Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I think Burning_Monk is right and that there are levels of horseshit and that if you go farther in one direction you get The Expanse (whose fusion rockets work "very well thank you") and if you go far the other way you land in Doctor Who/CW shows

Star Trek should try to stay somewhere between these points but they've been sliding towards the DW side of the scale for a while now and I was iffy about that even when they were getting all WORP PARTICLES on Voyager

like lol remember Anti-Time, a relatively new concept in temporal mechanics-

I’m really struggling with what you mean here. To me DW and ST have never had more than a sliver of daylight between each other, so I don’t know how Trek could “slide” in that direction when it never left.

From The Cage to First First Contact it has always leaned towards the goofier/fantastical side of things.

So when, in your mind, did Star Trek ever approach The Expanse end of the scale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Endless Trash posted:

I’m really struggling with what you mean here. To me DW and ST have never had more than a sliver of daylight between each other, so I don’t know how Trek could “slide” in that direction when it never left.

From The Cage to First First Contact it has always leaned towards the goofier/fantastical side of things.

So when, in your mind, did Star Trek ever approach The Expanse end of the scale?

imo, when janeway and paris turned into lizards

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ChubbyChecker posted:

the difference between fantasy scifi and hard scifi is how many scientists there are on the ships and what they call their space wizards

the technologies and science involved are as realistic
Dammit you just made me remember the episode of Lower Decks with Billups' mom again and the rest of the ren-faire people. :allears:

ChubbyChecker posted:

imo, when janeway and paris turned into lizards
I didn't realise we had a Tamarian posting here.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

green space babes are very "hard" sci fi if you know what i mean!!!!!!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Spock has fuckin' psychic powers.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Endless Trash posted:

Measure of a Man.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Man, next people will be claiming giant Spock isn't hard sci-fi.

What the hell people.

Spock is only hard sci-fi once every 7 years.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In Balance of Terror, they had to stay super quiet so the other spaceship couldn’t hear them. If that isn’t hard scifi I don’t know what is.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

I said Trek should ideally try to find a middle ground between fantastical/grounded stuff, I'm not hugely knowledgeable about Doctor Who but from what I've seen it's a touch more... magical? The guy's ship is a phone booth that's sometimes a gothic library on the inside; various Enterprises (until recently) had a more grounded logic to them. The shows are full of differences like that and Trek obviously isn't consistent, it's not any one thing. I don't know what to tell you.

quote:

I never said it did, and I never said Star Trek was or is supposed to be hard science fiction either.

somebody go ahead and post that clip from kids in the hall because nobody's reading anything anymore lmao

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
love it when people argue in bad faith about genre labels, it owns

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Measure of a Man.
That’s a pretty good philosophical episode, nice metaphors about how we treat other people as less than human just so we can live with the way we abuse them.

But is there any hard science or “hard science”? Not at all. They arrive at the starbase on the aforementioned magic crystal powered starship, and Data’s mind is powered by a wizard’s gallstone “positronic” :rolleyes:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Endless Trash posted:

That’s a pretty good philosophical episode, nice metaphors about how we treat other people as less than human just so we can live with the way we abuse them.

But is there any hard science or “hard science”? Not at all. They arrive at the starbase on the aforementioned magic crystal powered starship, and Data’s mind is powered by a wizard’s gallstone “positronic” :rolleyes:

"Is this robot a person?"

That's not hard science for you? I see you don't intend to discuss this in good faith.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek should try to stay somewhere between these points but they've been sliding towards the DW side of the scale for a while now

Okay so when did this start is what I’m asking.

How do you slide towards Doctor Who when the first episode of your show involves a magical barrier at the edge of the galaxy turning a regular man into a supervillain?

Burning_Monk posted:

"Is this robot a person?"

That's not hard science for you? I see you don't intend to discuss this in good faith.

It’s a courtroom drama harking back to questions of the rights of minorities. They used the word robot and you’re like wow yeah this sure is hard science.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Endless Trash posted:

It’s a courtroom drama harking back to questions of the rights of minorities. They used the word robot and you’re like wow yeah this sure is hard science.

Remind me when they removed the arm of minority in a courtroom drama to prove they weren't a person?

You want it to be anything but what it is.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

star trek pays lip service to science and realism in a way that dr who absolutely doesn't. that doesn't make it hard scifi or whatever - it's still just a fantastical plot device - but it has a very different aesthetic from "timey wimey stuff" even if functionally it's the same

burning monk seems to only or mostly care about the aesthetic. others are more interested in a more standard definition of hard scifi where effort is made to actually make things plausible and situate a realistic trajectory from current scientific practice to whatever the conceit of the setting is

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Remind me when they removed the arm of minority in a courtroom drama to prove they weren't a person?

You want it to be anything but what it is.

And what is it? You’re the guy telling me Star Trek is “hard science” so is it that? Do we learn something about robotics or artificial intelligence? Do they discuss hard problems in either of those fields? Does the audience come away with a better understanding of these fields?

No. Replace android with ork and have Maddox want to dissect the ork to learn how to create a spell to conjure a vast army of ork clonez and it’s the same thing. It’s the philosophy of personhood and inalienable rights. There is no science here.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

There is no science here.

thread title

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

star trek pays lip service to science and realism in a way that dr who absolutely doesn't. that doesn't make it hard scifi or whatever - it's still just a fantastical plot device - but it has a very different aesthetic from "timey wimey stuff" even if functionally it's the same

Thank you! I am stupid and cannot articulate this.

Endless Trash posted:

Okay so when did this start is what I’m asking.

How do you slide towards Doctor Who when the first episode of your show involves a magical barrier at the edge of the galaxy turning a regular man into a supervillain?

I think it's been getting consistently worse about it since late TNG until now modern live action Trek is indistinguishable from other shows in that regard

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tighclops posted:

modern live action Trek is indistinguishable from other shows in that regard

On this we can agree

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Endless Trash posted:

And what is it? You’re the guy telling me Star Trek is “hard science” so is it that? Do we learn something about robotics or artificial intelligence? Do they discuss hard problems in either of those fields? Does the audience come away with a better understanding of these fields?

No. Replace android with ork and have Maddox want to dissect the ork to learn how to create a spell to conjure a vast army of ork clonez and it’s the same thing. It’s the philosophy of personhood and inalienable rights. There is no science here.

It's not "hard science" itself but it does have some in it. "Does a machine has rights when it reaches a certain level of intelligence" is definitely a hard science question. It wouldn't be out of place as a Asimov short story.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

It's not "hard science" itself but it does have some in it. "Does a machine has rights when it reaches a certain level of intelligence" is definitely a hard science question. It wouldn't be out of place as a Asimov short story.

I’d say it’s a philosophical question but hey you know what? I’ll take it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The hardest sci Fi one is where Gul Dukats secret gently caress You program threatens the entire station, and is then overtaken by his former superiors No, gently caress YOU program when he tries to help.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Also the one where Wesley saves the ship from space gaming addiction. Hard hitting hard Sci Fi.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

External Organs posted:

Also the one where Wesley saves the ship from space gaming addiction. Hard hitting hard Sci Fi.

Crusher got some hard science in sub rosa

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

Crusher got some hard science in sub rosa

It's true. I read an almost identical story out of CERN last week.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Burning_Monk posted:

"Does a machine has rights when it reaches a certain level of intelligence" is definitely a hard science question.

Only in the sense that having the characters debate the question doesn't violate any laws of physics.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

"Does a machine has rights when it reaches a certain level of intelligence" is definitely a hard science question.

this is actually a philosophy 103: applied ethics question. philosophy 204: philosophy of science would not discuss this at all, nor would any science curriculum (except where the curriculum requires humanities credits that are often satisfied with philosophy 103: applied ethics)

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I ran the numbers Data and it turns out you’re not sentient. Sorry dude.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Endless Trash posted:

I'm going to counter-pedant here, even monologues by actual scientists explicitly trying to get their ideas across don't give audiences any better understanding of those issues either. I'm referring to TED talks here.

Let's not kids ourselves about dipshit tv viewers gaining an understanding of anything. Did CSI teach people about forensic science or criminal process or the justice system? gently caress no. Honestly, if a show has "a script" or "sets" or "props" or "actors" that's almost a death sentence to any kind of realism. If you're making poo poo up, it takes an honest commitment and 10x the work to try and stay grounded in anything.

The Martian, which is hard sci-fi if anything is, still had some handwaving in "the oxygenator". Star Trek is on a totally different level of reality but it's not worse for that. The Martian is about the only piece of fiction to pay attention to orbits and what they are and how they're the most important thing there is in space.

With all that said, I feel there's a difference between flying in a spaceship that obeys rules vs. a magical phone booth, wardrobe-based portal, or astral projecting yourself with the power of truth.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there's a reason that episode takes place in a courtroom rather than a laboratory.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Fly a starship fast enough around a star and it’s a tardis. The holodeck is a tardis inside that tardis. It’s tardisii all the way down people.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reminder that they found a literal TARDIS in Enterprise

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The shift started when I saw Star Trek 09 and said "that's a pretty good star wars movie."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Reminder that they found a literal TARDIS in Enterprise

I must have missed that episode.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Fly a starship fast enough around a star and it’s a tardis. The holodeck is a tardis inside that tardis. It’s tardisii all the way down people.

you're a tardis

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I want to see a Land's End catalogue of Andorian winter wear.

Can you imagine the hats?? :zoid:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Winifred Madgers posted:

I must have missed that episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIQRSU-J_s

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mycomancy posted:

New Star Trek ranking:
DS9
TNG
LD
TAS
TOS
ENT
Andromeda
Earth: Final Conflict
Xena, Warrior Princess
VOY
making GBS threads into my own eyes
Discovery
Picard

:hmmyes:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

External Organs posted:

I want to see a Land's End catalogue of Andorian winter wear.

Winter wear, or as the Andorians call it, "wear"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Season 2, that explains it. I don't think I caught a lot of that year.