Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/shen_shiwei/status/1451064745604304897

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Underground_RT/status/1450827356432740352

that cant be right ive been told by reliable sources that the soviet union collapsed because they had to do bread lines

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

John Charity Spring posted:

the venezuela thread was fantastic because there were outright fascists posting there about how the communists needed to be slaughtered to save the pure souls of venezuela's children but the liberal contingent would just nod along with them and only get angry if anyone said that maduro and chavez weren't evil

Whatever happened to fnox or whatever his name was, the venezuelan dude with the bird av who embodied the oppressed spirit of the vzn people

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Where's the lie?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/yifullofsin/status/1451006761452900353?s=20

lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jetto Jagga posted:

Whatever happened to fnox or whatever his name was, the venezuelan dude with the bird av who embodied the oppressed spirit of the vzn people

Is an Uyghur now of course.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Are you talking about like Star Wars poo poo? Am I way behind on all this stuff? When you say "missile defense" I'm basically thinking of e.g. early warning systems and so on, and assuming that the SDI-like tech is largely nonexistent or a boondoggle. These new missiles are better at evading whatever we have, but it's not like we were going to shoot down 100% of what they had before, anyway.

If they were serious about deterring a first strike from the US (and they should be, IMO) then I would expect more development of nuclear-equipped submarines. As it stands I'm not sure what to make of this tech or what strategic purpose it's supposed to serve :shrug:

I'm talking about patriot missile poo poo. If I remember properly they've gotten them to [edit: consistently] intercept (non-supersonic but whatever) missiles but sometimes the missiles are too heavy for piddly patriot missiles to do anything to. I'm not saying it works great, I'm just saying that it's not enough for missile defense to not work. The people in possession of those defenses have to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they do not work. As american leaders grow more delusional, the threshold for that increases. Having a thing that absolutely positively cannot be intercepted, even in your enemy's dreams, is an important defensive measure for dealing with a dying empire.

30.5 Days has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Oct 21, 2021

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1451309980804653062?s=21

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

lol as if people pay for that poo poo in India. Comics aficionados will pirate it and the rest will just act like hogs for two weeks before reeeing at a skullcap.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wait, does the US not have hypersonic missiles? Or was this just some new model that blew up on the launchpad?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gulen is just throwing his people all the way into the US anti-communist network I guess

I wonder if he will do interfaith dialogues with the Moonies and Falun Gong

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Underground_RT/status/1450827356432740352

that cant be right ive been told by reliable sources that the soviet union collapsed because they had to do bread lines

this is because of putin. if we put navalny or some other western backed freak in charge htese things will be solved and everything will be gravy again, just like the last time russia was run by an american favoured leader

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

30.5 Days posted:

I'm talking about patriot missile poo poo. If I remember properly they've gotten them to [edit: consistently] intercept (non-supersonic but whatever) missiles but sometimes the missiles are too heavy for piddly patriot missiles to do anything to. I'm not saying it works great, I'm just saying that it's not enough for missile defense to not work. The people in possession of those defenses have to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they do not work. As american leaders grow more delusional, the threshold for that increases. Having a thing that absolutely positively cannot be intercepted, even in your enemy's dreams, is an important defensive measure for dealing with a dying empire.
Thanks for elaborating. Submarine development would have much better ROI here, wouldn't it? I know the Chinese are developing better submarines but they seem still way behind.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

the next few years are going to rule

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

got jokes got jokes

https://twitter.com/MandelaFace/status/1451022254188294146

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Big L for the US comedy circuit that Nick Mullen the biggest pro china voice

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

:flaccid:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Looks like the US MIC can't defy the law of physics.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Thanks for elaborating. Submarine development would have much better ROI here, wouldn't it? I know the Chinese are developing better submarines but they seem still way behind.

you cant know for sure how advanced chinese subs are because of all the secret underground naval bases china built

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If I have magic that stops missiles from arriving, I don't think it matters the specific thing you used to launch the missiles.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mila kunis posted:

That's unfair. They can also rape local women and beat up on random civilians.

not since 1979 :911:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Can Not Enter The Riff Lane

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

paul_soccer12 posted:

Mr. Can Not Enter The Riff Lane

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

"Dark Eagle" u serious? gtfo with that lameass poo poo us army

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Evergrande just managed to make its next bond payment:
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/10/22/evergrande-has-made-83point5-million-bond-interest-payment-chinese-media.html

quote:

Evergrande has remitted the funds for a key interest payment that was due Sept. 23 — ahead of a 30-day grace period that ends Saturday, according to Chinese state media Securities Times.

Shares of Evergrande popped more than 4% on that news.

The $83.5 interest payment on Evergrande's March 2022 offshore bond has been closely watched since the heavily indebted property developer warned twice in September that it may default. Dollar bonds are largely held by foreign investors.

The Securities Times report said Evergrande plans to make the interest payment in time for the Oct. 23 deadline, and that the embattled property developer had remitted the $83.5 million through Citibank. The bank declined CNBC's request for comment.

CNBC has also reached out to Evergrande for comment.

Evergrande missed four other coupon payments in September and October. There are other interest payments on its U.S. dollar bonds due in November and December.

In total, Evergrande has missed payments of at least $279 million since last month, according to Reuters —this figure would include the Sept. 23 payment.

The world's most indebted property developer is buckling under the weight of more than $300 billion in debt, and has been struggling to raise funds to pay suppliers and investors.

Markets had widely expected Evergrande to default on the interest payments, as analysts said domestic investors would be prioritized over foreign investors.

However, last week, China's central bank said property firms that have issued bonds overseas — referred to as offshore bonds — should actively fulfil their debt repayment obligations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

propaganda machine broke

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

propaganda machine broke

there was more than one test

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

roflmaooamakaskfdkfjf

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

also:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
it's nice that cuba might be allowed some room to breathe but i can't help wondering how this is going to work out given their, uh... continental neighbor

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Office Pig posted:

it's nice that cuba might be allowed some room to breathe but i can't help wondering how this is going to work out given their, uh... continental neighbor

why not a different, new and bold take on a classic, like afro-caribbean cuisine meeting sichuan spices

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Good for them.

I hope it doesn't lead to Cuban missile crisis 2.

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Oct 22, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JasminMuj/status/1451390428318625797?s=20

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

edit that poo poo out already, jfc nobody needs to see taht

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is that a Wyatt original??

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

i am truly proud that the proud US Marines will carry on the tradition of the KMT carpetbaggers

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Hubbert posted:

i am truly proud that the proud US Marines will carry on the tradition of the KMT carpetbaggers

The next time will be different because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

30.5 Days posted:

If I have magic that stops missiles from arriving, I don't think it matters the specific thing you used to launch the missiles.
ICBMs and SLBMs are closely-related weapons system but there is still the issue of ICBMs coming from more-or-less a known direction and location (and thus with a pretty easy to predict re-entry profile) vs SLBMs which can come from anywhere. Maybe that doesn't matter anymore? But if that doesn't matter then the risk (and deterrent effect) posed by a hypersonic missile should be similarly low.