Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

nonathlon posted:

Interesting. I recently played Iberian Rails, which sounds 80% similar. A lighter than 18XX level game, which still some interesting situations like running down a rail line to crash it, leasing other lines to go on, limited cash. Liked it a lot.

Also played the new Friedman Fries game Free Ride, which I'm more on the fence about. It's like Ticket to Ride, but with a much more constrained choice of routes and beiing able to use others lines (at a cost). Unfair about longer-term play but enjoyed it.

I believe you're talking about Iberian Gauge. Iberian Rails is another cube rails game, but it doesn't have track leasing. And yeah, there's a lot of conceptual overlap between... well, all cube rails games, but especially the Capstone's Iron Rails series. The similarities are further emphasized by consistent graphical design. I guess the hope is you get locked into collecting them all, rather than pondering if you need one over the other.
Anyway, I've played them both in recent weeks, and yeah, they're fun. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed RtR after the discord seemed pretty unenthused about it. Though the game I played everyone scored for their shares immediately after delivering a passenger, rather than after the delivery phase. The argument in favour of doing this was that it made what was happening more clear, though the argument against was that it doubled the playing time and quintupled the brain burn from mental arithmetic.
e: I should say, there are actually pretty sweeping differences in play between IR and RtR. They just look like the exact same game if you squint. You don't even need to squint that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah if you're looking for games in that genre, Chicago Express is mostly considered the peak of cube rails, and the iron rails (Irish gauge, ride the rails, Iberian Gauge) are good but people have definite preferences between them. Myself, I really enjoyed Irish, somewhat enjoyed Iberian, and didn't much like ride the rails. To taste!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Thanks both. You're right, it's Iberian Gauge. Interesting the "minor" differences same how it could effect gameplay. As said, I quite liked IG because it was about the complexity level I was up for, seemed like there were interesting directions you could go in and it moved fairly fast. I'm totally naive about Capstone's ouevre, having mentally written them off as JATrainGame.

Should note that my fellow players were fairly lukewarm about IB, for reasons I'm not clear on. It have been just the first play of a game where there's little steer on which direction to go in.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 19, 2021

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Too Many Bones campaign for their latest\last expansion is live.

https://gamefound.com/projects/draft/mldyi3vlyt87cjkg3eznsu18kco#/section/project-story

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Jesus... over a grand for all-in. I gotta think that I will play a hell of a lot of Too Many Bones before I plop down that much cash.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

Did the farm themed sequel to Sprawlopolis come out yet and if so, any comparisons?

I like it. It's also harder than Sprawlopolis.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Loddfafnir posted:

I like it. It's also harder than Sprawlopolis.

Well, I'm sold. The only downside to Sprawlopolis is that it'd be nice if there were some more variety in the scoring cards. Like if you had 36 cards but only ever played with 18 or something.

In other Buttonshy news, we get a ton of play out of Antinomy. It's fun to play, and there's a little room to get more serious if you're into that sort of thing. It does require ~10 time crystals (we use dimes), but you could get by with just one and some paper for scoring.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So i just played the TTS Mod for Messina 1347 and it's pretty good.

The language in the workshop says Korean, but the menu is in English. Setup is done by the Mod, everything else is up to the players.

It runs smoothly and the only problem we had was turning the population wheel. It was set to locked by default so unlocking it solved that.

Played a 2 player game in 1 3/4 hours with explanation.

Second game so far and I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Some nice decisions and again, two different strategies and we ended 79 - 70.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

What is the lore behind too many bones? Like do those little hobbits have too many bones? Did they kill too many critters and have too many bones? Are the dice bones?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Bones" is the name of their plastic miniatures product line.

It's called "Too Many Bones" because that's how many you get.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It is not a bones day.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Is there anyone who would tell me about Solo Games? My dad is going on a business trip overseas from Nov to Feb and I wanted to get him something to do while he's stuck in his hotel room quarantining that isn't just watching whatever movie/show on an ipad. He's a big time wargamer, so no worries on complexity or anything. I know a few good ones, I think Navajo Wars is well regarded and I've played Under Falling Skies. Even just pointing me towards BGG lists would be appreciated, I just use it for rules, so not sure where those are. Priorities would be small footprint, and then how good it is as a solitaire game.

Mostly my plan is to get him Under Falling Skies and something else, and hopefully I can squash the two together in one box.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The follow up to Navajo Wars, Comancheria. Mage Knight (not a small footprint unforutnately, but one of the best board games for playing solo), the Bios games (with typical Phil Eklund caveat). You could also point him towards various board game apps like Galaxy Trucker, Through the Ages, etc

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fellis posted:

Is there anyone who would tell me about Solo Games? My dad is going on a business trip overseas from Nov to Feb and I wanted to get him something to do while he's stuck in his hotel room quarantining that isn't just watching whatever movie/show on an ipad. He's a big time wargamer, so no worries on complexity or anything. I know a few good ones, I think Navajo Wars is well regarded and I've played Under Falling Skies. Even just pointing me towards BGG lists would be appreciated, I just use it for rules, so not sure where those are. Priorities would be small footprint, and then how good it is as a solitaire game.

Mostly my plan is to get him Under Falling Skies and something else, and hopefully I can squash the two together in one box.

Solitaire-only wargames.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

djfooboo posted:

What is the lore behind too many bones? Like do those little hobbits have too many bones? Did they kill too many critters and have too many bones? Are the dice bones?

Actually not sure if it has lore significance but in the game crossed bones is used on the dice instead of 1s. You have a limited dice pool and if you roll any bones that generally means you've ballsed something up, but you also save the bones in a bank to pay for future powerful abilities. That depletes your dice pool and makes you less effective, but most of the combo wombo stuff associated with each character is unlocked this way. So you kind of want bones and you kind of don't.

In a game with some flaws the "bones" mechanic is pretty solid I think. It fits the thematic elements as well. You always feel like you're about to get stomped but are so close to pulling off some ridiculous poo poo. You need to come very close to losing before you can start winning.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hollandspiele has solitaire games, like Wars of Marcus Aurelius, etc. Might be worth a peek. They have wargame genetics and aren't big sprawling things either.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

The bones are their money

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Victory Point Games had a lot of work regarded solo games. With reading the reviews to get a sense of how they work.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fellis posted:

Cartographers.

Or Cartographers Heroes if it's out at retail

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

CaptainApathyUK posted:

The bones are their money

SO are the worms

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fellis posted:

There are several Button Shy wallet games great for this. I take them on work trips all the time.

I'd recommend:

- Sprawlopolis
- Agropolis
- Food Chain Island
- Ugly Gryphon Inn
- Skulls of Sedlec (he'd need the solo expansion for this)
- Ragemore

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fellis posted:

I love to take Celles with me on work trips. It’s a folio game and you have to play both sides but it’s entertaining.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129156/celles-ardennes-december-23-27-1944

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Finally got to playing my copy of Pax Pamir (2nd ed) yesterday. It's amazing as befits a Weahrle design, but holy poo poo there are many moving parts. Anyone else tried it and have some tips for staying ahead in the game?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tias posted:

Finally got to playing my copy of Pax Pamir (2nd ed) yesterday. It's amazing as befits a Weahrle design, but holy poo poo there are many moving parts. Anyone else tried it and have some tips for staying ahead in the game?

Sitting on a way to switch suits or alignments can be really handy to stop the rug being pulled out from under you, and don't get too attached to your tableau.

EDIT: Taking a card just because it has a pile of coins on it is an absolutely valid thing to do.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 21, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also, purple cards are really good.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Taking a bad card with a lot of coins in the market is often a strong move.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also, purple cards are really good.

Yeah the purples are really strong but just be aware how quickly they can vanish as removing tribes from the board isn't too hard.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Aramoro posted:

Yeah the purples are really strong but just be aware how quickly they can vanish as removing tribes from the board isn't too hard.

And removing the card via assassination!

Tias posted:

What play count do you think you'll mostly get at? It's very different at all counts but I mostly play it 2p. If you can get a solid taxing machine going via orange/economic cards you can bleed your opponent and basically get cards for free from the market. Purple cards are great very vulnerable to being taken away if you're not careful. Getting tribes on the board rarely hurts but you want to really keep an eye on which faction is going to be running the show and either hop on board and go for loyalty any way you can (having tons of cash again helps here) or work to create an unsuccessful check so it goes to cylinders.

There's really no exact advice now that I think about it beyond trying to maximise actions on your turn via "free" actions with suit aligned cards. And something small but sort useful to is protecting your purple cards with other ones on either side to keep them semi-buttressed and further for traveling spies to get to.

Be like the a leaf in the water, grasshopper, and go with where the stream takes you lest you be dashed against the rocks...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So the Gloomhaven campaign is finally out in the videogame version!

Now do I try solo or try to find some people for co-op?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MonsieurChoc posted:

So the Gloomhaven campaign is finally out in the videogame version!

Now do I try solo or try to find some people for co-op?

This I want to know as well. I have the physical, but Covid.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I need some help identifying this board game. I've been unsuccessful in translating the name of it at all and was hoping someone might recognize it.

All I can tell is that it was made in 2007, possibly by a company named "C-NO TOY" but I didn't find anything searching that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

FPzero posted:

I need some help identifying this board game. I've been unsuccessful in translating the name of it at all and was hoping someone might recognize it.

All I can tell is that it was made in 2007, possibly by a company named "C-NO TOY" but I didn't find anything searching that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BGG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31735/ni-shi-ki-sliding-samurai-card-chess

Store page:
http://cnotoy.cart.fc2.com/?ca=4

inferis fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 21, 2021

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thank you so much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warriorwithapen/daimyo-senso-a-relaunch?ref=section-games-projectcollection-15-category

This game looks right up my alley. Should I back?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aw Shux is this weekend, and poo poo should be going live soon.

https://twitter.com/SHUXshow/status/1451243144465453057

Print and Play Cartographers should be fun :hmmyes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fun fact I ordered The Red Cathedral at Christmas last year off the basis of the preview from the 2020 Aw Shux.

It has still yet to arrive in Australia...

I was informed it would arrive November..

11 months..

:suicide:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Fun fact I ordered The Red Cathedral at Christmas last year off the basis of the preview from the 2020 Aw Shux.

It has still yet to arrive in Australia...

I was informed it would arrive November..

11 months..

:suicide:

You could have built the real cathedral in that time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Red Cathedral did nothing new for us. I'd recommend getting a refund :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's the principal of the thing now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Infinitum posted:

It's the principal of the thing now :v:

Cathedrals have cardinals, schools have principals.