Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Metroid Dread, joining the 100% train. Just a bit above 9 hours.

Awesome every second. I immediately want to replay it on hard. What a game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

29. Mach Rider
played this until it looped. awesome music, great concept. i wish it were just a tad easier - it's easy to predict that there are going to be oil barrels and slicks and stuff on the sides of the road, but it's tough when there are caltrops or rocks in the middle. i somehow got through the entire first level without realizing that you can change gears, lol.

Urban Champion
this appears to keep going forever and it sucks. it's street fighter before they knew how to do street fighter. i stopped after i knocked the guy in the manhole and the woman threw flowers on me or whatever, but the rounds keep ticking up and that guy is right back. take a hint, green hair.

30. Tag Team Wrestling
i played 25 rounds of this (that's when the trophy stops getting bigger) and never quite got the hang of it. the grappling part doesn't make any sense to me, and too often i ram the A button too rapidly so that i'm executing the same move over and over. the controls are inelegant. there are cool ideas like fighting outside the ring, showcasing moves, getting beat on by an illegal participant, etc., but the actual gameplay is garbage.

31. Chubby Cherub
i'm probably on a watch list now for playing this. it's a weird and ugly side-scroller. it's kind of a platformer but you can fly pretty much the whole game. you play as a tiny, nude, cupid-like angel. the enemies are all dogs, birds or cats. you appear to be looking for some people, some of whom look like they come out of a racist memorabilia museum. i guess you're rescuing them from burglars, according to wikipedia. i think one of the burglars is the boss you fight in some levels, but i don't really get how they work. there's always a bone and you can sort of it throw it at him, but that doesn't seem to be what makes them leave. in the second to last level i flew into the sky halfway through the stage and did a bonus area in the clouds and skipped to the end of it by mistake. toward the end they start doing this thing where you have to step in a random spot on the screen in order to advance. i am not looking forward to future TOSE games, and i have to get through 2 more before we get to Capcom's first releases.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

31. Chubby Cherub
i'm probably on a watch list now for playing this. it's a weird and ugly side-scroller. it's kind of a platformer but you can fly pretty much the whole game. you play as a tiny, nude, cupid-like angel. the enemies are all dogs, birds or cats. you appear to be looking for some people, some of whom look like they come out of a racist memorabilia museum. i guess you're rescuing them from burglars, according to wikipedia. i think one of the burglars is the boss you fight in some levels, but i don't really get how they work. there's always a bone and you can sort of it throw it at him, but that doesn't seem to be what makes them leave. in the second to last level i flew into the sky halfway through the stage and did a bonus area in the clouds and skipped to the end of it by mistake. toward the end they start doing this thing where you have to step in a random spot on the screen in order to advance. i am not looking forward to future TOSE games, and i have to get through 2 more before we get to Capcom's first releases.

this isn't a real game

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tose's done a lot of cool projects but they're rarely given headlining status. They've worked on a lot of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy spinoffs, and even on the SMT series, but it's kinda unknown how much they actually contribute to all of those things.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That Little Demon posted:

this isn't a real game

it definitely feels fake while you're playing it, lol. the dogs shoot little Bs from their mouths which I guess is supposed to be them barking, but it feels like an imp dream about that Simpsons where Homer talks about b the dogs that shoot bees from their mouths.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

wikipedia posted:

There are hell and heaven stages. When Chubby Cherub goes down to the stage where it has open downsides, he goes to hell. It is a dark stage, so he cannot see any floors and cannot fly. When Chubby Cherub touched a dog, he reacts like a misfit but it repeats until he arrives to the exit. Heaven can be reached with a smoke ring when Chubby Cherub touches it by flying from below. Heaven has many cakes which are worth 500 points each.

did a dog write this

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

30. Tag Team Wrestling
i played 25 rounds of this (that's when the trophy stops getting bigger) and never quite got the hang of it. the grappling part doesn't make any sense to me, and too often i ram the A button too rapidly so that i'm executing the same move over and over. the controls are inelegant. there are cool ideas like fighting outside the ring, showcasing moves, getting beat on by an illegal participant, etc., but the actual gameplay is garbage.

This is one of those games that I don’t know if I actually enjoyed it or forced myself to enjoy it because I didn’t have that many games. I used to remember how many A presses you needed for each move, but that knowledge is long forgotten.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

it definitely feels fake while you're playing it, lol. the dogs shoot little Bs from their mouths which I guess is supposed to be them barking, but it feels like an imp dream about that Simpsons where Homer talks about b the dogs that shoot bees from their mouths.

(raises hand) I'm the guilty party, for this dream - I'm certain if it happened for any of us, it'd be me :D

Good job clearing all these oldies though! How long do you plan on smashing through all these old NES games, out of curiosity?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

(raises hand) I'm the guilty party, for this dream - I'm certain if it happened for any of us, it'd be me :D

Good job clearing all these oldies though! How long do you plan on smashing through all these old NES games, out of curiosity?

i'll probably take a lot of breaks, but i'm in it for the long haul: all of the games by release order. it'll probably take me 10 years, i had to take a two year break in the middle of Wrecking Crew. i still have to beat DQ4 and i'll probably take long breaks for the final fantasy 5 and 6 remasters, for example. i also only do this when i'm not near my TV.

b_d posted:

did a dog write this

what the gently caress? lmao, i never found a single Hell level. there's also definitely no indication about the heaven level, i found it purely by mistake while i was trying not to get barked at.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

what the gently caress? lmao, i never found a single Hell level.

can't get this out of my head now. kind of convinced it's a wikipedia prank and i'm going to have to fire up the game to find a Hell level tomorrow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

can't get this out of my head now. kind of convinced it's a wikipedia prank and i'm going to have to fire up the game to find a Hell level tomorrow.

okay, it's real, but the only way to find one is to go to specific locations and intentionally fall off the stage, which is hard to do accidentally because, as i said, they pretty much allow you to fly the whole game. i don't know how anyone would discover it. it's just a dark room filled with enemies and a door you can see to escape it.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

21. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Put off playing this for uh twenty years while I complained about the new Fallouts. Silver-tongued gunslinger build, where mostly I just watched my party beat everything to death for me. The main quest in this is really drat long - it's mostly compelling, but finally I just said screw it to all my unfinished side quests and barreled ahead to the end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

M.U.S.C.L.E
i checked and this just keeps going for 255 rounds, at which point it resets from the beginning. i won a few rounds and then stopped. it's a wrestling game. i guess it's based on an anime. the controls are simpler than Tag Team Wrestling and overall it's easier. i got through a lot by just jumping off the ropes and smashing into my opponent.

31. Ninja Kid
I actually had the cart for this, but i never played it much - it was given to me by a friend in high school when he decided he didn't want his NES anymore and gave his collection to me. by the time i got it, the existing consoles were the PS2 and the Gamecube, so i only went back to the NES once in awhile. i expected it to be bad based on the previous two games, but this was actually a decent side-scrolling platformer i got the hang of it. the documentation in the game isn't great - every level has a different goal and sometimes it's to kill a bunch of enemies and sometimes it's to collect things or light candles. in some you fly around in a little balloon thing. it took awhile to get the hang of it. wikipedia says that in japan it was based on something more specific, but for a game like this, i think the generic ninja kid thing is fine.

there's even a little overworld map. the stages are randomly selected, as i learned. you can collect weapons and whenever you accomplish the goal, you go back to the map, sometimes after fighting a mini-boss (one of them is a frankenstein!). eventually you earn enough stuff to fight the boss, and you can collect stuff in the stages that will aid you when you go up against him. after playing it for awhile, i checked gamefaqs to see how many stages it has and, like most games from the time, it actually just keeps going. i played it until i had encountered at least one of every type of stage and at least one of every boss, which i'm going to count as beating it.

it's nothing special, but for the time, given the NES library, this is actually a pretty complicated game with a lot of content and a lot to discover.

next up: the first three Capcom releases :hellyeah:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the first couple capcom releases are the terrible micronix ports, enjoy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

the first couple capcom releases are the terrible micronix ports, enjoy

This. I think Commando was the first game they actually developed in-house

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

in the 80s all you needed to make a terrible game was a college kid from osaka with a pc-88 who taught himself basic and was the first person to respond to capcoms ad in the asahi shinbun. now you need a team of 400 Britons + thousands of outsourced indian and chinese qa and 3d modellers to model a single horse tesicle or turn cj into a character from hello neighbor and/or fortnite. tragic

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Dragon's Lair 2: Time Warp

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This. I think Commando was the first game they actually developed in-house

that's one of the first three, all of which were released at the same time. the other 2 are 1942 and Ghosts and Goblins.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

that's one of the first three, all of which were released at the same time. the other 2 are 1942 and Ghosts and Goblins.

In Japan 1942 and G&G came out first and then they dropped Micronics for in-house development

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

you gonna do snes in ten years when this is done bicyclops?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

not sure whether i'd do that or game boy next. leaning toward game boy because i mostly missed out on it, but i have plenty of time to decide.

finally, a game that actually ends! i don't have a ton of experience with shmups but this seems pretty good for the era. the ones i played the most were darius twin and gradius 3 and this was definitely way easier than both, although it's very long and there isn't a ton of variety. i like the dodge maneuver, that felt cool. don't know how much of this is true for the arcade version, but my two biggest complaints are that the boss plane that appears in some levels is kind of a joke (you just cling to one wing and he can't shoot you, lol) and the sound effects are annoying. there's this radar beep that you basically just hear the whole game. my percentage was 85, which surprised me, it felt like i missed more of them.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Sonic Generations

i got it for xbox a few months ago but it had weird audio issues, which is a shame because the music in it is really good, so i havent played it
i loaded it at random tonight and it was good this time so i just beat it in a single sitting while it worked

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sonic generations is so good. the fact they never made dlc levels always made me super sad

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
are the dlc levels for unleashed any good

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i didnt play those cause they were 360/ps3 exclusive but i heard theyre just the regular stages with more spikes. generations was the perfect excuse cause they could just cherry pick random stages from sonic's history and make something

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when sega puts out a good sonic game they always treat it like an aberration or an accident and course correct by never touching those games again and releasing like 3 or 4 garbage titles right after to restore balance

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

are the dlc levels for unleashed any good

do you enjoy grind rails and spikes

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

8. Myst

I assumed I had already played this at some point, but going through nothing was familiar. I was playing the new (ish?) remaster, I'm not sure if there were any real changes other than the free 3D movement and updated graphics. I liked it, some of the puzzles were a bit oldfashioned and I did look up a couple of hints, but overall most of it made sense which isn't always the case with the old point and click adventure games. It felt like a precursor to something like The Witness.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Aston posted:

It felt like a precursor to something like The Witness.

Bruh

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Actraiser Renaissance.

The original is one of my favorite SNES games and this is a lousy imitation of it. There's very little freedom to experiment. If you try to do anything out of the intended order, you get a "milord, thou mustn't sequence break" message. I hate to complain but this remake kind of stinks. Music is still cool though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

25. Dungeon Encounters

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i wish the witness was more like myst. it would be cool to interact with all kinds of stuff on the island instead of exclusively puzzle panels.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

Actraiser Renaissance.

The original is one of my favorite SNES games and this is a lousy imitation of it. There's very little freedom to experiment. If you try to do anything out of the intended order, you get a "milord, thou mustn't sequence break" message. I hate to complain but this remake kind of stinks. Music is still cool though.

its impressively ugly and not bothering to make the backgrounds scroll so it looks like a combo of the worst 16bit console pre-rendered game combined with an atari 2600 platformer is a brave aesthetic choice

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

b_d posted:

i wish the witness was more like myst. it would be cool to interact with all kinds of stuff on the island instead of exclusively puzzle panels.

you interact with a book and it plays a grainy 128x128 pixel quicktime movie of jonathan blow crying while watching soulja boy mercilessly mock braid

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Myst ftw and the shitness ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

you interact with a book and it plays a grainy 128x128 pixel quicktime movie of jonathan blow crying while watching soulja boy mercilessly mock braid

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Metroid Dread, final clear time 6:19:42. Incredible game, one of the best in the series imo and maybe my GOTY