing else the last two years have convinced me climate change is never, ever getting fixed. Fixing it is going to require a lot more inconvenience than wearing a mask and not demanding the entire country travel at the exact same times 5 times a week, and we're not willing to do that while to bodies are visibly piling up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I find the whole thing interesting, viewed through the lens of Etonian failsons just constantly making excuses. Like it absolutely is the kind of poo poo you can imagine a rich kid at school saying as an excuse for why they didn't do their work. You have an education system that rewards the kids who find the cleverest way to bunk off and not do the work, rewards them with government jobs, and then we wonder why they absolutely refuse to do their jobs.

I had the thought that the tory party has always had these useless cunts, but they've usually remained in the background, filling minor roles and safe seats and just picking up the cheques. But now we have an entire cabinet of them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Skull Servant posted:

What's astonished me after moving to Manchester from Ireland this month is just how few people wear masks in any form here. I'd guess maybe 90% of people wear masks in Ireland

The English love to live in a miasma of filth and disease. It's part of their national character. That's why they're also dumping raw sewage into their rivers. I'm amazed they haven't started rolling coal to own the libs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gotta go get tested tomorrow cuz I've just come home to find my mum has apparently lost her sense of taste.

Silver lining: Dune was good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

The English love to live in a miasma of filth and disease. It's part of their national character. That's why they're also dumping raw sewage into their rivers. I'm amazed they haven't started rolling coal to own the libs.

Samuel Pepys over here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if you look historically, human society is basically incapable of behaving proactively and is instead entirely reactive, it may theoretically be capable of acting in advance of a known problem but I think that would require a different form of societal organization.

An improvement, though, would be if people would just stop being so loving pathetic about "oh I couldn't possibly have known" all the loving time.

We really should start hanging people who gently caress up and save the sympathy for people who deserve it, rather than the current approach where the fuckups get the sympathy and random poor people get the spite.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 21, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Gotta go get tested tomorrow cuz I've just come home to find my mum has apparently lost her sense of taste.

Silver lining: Dune was good.
sounds like u have lost your sense of taste as well *air horns*

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fact - although I'm fairly sure it's just me noticing it more - it seems like the majority of people aren't even bothering to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.

A bunch of people I work with caught the bad cold that's going around* and aren't even bothering to even try and catch sneezes. Just straight back into the office and turning it into a plague pit. Not learned a thing.

*Surprise, half of them weren't the bad cold. Testing shows its Covid. Some tested negative for several days so we thought "Huh, must be the bad cold, stay home anyway" but now they're getting positive Covid results.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally the best thing about wearing a mask is you can sneeze into it and you don't have to use your hands.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I am still going to keep wearing masks, using hand sanitiser etc. Aside from anything else, I haven't had a cold since 2019, and I think that's pretty good. Also, I suspect I am better looking with the mask on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Especially as it's now cold they are much more comfortable to wear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah wearing a mask in the winter is good.

Getting dry lips and frozen snot all in my mustache to own the libs isn't.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Skull Servant posted:

What's astonished me after moving to Manchester from Ireland this month is just how few people wear masks in any form here. I'd guess maybe 90% of people wear masks in Ireland (it is still mandatory in shops and advised in public if crowded) but here it's maybe 90% people who don't wear masks. None on public transportation, which is especially concerning. Most mask wearers I see are employees who seemingly must wear them per policy.

government told us not to wear masks though

freedom day

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Controversial opinion: 'mask exemptions' are part of the problem.

There are definitely a small number of people for whom mask-wearing is a really distressing experience; people with severe autism perhaps, or the story I heard of the person who had been raped, and the sensation of a mask triggered memories of the feeling of a hand around her mouth.

The majority of 'mask exempt', sunflower-lanyard wearing people though appear to be people for whom mask-wearing is a bit unpleasant.

A similar thing is happening now with people seeking 'vaccine exemptions' - fortunately the list of things that make vaccine medically contraindicated is extremely small indeed - but a lot of the requests boil down to 'I don't want to'.

Also, the government has decided that 'covid is over' is the best way to proceed, which is why they are so lax about bothering with masks etc., but hey.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also there are at least as many people for whom the experience of being in an enclosed public space with unmasked people during a pandemic is a really distressing experience, not just immunocompromised people but people with anxiety spectrum disorder who think that it'll lead to them spreading disease to people that they care about and then it'll be their fault and so on.

The advice given to those people has been "well stay at home then if you're that scared" regardless of practicality, whereas the advice to the other group has been "come on in, wear a sunflower" so there's a definite disproportionality as to accommodation given to the two extremes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cold War Steve brutally punches home the point....

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1451253947604348930

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In the UK, I think the anti-mask thing is this psychological effect of being told by the government back in the summer that we've won against Covid and that all restrictions can be relaxed. It's something that people understandably badly want to believe, so when they see people continuing to mask up, first it reminds them that the pandemic isn't over, which annoys them and second, I think there's a kind of irrational resentment that people who still wear masks are somehow relishing the prospect of continued restrictions and are even quietly willing Covid back into existence so that this can happen.

I think it's this that fuels the interactions that some people have reported on here where they've been irritably told that Covid is "over" and there's no need for that mask they're wearing: it's more that the person saying it desperately wants Covid to be over and resents seeing signs that it isn't.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Also there are at least as many people for whom the experience of being in an enclosed public space with unmasked people during a pandemic is a really distressing experience, not just immunocompromised people but people with anxiety spectrum disorder who think that it'll lead to them spreading disease to people that they care about and then it'll be their fault and so on.

The advice given to those people has been "well stay at home then if you're that scared" regardless of practicality, whereas the advice to the other group has been "come on in, wear a sunflower" so there's a definite disproportionality as to accommodation given to the two extremes.

Last week I bumped into a work mate who I haven't seen since before Covid.
He said he was just getting his vaccination there now, and I joked to him why he left it until so late.
He said he had leukemia back in 2019, never told anyone, recovered from it thankfully. And this has delayed him getting the vaccine until he really needed to as he doesn't like crowds.
He has literally stayed in his home all this time, saying he has only been outside a few times over the last year.
But he has to go back to his homeland Portugal for a court case, and so was getting the vaccine to go sort it out. He is not liking that prospect.
I was totally shocked that he was sick and was so house bound, I would have helped him if I knew.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Earlier this week the gf and I went to a factory outlet to buy a washer-drier. We were handed (via a long pair of tongs) a new mask each by the guy on the main gate, who also checked our temperatures. Before we were allowed into the shop building we had to sanitise our hands, put on latex gloves and fill in a track-n-trace form.

So clearly Hotpoint takes coronavirus pretty seriously. But when we go to the local grocer's on the high street and see everyone trotting past the hand sanitiser and about one in ten people wearing a mask, and you see bus after bus going past with basically no mask wearers onboard it's a bit jarring.

Who has it right? My sneaking suspicion is that it's Hotpoint (and most of the rest of Europe, it seems), rather than the Great British Public, high on individualism and misunderstood Blitz Spirit.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On my 6:00am - 6:45am commute, I'd guess at most 1 in 4 people on the same train or tube as me are masked up.
A lot of them will have been wearing masks previously, since a fair few have been working throughout (it seems a popular commuting time for construction workers), but they seem to have all decided "Eh, gently caress it".

The numbers wearing masks go up a bit if I'm getting to work for 7:30; then it's maybe 40% wearing masks.

And yeah, every journey there'll be some oval office hacking his lungs up without covering his mouth.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

90% unmasked is extremely generous for Manchester, I'd put it at <5% easily.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The venn diagram of 'people complaining that wearing a mask is a huge imposition' and 'people who say suck it up snowflake' is a perfect circle.

Cashier at our local co-op was hacking her lungs out while scanning my groceries. Waved her hand and said "Don't worry, it's not covid." Well it's something, and now I have to spray all my food when I get in. I don't blame her though, I blame the system that doesn't let people take time off when sick.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

oxford_town posted:

e: 89 is the ISBN group identifier for books published in South Korea.

have any MPs of any party been seriously ill with covid?

Uhh Bozza had it pretty rough for a bit there. I dunno about that just being caution, he looked terrible.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Cashier at our local co-op was hacking her lungs out while scanning my groceries. Waved her hand and said "Don't worry, it's not covid." Well it's something, and now I have to spray all my food when I get in. I don't blame her though, I blame the system that doesn't let people take time off when sick.

Definitely could have masked up though. That people apparently aren't even doing that much when very obviously ill is phenomenal. We are a nation of total cunts whose only response to anything is to just blindly keep going without a moment's thought for anyone else or even ourselves. No wonder the Tories are bulletproof.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The people with their hands on the big levers that get people to do one thing or the other are the government and the media, and both are in a fatal state of decline in the UK. The government has never sent a stronger message than "wear a mask if you want to", has never attempted to seriously explain to people what the mask is doing or why - the opposite in fact, spending most of the start of the pandemic cunningly telling people they don't work. The media is trimmed down right to the bone across the board and can't seriously report on anything other than court intrigue and celebrity gossip, even the parts that were traditionally free to think bigger - like TV news and journalism - have been under sustained pressure not to break from the government line for close to a decade now.

So people do what makes sense, and while the government was forced into taking actual action otherwise, mask wearing was high. Now that the government's doing nothing, mask wearing is rapidly falling off. And people who by virtue of their job spend all day somewhere where a mask is going to be a pain - like the hot tunnels of the tube - will be the first to drop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I think a more likely explanation is that they have from the very start been ironclad against doing anything basically on principle, and only ever get maneuvered into it when someone says "bodies in the streets next week if you don't"

Even if the solution would be very easy, people like javid especially just hate the idea that the government should do useful things, and will avoid doing them right up until it causes them to have to do worse things later.

My cynical view was that the people in government do not want to wear masks themselves because they've lived lives free of rules and personal inconvenience, and masks are a thing they can be caught not wearing so they hate the idea of them being mandatory because then irritating political opponents will call them out on it when they don't